Hello everyone,
I am using RH6.0 and a linux box with several internal ISA and PCI cards.
On the ISA modems I find that once in a while the modem suddenly refuses to
initialise when using mgetty. On the PCI ethernet card I find that the eth0
link sometimes goes down for no apparent reason or the eth0 interface
refuses to come-up when I boot the system. I am using the Realtec Rtl8129
ethernet card. I get a "cant allocate memory error" when I boot the system
but I dont think this has anything to do with it.
Changing the IRQ settings on the modems or taking out the eth0 card and
reinstalling it seems to fix the problem for a while, but after a few days
the problem reappears. Sometimes just rebooting the box fixes it.
I use an Award Modular plug and play bios which can configure the IRQ's for
the PCI slots manually. I use modems with jumper settings and set the IRQ's
using setserial.
I have read a note from someone on this list that using internal ISA and
PCI cards is not a good idea but is this a bug or do I need to upgrade some
package or apply a patch or something?
Thanks for any hints or ideas
Regards
Rajiv