Linux-Setup Digest #32, Volume #19               Thu, 29 Jun 00 09:13:14 EDT

Contents:
  TABLE.TBL in my own custom Red Hat distro CD (Kheng-Teong Goh)
  Re: apache setup (norm)
  sendmail and alias file (Jan-Willem Vonk)
  setting up kppp on USRobotics 56K fax modem ("JJ")
  driver IBM etherjet ISA adapter (suri)
  Re: Kernel rebuilt process? (Sasa Ostrouska)
  Re: Can't "make" newsx (George Kapuscinski)
  Re: Sharing files ("Ed Bras")
  lexmark 5700 printer drivers ("JJ")
  Where's the kernal source? ("Ken & Sue Krozel")
  Backspace doesn't work properly in vi ? ("Ed Bras")
  Re: Starting SAMBA server (Raffael Herzog)
  Re: help : nis and group (Andrei Ivanov)
  Need  help installing  printer (James)
  Geforce2 on Suse 6.4 ? (Georg Heimel)
  Re: Where are WU FTP log files (Liam Gretton)
  Re: clustering/raid (Raymond Doetjes)
  Re: Where's the kernal source? (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Linux Install Lockup (DeAnn Iwan)
  Re: xset dpms no longer works ("Ferdinand V. Mendoza")

From: Kheng-Teong Goh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: TABLE.TBL in my own custom Red Hat distro CD
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:20:14 +0800

==============874DFB9A9B5355BD382BD4D7

Hi,

May I know what is the function of TABLE .TBL in the RPMS folder in Red
Hat 6.2 cd?

I need to know because I'm removing the packages from my version of Red
Hat. And I upgraded the kernels rpms.

Thanks in advance.

ps I'm running out of time.

==============874DFB9A9B5355BD382BD4D7

begin:vcard
n:Goh;Kheng Teong
tel;work:603-55199522
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://pwp.maxis.net.my/khengteong
org:Volvo Information Technology Asia
adr:;;Gate 1, Jalan Bicu 15/6,;Shah Alam;Selangor;40000;Malaysia
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:nobody
x-mozilla-cpt:;32672
fn:Kheng Teong Goh
end:vcard

==============874DFB9A9B5355BD382BD4D7==

------------------------------

From: norm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: apache setup
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:30:05 GMT

I'm banging my head over the same problem as Peader...i've got RH6.2
running and am getting the 403 Forbidden error as well just trying to load
up the index page. In my error log it says "client denied by server
configuration: /home/httpd/html"

any suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:11:01 +0800
From: Jan-Willem Vonk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sendmail and alias file

I have a Linux 6.0 running as a mail relay station but it seems that the
alias file is not working at all.
All mail flows straight through the mail relay to the mailserver without
any interference.
Only mail directly entered on the mail relay will use the aliasfile.

Anyone any suggestion?

------------------------------

From: "JJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: setting up kppp on USRobotics 56K fax modem
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 05:11:49 -0000

Hello everybody!
I recently installed the latest version of Mandrake and still can't get an
internet connection with kppp. The linux.org site says my modem should be
recognized and I get it to dial out with the mini terminal option under kppp
but for some reason it hangs when I try to establish a connection via kppp.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks,
Alex

------------------------------

From: suri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: driver IBM etherjet ISA adapter
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:03:22 +0530

hi
could anybody help me in getting the driver for IBM etherjet ISA
adapter,
thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: Sasa Ostrouska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel rebuilt process?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:59:13 GMT

You can find all this info in the KERNEL-HOWTO probably on your hard drive
if not
you can go to http://www.linuxdoc.org

bye sasa

--
==================================
R.C. di Ostrouska Sasa

Tel.+39-0432-510330
Fax.+39-0432-505997
Mobile.+39-348-2202308

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://www.rcdiostrouska.it
ICQ: 48850582
==================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: loading modules
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:03:41 GMT

I have a problem loading modules after upgrading from kernel 2.2.12 to
2.2.16. I cannot boot up from the SCSI drive if I try to load the
driver as a module (having created the initrd file), but if I load the
driver directly into the kernel it works fine. Also the network card
driver will only load if it is in the kernel as opposed to a module.
The /etc/conf.modules file is OK, works under 2.2.12 anyway.

Anybody experienced similar problems?

TIA

Mark.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Kapuscinski)
Subject: Re: Can't "make" newsx
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:17:47 GMT

On 28 Jun 2000 14:36:34 GMT, Colin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
>Are those really spaces before the second, third, sixth, and seventh
>lines of the Makefile above? They should be tab characters.

Thanks Colin.  I rewrote the Makefile using your suggestions and it
worked.

George Kapuscinski

------------------------------

From: "Ed Bras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sharing files
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:18:18 +0200

Thanks for the anwsers,

However, I still have some questions:

1: I don't exactly understand what the s bit does to help me sharing files ?
I thought that it only takes care that all programs are executed with the id
of the users if the s bit is set ?

2: I could use the umask for every user such that when they create a file,
write rights are given to the group. However I don't want this to happen for
every file, but only in one directory. How can I do that ?

Regards,
Ed Bras

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "JJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: lexmark 5700 printer drivers
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 06:23:27 -0000

Does anyone know anything about printer drivers and more importantly
anything on this printer.
The company said tough luck -- this works only in Windoze so I am trying to
find some kind of alternate/compatible drivers or some way to build one.
Thanks,
Alex

------------------------------

From: "Ken & Sue Krozel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where's the kernal source?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 06:31:32 -0500

I've downloaded a new driver for my soundcard, and need to recompile the
modules.  I looked in the /usr/src directory as instructed, but find no
"linux" directory, only "linux-2.2.13" placed there during my Mandrake 6.5
install.  This directory has only an "include" sudirectory, and NONE of the
make files etc necessary to "make modules".  How can I compile the new
module?  I've read that I shouldn't have to recompile the kernal to install
a new module...true?

------------------------------

From: "Ed Bras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Backspace doesn't work properly in vi ?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:25:12 +0200

I use WinXPro and backspace doesn't work properly in vi. It generates ^?
It only happens when using XWinPro.

Regards,
Ed Bras

------------------------------

From: Raffael Herzog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting SAMBA server
Date: 29 Jun 2000 13:32:50 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith) writes:

[...]

> On most Linux systems, you can create startup scripts in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d and then create links to those scripts in the
> appropriate /etc/rc.d/rc?.d or /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc?.d directories to
> start the daemons when the system enters an appropriate runlevel (the ?s
> in the preceding directory names are runlevel numbers). SuSE's YaST
> should be able to handle this automatically. Unfortunately, SuSE's YaST
> and I have never gotten along, and my SuSE system doesn't seem to do
> what I expect with respect to the startup scripts, so it's obvious that
> SuSE is doing something a bit different from other Linuxes, although I
> don't know precisely what.

Yes, it's a bit different. If you take a look at /sbin/init.d/smb
you'll see the following lines:

  # Determine the base and follow a runlevel link name.
  base=${0##*/}
  link=${base#*[SK][0-9][0-9]}

  # Force execution if not called by a runlevel directory.
  test $link = $base && START_SMB=yes
  test "$START_SMB" = "yes" || exit 0

If you typed "rcsmb start" START_SMB will be set to yes anyway. Else,
the value defined in /etc/rc.config will be used. If START_SMB is not
yes, the service won't be started although the links are present in
/sbin/init.d/rc?.d.

--
Raffael Herzog
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrei Ivanov)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: help : nis and group
Date: 29 Jun 2000 11:33:41 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Jean Maeght <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Does your /var/yp/nicknames file contain the "group group.byname"
>> record?
>
> Yes:
> client$ cat /var/yp/nicknames
> group
> group.byname

You mean "group group.byname" in one line, separated by white space,
or "group\ngroup.byname", i.e. exactly as you wrote above?

--
andrei

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James)
Subject: Need  help installing  printer
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:42:31 GMT

Just loaded Corel Linux 1.1.  My HP DeskJet 820 Cse printer doesn't
function.  Am under the impression that no drivers were installed for
this printer ( don't see the printer mentioned in the Control Center
as one that I can install).
Found the drivers for the printer  on the Net and would like to
install them.  How do I do that?

------------------------------

From: Georg Heimel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Geforce2 on Suse 6.4 ?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:45:08 +0200

Hi !

I have troubles to no end with getting the XF86_SVGA Server (resolutions
more than 640x480, more thean 16 colors) to run on my system:

Asus K7V Motherboard with Apollo Pro 133A Chipset
        supports 133Mhz FSB, AGP Pro Slot, ..
AMD K7 Athlon 800 MHz
SuSe Linux 6.4 (Kernel 2.2.14)

I think the rest is not important.

What did I do so far:

I installed XFree86 4.0 as described on SuSe homepage -> no problem
I downloaded Drivers from the NVidia Hompage
            Build version .093
            tar (not rpm) for non-redhat users
I installed the drivers
            A module "NVdriver" is now linked to the kernel

Still i cannot get the SVGA server to run.

Can Anybody give me a detailed description of eactly how to "install new
display drivers" in linux?
Has anybody succeeded in installing a Geforce(2) in linux? How EXACTLY
(please detailed step by step, As you have probably noticed, I am a
complete nerd!)?

Thanx

                                   Dipl. Ing. Georg Heimel

  Institute for Solid State Physics       Phone: ++43/(0)316/873-8972
  University of Technology Graz
  Petersgasse 16                                 Fax:
++43/(0)316/873-8478
  A-8010 Graz
  Austria                                    email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Liam Gretton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where are WU FTP log files
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:46:20 +0100

In article <8j8nub$4rf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <URL:mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Where is the canonical place where the WU FTP log files are stored?

It depending on how you built wu-ftp. I think by default, and if you're
using tcp-wrappers, it will log to the DAEMON facility, so check
/etc/syslog.conf.

Otherwise, and this is how I have wu-ftp setup, it may be logging to the FTP
facility, and you may not have syslog configured to use this at all. Try
adding

ftp.*          /var/log/ftp

to your /etc/syslog.conf file, then HUP syslogd and see if your ftp logs
start getting written.

--
Liam Gretton                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Space Research Centre,                             http://www.src.le.ac.uk/

------------------------------

From: Raymond Doetjes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: cz.comp.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: clustering/raid
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:51:42 +0200

You first need to specify what kinda cluster you'd like.
For a hot standby failover/ha cluster you don't need a lot of
raid-stuff. A Y-scsi cable and 2 SCSI controllers are enough.
For a parallel-cluster (high performance calulating cluster) you don't
need a HA file system.

Raymond

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: Where's the kernal source?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:58:56 GMT

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 06:31:32 -0500, "Ken & Sue Krozel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've downloaded a new driver for my soundcard, and need to recompile the
>modules.  I looked in the /usr/src directory as instructed, but find no
>"linux" directory, only "linux-2.2.13" placed there during my Mandrake 6.5
>install.  This directory has only an "include" sudirectory, and NONE of the
>make files etc necessary to "make modules".  How can I compile the new
>module?  I've read that I shouldn't have to recompile the kernal to install
>a new module...true?

/usr/src/linux is usually a link to the appropriate /usr/src/linux*
directory. In your case, /usr/src/linux should (would) link to
/usr/src/linux-2.2.13. You can add the link yourself, or not.

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux Install Lockup
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:11:36 -0400

Andrey Vlasov wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> you should use Windows system floppy and run command
>
> fdisk /MBR
>
> it will remove lilo from MBR. After that use fdisk as usually and
> partiotion disk according your requirements.
>
> Andrey

     Old DOS fdisk did not handle non-MS partitions well.  If your DOS
fdisk cannot see/handle non-MS partitions, you can get DR DOS--which
will-- or make a linux rescue/boot floppy (from net sources or your red
hat cd) and get linux fdisk to delete the linux partitions.

------------------------------

From: "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: xset dpms no longer works
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:22:24 +0400

I have the same problem and if you set the settings
on the DPMS it will tell you a warning that
the current XFree 4.0 on Mandrake 7.1 has been
compiled without DPMS support.
Some other posts had suggested to add options DPMS
line on both the screen and monitor section of the
config file. I still have to confirm this.

Ferdinand

Shippy! wrote:

> I've recently installed Linux Mandrake 7.1 and I'm using
> XFree86 4.0. Before, I was running RedHat Linux 6.1 with
> XFree86 3.3.6 When I used to run RedHat, I had a line in
> my .xinitrc that said 'xset dpms 0 0 300' and after 5
> minutes of idle time my monitor would go into sleep mode.
>
> Now, I'm still trying to use that same line to make my
> monitor sleep, but it no longer turns off. Even if I
> say 'xset dpms force off', my monitor doesn't turn off.
> I'm sure it has something to do with the new X server
> I'm running, but I'm not sure how to fix it.
>
> X detects my monitor as a standard SVGA and my video
> card is an nVIDIA TNT2 running with 32bpp at 1024x768.
> If anybody could help me fix this, I would really appreciate
> it. Thanks!
>
> --
> +-----------------------------------------------------+
> | Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
> | Computer Science Major    ICQ: 1786493              |
> | New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology       |
> | Homepage: http://www.nmt.edu/~shippy                |

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest