  Cobalt Raq3i ("Deon Boshoff")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Buschman)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: driver problem
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 18:11:53 GMT

Ok I tired what you said, and the driver was messed up.  I have a
logitech mouseman on com 1.  It is actually a serial mouse with a PS/2
->serial adaptor on it.  I know this can work cause I have used this
type of mouse in X Windows before.  But I have never been able to open
X after the latest install of mandrake 6.1.  The error I get now is:

###############################
Fatal Server Error:
Cannot open mouse (Input/output error)

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the
full server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
###############################

So what do you think that means?

Thanks,
Buschman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 4 Aug 2000 18:40:48 GMT

Make sure that your mouse is both Serial/PS/2 capable.  I had the same
problem.  I used the adapter on one computer no problem.  Then the next time
I did it (different computer, different mouse), it didn't work.  Then
I read somewhere that some PS/2 mice lack the hardware to act like
serial mice with an adapter.

Still I'm a little puzzled that X is crashing.  Usually the mouse just
freezes or behaves erratically.  Even with my failed attempts mentioned
above, this is what happened.

Chris

In alt.os.linux Buschman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Ok I tired what you said, and the driver was messed up.  I have a
: logitech mouseman on com 1.  It is actually a serial mouse with a PS/2
: ->serial adaptor on it.  I know this can work cause I have used this
: type of mouse in X Windows before.  But I have never been able to open
: X after the latest install of mandrake 6.1.  The error I get now is:

: ###############################
: Fatal Server Error:
: Cannot open mouse (Input/output error)

: When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the
: full server output, not just the last messages

: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
: ###############################

: So what do you think that means?

: Thanks,
: Buschman

: On 4 Aug 2000 15:53:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

:>You could try going through the one standard install processed (xf86config,
:>XF86Setup), but I think it would be easier to just edit your XF86Config file
:>(usually in /etc/X11/).
:>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: floppy hangs
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 18:38:57 GMT

Trying to write a boot floppy I encountered the following problem.  I
issued both the dd and the mkbootdsk commands and in both cases the
drive light came on and the floppy just sat there.  It seems hung.  It
works in win/dos fine.

Any ideas?

D3W

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Ed Sponsler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: exceed client for linux
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:54:12 -0700

sylvain hutchison wrote:

> Hi, I need to find out if any of you know how what the command line is
> for setting up an exceed client for linux is!!
> Instead of operating on a Solaris server, I need to operate on a linux
> server.
> I have absolutely no idea, and I have to get this done as soon as
> possible. My start method is REXEC (TCP/IP), and the program type is X
> Windows, dunno if that helps. Thank you for any help, I gladly
> appreciate it!!!
>
> Sly.

I'm assuming you need to run an X Client on linux (let's say
mylinux.computer.com) for display on a MS Windows OS (let's say
mywindows.computer.com) running Exceed? If so, first run Exceed on the
Windows box (this launches the X Server), open the configuration dialog,
open Security and add mylinux.computer.com to the xhost.txt file. Then,
if you want to run xterm, for example, fill in the Exceed X Client
Startup dialog which you mentioned above giving the command:

xterm -display mywindows.computer.com &

If your having trouble with the Client Startup dialog, simply telnet over
to the linux box and issue the command above.

Hope this helps.

/Ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Please Help: X-Window Freeze/NIC problem with Debian 2.1
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:14:33 GMT

Hello.

     I have been out of the Linux loop for quite some time.  Just
this past week I attempted to create a Debian 2.1 machine ( I
believe it is with kernel 2.0.36 or 2.0.38 ( R3 or R4 of Debian ) ).
     The hardware is a DEC PC5000 32MB RAM 3.2GB HDD, Matrox Mystique
integrated video and an integrated DEC 21142/21143 Ethernet controller.
     I had a relatively painless install ( things have changed
a bit since I last installed old Slackware ), but two problems
have emerged.  They seem to be related, but I am not certain.

     1) After starting X, when I attempt to access non-local Web
pages ( through links in the Debian HTML docs ) the machine freezes.
The HDD light goes solid and the only thing that recovers the box is a
hard reset.

     2) The non-local address for the NIC is not binding ( 192.168.0.1
).  I checked ifconfig and it shows no listing for eth0.  I tried to
force usage of the 'tulip' module in /etc/conf.modules, but that
didn't help either.

     I saw in passing a posting that mentioned PNP settings in the BIOS
may be a culprit but I cannot get to the machine until next week (
and stuff like this drives me bonkers until I know ).

     Can anyone provide any insight here ?  Can I correct this
with a kernel patch or patch for the 'tulip' loadable module ?

Regards,

     James.

P.S.  My net searches have not turned up anything definitive, so I
   am asking the tried and true newsgroup experts

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Buschman)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:28:02 GMT

On a slightly different note.  How did you get that list of all
available mouse protocals.  Even though I don't have X Windows working
yet I know when I get in there the video drivers will be all screwed
up.  They are for every install and I can never figure out how to
configure them correctly.

1)  How did you find that list of available drivers?

2)  How do you set up your graphics card?

You've been a tremendous help.  thank you.

Buschman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: WinLinux 2000 on a ThnikPad 390 ?
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:49:16 GMT

Has anyone been successful setting up WinLinux 2000 on a ThinkPad 390
?

It installs fine but when I try to run it, it gets as far as "starting
K Environment" and goes no further!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: multi-network interface in Linux, help!
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:25:58 GMT

Hi, is there anyone know how to setup two network cards in Redhat linux
6.1? I have tried to using conf.modules and rebuild the kernel. but it
always forget eth0's ip info(ip address, netmask, broadcast...) when I
reboot the system. I have also changed several kinds of network
interface. samething happens. Now I just use ifconfig command running
in init.d/... for temporary use.

Thanks
alfon

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 4 Aug 2000 19:40:51 GMT

"man XF86Config" is actually a pretty well done man page.  It lists the
config sections in the XF86Config file and explains the protocols supported.

For figuring out which X server to use for your graphics card.  For most you
need to install XF86_SVGA, the standard VGA server.  But there are some cards that
like other drivers (For example many older video cards with the S3 chipset
use the S3 server).

Try here:

http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/README3.html

Somewhere there is a better page on the X site that lists each server and the
cards supported, but I can never seem to find it when it is needed.  There
should be enough info for you at this link though.

Once you have the right server installed on your machine your best bet is
to use some X config tool.  If Mandrake has Xconfigurator, I'd recommend
that.

I notice you have a pretty old Mandrake (aren't they at 7.1 now?).  If you
have a new video card (Voodoo, Matrox G400, NVidia GeForce) or something like
that, you may want to upgrade (or at least get the latest X packages).

Good luck!
[...]

:>: ###############################
[...]
:>:>

From: "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.madrake,comp.dcom.modems.cable,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Problem with cablemodem and linux
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 15:46:05 -0400

I am really unsure about this one and of course the cable company is not
able to assist, being its linux.

But I was hoping someone might have an idea of whats going on. Here is a
description of my prob....

I run a triple boot system. (win98, win2k, linux  -redhat6.2). The
cablemodem is great in win98 and win2k. Fast speeds, no loss in routing and
just works great. However, when I try to configure it in linux, it will
route for a few minutes and then go dead. When that happens, I can boot into
either windows OS and its fine.

I setup the network config to use DHCP to get the IP addy. And it does so.
And even sets the hostname of the PC to match. And at the start I can ping,
traceroute, browse, etc. But its slow as hell and then stops routing all
together.

And the damndest thing is that it used to work. I have done a full reinstall
of linux trying a few different distros thinking it might be a bug or
something like that. So I have used Redhat 6.2, and mandrake 7.0. However
since they are both redhat hacks, there might be something wrong on both...

But anywhoo....

Here is a description of my setup

SMC 1208 PCI NIC
400 K62 128 MB
VooDoo3 2000 16MB
Home made system
Adelphia Cable in Boca Raton, Florida

Thanks in advance for any help....

Jim

------------------------------

From: "SoudBoy0" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help? Corel Linux + Win2k + Win98, Cant boot linux.
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 20:02:39 GMT

I can sure use some help. I would like to eventualy get involved with
helping dev linux, but first I ned to get It to boot and learn a few (many)
things. Like getting it to boot.

I have a p6set-ml board with 56m (64-8 for video) and a 433 celron. hda is
14g hdb is 2g, both maxtor udma66 and a smart & frendly cd-rw on second ide,
master.

I have the falowing already setup on my drives...

hda1    win2k    6g    ntfs
hda2    win98    6g    fat32    act.
hda3                 2g    fat32
hda4             500m   fat16

hdb1    /               ?    e2fs
hdb2    /swap       ?         ?
hdb3              120m  fat32                <----windows swap

I have inatall cd for all and also storm, if aney will help.

Win 2k & 98 dule boot fine but i cant figure how to boot linux. I had it set
up before w/o win2k and used loadlin16 to boot linux on hdb2 but with this
setup i get...
kernal panic no /initrd.....

If aneyone can help.....
BIG THANKS

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Buschman)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 20:03:57 GMT

If you're ever in the MD/VA/DC area drop me an e-mail, at the very
least i owe you a beer  ;)

Buschman

------------------------------

From: "Deon Boshoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cobalt Raq3i
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 22:00:11 +0200

Does anyone out there know how to configure a RaQ3i server?

Deon

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest