Linux-Setup Digest #333, Volume #19               Sun, 6 Aug 00 01:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Default root  for WinLinux 2000 ? (DW)
  Got X running but no windowmanager I think help ("Eric Haskins")
  How to do an FTP Install/Upgrade? (Stephen Biggs)
  ??amount of swap space in relation to memory ("!!Tonnere de Brest")
  kppp help, can't dial out unless as root (Yet Yu Lee)
  Re: Why does lp.0 module show "not used" with lsmod? (Albert Wagner)
  Re: Default root for WinLinux 2000 ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  freeciv (David Lewis)
  Re: Getting a Boot Floppy (Valentin Guillen)
  Re: freeciv (David Lewis)
  Re: ??amount of swap space in relation to memory (de savant)
  Re: Will do almost anything for help (Valentin Guillen)
  How to find driver for 3C589C, LAN PC card? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Any SAMBA Gurus out there? (Michael Perry)
  Re: Floppy not found on boot (Michael Perry)
  Re: Got X running but no windowmanager I think help (Michael Perry)
  Re: X monitor settings durring installation (Mary P)
  Re: Apache will not serve numeric IP address (David Efflandt)
  Re: How to Compile Software Sources- Where are all the lib's in RH6.2???? (Michael
Perry)
  MBR issue - can't install new OS (Charlie)
  Re: Apache will not serve numeric IP address (Charlie)
  Redhat Rawhide FTP install problems (Stephen Biggs)

From: DW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Default root  for WinLinux 2000 ?
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 21:09:59 -0400

Just installed WinLinux and I don't know what the root pass is.
Anyone help ?

DW
Thanks In Advance

DW
(Invalid Mail Address so please don't try to send
 to it!!)

------------------------------

From: "Eric Haskins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Got X running but no windowmanager I think help
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 21:28:48 -0400

I got X to finally run  Now I have a grey screen  with a white box in top
left corner (term screen) it doesnt look like its loading a window manager.
Any websites with some Xconfiguratin stuff or any commands so I can get
gnome up??  And I thought when I finished the multiple NIC's and IPChains i
was passed the hard part lol

--
Eric Haskins
Broadband Wireless Tech

------------------------------

Subject: How to do an FTP Install/Upgrade?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Biggs)
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 02:06:39 GMT

Hello all,

This should be a real simple question for someone.

I am running Redhat 6.2 and wish to upgrade to the latest rawhide system.

How do I do an FTP install?  Is there a special application that I invoke?

------------------------------

From: "!!Tonnere de Brest" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.unix.admin
Subject: ??amount of swap space in relation to memory
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 19:30:22 -0700

 87 Rot@ns1 /home/httpd/html#uname  -a
Linux ns1 2.2.13-4mdk #1 Tue Sep 7 18:23:11 CEST 1999 i686 unknown

6:12pm  up 3 days, 21:15,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00
CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.9% system,  0.0% nice, 99.0% idle
Mem:   63156K av,  61564K used,   1592K free, 358832K shrd,   2012K buff
Swap: 104384K av,  12808K used,  91576K free                 13592K cached

as you can see, the machine is running out of memory. I am planning to add 128
megabytes of memory. Do I have to increase the size of the swap space? Also is
there a simple command that would give me the amount of memory and swap on the
machine?

Thank you very much.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
 Thanks, Ghaouar Camij Toschian,  (please remove KeinSpam  from the email
address )
 [EMAIL PROTECTED], 510 5408013, 2500 Durant # 310, Bk, CA 94704
 http://www.domainmart.net/InternetAccess/buildings.htm
 http://www.istanbulexpress.com/oldsite/sweetener.html

Visualize that the smoke of cigarettes is unpleasant to other people.
Visualize that peoples' civic duties do NOT include having to breathe the
smoke from cigarettes.
Visualize that astrologers, fortune tellers, tarot card readers, psychics and
palm readers are Crooks, Fools or Both.
Visualize using the Metric System.

------------------------------

From: Yet Yu Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: kppp help, can't dial out unless as root
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 02:36:05 GMT

I suid 'chmod 4755' all associated kppp files, still the kppp dialog
disappears as soon as entering 'root' password.  Here's the error I'm
getting.

h: /lib/cpp: No such file or directory
kpanel: waiting for windowmanager
kpanel: ok, commencing initialization
AUDIT: Sat Aug  5 19:12:31 2000: 792 X: client 10 rejected from local
host
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
kppp: cannot connect to X server :0

Anyone have idea why I can't use kppp as non root?

------------------------------

From: Albert Wagner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does lp.0 module show "not used" with lsmod?
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 21:45:53 -0600

Hah! Forgot about Rh's gotchas page.  Needed latest modutils for printer
port detection.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Default root for WinLinux 2000 ?
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 02:43:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  DW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just installed WinLinux and I don't know what the root pass is.
> Anyone help ?
>
> DW
> Thanks In Advance
>
> DW
> (Invalid Mail Address so please don't try to send
>  to it!!)

I'm pretty sure you should have setup during the install... its been a
while since I did winlinux, but I'm almost certain.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: David Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: freeciv
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 21:45:35 -0500

Installed freeciv on RH6.2.  Ran the server, tried to
run the client and this is the error I get:

"bash: xxx: command not found
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server"

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

------------------------------

From: Valentin Guillen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting a Boot Floppy
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 20:54:01 -0600

Terry,

Every distribution I've seen has what you need on the installation CD.

First, there are several types of boot diskettes.  One way is to take
your DOS boot diskette, copy from the CD the loadlin.exe file and the
correct image file, and boot your machine with it.  That would cause dos
to boot, and then at an a: prompt, you would invoke the loadlin.
Another way is to boot into your linux and use the command another
poster has listed.  Yet another way is to use the DOS utility called
rawrite to take the correct image file and create a linux bootable
diskette.

Another way to boot into linux from dos or windows is to run the
loadlin.exe from the hard drive while in dos or windows.

Most of these utilities I've mentioned are found on your install CD
somewhere, (often in  /dosutils   /images  /disks) or at some other
location.  If you use a Multi-CD distribution, check your documentation
for the location of the utilities.  Many distros, like SuSE, include
more utilities like fips for dynamic partitioning/resizing  DOS
networking client software, m$windoz Xclients, bootlin and loadlin, and
much more.

All of these have documentation on their use and syntax, readmes, etc.
Most distros also have a readme file in the rood directory of the
install cd, telling where to find everything on the CD.

Regards,
Valentin Guillen

------------------------------

From: David Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: freeciv
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 21:50:58 -0500

Uhh, ignore the "bash: xxx: command not found", that
wasn't supposed to be in there.  The actual error is just:

"Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server"

So, anyway, Help!

From: de savant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ??amount of swap space in relation to memory
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 03:06:28 GMT

"!!Tonnere de Brest" wrote:

>  87 Rot@ns1 /home/httpd/html#uname  -a
> Linux ns1 2.2.13-4mdk #1 Tue Sep 7 18:23:11 CEST 1999 i686 unknown
>
> 6:12pm  up 3 days, 21:15,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00
> 56 processes: 55 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
> CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.9% system,  0.0% nice, 99.0% idle
> Mem:   63156K av,  61564K used,   1592K free, 358832K shrd,   2012K buff
> Swap: 104384K av,  12808K used,  91576K free                 13592K cached
>
> as you can see, the machine is running out of memory. I am planning to add 128
> megabytes of memory. Do I have to increase the size of the swap space? Also is
> there a simple command that would give me the amount of memory and swap on the
> machine?

I seem to remember a limit to the size of a usable swap space.  You can make multiple
swap
partitions though.

I like to keep the swap equal to the RAM I have installed.  It's RISC.

It looks like you have 64Mb RAM and about 100Mb swap.  Good luck!
-savant

--
========

Nothing from nothing.
                   -savant

Sometimes the best way to see clearly, is to first close your eyes.

PGP Finger Print:
C1BE 7942 8B76 3022  4222 4738 0112 B42A

Vs lbh pna ernq guvf, gura lbh fubhyq znxr vg gb jurer lbh pna abg.

------------------------------

From: Valentin Guillen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will do almost anything for help
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 21:25:03 -0600

Gary

First thing you need to do is create a fresh, new dos boot diskette.
Test it.  Make sure that you can boot another machine with the
diskette.  Make sure that you have basic dos executables available on
the diskette, executables like format.com, fdisk.exe sys.com etc.  You
NEED to have the executables which you're likely to need on the
diskette.

Next, sit down and try to remember.  You need to remember! You need to
remember if you changed, in your initial desperation, the boot sequence
setting in your bios.  You have someplace in bios the setting to select
the search order for boot devices after post.  If you were installing
linux, it may be safe for me to assume that your bios WAS set for
booting off of the Linux install CD.  Maybe that was the default.  Maybe
you changeded it.  Maybe I'm wrong.  In any case, you must set it to
search for a floppy BEFORE it searches for any other boot device.

Make sure your bios is set to "know that it's supposed to have a
floppy".

So now, remember this:  utilities which alter to the boot record, like
linux's lilo, and windoz install, both "secretly" save any existing info
before doing their "altering".  So that means that if theres an issue
i.e. a great big problem, you can issue a command to "back out" or undo
the last change made to the Master Boot Record.

So, you could boot the computer with the boot diskette you made, and
issue this dos command at the a: prompt  fdisk /mbr   That will cause
the dos fdisk program to "write back the prior master boot record".

 So don't panic, and think through each action before you do anything.
The last thing you need to do is to destroy your windoz data by taking
stabs in the dark.

Keep us posted!
vg

Gary Basin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to find driver for 3C589C, LAN PC card?
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 04:00:58 GMT

Hi all:

I am installing Potato (2.2.16) in Toshiba Tecra 720.  It's has
EtherLink III (3C589C).  There are no driver modules, 3C589C.o, in
the "/lib/modules/2.2.17/net directory.

Would someone show me how to find the module, download, and install it
for the laptop?

T.A.I.

-Hiroshi

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: Any SAMBA Gurus out there?
Date: 6 Aug 2000 04:23:44 GMT

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:49:15 -0400, Chaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hope you can help. I've got samba on MD7. and NT on my other systems. i can
>see the linux box in network neighborhood but when i try to access it, i get
>" \\linux not avialable.    The network path was not found." any ideas. I
>suspect it's a setting in smb.conf or similar file but I can't find any info
>on samba setup. Thanks in advance.
>
>Chaz

Make sure your smb.conf has at least one public or other share available.  I
include one to share mp3s with my win98 box that I maintain on my linux box
and I share my home directories since I have a few systems at home here on a
network.  I use debian potato here and the /etc/samba/smb.conf file is quite
well commented to explain things.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: Floppy not found on boot
Date: 6 Aug 2000 04:27:15 GMT

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:43:16 -0400, Eric Schweitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I'm installing RedHat 6.1 on a Dell Optiplex P-III. I can boot from a
>floppy with no problem (into Linux from RH6.1 boot disk, into DOS, etc),
>but when starting from the hard disk I get the following during bootup:
>
>mount  /dev/fd0   not a valid block device    [FAILED]
>
>Of course, subsequent attempt to mount it don't work. The pertinent
>lines from fstab are:
>
>/dev/fd0              /mnt/floppy         ext2    noauto,owner 0 0
>/dev/fd0              /mnt/dosfloppy      msdos   defaults  0 0
>
>Any ideas?
>TIA

Try giving it a mount point also.  I would try mount /mnt/floppy or create a
/floppy mount point if that's easier.  ARe you attempting to mount DOS or
ext2 formatted floppies?   If you just want to read a floppy, perhaps the
mtools would work better?  Try man mtools.  I found for dos floppy
operations they are pretty nice.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: Got X running but no windowmanager I think help
Date: 6 Aug 2000 04:32:41 GMT

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000 21:28:48 -0400, Eric Haskins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I got X to finally run  Now I have a grey screen  with a white box in top
>left corner (term screen) it doesnt look like its loading a window manager.
>Any websites with some Xconfiguratin stuff or any commands so I can get
>gnome up??  And I thought when I finished the multiple NIC's and IPChains i
>was passed the hard part lol
>

>--
>Eric Haskins
>Broadband Wireless Tech
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>!!! Look Mom No Phone Lines !!!

What distro are you using?  Are you typing "startx" to start X?  If so, try
creating a .xinitrc in your home directory and put one line in it that says:

exec fvwm2

If you have gnome installed, try putting in "exec gnome-session" and see
what happens.  If you have windowmaker installed try it in the .xinitrc by
inserting an "exec wmaker"  I am assuming you are booting in runlevel 3 here.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mary P)
Subject: Re: X monitor settings durring installation
Date: 6 Aug 2000 04:39:28 GMT

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000 11:16:27 -0700, Jack Kessler
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is Xconfigurator the same thing as /bin/xconf?

Is this a Debian/Corel/Storm etc thing? Xconfigurator
is RedHat which I am running. I don't have /bin/xconf.
I have a
Debian cdrom here and I tried
to see if /bin/xconf is equivalent to my Xconfigurator
but I can't tell from the documentation. Sorry for
the confusion, I should have asked which distro
you were using first. Maybe somebody else here will
straighten this out for you.

MP

=====================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Apache will not serve numeric IP address
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 04:40:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:11:18 -0500, Mark E. Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I cannot figure this out.
>
>Lets say that I have a machine with IP address 192.168.0.1.  running
>Red Hat 6.2.  It has 2 NICs (one for DSL and one for home subnet).
>No firewall or IPCHAINS (yet).
>
>I find that if Apache is up and running on that machine, that I can
>serve pages to myself from that machine via http://localhost.  The
>default Apache test page comes up.  No problem.  So, I know that Apache
>is working and my box can serve pages to itself.
>
>But, if I go to another machine on my same subnet (say 192.168.0.2)
>and try http://192.168.0.1 back to the other machine that I know
>is working, it simply never responds.  It is really weird, because
>nothing shows up in /var/log/httpd/access or error.
>It just never answers.
>
>I can telnet from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.1:80 just fine.  Apache
>answers to telnet.  So, I know that there is a route between the 2
>machines and all is well with regard to TCP/IP.
>
>Of course, there is no DNS on my home subnet.
>
>The reason that I care is that if my box at home is getting DHCP from
>my ISP, I will not have a DNS name -- only an IP address.  So, if I
>want to serve up a page, it will have to be in the format of
>http://123.456.789.012.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark
>CC: via [EMAIL PROTECTED] appreciated.

Apache should work on any interface, internal or external (mine does).

A trailing slash is required for any URL that does not end with a
filename.  Maybe you are using an incomplete (invalid) URL like
http://192.168.0.1 and apache is redirecting you to corrected URL
http://server_name/ which your internal box cannot find by name.

See apache docs for 'UseCanonicalName' and 'ServerName'.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: How to Compile Software Sources- Where are all the lib's in RH6.2????
Date: 6 Aug 2000 04:44:12 GMT

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:10:51 -0500, Phillip J. Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am still pretty new to C programming and compiling.  But when
>configuring the install process, one typically needs to identify the
>location of all the library files.
>
>On a RedHat 6.2 system how just do I figure out where all the lib files
>are (x and everything else under the sun)??  I would really get a thrill
>if I could just get one single little program to compile!
>

>Thanks
>
>Phillip J. Allen
>e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Try this.  Download a smaller program to compile.  I have good luck
compiling something like mutt; the email reader if you do not have it
already installed.  The trick here is to let the developer do the work that
was intended.  The initial script that the INSTALL readme will tell you to
run will go out and find those pesky libs everywhere or attempt to.  The
first step is to run the "configure" script and let it step through things.
It will then either tell you that things are okay or that it could not find
some requirement.  A common one with X applications is not finding the X
devel files.  These are contained on the redhat cd actually usually called
something like Xdevel...rpm.  If the configure program reports it cannot
find make, automake, or autoconf, thats a clue to stop right there and get
the redhat cd out and install those using rpm commands.

There are a few programs I have found to be rather enjoyable to compile.
One is slrn after doing a libslang install.  It just motors right through
and its fun to have the library to see compile first and then do the actual
newsreader and see your compile date show up when you are done!  Another one
that is interesting to watch is enlightenment.  I always like some of the
comments I see flashing by the screen; like "searching for mass quantities
of bass ale in the fridge".  Another cool one to compile is windowmaker
because it has a dependency on libproplist. There are yet others which I
have enjoyed to do.  I compiled xhcat the irc client a few times and like it
immensely and I also have compiled Pan a few times.  Once I compiled
Ghostscript and have done an X server a few times.  I didn't particularly
care for either of those compiles...

I would pick a program which may be an easy compile based on what it does or
perhaps if you use gnome a smaller gnome applet or something and give it a
try.  Don't worry about all the locations unless the configure script cannot
find something and its actually there.  When I use rpm systems a lot, I
would install a library from tarball sources only to have a rpm program
complain it could not find the library.  Of course, it was not in the rpm
database!

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Charlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MBR issue - can't install new OS
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 00:41:21 -0400

Most of you won't think is a problem, but I can't install Windows on my
computer.  I had SuSE Linux on a 2 gig partition, using LILO to boot.  I
deleted the partition using FDISK, formatted and SYS'd the drive using a
bootable DOS disk.  I go through the whole NT setup procedure, but when
I reboot, all I get are the letters "LI" in the corner of the screen,
and it stops there.

How can I write over the master boot record and fix this?

By the way the only reason I need NT is to use a Quicknet Line Jack
phone card.  The app is not available yet for Linux, though drivers are
under development.
www.quicknet.net

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Charlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 00:57:34 -0400

I think that your Web server may be configured to respond to the IP address
which is assigned to the public network interface card.  Check httpd.conf and
magnus.conf.  It's been a while since I configured Netscape Enterprise Server,
or Apache, but I think you find the answer in one of these file.

Can you bring up the Web page via the public address, over the DSL line (eg.
http://217.12.50.1/)?

David Efflandt wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 18:11:18 -0500, Mark E. Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I cannot figure this out.
> >
> >Lets say that I have a machine with IP address 192.168.0.1.  running
> >Red Hat 6.2.  It has 2 NICs (one for DSL and one for home subnet).
> >No firewall or IPCHAINS (yet).
> >
> >I find that if Apache is up and running on that machine, that I can
> >serve pages to myself from that machine via http://localhost.  The
> >default Apache test page comes up.  No problem.  So, I know that Apache
> >is working and my box can serve pages to itself.
> >
> >But, if I go to another machine on my same subnet (say 192.168.0.2)
> >and try http://192.168.0.1 back to the other machine that I know
> >is working, it simply never responds.  It is really weird, because
> >nothing shows up in /var/log/httpd/access or error.
> >It just never answers.
> >
> >I can telnet from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.1:80 just fine.  Apache
> >answers to telnet.  So, I know that there is a route between the 2
> >machines and all is well with regard to TCP/IP.
> >
> >Of course, there is no DNS on my home subnet.
> >
> >The reason that I care is that if my box at home is getting DHCP from
> >my ISP, I will not have a DNS name -- only an IP address.  So, if I
> >want to serve up a page, it will have to be in the format of
> >http://123.456.789.012.
> >
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Mark
> >CC: via [EMAIL PROTECTED] appreciated.
>
> Apache should work on any interface, internal or external (mine does).
>
> A trailing slash is required for any URL that does not end with a
> filename.  Maybe you are using an incomplete (invalid) URL like
> http://192.168.0.1 and apache is redirecting you to corrected URL
> http://server_name/ which your internal box cannot find by name.
>
> See apache docs for 'UseCanonicalName' and 'ServerName'.
>
> --
> David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Redhat Rawhide FTP install problems
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Biggs)
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 05:06:27 GMT

Hello all,

I am trying to install/upgrade my Redhat 6.2 system to be Rawhide.

I made the boot and driver disks from the images.  It booted just fine, but
when I tried to give it the network card driver (DEC 21143 which is bound
to eth0 as de4x5), trying all flavors of the DEC drivers including de4x5
gives me back "failed to insert * module", where * is either de4x5 or
tulip.

Are there options I would need to feed to this driver and if so, in which
file would I find them in my current Redhat install (/etc directory?)

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest