From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: multi-network interface in Linux, help!
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 21:10:18 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi, is there anyone know how to setup two network cards in Redhat linux
> 6.1? I have tried to using conf.modules and rebuild the kernel. but it
> always forget eth0's ip info(ip address, netmask, broadcast...) when I
> reboot the system. I have also changed several kinds of network
> interface. samething happens. Now I just use ifconfig command running
> in init.d/... for temporary use.

Just add a second configuration file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts,
i.e.
cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
cp ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth1

Then edit ifcfg-eth1 to be the right parameters.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Basin)
Subject: Will do almost anything for help
Date: 05 Aug 2000 01:17:42 GMT

Ok, I'm writing this from my old 486 laptop. I need help, really really bad. I
tried installing Mandrake 6.0 on my Compaq 500mhz k7 w/ 384mb of ram. I put in
the CD, and then went to some setup exe under some folder called LINXtoWIN or
WINtoLINX or something. Then it said it had updated my config.sys (I got
spooked) and then was restarting. It restarted and brought me to the Mandrake
setup screen. I thought eveything was OK so I went along with the installation.
When I got to the part where I add linux partitions I realized I had a small
problem. I have 2 hard drives; a 10 gb main one for whatever and a 2 gb system
one for whatever swap or other space I need. Disk Druid wouldn't let me
partition my Quantum Fireball 10 gb nor the 2 gb (it wasn't letting me change
the setting on the size of the partition). I thought that I'd just restart into
Windows and get some partition software and go back and install. I was terribly
wrong. I figured out there was no proper way to exit the installation to I just
flipped the switch on my APC. My comp started, showed the little compaq logo on
startup before windows logo like it always does, and then brought me to the
mandrake setup screen. I went nuts. I tried everything, for hours. I can't even
get a boot disk to do the trick (it doesn't even check for disks in the disk
drive). Only thing I can do is open my BIOS setup screen which proves useless.
I do have [on my mandrake setup screen] a little prompt at the bottom that is
supposed to let me boot a kernel image, but the only one it seems to be able to
find is linux... I'm pretty sure something is amiss with my config.sys or boot
sector but I have no idea how to fix it or even access it. I need windows (I
have some very important software that I'm writing for it, and no, sadly, it's
not backed up [i know, im an idiot]). I just want to get rid of this linux
setup and get back to windows, just how it was before. If someone can help me
I'll do anything I possibly can, this is really important and I'm basically
screwed without the files on my desktop and some of my windows apps. I'll do
almost anything for help, PLEASE.

 - Gary Basin

             Gary Basin
    -Programming Monkey-
             Go Monkey

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 00:13:09 GMT

blowfish writes:
> You see. Business software is part of the business expenses, so, they're
> tax deductable.

> The money has got to go, either to the software companies, or to the tax
> collectors.

You know even less about accounting then you do about copyright, and you
have clearly never operated a business.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 01:24:31 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:
>Christopher Browne wrote:
>> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:
>> >>
>> >Here goes your twisted logic again...
>> >
>> >Okay. A just robbed a bank. Then you go and robbed A, took the money
>> >that A robbed from the bank.
>> >
>> >You didn't robbed the bank directly, but you're in process of the bank's
>> >money by robbing A.
>> >
>> >Does that makes you a lesser criminal??????????????
>>
>> Money is a construct for which ownership is pretty intrinsic.
>>
>> Its _essence_ is as an expression of owned value.
>>
>> Thus, any argument surrounding the notion of things that _cannot be
>> owned_ cannot be applied to money, at least not without taking _great_
>> care to form syllogisms to indicate the lack of ownership.
>
>How/Why money cannot be owned?
>
>If you've created something, anything, and people likes it, they pay you
>money for it, or for a copy of it. Then, you've *EARNED* that money, and
>that money belongs to you. You have every legal title over that money.
>
>Or if your parents have earned the money, and passed it down to you,
>then, you have inherented the money bevause of your parents. Even if you
>didn't work for it yourself.
>
>That money is still yours. And you're the legal owner of that money.

I don't disagree with all that; the notion of being "owned" is pretty
intrinsic to money.

The point is that if the original premise concerned something that
_couldn't_ be owned, it is problematic to try to build analogies using
money, which _is_ owned.

>> Putting that another way, if A robs a bank, then A has taken some
>> form of property that is _owned_.
>>
>Wrong again.  The bank NEVER OWNED the money. The money is owned by
>depositors, and leave it their under "TRUSTS". And allowing the bank to
>invest the deposited money, but give some interests back to those who
>deposited the money as a reward/return, and promise try to keep their
>money safe.

Wrong about what?  I never said _who_ owned the money.  It could be
owned by the bank.  Or by depositors.  Or by the bank's owners.

That's not of any importance to the point, which was that if money is
stolen from the bank, something _owned_ has been taken.  The question
of who owns it is not particularly relevant; the point is that it
happens to be owned by _someone_, which means that the example doesn't
relate to the original contention about:
   "if you can't own it, you can't be stealing it right?"

So far, you're doing a real good job of showing that you can't stay on
track.  You keep changing subjects, and not addressing the original
claim, which is that:
   "if you can't own it, you can't be stealing it right?"

If you are interested in a debate, then debate that statement.  Don't
change topics to "robbing banks" which doesn't relate in any useful
way.

>> That is completely incompatible with the thesis being explored which
>> is that that some computer software may be expressly _not ownable_.
>> [Further down the road lies the thesis that "intellectual property" is an
>> intellectual _sham_ using the argument that ideas are _not_ property...]
>>
>> Something that is not owned cannot be "stolen," and thus there can be no
>> "robbery," and hence the notion of associating criminal action with thus
>> makes no sense at all.  It's not owned, wasn't stolen, and thus there
>> is no "criminal."
>
>Here you're trying to go around circles again.
>
>> Grump however you like about how "you weren't talking about that,"
>> but you _were_ responding to the line:
>>   "if you can't own it, you can't be stealing it right?"
>>
>> Two directions appear _reasonable_ in constructing a coherent debate
>> to the thesis:
>>   a) You could claim that the notion that "you can't own it" is
>>      nonsense, and that the "can't be stealing part" thus has nothing
>>      to follow.
>>
>>      But you never said anything about that.
>>
>>   b) The alternative is to say "OK, fine, you can't own it.  But
>>      that _doesn't_ lead to stealing being impossible."
>>
>> Instead, you ignored both the initial premise ("can't own it") _and_ the
>> claimed result ("can't possibly steal it"), and made up some alternative
>> thesis indicating that this is all just like saying that it's not criminal
>> to rob banks.  That's nonsense.
>
>Yes, ideas are being stolen all the time, and nothing can really be done
>about it.

That begs the question of whether ideas are ownable property.  If they
are, then they may be "stolen."  If they aren't ownable, then they
_can't_ be stolen.

>But, when the idea has became a tangible item, like written down as a
>piece of software, a music score, or something that you can actually
>sell to an audience, then, that idea has an owner. - The person who has
>created it out from thin air.
>
>Your kinds of ideas about *free are all donky dungs.

The term "free" hasn't come up so far; the debate hasn't reached any
point where any meaning of the word "free" would be of any relevance.
Your bringing it up at this point is "donky dungs."

>> >No. But reality sure busted a lot of rainbow dreams by bubble heads.
>>
>> Don't blowfish have pretty bubbly heads?
>>
>> You may _think_ you're arguing well, but it's rather more like Ratbert
>> wearing an "external brain pack" (aka piece of liver around his waist),
>> and then debating using lines like "I must be right - this brain pack
>> has a degree from Harvard."
>
>Don't put words into my mouth. I never said I argue well.
>
>But I started to wonder why I'm wasting my time on loonies!?

You're claiming to try to debate, but your best arguments seem to come
down to saying things like:
  "Your kinds of ideas about *free are all donky dungs."

It seems to me that you are indeed wasting your time.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/>
"People  are more  vocally opposed  to fur  than leather  because it's

------------------------------

From: Eric Schweitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Floppy not found on boot
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:43:16 -0400

I'm installing RedHat 6.1 on a Dell Optiplex P-III. I can boot from a
floppy with no problem (into Linux from RH6.1 boot disk, into DOS, etc),
but when starting from the hard disk I get the following during bootup:

mount  /dev/fd0   not a valid block device    [FAILED]

Of course, subsequent attempt to mount it don't work. The pertinent
lines from fstab are:

/dev/fd0              /mnt/floppy         ext2    noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/fd0              /mnt/dosfloppy      msdos   defaults  0 0

Any ideas?
TIA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zebee Johnstone)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 5 Aug 2000 01:16:56 GMT

In comp.os.linux.setup on Fri, 04 Aug 2000 17:17:24 -0700
blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>> Here, you deduct it from your taxable income, not the tax you pay.
>>
>So.  If you can deduct it from your taxable income, you're than paying
>less tax. Isn't it? Mate!?

Which isn't what you said.  You said that the money went either to the
software company or the taxman.

Clearly only half (at a marginal rate of 50%) goes to the taxman.

And if company tax is lower - in some places it may be as low as 30% -
then the reward for buying and tax-deducting is not attractive.

BIg companies have been pirating for years.   I've worked for several
and a lot of software was dodgy.  Wasn't until FASA started getting
real aggro and knocking off people like MLC Insurance that they
tightened up.

However, small business and home users are not peanuts in the software
world.  If they were, places like OfficeWorks wouldn't be selling
software.

Zebee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Zebee Johnstone)
Subject: Re: detecting my ethernet card?
Date: 5 Aug 2000 01:17:24 GMT

In comp.os.linux.setup on 4 Aug 2000 23:56:29 GMT
Peter Bismuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Are there any linux (REDHATj) tools for detecting an ethernet card after
>installation? Netconf perhaps?

Kudzu.  Ships as standard with 6.1 and later.

Zebee

--
SAGE-AU: The System Administrator's Guild. www.sage-au.org.au
  To advance the profession of System Administration by raising

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 01:59:07 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when blowfish would say:
>Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.setup on Fri, 04 Aug 2000 13:54:24 -0700
>> blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >The arguement of costs is not important at all.
>> >
>> >At least for any real businesses.
>> >
>> >You see. Business software is part of the business expenses, so, they're
>> >tax deductable.
>> >
>> >The money has got to go, either to the software companies, or to the tax
>> >collectors.
>> >
>> >So.  Tell me where's the *real* saving!!!???
>> >

>> Does tax deductability work differently in the US?
>>
>I don't know.  I'll have to ask my cousin in Australia.
>
>> Here, you deduct it from your taxable income, not the tax you pay.
>>
>So.  If you can deduct it from your taxable income, you're than paying
>less tax. Isn't it? Mate!?

If the corporate tax rate is 30%, then for every dollar spent on
expenses, you get to deduct $0.30 from the tax bill.

That means that while there is a tax "benefit," you're still behind
by $0.70 on the dollar, or, in other words, are sitting on a net
loss of money.

I used to do tax work (in Canada; higher rates, not ludicrously different
principles), and was fairly amazed at the number of doctors that
were quite happy to throw their money away on frivolous "tax shelter"
investments.  I think they felt happy about it because they got to keep
from paying the government a bunch of money.  It was nonetheless quite
irrational from an economic standpoint since for them to save $10,000 on
their tax bill, they had to throw $20,000 into the "toilet" of "stupid
tax shelter."

You seem to be suffering from the same delusion, namely that it's always
good to diminish your tax bill.  That's downright _false_; the more
rational thing to do is to _maximize your net cash flows._  Paying an
extra $50,000 in taxes is a _wonderful_ thing so long as you're receiving
an amount significantly _more_ than $50,000.  I'd rather like to have
an income tax bill next year of $100,000; that would imply that I had
a whopping lot more income than I had this year.

>> So at best you save the tax that would be paid on the amount, not the
>> amount.
>>
>> The costs must count, else who would bother pirating?  And plenty of
>> businesses *do* pirate, ask any of the vendor's associations.
>>
>To a certain extend. Yes.
>
>For private end users, and very small shops, probably.
>
>But for medium size and up biz.  Not really. A few thousands, or even a
>million or two,
>might just be the amount that they put in the monthly petty cash.

... And this betrays the _other_ misunderstanding of how people
actually attain wealth.  Moving from "rags" to "riches" comes, in
great part, from careful attention to detail, which includes paying
attention to those "few thousands" of dollars.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
Roses are red,

------------------------------

From: david C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X setup in Dell OptiPlex GX110
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 02:04:18 GMT

Hi,
 Does anyone successfully install X server in Dell OptiPlex GX110 ?
I already installed redhat 6.2 and also go to dell's web  site to
download the rpm package for graphic driver (intel 810 graphic
chipset), after I install the rpm, the X setup can detect the graphic
card, but it can't start the X server, my monitor is compaq V75, and it
is also in the monitor list, so everything looks fine, except can't
start the X server, and there is no detail of the problem.
 Can anyone give me some info. ?
Thanks.
David

Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 10:04:43 +0800
From: "Michael Yuan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATM card for Linux

Thanks  a lot,
    There is  website contains all useful information of ATM on Linux
http://lrcwww.epfl.ch/linux-atm/

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Wesley Struebing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partiton Problem
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 20:36:21 -0600

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000 22:34:55 -0400, "S. Charbonneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrotf:

>Salut Martin,
>
>Maybe you could try working on your partition with tools like aefdisk or
>Ranish partition manager.
>I use both together with success. What I usually do is that once I have
>partitioned the disks like I want, I use the OS specific tools to prepare
>the partitions for use.
>
>Maybe ça peut t'aider.
>Bye.
>
>"Martin Racette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I've installed Mandrake 7.1, and since I
>> let it create it's own partitions
>> instead of creating them with Partition
>> Magic, I have a problem with the other
>> partition on that same disk. I can't
>> access them with Partition Magic, nor
>> with OS/2's FDISK.
>>
>> The error message I have with Partition
>> Magic is as follow:
>>
>> "This error occurs under some operating
>> systems when logical partitions are not
>> chained together in the expected order.
>> DOS, OS/2, Windows 95, Windows 98, and
>> Windows NT require that logical
>> partitions be chained together in
>> ascending order. Some other operating
>> systems do not require this. For
>> example, some versions of the Linux
>> FDISK utility chain logical partitions
>> together in the order they are created.
>> This error message identifies a very
>> dangerous situation; using the DOS FDISK
>> in this situation can cause loss of one
>> or more partitions. "

FWIW, I had this problem when I first tried RH with its *graphical*
interface and disk druid (I was later warned VERY strongly not to use
disk druid - a little late...)

It apparently has something to do with the way the partitions are
sequenced.  With the *normal* sequence chain futzed by (in my case)
disk druid, WIN would recognize it's information since its info was
not hosed, but no self-respecting non-destructive utility would touch
the drive - FAR too dangerous. In some cases, I think PartitionMagic
is overly cautious, but I know I'd rather be safe than lose everything
on a disk.

What I wound up having to do was back up all my WIN stuff, and then
load a real DOS (not the DOS from Windows) and low-level format my
disk again to get the chains back in the proper sequence.  I could
then repartition/resize to my heart's content.  I never did get RH
installed (other problems besides), but linux fdisk while somewhat
painful to use was much safer and would partition *properly*.  At
least so I was told (by compatriots who went through the same thing
and wound up NOT using disk druid.

Don't know whether this helps you...

>> I need to resize some of the partitions
>> that are access with OS/2, and WIN98

Well, mine had WIN95 and WIN NT.  Fun and games restoring all that
stuff!

------------------------------

From: "D. C. & M. V. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: locking down GNOME
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:52:31 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well the powers that bve wanted a smooth transition.  But what looks
> like is going to happen is that everyone gets a different login, as this
> will give us much more flexibility etc.  What we had before was people
> logging in using all the same username/password because the workstations
> were pretty independent (no central administration).  Well now we're
> actually getting our act together so it looks like everyone will have a
> separate login to a central NIS server.  Still, these people only need
> to run a few apps.  How can I keep them from piddling around on the hard
> drive (ex. hitting ALT+F2 to Run something)?

Offhand I can think of a couple of ways to do this.  One is to
lock down the executables that you want to control so that only
members of the 'priveledged' groups can use them at all.  The
other would be to set them up with keyboard maps, etc. that just
don't let them do things you don't want to allow.

In the larger sense, though, *nix isn't really built around PROGRAM
security so much as DATA security.  After all, who cares what programs
people run so long as they don't change anything important (we're
assuming that the purpose isn't to keep them from surfing pr0n sites
on Company time.)  Lock down the data and let them run what they will.

--
| Bogus as it might seem, people, this really is a deliverable       |
| e-mail address.  Of course, there isn't REALLY a lumber cartel.    |

------------------------------

From: "D. C. & M. V. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet II
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:58:38 -0700

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:

> Ok. I got tired of paying hand over fist for inkjet cartridges.
> So I bought a LaserJet II.
> Any ideas were I can get linux printer drivers for it?

LJII drivers are part of just about every Linux distro around.
Red Hat, for instance, includes them in package rhs-printfilters

From: "D. C. & M. V. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help? Corel Linux + Win2k + Win98, Cant boot linux.
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 20:06:29 -0700

SoudBoy0 wrote:

> I can sure use some help. I would like to eventualy get involved with
> helping dev linux, but first I ned to get It to boot and learn a few (many)
> things. Like getting it to boot.
>
> I have a p6set-ml board with 56m (64-8 for video) and a 433 celron. hda is
> 14g hdb is 2g, both maxtor udma66 and a smart & frendly cd-rw on second ide,
> master.
>
> I have the falowing already setup on my drives...
>
> hda1    win2k    6g    ntfs
> hda2    win98    6g    fat32    act.
> hda3                 2g    fat32
> hda4             500m   fat16
>
> hdb1    /               ?    e2fs
> hdb2    /swap       ?         ?
> hdb3              120m  fat32                <----windows swap
>
> I have inatall cd for all and also storm, if aney will help.
>
> Win 2k & 98 dule boot fine but i cant figure how to boot linux. I had it set
> up before w/o win2k and used loadlin16 to boot linux on hdb2 but with this
> setup i get...
> kernal panic no /initrd.....

A lot of bootsector loaders have a problem with anything past the first
8 GB.  Your two Win* partitions do OK because the system code is below
that magic point, but the EXT2 is too far out.

What I do:

Set up a small (~12 MB) /boot partition at the beginning of the disk.
Install LILO to the beginning of that partition, NOT to the bootsector.
>From LILO you can boot any of the other OS images no problemo, and the
main part of your Linux install can also be wherever you like.  Since
the WinPuppis are kinda inflexible about drive letter numbering and
since they get very cranky if you reorder the drive letters, be careful
how you set them up.  Linux, OTOH, doesn't give a rip.

Have fun!

--
| Bogus as it might seem, people, this really is a deliverable       |
| e-mail address.  Of course, there isn't REALLY a lumber cartel.    |
| There isn't really a tooth fairy, but whois toothfairy.com works.  |
+----------- D. C. & M. V. Sessions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ----------+

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest