Linux-Setup Digest #22, Volume #19               Wed, 28 Jun 00 10:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Can't install kernel-source ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  AMD linux Laptop ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  new install error ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  new install error ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Actual memory vs top, /proc/meminfo ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  new install error ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to turn on remote root login? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RedHat 6.2 remote access problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to turn on remote root login? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  apache and DNS on same machine ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Actual memory vs top, /proc/meminfo ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  SCSI and network card conflict? Linux refuses to boot. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Is Samba installed with Redhat 6.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  FAT bread failed ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  NFS and mounting ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Is Samba installed with Redhat 6.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Is Samba installed with Redhat 6.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  modem help needed by newbie! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  NFS and mounting ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  tutto in italiano (--gi0x®[EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RH5.2 won't mount RH6.1 file system ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Setting up Personal LAN through TCP/IP on Internet ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't install kernel-source
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:18 GMT

From: "Mel Arnold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Using RPM to install kernel-source.  Error message returned
"kernel-headers=2.2.5 is needed by kernel-source 2.2.5-15"
The file "kernel-headers 2.2.5-15" is on the CDROM in the same
 directory.
Redhat does not list the problem nor a fix.
Any help is appreciated.

Particulars.

Redhat 6.0 Hedwig
Kernel 2.2.5-15
RPM 3.0.2
Intel Pentium platform
booting from floppy disk with dedicated 1 G hard drive  for Linux
CDROM is publisher's edition came with Barkakati's third edition of
 "Secrets
of Redhat Linux'

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: AMD linux Laptop
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:18 GMT

From: Draco Ravenloft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

ok...  I really don't trust Compaq, but then again I HAVE only used
 it in
conjunction with Windoze, and I abhore their prices..  but I guess it
couldn't hurt since I've seen so many people respond with favorable
comments about their portable line.

And the Athlons only run 1/2- 1/3?!  Everything I'd ever read or
 heard
was that among better and faster overall architecture, they kept
outrunning the PIIIs by going full, while the PIII was lucky to make
 1/2.

now I'm REALLY impressed...
Where can I find a smp thunderbird or duron motherboard?! :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: new install error
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:18 GMT

From: Lei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,

I just got a Dell Pentium III T700r with 30G (7200 rpm), ATA 66
 controller.
The RedHat 6.2 installation procedure says:

fdisk /dev/hda cannot be opened.

So it will not proceed.  I have never seen this before.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

--
Lei Wang
Research Associate

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:18 GMT

From: Greg Yantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Lei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,

> I just got a Dell Pentium III T700r with 30G (7200 rpm), ATA 66
 controller.
> The RedHat 6.2 installation procedure says:

> fdisk /dev/hda cannot be opened.

> So it will not proceed.  I have never seen this before.  Any ideas?

Is your IDE controller supported?

-Greg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Actual memory vs top, /proc/meminfo
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:18 GMT

From: Steve Emmett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Warf

Thanks!  Now I guess the question is why I didn't find that in the
 LILO
documentation.

--

Steve

              Steve Emmett
"A mind that is stretched to a new idea
 never returns to its original dimension"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: Lei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have

Promise Technologies' Ultra 66 controller.  Is it not supported?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: After reboot, X can start by startx, but when started automatically
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: Mingyi Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"ne..." wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2000 at 22:26, Mingyi Liu eloquently wrote:
>
> >I'm using Redhat6.0. I recently shutdown linux using ctrl-alt-del
 and it
> >caused a problem: After the X started up automatically (I
 configured it to
> >do so), it hanged at grey screen and only mouse is functional. I
 got kind
> >help here and took the suggestion to use ctrl-alt-F1 to go to
 console, after
> >which I used Xconfigurator to prevent X start automatically. Then
 after I
> >log in through console and try startx, X started without any
 glitch (even
> >though my desktop now has a lot of icons that I don't remember I
 had
> >before)! However, I can never let X start automatically (it will
 hang there
> >without letting me log in), I can only log in through console and
 start X
> >later.  Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working, then
 which one
> >could it be?
> Check your /etc/inittab file. You will need to change
> the default runlevel from 5 to 3.
>
> --
> Registered Linux User # 125653
> How come wrong numbers are never busy?
>  12:36pm  up 10 days, 11:44,  7 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.17,
 0.11

Thanks, I set it to 3 now.

Mingyi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to turn on remote root login?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)

>Yes, and no.
>
>An su'd user first still has his user $PATH, which may or may not be
 the
>roots $PATH.  So to get full functionality on some systems, he will
>either have to give the full path to somethiing thats not in *his*
>$PATH, or manually add to his $PATH.
>
>I've been told that an 'su -- -root' fixes that, but it doesn't on
 either
>of my systems.

su - root

works, on many systems I've used, setting things as per a standard
 root
login.

But, this is what ssh and such were designed for anyway ;0).

Frinky

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RedHat 6.2 remote access problems
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I custom installed RH 6.2, installing all included packages. I'm
 running

ftp, telnet, smtp, http, and pop-3. I can access my computer remotely
 on
all
of these ports. Until a remote-session times out.

I am accessing my computer remotely, from my other Win 95 computer
downstairs.
I don't have my two local computers connected via the local net, so
 I'm
accessing
my Linux box via the internet. If I'm in an active telnet session,
 and I
walk away
from the computer for a minute or two, the telnet session on my Win
 95
box
freezes. After that, I cannot get back into my Linux box, regardless
 of
which port I try. I walk upstairs to the Linux box, kill the remote
 bash
session,
and all appears well. Until I try to connect remotely again. No
 telnet,
no ftp,
no http, etc.

Having exhausted all other routes, the only way I can successfully
 log
into my
Linux box from the internet is to reboot the Linux machine. I know
 that
it is the
Linux box, because even after the remote telnet sessions freeze up on
 my

Windows 95 box, I can still use Win 95 to telnet to other computers
 --
indicating it's not theWin 95  telnet program causing the problem.

Please tell me what else I can do.
Thanks,
Eric
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett wrote:

CSR> actually, if you "su -" it will act as if you had just
logged in
CSR> as root.  I've not been able to find one that root can do
that
CSR> "su -" cannot.  It is also *much* safer.

> Yes, and no.
>
> An su'd user first still has his user $PATH, which may or may not
 be the
> roots $PATH.  So to get full functionality on some systems, he will
> either have to give the full path to somethiing thats not in *his*
> $PATH, or manually add to his $PATH.
>
> I've been told that an 'su -- -root' fixes that, but it doesn't on
 either
> of my systems.

If you use the "su - [username]" syntax, su will start the
session with [username]'s environment.  If you just use "su -" su
will assume the username is "root,"  prompt you for the root
password and then start a session with root's environment.  It
does this because the "-" switch tells su to start a "login"
shell for the session, which of course runs the standard login
scripts to set up the environment.  From "man su:"

       -, -l, --login
              make the shell a login shell

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: apache and DNS on same machine
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:18 GMT

From: rickh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a test setup in my office on which I am running Caldera's 2.3
openlinux. In addition I have the appache web server loaded and the
Bind/dns module (named) running.  This system is connected to a hub
 that
also has a win98 workstation connected to it.  I think I have the
 named
modules configured properly on the Linux box as I can run nslookup on
the box and get an appropriate reply.  Here is my problem(s).

If I try to access the appache index.html page by entering
Linux.test.com (domain and server name of test box) into the location
box of the netscape browser on the work station, the browser will
 time
out with the server not found error.  I can enter nslookup at the
 server
console and it will respond with the IP address as it should.  If I
enter the IP address of the server into the location box on the work
station, I  will get the server not available error but when I click
 the
OK box on the error, it will load apache index.html page as it
 should.
If it try to run a cgi script -- http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/rpm_query
 --
this is a known good script, I will get the server not available
 error.

I have checked the servername entry in the httpd.conf(?) and it is
correct, the scriptaliase lines in the config files are right, the
windows 98 resolver for tcp/ip is setup correctly -- I think. I am at
lose here.  Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:38:39 -0500, Steve Emmett
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Warf
>
>Thanks!  Now I guess the question is why I didn't find that in the
 LILO
>documentation.

Not a lilo problem, per se. This question gets asked so often google
probably has at least one box dedicated to all the posts on this
 subject. <g>

--
Hal B
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SCSI and network card conflict? Linux refuses to boot.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: Martin Tullier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am watching with interest the RedHat SCSI problems.  This is
the 3 case posted and I too have a problem.

I saw your posts about the problems you were having.  I am
experiencing a similar thing.
Have you had any success?  If you figure it out please let me
know how and if i should figure it out I'll let you know.

I am running:
RedHat 6.1 standard kernel (using modules)
Adaptec 1542cf   disk -- adapter -- tape -- tape
like you I am not booting from the disk.

I read all of the responses to your post, checked everything
over and when I use "modprobe aha1542" I had the same time
consuming initialization that fails.  "lsmod" show that the
module fails to initialize.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Is Samba installed with Redhat 6.2
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: danc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ronald Cole wrote:

> Patricia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >When installing Gnome or KDE desktop in Redhat 6.2 does it also
 install
> > >Samba?
> > >How do i check to see if Samba is installed?
> >
> > in a terminal type whereis samba
> > this should give something like
> > [pat@localhost pat]$ whereis samba
> > samba: /usr/sbin/samba /usr/man/man7/samba.7
>
> Better is "rpm -qa | grep samba".  Best is to just get the
> samba-2.0.7-4 rpms off of updates.redhat.com and install those for
> the security fixes.
>
> --
> Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
> Ronald Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      Phone: (760) 499-9142
> President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
> My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3
 B00B

OK, it's installed, but how to get it to work? I've tried everything.
 I'm at
work on an NT4 ethernet. I have a second desktop machine running
 Readhat 6.2
as a proof of concept to start replacing
windows with Linux. I need to get SAMBA working. I tried  commands
 like
these, as well as all the permutations, (10.2.1.135 is my NT4 machine
 on our
DHCP ethernet, shared is the name of the share I
created on it to share to Linux,   /root/dchaplin is the directory I
 created
in Linux to map the NT share to):

smbmount -I //10.2.1.135/shared/  /root/dchaplin

smbclient  //10.2.1.135/shared/ -U danc -I 10.2.1.135 -N

can anyone steer me to a simple fool-proof guide to set up SAMBA so I
 can
access my NT4 workstation through the ethernet with my REDHAT BOX ON
 THE SAME
ETHERNET?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: Mingyi Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Craig Kelley wrote:

> "Mingyi Liu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I'm using Redhat6.0. I recently shutdown linux using ctrl-alt-del
 and it
> > caused a problem: After the X started up automatically (I
 configured it to
> > do so), it hanged at grey screen and only mouse is functional. I
 got kind
> > help here and took the suggestion to use ctrl-alt-F1 to go to
 console, after
> > which I used Xconfigurator to prevent X start automatically. Then
 after I
> > log in through console and try startx, X started without any
 glitch (even
> > though my desktop now has a lot of icons that I don't remember I
 had
> > before)! However, I can never let X start automatically (it will
 hang there
> > without letting me log in), I can only log in through console and
 start X
> > later.  Why is that? Is there some loadup script not working,
 then which one
> > could it be?
>
> gdm or xdm is run from /etc/inittab for runlevel 5 (which is what
 you
> mean by "X started up automatically")
>
> Did you, by chance, upgrade X11 recently?  Is gdm still installed?
 Do
> you get any errors verifying X11?
>
> rpm --verify XFree86
> rpm --verify gdm
>
> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP
 block

I verified XFree86, here's the output:
SM5....T /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.dir
I also verified gdm, nothing was output (I guess it's fine).
Now my run level is set at 3 because I did not want to have X
 automatically
started.

I also checked inittab, the last several lines are:

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Do you think there's something wrong with that?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Mingyi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FAT bread failed
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

arno wrote:

> Any ideas???

I have also seen this while updating some packages. I based off
 Mandrake
7.0 and "spidermonkeyed" gnome up. Then manually added some packages
 via
rpm -i and got "FAT bread failed".

Are you using a laptop, by chance? If so, have you exchanged your bay
between CDROM and floppy?

Sorry this is not an answer, but if I find one or figure it out, I'll
 post
it. I'm just trying to collect more info to help find the cause.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: NFS and mounting
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: Michael Nadler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Was the Linux CD-ROM mounted in /mnt/cdrom?  If not, that could
 explain the
NFS mount error.  An fstype problem perhaps?

If it was mounted properly, you might post your /etc/exports,
 /etc/fstab
entries related to the CDROM.

And, if you ever change /etc/exports, you always have to follow that
 with:

    killall -HUP rpc.mountd
    killall -HUP rpc.nfsd

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a CD-ROM drive that is part of my Linux box. I want to
 install
> software on my SGI machine using the CD-ROM that is a part of the
 Linux
> box. So I thought I could edit the /etc/exports file and the
 hosts.allow
> file on the Linux box and then edit the fstab file on the SGI.
 Well, I

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: danc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: danc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: modem help needed by newbie!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: "Tim Bartek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My modem used to work on LM 6 but now on LM 7 nothing I do seems to
 work.
I've tried the setserial command, and also setting the irq to
 autoconfig but
can't get anything out of it.  On windows my modem is com3 irq 5.  It
 is not
a "winmodem".  Does anyone have any ideas please?

------------------------------

From: --gi0x®[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: tutto in italiano
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: "--Gi0X®--" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

linux e oltre

--

-Gi0X®-
www.geocities.com/gioxburton

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RH5.2 won't mount RH6.1 file system
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: "mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Error is "Can't mount RDWR because of unsupported optional features."

mount: wront fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/foo,
             or too many mounted file systems.

I mount RO and everthing seems fine.

I had this great idea to copy stuff from system running RH5.2 to a RH
 6.1
formatted disk.

Is there a way to get by this?

Thanks

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Setting up Personal LAN through TCP/IP on Internet
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:19 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Koen Van de Velde)

Hi Tom,

this sounds like a microsoft-problem to me.
The whole network neighbourhood-stuff relies on a
Master-browser-computer. In a workgroup environment, this is the
computer that was first powered on / in an NT-environment, this
probably is the Primary Domain Controller. Other computers tell the
master-browser that they are online, and contact the master-browser
see of there 'fellows' are online.  This mechanisme has timeouts of
about 15 minutes (or more if the master-browser goes down).

If I remember well, the looking-for-masterbrowsers mechanisme uses
broadcasts, which are not routed by your linux-router. And that's
 your
problem.

You can use : Start | Run | '\\192.168.1.1\sharename'
if you know the remote-pc's ip (notice this works fine on NT but not
always on win9x)

Even better : create a lmhosts-file with the computername - ipnumber
relationship and use : start| run| \\computername\share'  (this works
fine on win9x to)

If you really need to use dynamic ip's ; I'm afraid that M$ forces
 you
to install a WINS-server (this one takes over the master-browser
 job).
All clients (locale & remote) should point to this server as there
wins-server and notify it when the power-on/down.  The others can
 then
contact the wins-server to see if their colleges are 'alive'.

Hope this helps you out (a bit) ;-)

BTW : I'm on the other end of the problem.  My M$-environment is
working (fine), but I would like to setup the VPN-connection using a
linux-router.  Can you point me to the right documentation that
 helped
you to configure it ?  Thanx in advance !

Koen.

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:43:20 GMT, tom_blank@*nospam*hotmail.com (Tom
M) wrote:

>I am trying to set up a personal LAN for home. There is however a
>catch.
>
>On this LAN I have my 3 computers. All set up correctly and working
 on
>the LAN ( they can be detected through network neighbourhood ) ( all
>are win9x workstations ).
>
>I would also like to allow friends of mine to connect to this LAN
 from
>their home boxes so we can all be on the same network at once ( all
>visible through Network Neighbourhood ).
>
>I have set up PPTPD on my Linux box to allow them to log in and use
>the 192.168.X.X addresses as I have on my Internal network. They can
>connect fine using the Microsoft VPN Adapater, and route through me
>fine but are not visible through network neighbourhood. ( they can
 be
>pinged on their 192.168.x.x ip )
>
>Am I using the correct daemon to attach these computers?
>With PPTPD is there a method to enable broadcasting across the
 subnet?

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest