Linux-Setup Digest #40, Volume #19               Fri, 30 Jun 00 09:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: kernel panic (Aravind Sadagopan)
  Re: kernel panic ("michael.fengler")
  Re: yet another LILO problem (Eric)
  Re: X-windows (Eric)
  invalid profile in WINE (torus2000)
  Re: starting files... ("Pfunk")
  Re: DSL Question... (Richard Steiner)
  Re: Need Rescue/LILO Help ("David ..")
  Re: yet another LILO problem ("David ..")
  my computer has a SCSI hardisk,but i can not install linux? ("jacky cui")
  Re: Another Kernel build question ("David ..")
  Re: kernel panic ("David ..")
  Re: how to install RH 6.0 on SCSI computer? ("David ..")
  Re: Copying files to Win98 directory (Eric)
  Red Hat 6.2 can't mount NFS shares (John Winters)
  Re: 3Com Etherlink III ( 509B ) ("Chua")
  Re: Red Hat 6.2 can't mount NFS shares (Paul Rudin)
  Re: X-windows (Patricia)
  Re: Need  help installing  printer (Eric)
  Re: Making  A New Boot Disk \ Updated kernel ("Andrew E. Schulman")
  SuSE ftp upgrade - install medium not chosen ("Gregor Giebel")
  My first install RedHat 6.2 Cant start X ("JS")
  Re: Can Linux Read/Write to NTFS????? ("Jesus M. Salvo Jr.")
  Re: Newbie needs help....  Dialup Problem with Caldera Distribution (Christopher
Adams)
  Re: "screen" problems while using a vt320 (Thomas Dickey)

From: Aravind Sadagopan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: kernel panic
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:29:38 +0800

beo wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> When I reboot my SuSE 6.2 , my computer just freeze after the message below.
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks!!
>
> *Partition check:
> *request_module[block_major_8]: root fs not mounted
> *VFS:cannot open root device 08:01
> *Kernel Panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

I need more details.. Maybe your SCSI disk is not recognized by the kernel (if
you have one)
Wild guess.. but may help you if I know your system config

aravind

------------------------------

From: "michael.fengler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:15:25 +0200

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, beo wrote:

>When I reboot my SuSE 6.2 , my computer just freeze after the message below.
>*VFS:cannot open root device 08:01
>*Kernel Panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

Did you compile SCSI-Support as a module (or perhaps ext2)? You need
to have them in the kernel, otherwise the system would have to load
them in order to be able to load them...

- mike

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: yet another LILO problem
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:41:15 GMT

Dave Slutzkin wrote:

> I'm using Red Hat 6.1.
>
> I installed the OS and everything worked, so I set it up dual boot with NT
> Loader and everything still worked correctly.  Then I realised I needed the
> 'append "mem=128M"' line in lilo.conf and put that in, ran /sbin/lilo and

IIRC the correct syntax is append="mem=128M"

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-windows
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:55:51 GMT

Patricia wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, sylvain hutchison wrote:
> >I'm new to Linux, and I was wondering what do I have to do to run
> >X-windows from the start, without having to type startx or whatever,
> >every time I reboot.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Sly.
> Sly
>
> login as root of su
> edit /etc/inittab
> replaceid:5:initdefault: (default startup in tekstmode)
> with   id:3:initdefault: (default startup in X mode)
> this is for Redhat

Nope, for RH it's just the other way around :-)

Eric

------------------------------

From: torus2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: invalid profile in WINE
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:30:04 GMT

I loaded wine-20000526-7 rpm package on my RH linux 6.0. I set up the
wine.conf....When I tried to execute calc.exe on windows partition. The
screen said  Invalid path C:\windows\user.dat for profile directory.

I thought that I should point the profile in [wine] category as
C:\windows\user.dat ( since user.dat is located /mnt/win98/windows/ )
Is this path incorrect? Could anyone help me how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Torus2000

------------------------------

From: "Pfunk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: starting files...
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:42:24 +0200

Thanx a lot

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Subject: Re: DSL Question...
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:35:07 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.setup, Bryan Roseberry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Where can I go to find out what modems - external and internal - are DSL
>compatible? I want to have DSL here and I don't want USWest to send me a
>modem that isn't Linux compatible.

If you're using USWest, have them send you a Cisco 675 if you can.  It
talks to your box using standard 10BaseT (or 100BaseTX) ethernet, and
shouldn't require anything of your OS except a working TCP/IP stack and
a working NIC (network interface card).

That's what I use here.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Rescue/LILO Help
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:40:44 -0500

With the rescue disk at the prompt enter:

        linux root=/dev/sdaX

where X is the correct root device. Possibly sda3 , sda5

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:43:41 -0500

Dave Slutzkin wrote:

> I'm using Red Hat 6.1.
>
> I installed the OS and everything worked, so I set it up dual boot with NT
> Loader and everything still worked correctly.  Then I realised I needed the
> 'append "mem=128M"' line in lilo.conf and put that in, ran /sbin/lilo and
> then it stopped working.

You can try at the prompt:  linux mem=128M

The line in lilo should be:   append="mem=128M"

From: "jacky cui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: my computer has a SCSI hardisk,but i can not install linux?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:05:57 +0800

linux can supports SCSI hardisk,but i can not install my RH 6.0 to my linux
box ,how to install it? it can not find device ,I used HP netserver.

--
Best wish to you

Jacky

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Kernel build question
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:48:10 -0500

Steve Emmett wrote:

> I've got the RH 6.2 package that provides kernel 2.2.14-5.0.  As this
> kernel boots "out of the box" that part of the boot process where module
> dependencies are checked goes by with no errors shown.  I've compiled a
> new kernel AND modules.  Now, when I boot with the new kernel,
> everything seems to go ok except for that part of the boot process where
> the module dependencies are checked.  Here, about 2 pages of unresolved
> label messages goes by.
>
> Now I realize I can use just change depmod -a to depmod -q in the boot
> process, but I'd like to understand why the unresolved label messages
> now occur.  I noticed that there is a modules-dep file in the /boot
> directory and it would seem to be the original one.  How does that file
> get generated, and does it have anything to do with all the unresolved
> label messages that get printed?

After a kernel compile you may need to update the "modules.dep" file. to
do this as root give the command:

  /sbin/depmod -a

At times it is also needed to update the devices. To do this do the
following:

  cd /dev
  ./MAKEDEV update
  cd

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:52:50 -0500

beo wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> When I reboot my SuSE 6.2 , my computer just freeze after the message below.
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks!!
>
> *Partition check:
> *request_module[block_major_8]: root fs not mounted
> *VFS:cannot open root device 08:01
> *Kernel Panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

Use a rescue disk and at the boot prompt enter:

  linux root=/dev/hdaX

where X is the correct device for root.

On my SCSI system I have to compile the scsi controller into the kernel
and not as a module.

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to install RH 6.0 on SCSI computer?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 02:54:22 -0500

jacky cui wrote:

> RH 6.0 can not find SCSI hardisk device,why ?

You need to use the drivers disk (gdth.img) and at the boot prompt
enter:

  linux dd

It will ask for the drivers disk when needed.

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Copying files to Win98 directory
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:45:31 GMT

Steve wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I can not copy files to the Win98 ( /win ) directory when I am not
> root. Is there a way to set the permissions so I can do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Hi Steve,

yes there is, change your fstab line to add the gid and uid options.
example line:

/dev/hda  /win vfat auto,uid=501,gid=100 0 0

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Red Hat 6.2 can't mount NFS shares
Date: 30 Jun 2000 10:06:40 +0100

I've got an odd problem with a newly installed Red Hat 6.2 system.
It was installed across a LAN from a CD in another system using NFS.

Now it's installed and up and running it can't mount that CD by NFS
(or indeed anything else).  Other systems on the same LAN can mount
those shares.  Each time you try to mount something the error is:

mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

Any suggestions?

(The NFS server is also running Red Hat 6.2 and *can* mount its own
shares at least.)

John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: "Chua" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3Com Etherlink III ( 509B )
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:32:46 +0800

On your status, firstly you check /etc/conf.modules,
this files need to include two lines:
    alias eth0 3com509
    alias parpart_lowlevel parpart_pc

if not, please add it.  by the way, you also check
/libmodules/2.xxxxxx/net/3c509.o
if not, install again.
then, type  ifup eth0

it will be success.

ken

"Marko Hirsimäki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8jdk6q$f2r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I just changed my os from Win to Linux... But now I'm having problems with
> my network card which won't respodt to Linux at all.
> I kind of fugure that the problem is the fact that my card is Plug and
Play

------------------------------

From: Paul Rudin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.2 can't mount NFS shares
Date: 30 Jun 2000 10:37:49 +0100

 John> I've got an odd problem with a newly installed Red Hat 6.2
 John> system.  It was installed across a LAN from a CD in another
 John> system using NFS.

 John> Now it's installed and up and running it can't mount that CD by
 John> NFS (or indeed anything else).  Other systems on the same LAN
 John> can mount those shares.  Each time you try to mount something
 John> the error is:

 John> mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

 John> Any suggestions?

 John> (The NFS server is also running Red Hat 6.2 and *can* mount its
 John> own shares at least.)

I had this problem at home last night (both client and server running
RH 6.2) and IIRC manually invoking rpc.mountd on the server seemed to
fix the problem.

--
Cocaine Mossad terrorist Albanian SEAL Team 6 Soviet South Africa
assassination plutonium FBI ammunition $400 million in gold bullion

------------------------------

From: Patricia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:56:29 +0200

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Eric wrote:
>Patricia wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, sylvain hutchison wrote:
>> >I'm new to Linux, and I was wondering what do I have to do to run
>> >X-windows from the start, without having to type startx or whatever,
>> >every time I reboot.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Sly.
>> Sly
>>
>> login as root of su
>> edit /etc/inittab
>> replaceid:5:initdefault: (default startup in tekstmode)
>> with   id:3:initdefault: (default startup in X mode)
>> this is for Redhat
>
>Nope, for RH it's just the other way around :-)
>
>Eric
>
>> could be different for other distributions
sorry
my fault
Thanks Eric :)

--
Good Luck
Patricia
ICQ 69588792

http://www.crosswinds.net/~beginnerslinux
http://beginnerslinux.org
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15
 11:57am  up 3 days, 13:27,  1 user,  load average: 1.24, 1.34, 1.33
Fri Jun 30 11:57:42 CEST 2000

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need  help installing  printer
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:08:20 GMT

James wrote:

> Just loaded Corel Linux 1.1.  My HP DeskJet 820 Cse printer doesn't
> function.  Am under the impression that no drivers were installed for
> this printer ( don't see the printer mentioned in the Control Center
> as one that I can install).
> Found the drivers for the printer  on the Net and would like to
> install them.  How do I do that?

This depends on the package you found. If it's a tarball (.tgz .tar.gz
.tar.bz2) unpack it and read the include README file for instructions.
unpacking
 tar zxvf NAME_OF_THE_PACKAGE.tgz
if it's bz2 then
 bunzip2 NAME_OF_THE_PACKAGE.tar.bz2
 tar xvf NAME_OF_THE_PACKAGE.tar

If it's a binary rpm

 rpm -Uvh NAME_OF_THE_PACKAGE.i386.rpm

read the manpages of the different commands, if something is unclear

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Making  A New Boot Disk \ Updated kernel
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:48:46 -0400

> > dd if=<kernel image> of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync
>
> there's a possiblity that the kernel wll be bigger then 512 kbyte.

512 is only the block size.  If the kernel image is less than 1440 Kb
it'll fit on the disk.  My latest kernel is about 450 Kb.

------------------------------

From: "Gregor Giebel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSE ftp upgrade - install medium not chosen
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:32:08 +0200

Hi folks,

I'm running into trouble with the ftp-install/update of SuSE. I tried
various servers and various boot disk versions, but do not have a clue what
is happening.

The story is: I boot off the floppy disk I found in either the 6.1 or 6.4
directories, add the PCMCIA modules from the corresponding second floppy to
enable my netcard (3com), and get to the point where it says Start
Installation. There I use Network-FTP, hack in my various numbers for my IP,
gateway and DNS, find the right directory of the SuSE mirror and it
downloads the images/root file (as can be seen on tty3). All fine and shiny
til there.

The trouble starts with YaST complaining that I haven't chosen an install
medium (Quellmedium) yet. From then on, the install is going nowhere. Using
the expert mode to explicitely set an install medium gives 5 options, of
which the last
one (FTP-install) cannot be chosen. Everything else works, bar this one.

I have SuSE 6.1 installed on my Dell Inspiron 7000, with a 3com Ethernet
card (3c90x driver). That one obviously works, otherwise I couldn't have
downloaded the .../images/root from sunet.se.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cheers, Gregor

------------------------------

From: "JS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My first install RedHat 6.2 Cant start X
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:34:58 +0100

Hi guys

Just done my first install but after rebooting got a prompt foor@localhost
/] log in as root and type startx but nothink hapen.

? is how to x .

------------------------------

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can Linux Read/Write to NTFS?????
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:18:12 +0000

Read is definitely supported. I have one right here.
Write is experimental and considered dangerous. still, if you want to
experiment with writing to NTFS, you have to reconfigure your
kernel/module to support it by turning on/showing experimental features.

John Salvo

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Adams)
Subject: Re: Newbie needs help....  Dialup Problem with Caldera Distribution
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:39:17 GMT

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:49:15 -0400, "Lonni J. Friedman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Can you ping IP addresses succesfully?
>
>Christopher Adams wrote:
>>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I have gotten mixed answers to my problem, and none of them seem to
>> work - I need HELP!!!!
>>
>> I have a system running the latest Caldera distribution.  It's a
>> pentium 233 with 64 mg, with an internal modem on ttyS3 and a network
>> card in a PCI slot which is unused right now.   When I dial up my ISP
>> via KPPP, I get a connection, but I am not able to get my browser to
>> fetch any web pages - the addresses don't seem to be resolved.
>>
>> What could I be doing wrong?   I am filling in the DNS addresses in
>> KPPP setup - any ideas????

Good idea - I'll check.....

Chris

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: "screen" problems while using a vt320
Date: 30 Jun 2000 12:56:59 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware B'ichela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Please note! you MUST have XON/Xoff set on the terminal! and possibly
> use a speed of 9600 bps or less to avoid buffer overruns.

it would be interesting (to me, anyway), to test the terminal with vttest.
        http://dickey.his.com/vttest/vttest.html
        ftp://dickey.his.com/vttest

(it does some accommodation for overruns, but I've only tested a while
back on a vt420 - no XON/Xoff)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest