From: "Jeffrey Hood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Console font / resolution
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 00:24:16 GMT

I am running a dual boot box with Windows 98 and Redhat 6.0... I can run X
in 800x600, and 1024x768...  a friend of mine uses the line:
vga=792
in his lilo.conf file, but I am using loadlin.exe to boot to Linux, and
don't know how to get that command to run...

Is there any way to specify a resolution without using lilo, and are there
any other alternatives...  I tried using SVGATextMode, but can't seem to get
it to run any fonts other than the VGA ones...  my video card is an ATI, but
the settings for that either don't work, or aren't much of an improvement...
I can't seem to find out what the clock speed should be for my card, and
looking at the /etc/X11/XFConfig file doesn't tell me anything...

Thanks in advance...

JH

------------------------------

From: "The Active" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange Lilo "LI" problems
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 02:48:30 +0200
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat

=======_NextPart_000_0018_01BFF9D0.A4B23740

Hi,
To delete lilo you must insert a boot DOS disk in your computer and at =
the prompt enter 'fdisk /mbr'.
ByeZ
  "savo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto nel messaggio =
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
  I had the same problem.  I removed lil from the MBR=20
  also ran dos fdisk /mbr  and upgraded.  put lilo on=20
  hda. and still comes up "LI"=20
  did the same thing but put lilo on hda1 and still get=20
  "LI"  what do i do now?=20

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   =20

=======_NextPart_000_0018_01BFF9D0.A4B23740

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To delete lilo you must insert a boot =
DOS disk in=20
your computer and at the prompt enter 'fdisk /mbr'.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ByeZ</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>"savo" &lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&gt;=20
  ha scritto nel messaggio <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:3980007B.A7866370@twcny=
.rr.com</A>...</DIV>I=20
  had the same problem.&nbsp; I removed lil from the MBR <BR>also ran =
dos fdisk=20
  /mbr&nbsp; and upgraded.&nbsp; put lilo on <BR>hda. and still comes up =
"LI"=20
  <P>did the same thing but put lilo on hda1 and still get =
<BR>"LI"&nbsp; what=20
  do i do now? <PRE>--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]</PRE>&nbsp; </BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

From: "Gilles Lamoureux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 6.0 Netscape connection problem
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 20:16:00 -0500

Yo, this is my first time here.

I am using RedHat 6.0. OS for internet connection via linuxconf.   Actually
connected for a while with usernet interface.  But now it doesn't turn to
green, but stays on yellow.  Modem seems to be Ok, it SOUNDS OK that is,
dial and ping etc.  Also on Netscape, other than it telling me that the
server cannot be found, the LITTLE HAND doesn't show up when I pass over
links etc.

I edited the resolv.conf. like it was instructed me on a HOWTO.   NETSCAPE
also tells me something about the need to point to the correct nameserver in
the SOCKS_NS environment file, but I can't seem to locate it and check it
out.

Anyways, any ideas???

gilles56

------------------------------

From: "Greg Boehnlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit BX-133 RAID: impressions
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 21:33:59 -0400

> > Is there a smart and simple way to get where I want to go?
> > It seems the Windows world has Linux beat here for simplicity.
> > If my one big drive in the RAID 1 config fails under 2000 I just
> > reboot and replace the drive and tell it in BIOS to redo the mirror
> > disk. I'm struggling to see how I can do something similar with
> > Linux even if it's software RAID that doesn't amount to being
> > several times more complex.
>
> I don't know about this particular hardware configuration, but after doing
> extensive casting about for real RAID configurations, you'd better damn
> well ask the vendor about Linux support PRIOR to a purchase decision.
What
> I found is that AMI makes a decent RAID controller, and Dell's PERC RAID
is
> also good. However, I can't give my wholehearted assent to the Dell
> solution because they won't give me disaster recovery solutions in case of
> a fire or whatever -- I called their tech support line and I got some poor
> bugger who had no idea what I was talking about, nor did his boss, and so
> on. Mainly, what I was asking was "how do you install on this drive given
> the stock RedHat releases don't support it out of the box?"  On the other
> hand, AMI you KNOW is not supported for boot partitions, so you always
need
> a boot disk.
>
> In general, the only RAID solutions that work on Linux (in my admittedly
> limited experience) are all-hardware RAIDs. Adaptec has said that their
> "RAID" cards actually require copious software to make them go, leading me
> to wonder whether they're just slightly modified from their other SCSI
> controllers. It sounds like this is what you have with this motherboard.

Some notes worth considering..

1. AMI Megaraid controllers are supported in the 2.2 series kernels. I run
these in production. AMI even has a console based administration tool that
you can use from the command line. It is an excellent piece of software.
2. Dell PERC controllers are AMI Megaraid OEM models w/ customized BIOS
3. The Megaraid systems use SCSI drives. If your talking about IDE RAID
solutions from AMI, then I can't comment. However, the Megaraid under SCSI
is -AWSOME- for the price. You CANNOT find a better hardware raid solution
for the price.
4. Another supported hardware RAID solution are the DPT SmartRaid products.
However, last I knew, these were I2O cards which Linux was not able to take
full advantage of. There was also some proprietary code in the drivers that
held up public consumtion of the source code. I'm not sure if this has been
addressed, but I've been using a DPT SmartRaid V card in a production box
using their pre-built kernel module. The machine it's been running in has
had uptimes over over 150 days, coming down only for power and mobility
reasons.
5. I am personally against using IDE drives for RAID, although I can
certainly understand the mentality. In my experiences, however, performance
and reliability of SCSI based RAID systems has proven to be superior for my
applications. The most compelling reason to consider IDE RAID is, of course,
price.

Se la vie...

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: help needed with a pcmpci modem
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 01:33:57 +0000

michele wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to install Linux on my Dell Latitude CPx laptop.
> Everything is fine except that I can't get the modem to work.
> The modem is a "RealPort 2 CardBus Modem 56 Win-GlobalACCESS"
> and when the pcmpci support gets loaded during the boot the modem
> gets locked up (red light on and "modem is busy" message from
> kppp if you try to use it).
>
> Any idea about how to set it up?
>  Thanks in advance for your time
>   Michele

Typically I think most laptops you buy come with winmodems which don't
work without windoze.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: Axel Haenssen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI XPERT 128
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 21:30:36 -0400

hi guys,
I am having difficulties installing an ATI XPERT 128, the xserver always

crashes during probing. Does somebody have some experiences with this
hardware??
thanx in advance
axel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Console font / resolution
Date: 30 Jul 2000 01:51:48 GMT

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 00:24:16 GMT, Jeffrey Hood wrote:
>I am running a dual boot box with Windows 98 and Redhat 6.0... I can run X
>in 800x600, and 1024x768...  a friend of mine uses the line:
>vga=792
>in his lilo.conf file, but I am using loadlin.exe to boot to Linux, and
>don't know how to get that command to run...
>Is there any way to specify a resolution without using lilo, and are there
>any other alternatives...

To be able to use the framebuffer modes (vga=792 is a framebuffer mode)
then you need to compile a kernel with framebuffer support enabled.
Then you can pass the option "vga=792" to LOADLIN by editing LINUX.BAT
on your DOS partition like so:

loadlin c:\vmlinuz vga=792

You can pass parameters to the kernel by just putting them right after
the C:\vmlinuz part of that .BAT file.  Something to try would be
"vga=ask", which will give you a list of modes that your graphics card
supports.  Enter the mode number you want when Linux boots, and the
console screen will have that mode (80x34, 100x37, 132x50, etc.)
SVGATextMode is unmaintained and you really shouldn't use it.

Further info can be found at http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
=============================/              ==Charles Peguy

------------------------------

From: Mark irvine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: running java apps on linux
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 02:43:20 -0400

Hi,
I've installed jdk1.2.2 on linux (redHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.16, glibc
2.1.3), but I'm having trouble running java apps. I have DB2 installed
and running. It uses a java application called db2cc for maintaining and

using databases. But when I try to run it i get :
=========8<======================================================
[mark@localhost bin]$ db2cc 6798
/home/mark/sqllib/bin/db2cc: jre: command not found
[mark@localhost bin]$ java  db2cc  6798
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: db2cc
=========8<======================================================

I though this might be a problem with my CLASSPATH, so I took a look,
and it looks like the DB2 install scripts have set the classpath for me.

=========8<======================================================
[mark@localhost mark]$ echo $CLASSPATH
:/home/mark/sqllib/java/sqlj.zip:/home/mark/sqllib/function:
/home/mark/sqllib/java/db2java.zip:
/home/mark/sqllib/java/runtime.zip:.:
/home/mark/sqllib/java/sqlj.zip:
/home/mark/sqllib/function:

/home/mark/sqllib/java/db2java.zip:/home/mark/sqllib/java/runtime.zip:.
=========8<======================================================

I treid to unset my CLASSPATH to see if it ran any better, but it was
exactly the same:
=========8<======================================================
[mark@localhost mark]$ CLASSPATH=
[mark@localhost mark]$ echo $CLASSPATH

[mark@localhost bin]$ db2cc 6798
/home/mark/sqllib/bin/db2cc: jre: command not found
[mark@localhost bin]$ java  db2cc  6798
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: db2cc
=========8<======================================================

I looked at the FAQ at www.afu.com, and found that I should not need to
set my CLASSPATH, except for the DB2 user classes, which as seen above
was set by DB2.

=========8<======================================================
2.Is the CLASSPATH environment variable used correctly?
...In JDK 1.2, CLASSPATH is no longer needed for system libraries. You
do want CLASSPATH to point to the directories containing any "user
classes" you're using...

...Also remember that Browsers set the CLASSPATH to the directory of the

HTML file, plus the codebase parameter. in JDK 1.1 and after, it
automatically adds the system classes (lib/classes.zip), so you don't
have to.  JDK 1.2 adds "." (current directory) automatically, so you
don't have to. (But jre doesn't - see below. JDK 1.1 jre tool does not
use the CLASSPATH variable or assume the current directory. (On Solaris,

CLASSPATH does work.)...
=========8<======================================================

Does anyone have any idea why this application won't run?

Regards,
Mark Irvine

------------------------------

From: Kenneth Downs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install 2nd NIC bef/after Linux
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 22:36:21 -0400

Folks,

I am about to put up Linux 6.2.  Anyone care to advise on whether I am
better off putting a 2nd NIC card into the box BEFORE I set it all up,
or after I've got it running with just the first.

The idea here is to get IP Masquerading going for the DSL line.

As always, TIA,

Ken [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Glenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: kernel 2.4 test5 - pleae help with ide error
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 02:34:34 GMT

OK, I'm answering my own question for the next unfortunate soul.

I found that compiling these options as modules didn't work:

#
# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m
snip------
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m

Compiled as:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
snip------
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y        (automatically goes ot "y" with the DEV_IDE
selection)

I also had trouble in getting my new modules to be recognized. The
standard Redhat 6.2 script wouldn't work as normal and set things right
for the new version on reboot so instead I did "depmod -a 2.4.0-test5"
after rebooting back in with my old kernel.

So far all else is working fine. Now to delve into mounting a CDR so I
can try packet writing to it, which was the whole object of this new
kernel to begin with.

Glenn
=====

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Hernandez Fisher)
Subject: @home NIC install/config
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 02:42:17 GMT

Just got Corel Linux installed a few days ago, but haven't made any
headway getting my @home internet connection to work. I've gone
through Corel's Control Center and set all the host name, subnet
masks, DNS addresses, etc using the data I could glean from my W98
setup through winipcfg, and I've tried running both with DHCP and
static IPs, but nothing works.

I'm left wondering whether my NIC is even setup and installed properly
for Linux. Under Windows the card is listed as "NDC 10/100 Fast
Ethernet PCI Adapter (MX-A) [MX987x5]". How would I go about checking
if Linux is even "seeing" my card and installing the proper drivers in
the event that it isn't.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

chf.

PS As long as I'm here, is there any way to get NumLock to stay on
after I reboot. I know it's a tiny thing, but it's annoying when I go
to type out an IP address and find the damn thing's been turned off.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wizard2)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: corrupt partition?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:27:53 GMT

If u ran fdisk from win 98 u wiped out your boot record to boot into
Linux   that restored your original boot record which boots u into
windows

this one is just a guess u need to reformat your HD and then boot from
a Linux boot disk that will let u install from your CD or if u dont
have a CD copy of it and u have the install files on another HD
then u can boot to that drive and install from there and repartition
your HD's to Linux partitions

------------------------------

From: EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: TYAN TIGER 133 (VIA APOLLO PRO 133A)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:03:52 -0700

Hello,

my boss recently bought a dual PIII machine with this motherboard
and hard drive:

TYAN TIGER 133 (VIA APOLLO PRO 133A)
(VT82C596B)
WINBOND W83977ATF Super I/O CHIP

IBM DTLA 307045 (45GB IDE UDMA66)

Upon Linux (RH6.1) installation, fdisk fails to see /dev/hda.
It also fails to see /dev/hde, with a PCI PROMISE IDE-UDMA66
controller.

Normally, I would start installation, switch to CTRL+ALT+F2,
do a 'cat /proc/pci' to see where to pop the hard drive, reboot,
then 'text ide2=0xd800,0xdc00' and then I would be able to
install normally (at UDAMA33).  Then I would upgrade the kernel
and patch it with the PROMISE IDE controller patch, reboot,
and everything would be fine.

Now, since install fails with both onboard AND pci ide-control-
lers, I suspect it is the MOTHERBOARD.

I see within the newer kernels that there is a VT82***** chip-
set option within 'Block Devices' within kernel config.

Are there updated boot disks that will still permit me to do
an installation, or am I doomed and should I throw this
mboard at my boss?

Wondering...

AG
--

------------------------------

From: EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: @home NIC install/config
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:07:07 -0700

Carlos Hernandez Fisher wrote:

> Just got Corel Linux installed a few days ago, but haven't made any
> headway getting my @home internet connection to work. I've gone
> through Corel's Control Center and set all the host name, subnet
> masks, DNS addresses, etc using the data I could glean from my W98
> setup through winipcfg, and I've tried running both with DHCP and
> static IPs, but nothing works.
>
> I'm left wondering whether my NIC is even setup and installed properly
> for Linux. Under Windows the card is listed as "NDC 10/100 Fast
> Ethernet PCI Adapter (MX-A) [MX987x5]". How would I go about checking
> if Linux is even "seeing" my card and installing the proper drivers in
> the event that it isn't.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> chf.
>
> PS As long as I'm here, is there any way to get NumLock to stay on
> after I reboot. I know it's a tiny thing, but it's annoying when I go
> to type out an IP address and find the damn thing's been turned off.

do a 'dmesg'

AG
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Lastest version of Red Hat?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:33:22 GMT

Hello all,

   What is the lastest version of Red Hat now? And it supports AT100
hard disk? Where can I find information about Red Hat?

   Is there any Linux which supports AT100 hard disk now?

Thanks,
David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (wizard2)
Subject: Install of New Kernel
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:54:02 GMT

Hi

I am trying to install a new kernel   2.2.16   going from a resent
install of Mandrake 7.1

Everything goes well untill i go and try to compile   I do  bzImage
and have tried zImage   It runs the compile fine untill the end where
i get a msg that it is leaving usr/src/linux/i386/boot/    it says it
cannt find something like (AS86)  and gives me 2 error codes   127 and
2

I wish i new what was wrong i checked my version of GCC which doing a
gcc -v comes up with i think 2.95.xx which i guess is above what they
say i need which is 2.7.2  I have also tried to get a different copy
of that same kernel and it also didnt help

i would love some help on this thanks    mike

------------------------------

From: Coyote <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KX-P4450 Driver for StarOffice?
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:54:23 -0400

Anyone out there got a printer driver for the Panasonic
KX-P4450 that'll plug into StarOffice 5.1?

Thanks,

William Epperly
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
======================
NOTICE TO BULK E-MAILERS: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any all nonsolicited commercial
e-mail sent to this address is subject to a download and
archival fee in the amount of $500 US.

------------------------------

From: EKK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: TYAN TIGER 133 (VIA APOLLO PRO 133A)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:44:08 -0700

EKK wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my boss recently bought a dual PIII machine with this motherboard
> and hard drive:
>
> TYAN TIGER 133 (VIA APOLLO PRO 133A)
> (VT82C596B)
> WINBOND W83977ATF Super I/O CHIP
>
> IBM DTLA 307045 (45GB IDE UDMA66)
>
> Upon Linux (RH6.1) installation, fdisk fails to see /dev/hda.
> It also fails to see /dev/hde, with a PCI PROMISE IDE-UDMA66
> controller.
>
> Normally, I would start installation, switch to CTRL+ALT+F2,
> do a 'cat /proc/pci' to see where to pop the hard drive, reboot,
> then 'text ide2=0xd800,0xdc00' and then I would be able to
> install normally (at UDAMA33).  Then I would upgrade the kernel
> and patch it with the PROMISE IDE controller patch, reboot,
> and everything would be fine.
>
> Now, since install fails with both onboard AND pci ide-control-
> lers, I suspect it is the MOTHERBOARD.
>
> I see within the newer kernels that there is a VT82***** chip-
> set option within 'Block Devices' within kernel config.
>
> Are there updated boot disks that will still permit me to do
> an installation, or am I doomed and should I throw this
> mboard at my boss?
>
> Wondering...
>
> AG
> --

Apparently new boot image from RedHat works:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/6.2/images/i386/boot-20000407.img

AG
--

Alessandro Giachino,  Software Engineer

EKK Inc.
2065 West Maple C309        tel. 248-624-9957
Walled Lake MI 48390        fax. 248-624-7158
                        http://www.ekkinc.com

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest