From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Creating a boot Partition for Linux
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 03:10:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000, Nuet Lareton <phibetaSPAMBOSS.*@hotmail.com> wrote:
>This is my situation, I have 2 6GB HD, C (hda) with windows 98 and D
>(hdb) with RH Linux 6.2. I am currently using a boot disk to use
>Linux.  I'm using the boot disk because I am wary of messing with my
>MBR for any reason.  However, the booting process takes forever from
>my floppy and I remember how relatively fast it takes to boot my
>computer at work using LILO on the MBR.
>
>My question is this: can I make a partition on my C drive where I
>could essentially store my boot floppy information and would default
>into windows?  All this w/o actually messing with the MBR, where if I
>wanted to go back to the original boot settings I would simply remove
>the partition. (this is a case where I want my cake and eat it as
>well) I thought I had seen something like this done before, however I
>can't remember the specifics.  Is this possible? If so, has anyone
>tried this and can give me some feedback as to any problems I can
>expect. TIA.

Yes, if you can put a primary /boot partition (16MB or 1 cyl on a large
translated drive) under the 1024 cyl point (unless you have a new LILO
without 1024 cyl limit).  The /boot partition needs all files that are in
your current /boot and then /etc/fstab would have to be modified to mount
your new /boot:

/dev/hda2       /boot           ext2    defaults        1 2

Set up /etc/lilo.conf to put LILO on the /boot partition and set it as
the active boot partition with Linux or Windows fdisk.  The rest of Linux
can be anywhere.  Then you do not have to worry about messing up your MBR
or a Windows update stepping on it.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Setting clock on Linux machine ???
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 03:15:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 18:32:54 -0700, E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You did nothing wrong. you  changed the linux time but not the RTC (Real Time
>Clock) clock.
>When linux reboots, the linux time get its time from the RTC.
>Here is the fix:
>$ su -
>password: <secret>
># timetool

Or simply run 'setclock' as root once your system time is corrected.
'ntpdate' from the xntp package is handy for updating your system time
before using setclock.

From: "Tim C. Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,it.comp.linux,it.comp.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Serial Mouse in Redhat 6.2
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 03:17:25 GMT

I had my PS/2 mouse port get flaky on me so I got one of those adapters to
plug the PS/2 mouse into a DB9 serial port.  Trouble is I can't figure out
what I need to do to configure the mouse.  When I boot I get a message that
the PS/2 mouse has been removed but it doesn't detect the serial connect and
allow me to configure the device as a MS Intellimouse Serial.  Any clues?

TIA
Tim [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
From: g gilmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: guest ftp user can't see files?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 03:22:59 GMT

If you're using RedHat install the anon-ftp rpm.

------------------------------

From: Repo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 05:05:55 +0200

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000, John Archibald wrote:
>Subject:
>            modem
>       Date:
>            Thu, 03 Aug 2000 23:06:59 +0100
>       From:
>            John Archibald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Newsgroups:
>            alt.os.linux.corel
>

>Can someone advise me?   I'vejust  installed Corel/Linux but have came
>to a halt at modem connection.  After following  the man. when trying to
>
>connect two messages appear, "modem found"  followed by "modem busy".
>What the hell have I done wrong and what do I do to put it right?
>Senex
Senex
first take a look at
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/19991212a.html
to see if the modem is supported by Linux
(eq not a winmodem)

--
Good Luck
Repo

http://www.crosswinds.net/~beginnerslinux
http://beginnerslinux.org
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)Kernel 2.2.5-15
  5:07am  up 3 days,  1:23,  3 users,  load average: 1.42, 1.56, 1.55

------------------------------

From: hawkjordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to restore my linux HD MBR
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 03:30:03 GMT

Hi, guys

On my PC, there are two hard disks. On IDE0, which  is
Primary Master HD, I installed RedHat Linux 6.0; on IDE 2,
which is Secondary Master HD, I installed Windows 98.

As you know, I installed Windows 98 first, then RedHat
Linux. So, every time when I boot the PC, I got the Linux
loader LILO first. From LILO prompt, I could choose if I
want to boot into Linux or Windows 98.

Last time, when I booted into Windows 98 and tried to
close Win98 and exit to Dos prompt, (I assumed,) eSafe
(an anti-virus software) detected the MBR of IDE0 (My
Linux HD MBR) is not a valid Microsoft MBR, and then
treated it as a virus. Then, asked me to remove it,
which resulted in crashing my Linux Hard Drive.

I tried to fix my Linux HD MBR from linux side, but I
failed. That is what I did:

1) Disconnect both of my original Win98 and Linux HDs,
and connect a new HD (the third one) as Primary Master
HD.

2) Install RedHat 6.0 on the third HD, /dev/hda1.
During installation, I made a boot floppy.

3) Boot my PC from a win98 bootable floppy. Execute
"fdisk /MBR" to destroy Linux MBR.

4) Boot the PC from linux bootable floppy, which I
made at step 2). Due to /dev/hda1 has been mounted
during booting up, using "/sbin/lilo -v", I could
restore the Linux MBR, which was destroyed at step 3).

But, I donot have a boot floppy for my original Linux
HD. Is there any other way to restore my Linux HD MBR,

I even tried to boot my original Linux HD from the
linux boot floppy made at step 2). The partition is
totally different between both HDs, I could not mount
other partitions than /("root") partition after my
booting up. So, I could find file lilo.conf under
/etc, but I cannot find file /boot/boot.b. Because I
am not able to mount /boot partition. Therefore, when
I executed /sbin/lilo -v, Linux cannot find
/boot/boot.b to restore the MBR.

I really hope you guys could help me out of this
trouble.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
hawk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: Math Coprocessor problem - Linux won't boot
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 22:44:29 -0400

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 17:31:48 -0500, Xzera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I tried the floppy option and get a kernel panic, at first I thought it
>was only because for some unknown reason lilo put hda5 (a dos partition)
>instead of hda7 (Linux partition) as the root (according to
        Ok, heres what you need to stuff in the liloconfig program to
get a proper boot for your buggy MB.
Begin    Start LILO configuration with a new LILO header
Linux    Add a Linux partition to the LILO config file
OS/2     Add an OS/2 partition to the LILO config file
DOS      Add a DOS partition to the LILO config file
Install  Install LILO
Recycle  Reinstall LILO using the existing lilo.conf
Skip     Skip LILO installation and exit this menu
View     View your current /etc/lilo.conf
Help     Read the Linux Loader HELP file
start with Begin. I will  ask you for additinal info such as options
for your kernal. type in no387 and hit enter (thats your option)
        select floppy as your lilo booter.
at the Linux prompt you select your Linux root path (you know this
already I am sure it would be /dev/hda7.
same is done for the Dos and OS/2 partions (if desired)
        Now do Install to put a lilo on a floppy disk. If you rather
not do it via liloconfig you can modify the /etc/lilo.conf by hand.
you need the line called append= to add the no387 info. This line goes
before the actual boot defininitions. When you are done adding the
append= info you put your floppy in /fd0 and type
lilo this will update the floppy with the new info.

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 20:39:21 -0700

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > > i would not use the word "allow".  the united states (and other)
> > > government *actively* *enforces* copyrights.  it's not a question of
> > > letting, say, microsoft keep its software to itself.  this is police
> > > breaking down your door and rummaging through your stuff and
> > > potentially depriving you of your freedom in case they find you in
> > > violation of copyright.
> > >

> > You have NO RIGHT to own anything that doesn't belongs to
> > you. Period.
>
> i don't understand your comment.  maintaining copyright requires
> vigorous and active enforcement.  this enforcement goes beyond what is
> usual for physical items.  does pointing this out disturb you?

Are there anything that is worth while in life that does not need to be
protected???

No.  It does not disturb me at all.

Did you ever read some real news?  Did you read that Micro$oft and the
Canadian Mounties
busted a shop up in Canada that's been selling stolen copies of M$
Windoz? Some M$ employees were busted as well, for supplying the
software.

You break the law, you get busted. Pure and simple.

> > > copyright and patents are examples of mercantilism -- trade through
> > > government sanctioned *and enforced* monopoly.
> > >
> > Okay. Let's pretend I agree with you. Okay.
> >
> > Would you like to GNU-GPL your pay check to me forever?
>
> what does pointing out that copyright and patents are mercantilistic
> have to do with your question?

The whole world's economy is based on things that are merchantilistic.

The computer that you're typing this with, and your mediaone internet
connection, the food you just ate, the clothes that you're wearing, the
electricity that powers your light, your computer; are all
merchantilistic.

Don't be so naive.

> > Or would you mind to work for me for free forever?
>
> again, relevance?
>
> > > where government use or threat of force in maintaining this monopoly
> > > is removed (e.g., middle and far east), copying is wide-spread.
> > >
> > Think again.  In China, they have executed (by firing squad, and even
> > charged their families for the bullets that the govt. executed them
> > with.) some guys who are major counterfeiters. Try to read some
> > international news, instead of drinking your free beer and watching
> > > MTV.
>
> how about the united states until the turn of the century?  the US
> ignored european copyrights and patents.  in fact the US revolution
> was in large part fought in order to escape these devices.

No.  Nobody can change history.

Every single nations in the world have done something wrong during its
history.

But as long as they realise the mistakes, and have *learned* how not to
repeat the same mistake. Then... What's wrong with that!?

The important thing is to learn from history. Let's forgive, but not
forget our mistakes that were made in the pass. Learn how to avoid
making the same mistakes again.

> > In the mid-east. The Islamic law will chop off your right hand, if you
> > steal with yoir right hand. And kill you if you are dope dealer.
>
> it depends upon what you consider property.  for example, in turkey
> or syria, you enter a record shop, choose the LP or CD you like.  pay
> the guy in store who proceeds to tape it for you.  the shop keeps the
> disk.  you take the tape home.  the turks and syrians seem to have a
> different concept of what is property and what can be possessed.

It all depends on your locale.

"In Rome. Do as the Romans do."

> if you can't own it, you can't be stealing it right?

Here goes your twisted logic again...

Okay. A just robbed a bank. Then you go and robbed A, took the money
that A robbed from the bank.

You didn't robbed the bank directly, but you're in process of the bank's
money by robbing A.

Does that makes you a lesser criminal??????????????

> > Wake up. You've just sold yourself for the price of a free beer.
>
> i have?  what have i done?  all i've said is:
>
> 1) copyright and patents are mercanitilism.  this is by definition.
> 2) copyright and patents require active and intrusive enforcement by
>    government.  this is obvious by observation.
>
> do these statements somehow threaten your worldview?

No. But reality sure busted a lot of rainbow dreams by bubble heads.

Alex / blowfish.

> --
> J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
> [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Don't Fear the Penguin!

No body fear the Penguin.
--
- Alex / blowfish.
--
- If Vi is God's editor. Then, God must have too much free time on his
hands,
  lives a very dull and unproductive life; so he needs Vi to waste his
time.
  But Vi was still too fast. So God created EMACS on the 8th day - which
takes
  Eight Months to load, And Counting Still...
  KISS rules. That's why I use Easy Edit (ee). Small. Simple and fast.
:-)
- The UN-GEEK CODE:(?What is a
geek?)-#!?+++??++++|$????+++++?????+++!!!!???+++---
  geek + vi | ~/emacs
==>ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!.......:P~
  newbies + Windoz | C:\LOOKOUT
EXPRESS==>_the_horrors_the_horrrrrrrroOOOOORRRRRRRRRSSSSsssss!!! :-|
- My SAS (Sing-A-Song)Fingerprint -v.i007bond: Doe1(-a deer a female
deer.) RaY2(- a drop of golden sun.)
  Me3(- A name, I call myself.) FAr4(- A long, long way to run.) Sew5(-A
needle pulling thread.)
  lA6(-A note to follow sew.) TeA7(-A drink with jam and bread.) That
will bring us back to DOe-oh-oh-oh...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cdrom driver help
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 03:28:42 GMT

 Hi All,

I'm having problems setting up my cdrom. I have an old 486 that I want
to install linux on and I'm trying to install the drivers for the cdrom,
however, it's not working.  The cdrom is an IDE type MKE and the model
is CR-563B. I tried using the driver for the above (which was difficult
to find), but after configuring autoexec and config files and booting
up, the Windows 95 logo stays plastered to the screen. I also tried a
Mitsumi ide driver, which leaves me with the error message, "Device
Driver Not Found." I want to be able to boot to dos, then change to the
cdrom and run the linux setup from there. Does anyone know of another
driver option to use?

 Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:02:08 GMT

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > what does pointing out that copyright and patents are mercantilistic
> > have to do with your question?
> >
> The whole world's economy is based on things that are merchantilistic.
>
> The computer that you're typing this with, and your mediaone internet
> connection, the food you just ate, the clothes that you're wearing, the
> electricity that powers your light, your computer; are all
> merchantilistic.
>
> Don't be so naive.

do you know the definition of mercantilism and the distiction between
it and other forms of commerce such as capitalism?  normally i'd let the
spelling slide but it makes me worried.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:15:04 +0800
From: "Michael Yuan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATM card for Linux

Hi,
    I need to buy an ATM card for Linux machine, any suggestion on which
brand, model should I buy? I called several vendors and they told me the
cards are only supported on Windows. Does Linux support ATM card?

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated, thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: ATM card for Linux
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:47:38 GMT

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:15:04 +0800 , Michael Yuan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I need to buy an ATM card for Linux machine, any suggestion on which
>brand, model should I buy? I called several vendors and they told me
>the cards are only supported on Windows. Does Linux support ATM card?

I don't know what you are going to do with it, but there are some links
on this page

 http://feenix.eyep.net/dsl/linux_dsl.html

to the linux-atm project and other stuff. Look for the section on
PPPoA.

--
Hal B
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 05:23:42 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:
>Johan Kullstam wrote:
>> if you can't own it, you can't be stealing it right?
>>
>Here goes your twisted logic again...
>
>Okay. A just robbed a bank. Then you go and robbed A, took the money
>that A robbed from the bank.
>
>You didn't robbed the bank directly, but you're in process of the bank's
>money by robbing A.
>
>Does that makes you a lesser criminal??????????????

Money is a construct for which ownership is pretty intrinsic.

Its _essence_ is as an expression of owned value.

Thus, any argument surrounding the notion of things that _cannot be
owned_ cannot be applied to money, at least not without taking _great_
care to form syllogisms to indicate the lack of ownership.

Putting that another way, if A robs a bank, then A has taken some
form of property that is _owned_.

That is completely incompatible with the thesis being explored which
is that that some computer software may be expressly _not ownable_.
[Further down the road lies the thesis that "intellectual property" is an
intellectual _sham_ using the argument that ideas are _not_ property...]

Something that is not owned cannot be "stolen," and thus there can be no
"robbery," and hence the notion of associating criminal action with thus
makes no sense at all.  It's not owned, wasn't stolen, and thus there
is no "criminal."

Grump however you like about how "you weren't talking about that,"
but you _were_ responding to the line:
  "if you can't own it, you can't be stealing it right?"

Two directions appear _reasonable_ in constructing a coherent debate
to the thesis:
  a) You could claim that the notion that "you can't own it" is
     nonsense, and that the "can't be stealing part" thus has nothing
     to follow.

     But you never said anything about that.

  b) The alternative is to say "OK, fine, you can't own it.  But
     that _doesn't_ lead to stealing being impossible."

Instead, you ignored both the initial premise ("can't own it") _and_ the
claimed result ("can't possibly steal it"), and made up some alternative
thesis indicating that this is all just like saying that it's not criminal
to rob banks.  That's nonsense.

>> > Wake up. You've just sold yourself for the price of a free beer.
>>
>> i have?  what have i done?  all i've said is:
>>
>> 1) copyright and patents are mercanitilism.  this is by definition.
>> 2) copyright and patents require active and intrusive enforcement by
>>    government.  this is obvious by observation.
>>
>> do these statements somehow threaten your worldview?
>>
>No. But reality sure busted a lot of rainbow dreams by bubble heads.

Don't blowfish have pretty bubbly heads?

You may _think_ you're arguing well, but it's rather more like Ratbert
wearing an "external brain pack" (aka piece of liver around his waist),
and then debating using lines like "I must be right - this brain pack
has a degree from Harvard."
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
Rules of the Evil Overlord #158. "I will exchange the labels on my folder

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,it.comp.linux,it.comp.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Serial Mouse in Redhat 6.2
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 22:48:43 -0700

$su -
password: <secret>
# mouseconfig

Reconfigure your mouse to serial mouse.

------------------------------

From: "Chaz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any SAMBA Gurus out there?
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:49:15 -0400

Hope you can help. I've got samba on MD7. and NT on my other systems. i can
see the linux box in network neighborhood but when i try to access it, i get
" \\linux not avialable.    The network path was not found." any ideas. I
suspect it's a setting in smb.conf or similar file but I can't find any info
on samba setup. Thanks in advance.

Chaz

------------------------------

From: "Michael Makuch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,local.list.linux.kernel
Subject: 2.2.12 -> 2.2.16
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 00:51:27 -0500

I'm running the Red hat 6.1 dist (2.2.12-20). I downloaded the 2.2.16-3
kernel rpm package, installed it and see

$ ls -l /boot
total 5046
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     bin            19 Aug  4 00:03 System.map ->
System.map-2.2.16-3
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       191102 Sep 27  1999 System.map-2.2.12-20
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       195991 Jun 19 18:19 System.map-2.2.16-3
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          512 Apr 10 20:14 boot.0300
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4568 Sep 22  1999 boot.b
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          612 Sep 22  1999 chain.b
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       285023 Apr 10 20:14 initrd-2.2.12-20.img
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          237 Aug  4 00:38 kernel.h
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root        12288 Apr 10 18:26 lost+found
-rw-------   1 root     bin         24064 Aug  4 00:36 map
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     bin            20 Aug  4 00:03 module-info ->
module-info-2.2.16-3
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        11773 Sep 27  1999 module-info-2.2.12-20
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        11773 Jun 19 18:19 module-info-2.2.16-3
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          620 Sep 22  1999 os2_d.b
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      1544394 Sep 27  1999 vmlinux-2.2.12-20
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      1603531 Jun 19 18:19 vmlinux-2.2.16-3
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     bin            16 Aug  4 00:03 vmlinuz ->
vmlinuz-2.2.16-3
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       622784 Sep 27  1999 vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       620247 Jun 19 18:19 vmlinuz-2.2.16-3

the new vmlinux-2.2.16-3 kernel. But there is no new initrd file. What is
initrd for? Should I continue to use the
initrd-2.2.12-20.img with the 2.2.16 kernel as in;

$ cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
        label=linux2212
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda6
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-3
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda6

Everything seems to work ok this way. What is the initrd file for? It's not
mentioned in 'man lilo.conf'.

Thanks,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Subject: HP LaserJet II
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 05:50:36 GMT

Ok. I got tired of paying hand over fist for inkjet cartridges.
So I bought a LaserJet II.
Any ideas were I can get linux printer drivers for it?

------------------------------

From: "R.B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Diald and modprobe Can't locate module tap0 - tap15
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:19:46 +1200

I recently installed diald 0.99.1 on linux redhat 6.2

everything works fine, but in the /var/log/messages file there's the
folowing (error) message :

Aug  4 15:10:16 lisa diald[2329]: Using fifo
/var/run/pppd-diald-freenet.fifo
Aug  4 15:10:16 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap0
Aug  4 15:10:16 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap1
Aug  4 15:10:16 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap2
Aug  4 15:10:16 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap3
Aug  4 15:10:16 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap4
Aug  4 15:10:16 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap5
Aug  4 15:10:16 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap6
Aug  4 15:10:16 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap7
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap8
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap9
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap10
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap11
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap12
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap13
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap14
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module tap15
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa diald[2329]: Proxy device established on interface sl1
Aug  4 15:10:17 lisa diald[2329]: Diald initial setup completed.

What is wrong ??

Richard

e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to restore my linux HD MBR
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 00:52:22 -0500

hawkjordan wrote:

> I really hope you guys could help me out of this
> trouble.
>
> Thank you very much.

Did you try?
Boot with the linux installation disk and then choose "Rescue" instead
of installing.

When it gets to the lilo prompt enter: "linux root=/dev/hdaX"  where the
X is the correct root partition.
Once you get back in to linux then just do a "/sbin/lilo" to reinstall
lilo to the MBR.

Hope this helps
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest