Linux-Setup Digest #42, Volume #19               Fri, 30 Jun 00 15:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  help with ip masq. (choyt)
  Re: help : nis and group (Andrei Ivanov)
  Re: network question (Michael Nadler)
  read-only filesystem (Dennis Lee)
  Re: SuSE ftp upgrade - install medium not chosen (J Bland)
  Re: Can't Boot from Compiled Kernel (2.2.13) (smp root)
  Re: RH 6.2 partitioning glitch (druid bug ?) ("the curious one")
  Hanged and Rebooted .... is it config'd properly ??? ("the curious one")
  Conexant V.90 56K PCI modem setup (Carlos CHUA)
  Re: Can Linux Read/Write to NTFS????? (DeAnn Iwan)
  Re: Using Performer 2.3 with Linux and GeForce 256 (Tim Whitehouse)
  Re: kernel panic (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Newbie whinning, whinning  for help !!!! (Ferdinand Badescu)
  Re: Naming Partitions for Red Hat 6.0 (Neil Cerutti)
  after i add memory do i need to increase swap space. ("Chadha, Saurabh
[RICH2:2N64:EXCH]")
  Re: after i add memory do i need to increase swap space. ("ne...")
  Re: 192.168.0.* vs 192.168.1.* (moonie;))
  Re: Problem with LinkSys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card (Ferdinand Badescu)
  Re: gtk problems in compiling (Colin Watson)
  Re: read-only filesystem (Colin Watson)
  Re: cont (Colin Watson)
  not enought free space on hd ("coder-a")
  Re: Newbie needs help....  Dialup Problem with Caldera Distribution (Neil Cerutti)
  Re: Elm date sent is way off (Colin Watson)

From: choyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with ip masq.
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:12:36 GMT

I'm tying to install ip masq. with RH6.2 can get eth0 to see internet.i
can get computers to on privet lan to ping gateway,eth1 but not see
internet. what do i ned to do to to see internet?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrei Ivanov)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: help : nis and group
Date: 30 Jun 2000 15:24:46 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Jean Maeght <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I mean
> client$ cat /var/yp/nicknames
> group group.byname

Ok, and now check on your NIS master whether it has group.byname.*
files in /var/yp/$NISDOMAIN directory...

--
andrei

------------------------------

From: Michael Nadler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: network question
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:31:39 -0700

sylvain hutchison wrote:

> Hello, I am loking for a driver for my network card which is a 3Com
> Etherlink 10/100 PCI NIC (3C905C-TX), I've been trying to phone Dell for
> the last fucking 30 min, they are getting on my nerves, and I can't find
> anything on their web page, so I was wondering if any of you knew where
> I could download this driver!!! BTW I've got Red Hat 6.1, I don't know
> if that makes a difference!!!!!
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Sly.

I wonder if this card is supported by the same driver as the 3c905b --
3c59x.o -- have you tried that module?  It was in my Slack7 distro, might
be in yours.  The Ethernet-HOWTO tells how to find it otherwise.

------------------------------

From: Dennis Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: read-only filesystem
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:24:51 -0400

I'm trying to setup a slackware 7.0 system with the root filesystem
mounted as read-only. I have /var and /tmp mounted on ramdisk. I've
modified /etc/fstab with the 'ro' option on the root filesystem. But the
system always boots up 'rw'. Does anybody know what's wrong?

Dennis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Subject: Re: SuSE ftp upgrade - install medium not chosen
Date: 30 Jun 2000 15:30:12 GMT

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:53:40 +0200, Gregor Giebel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sorry, forgot that.
>RAM is 128MB, swap partition is 128MB, and free disk space on / is somewhere
>around 170MB.
>
>Gregor

I'm not sure then, upgraded my 128MB laptop without any problems via FTP,
although I can't remember whether that was full upgrade or an update from a
currently running 6.4.

I suggest perserverence and fiddling. You'll probably find the cause or a
workaround eventually. Once 6.4's installed it works fine via ftp.

Sorry I can't be more helpful than that, beyond buying the boxset or burning
the eval-CD.

Frinky

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Can't Boot from Compiled Kernel (2.2.13)
From: smp root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:42:26 -0700

yeah, i'll give you that one, i didn't really have my wits about
me when i wrote that one.  it was a stupid question :-)

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: "the curious one" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 6.2 partitioning glitch (druid bug ?)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:56:01 GMT

Well I just tried to load linux also ....

1) the mounting error msg was bcos u did not specify a mount point ....such
as /home,/  and whatever.

2) u can change a partition to a swap partition in fdisk with the "t"
command and then pressing "82".

------------------------------

From: "the curious one" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hanged and Rebooted .... is it config'd properly ???
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:56:02 GMT

Hi,

I have jus been trying to load linux .... for ages ..but when it came to the
probing of my video card my comp just froze ..... i am reading a book on
linux  ..... .       But nowhere does it say wat to do other than to reboot
the sys and continue with the installation ..... so the only way i managed
to get it going again was with the boot floppy & the CD in the drvs, i get
the redhat setup page.And the only way i can get it to do any changes to the
installing is by going into expert mode and choosing "upgrade". But when the
comp froze in the first place i was letting it "probe" because i received a
msg that my monitor config was wrong. SO .......does this mean that my sys
is proper;y config'd now??

Leanne

------------------------------

From: Carlos CHUA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Conexant V.90 56K PCI modem setup
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 00:12:15 +0800

Hi,

I've just installed Redhat V6.2 and my PCI modem won't get recognized.
Any advice on how to setup this modem?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can Linux Read/Write to NTFS?????
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:24:22 -0400

    Have you considered making a FAT partition for sharing data between
NT and Linux.  Both will read/write to FAT.

------------------------------

From: Tim Whitehouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Performer 2.3 with Linux and GeForce 256
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:37:20 +0100

Kevin,
We have installed performer in the configuration you have described
(geforce 256 on elsa erazor x2) but on a 450MHz machine, we have 'town'
running at 20 to 30 Hz with texture on and are very pleased with it.  We
had to change gamma to get a bright and cheerful display though seem to
recall a perfly recompile was needed at some stage too.  You do not
mention if you have upgraded to XFree 86 4.0 (not part of redhat 6.2)
or downloaded the specific Nvidia drivers (watch out for the correct
versions as recently discussed in the performer news group).  Both of
these are required steps.  Hope this brief reply is enough to give
encouragement.  On our next build soon we intend to do a blow-by-blow
'howto'.

rgds tim whitehouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: kernel panic
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:14:01 -0500

beo wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> When I reboot my SuSE 6.2 , my computer just freeze after the message below.
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks!!
>
> *Partition check:
> *request_module[block_major_8]: root fs not mounted
> *VFS:cannot open root device 08:01
> *Kernel Panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

Your kernel seems to think the kernel is on /dev/sda1, which
would be the first partition of a SCSI disk.   If you do in
fact have a SCSI disk, and you are using a generic kernel,
SCSI support is a module.   As a result there has to be
an initial ramdisk with some vestigal SCSI support built in
so that you can actually load the kernel.   This is handled
in /etc/lilo.conf with an initrd statement.  But for that
to work, you need to run mkinitrd.

You should still be able to boot from a floppy and fix it
all.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

------------------------------

From: Ferdinand Badescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie whinning, whinning  for help !!!!
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 03:27:42 -0700

==============4DCA748D1CBFE9F62023532C

Thomas Weinbrenner wrote:

> "Daniel Pope" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I'm having a pretty stupid problem, I agree, but please help me !!1
> >  In order to execute a Linux command (executable file) I have to type indeed
> > the whole path and the name of the executable file EVEN IF I AM IN THE SAME
> > DIRECTORY AS THE EXECUTABLE FILE.
> > I need badly to get rid to the whole rest ofhe path and to be able to type
> > only the name of the executable.
>
> When you are in the directory, try "./filename"
>
> ./ is an abbreviation for the current directory
>
> --
> Thomas Weinbrenner

In addition to what Thomas wrote,  to save time you can type just the first
two-three letters of the filename, then hit the Tab key and Linux will complete
the filename. Example:

to start "my_filename" (without quotes, of course!) you would type:

./my_

then hit the Tab key.

Ferdi.

--
Ferdinand Badescu
-Development technician-

==============4DCA748D1CBFE9F62023532C

Thomas Weinbrenner wrote:
to type indeed
THE SAME
to type

just the first two-three letters of the filename, then hit the Tab key
and Linux will complete the filename. Example:
<pre>--&nbsp;
Ferdinand Badescu
-Development technician-
-Lecturer-
Dept. of Physics &amp; Astronomy
U.C. Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697
Tel: 949-824-8094
Fax: 949-824-2174
email:&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: Naming Partitions for Red Hat 6.0
Date: 30 Jun 2000 17:46:45 GMT

the curious one posted:
>Hi,
>
>I am jus wanting to know, by naming partitions,/ , home, usr,
>var, boot ...... is this correct ?? And if so then does this
>mean that i am specifying that i want these directories in these
>specific partitions ? Or am i actually adding extra directories
>to the whole sys ?

You're doing both. <g>

When you map a hard disk partition to a directory, you're telling
Linux to treat that device *as a directory*.

The names you are using look correct; at least, they are standard
directory names. Except that they all ought to start with a '/',
e.i., /home, /usr, /var, /boot.

There are some good Howtos that give recommendations on good
sizes for each partition. The most common I've seen is 2meg each
for /home and /usr... but it depends on what your system will be
used for.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Chadha, Saurabh [RICH2:2N64:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: after i add memory do i need to increase swap space.
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 12:46:48 -0500

 Hi,

    I have Mandrake 6.5 running on my m/c (400Mhz 686) and i have 32M of

RAM.
    I have ordered another 128M because KDE + Netscape just don't work
well in 32M RAM space.

    During initial setup i had 64M swap space reserved. So now do i have

to add 320M (2 X RAM)
    as swap space and if yes how do i accomplish this. or how much
should i have.

    Thanks for your time.
    Saurabh

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:15:41 GMT

On Jun 30, 2000 at 12:46, Chadha, Saurabh [RICH2:2N64:EXCH] eloquently wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I have Mandrake 6.5 running on my m/c (400Mhz 686) and i have 32M of
>
>RAM.
>    I have ordered another 128M because KDE + Netscape just don't work
>well in 32M RAM space.
>
>    During initial setup i had 64M swap space reserved. So now do i have
>
>to add 320M (2 X RAM)
>    as swap space and if yes how do i accomplish this. or how much
>should i have.
This is somewhat of a grey area. It depends on what you
use your system for. I say that swap should at least be
equal to ram. Another skool of thought says swap=2xram.
However, this is what I have:
Mem: 192796K av, 189320K used, 3476K free, 96440K shrd, 65592K buff
Swap: 80284K av, 2080K used,  78204K free               42680K cached

So the choice is yours. You have two options basically for adding
swap. Add a swap partition or add a swap file. For adding a partition,
use fdisk to label a free partition as swap, then mkswap the partition,
add the entry to /etc/fstab and swapon. Man mkswap and swapon for
more details. Using a swap file I'll leave as further reading for
you.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
The meek don't want it.

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 192.168.0.* vs 192.168.1.*
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:15:16 -0400

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, David wrote:
>Are there any complications or things that can't be done by using a 0
>as the 3rd part of an IP address as opposed to 1-255?
>
>It's just supposed to use the netmask to determine what part of the IP
>address is actually the host-part wildcard right?

Not that I know of, I use 192.168.0.2 for my linux box (Win98SE ICS connected
to I-net, don't ask) and I have SAMBA, APACHE, FTP, and a Half-Life Dedicated
Server, as well as all of my normal net services running just fine (netmask:
255.255.255.0)

moonie ;)

------------------------------

From: Ferdinand Badescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,sg.linux
Subject: Re: Problem with LinkSys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:22:01 -0700

==============3E9EB966E21E7E56EDFC6B2E

Jeremy Low wrote:

> Hie there, got a big problem here....very sad.
>
> Recently bought a Linksys network card for my pc. In its retail box, I was
> instructed to download the source for the driver from
>
> FTP://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/tulip.c
> FTP://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/kern_compat.h
>
> 1.    I downloaded them and did what was instructed (compile tulip.c with
> the required parameters and copied the binary to
> /lib/modules/2.0.XX/net/tulip.o where the XX is the version number of the
> latest kernel.
>
> 2.    Update kernel's module dependencies:
>          /sbin/depmod -a
>
> 3.    Next I edited /etc/conf.modules and added the following entries
>
>             alias eth0 tulip
>             options tulip options=0 debug=1
> 4.    Restarted the system and then ran ifconfig. Sadly, I was only shown
> the loopback devices.
>
> 5.    I did "cat /proc/pci" and got the particular line which I thinks
> refers to my ethernet card
>
> Bus  0, device  18, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 17).
>       Vendor id=1317. Device id=985.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.
> Latency=32.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
>       I/O at 0x6000 [0x6001].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe4000000].
>
> 6.    A "dmesg | grep eth0 -" refuse to turn up any eth0 entry
>
> 7.    I also did "modprobe tulip.o" and I got this lines at the end of my
> /var/log/messages file
>
> "Jun 26 17:34:30 localhost kernel: elf_core_dump: file->f_pos (1148458) !=
> offset (1146880) " which I have no idea if it has anything to do with my
> running of "modprobe...."
>
> Any idea :-( If you have any idea, do tell me, okie :-)
>
> a million thanx there :-)
>
> ^jj^ ^jj^ "May Angels watch over you"

Check to make sure the chipset you have on your card is DEC 2104x , otherwise
the tulip.o module won't work. (I think I've read on  Linksys's web site that
they, like new SMC's, use RTL8139 chipset.)  Just as a reference: I have a
SMC with a DEC 21041A chipset, and it always  (RH5.2/6.0/6.1)worked on tulip
module. Well, almost always, because when I've upgraded to RH6.2, it gave me
the same errors like your card gave you.  The fix was to use  the de4x5.o
module in lieu of the tulip.o one.

Maybe this helps.

Ferdi.

--
Ferdinand Badescu
-Development technician-

==============3E9EB966E21E7E56EDFC6B2E

Jeremy Low wrote:
I was
href="FTP://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/tulip.c">FTP://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/tulip.c</a>
href="FTP://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/kern_compat.h">FTP://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/kern_compat.h</a>
tulip.c with
of the
entries
eth0 tulip
options tulip options=0 debug=1
I was only shown
which I thinks
(rev 17).
capable.&nbsp; IRQ 9.&nbsp; Master Capable.
[0xe4000000].
entry
at the end of my
!=
my
Check to make sure the chipset you have on your card is DEC 2104x , otherwise
the tulip.o module won't work. (I think I've read on&nbsp; Linksys's web
site that they, like new SMC's, use RTL8139 chipset.)&nbsp; Just as a reference:
I have a SMC with a DEC 21041A chipset, and it always&nbsp; (RH5.2/6.0/6.1)worked
on tulip module. Well, almost always, because when I've upgraded to RH6.2,
it gave me the same errors like your card gave you.&nbsp; The fix was to
use&nbsp; the de4x5.o module in lieu of the tulip.o one.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: gtk problems in compiling
Date: 30 Jun 2000 18:31:04 GMT

ZephyrQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <8jfs6o$eq3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin
>Watson) wrote:
>> According to the error message above, you have version 1.2.8 of the
>> library itself and version 1.2.7 of the corresponding -dev or -devel
>> package; you should bring these into sync properly.
>
>       How do I do this?  I *have* dled and installed the corresponding
>-dev package, and still get the error.

OK, I wasn't sure whether you'd reinstalled the development stuff too.

What distribution are you using? Without this information, it's hard to
do any kind of detailed diagnosis ...

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"*BEEP* Troll Detected. Killfile, Ignore, Flame?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: read-only filesystem
Date: 30 Jun 2000 18:33:54 GMT

Dennis Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm trying to setup a slackware 7.0 system with the root filesystem
>mounted as read-only. I have /var and /tmp mounted on ramdisk. I've
>modified /etc/fstab with the 'ro' option on the root filesystem. But the
>system always boots up 'rw'. Does anybody know what's wrong?

Could you show us the exact line from /etc/fstab, please, just in case
something's slightly wrong there?

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"On Usenet, pedantry is not in the service of beauty. It's not even

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: cont
Date: 30 Jun 2000 18:36:38 GMT

rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i'm using linux 6.1

No such thing - it's Red Hat (Linux) 6.1, probably Linux 2.2. Linux is
the kernel, Red Hat is the distribution.

(*sigh* - sorry, but it does grate on some of us who use other
distributions ...)

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Then hast thou joined the ARPANET? / Oh come to me, my bankrupt boy!

------------------------------

From: "coder-a" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: not enought free space on hd
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:58:51 GMT

I want to install Red Hat but I have a problem. I have 16 GB disk space. For
linux I left 2 GB clear and when I am choosing Wokstation Instalation Linux
tells me that I heve not enought free memory space. What's the matter?
Please help me.
My e-mail is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks a lot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: Newbie needs help....  Dialup Problem with Caldera Distribution
Date: 30 Jun 2000 17:52:04 GMT

Christopher Adams posted:
>Hi -
>
>I have gotten mixed answers to my problem, and none of them seem
>to work - I need HELP!!!!
>
>I have a system running the latest Caldera distribution.  It's a
>pentium 233 with 64 mg, with an internal modem on ttyS3 and a
>network card in a PCI slot which is unused right now.   When I
>dial up my ISP via KPPP, I get a connection, but I am not able
>to get my browser to fetch any web pages - the addresses don't
>seem to be resolved.
>
>What could I be doing wrong?   I am filling in the DNS addresses
>in KPPP setup - any ideas????

Be sure that there are no leading zeros in any of your IP
adresses (you can edit /etc/resolv.conf or use KPPP setup). In
other words, you want, e.g.:

207.48.12.111

instead of:

207.048.012.111

Good luck.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Elm date sent is way off
Date: 30 Jun 2000 18:45:30 GMT

Clinton Carr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Mail sent using ELM 2.4 PL25 on Linux appears to be have sent on Fri
>7/10/2893.  Is this a problem with ELM or Sendmail?  The CPU date looks
>fine.

At various points, elm has been, um, rather less that Y2K-compliant. I
can't remember if it's all been fixed. Have you tried Michael Elkins'
Elm24ME+ patches? See <URL:http://ozone.fmi.fi/KEH/>.

Alternatively, you could try using mutt instead. :)

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Master," I complained, "the programmer who wrote this code is lazy!

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest