Linux-Setup Digest #349, Volume #19               Tue, 8 Aug 00 05:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Re: How do I move filesystem from ide to scsi drive (Denzil Kelly)
  user .profile not executing ("Ross Levis")
  Re: linuxconf corrupting files (smb.conf,Redhat 6.2) ("Ross Levis")
  How to configure Display of OpenLinux 2.3? ("Kevin")
  Re: INIT: Id "x" respawining too fast: disabled for 5 minutes -- and it won't stop!
(Bill Unruh)
  How to install (internal) modem in RedHat 6.2? (Keith Wong)
  Re: Which distribution for file server? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: linuxconf corrupting files (smb.conf,Redhat 6.2) ("Kevin")
  Re: linuxconf corrupting files (smb.conf,Redhat 6.2) ("Kevin")
  Re: NEWBIE QUESTION.. (Max Lybbert)
  Display configuration of OpenLinux ("Kevin")
  WU-FTP Setup (how-to)?? (Dodd)
  SuperUser equivalent (Guy-Armand Kamendje)
  cdrom setup (Kwong H Chan)
  Promise ultra66 ("Stefaan Morbee")
  Re: no sndconfig with RH 6.2 ("Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]")
  Re: initrd lilo option? (Villy Kruse)
  Re: user .profile not executing (Villy Kruse)
  Printer Setup ("David N. Haney")
  Re: Display configuration of OpenLinux ("Lonni J. Friedman")
  Re: Trade Mandrake 7.1 for equivilant (James Stafford)
  Re: reclaiming the master boot record? (Staffan Emren)
  Re: Promise ultra66 ("Jake")
  Re: Alpha AXP 150 (a.k.a. Jensen) ("H.C. van der Vegt")

From: Denzil Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: How do I move filesystem from ide to scsi drive
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:29:22 GMT

I only have 2 partitions
/ and swap

------------------------------

From: "Ross Levis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: user .profile not executing
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:36:08 +1200

The .profile in one users folder stoped being executed at login.  I've
checked the permissions are OK and the user can edit the file.  Other users
work fine.  Where is this controlled from?

Thanks,
Ross.

------------------------------

From: "Ross Levis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linuxconf corrupting files (smb.conf,Redhat 6.2)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:41:43 +1200

I've since found out that it is a bug in the version of linuxconf released
with RH6.2.  Downloading the latest version fixes the problem.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:41:38 +0800
From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to configure Display of OpenLinux 2.3?

Hi,

I just installed OpenLinux 2.3 on my desktop which has an Inter(R)810e
Chipset. The system can't identify this graphic chipset, so the X-window
can't start.

Can anybody help me to settle this urgent problem?
Thanks,

Kevin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: INIT: Id "x" respawining too fast: disabled for 5 minutes -- and it won't
stop!
Date: 8 Aug 2000 03:57:11 GMT

In <8mnemq$qs5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Dave Brondsema <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]I have a RH 6.2 system installed with the "Server Installation".
]Everything seems to be working fine now, but while I was working some
]bugs out, I restarted several times in succession.
]Now I get the following message after everything boots and starts (no
]problems):

]INIT: Id "x" respawining too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

This refers to the line starting with x: in /etc/inittab . inttab keeps
restarting its programs which die. If it restarts to fast, it will wait
5 min ( for you to correct the error) and then try again.

This is teh xdm or gdm or whatever . Go into /etc/inittab and reset the
id:5
line to
id:3

Then try to figure out why xdm/gdm/kdm is crashing (llok in the logs)

]If I just wait, it appears a 2nd time (5 minutes later) and will never
]stop.
]If I hit enter, I can log into the system (text-only).  Every 5 minutes
]the message will re-appear.

]I've tried waiting a long time while: 1) the computer is off   2) I'm
]logged in  3) I'm not logged in.

]How do I fix it so the windows system will automatically launch after
]everything boots???

]Thanks in advance

]--
]Dave Brondsema

]Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
]Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Keith Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to install (internal) modem in RedHat 6.2?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 12:05:16 +0800

Same Subject.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Which distribution for file server?
Date: 8 Aug 2000 04:09:43 GMT

Any suggestions on a "lightweight X Window manager"? And how easy is it to change
after Mandrake 7.2 installs KDE by default?

Equinox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Until then, try to find a nice lightweight X window
: manager.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:57:50 +0800
From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am using OpenLinux of Caldera systems. Do you have any suggestion to solve
the problem?

news:8mnvk7$98v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:07:00 +0800
From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am using OpenUnix of Caldera Systems.
Do you have any suggestions?

From: Max Lybbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEWBIE QUESTION..
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 21:54:01 -0700

E J wrote:

> $ su -
> password: <secret>
> # cd /some_directory
> # # remove other user read, write and execute access
> # chmod o-rwx restricted_sub_directory
> # # If you want to go further and remove group read, write and execute access
> # chmod g-rwx restricted_sub_directory

This will do what you want.  Even though the users can get into these other
directories, they can't access any files without the permissions being set to
allow it.  That means they can see the /root directory, but no matter how hard
they try they can't get in there or erase any files in there.

If a user does not have read permissions to a file or directory, the name will be
listed, but access is locked.  If the user does not have write permissions he
cannot change or erase a file or directory, and if he doesn't have execute
permissions he can't run a file.

In other words, if there's a reason for the users to not see the files, run these
commands.  If you're just worried about them wreaking havoc, go ahead and stop
worrying.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 13:51:03 +0800
From: "Kevin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Display configuration of OpenLinux

I installed OpenLinux2.3 but can't configure the display. My desktop use
Inter(R)810 chipset.

Can anybody give some suggestions?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dodd)
Subject: WU-FTP Setup (how-to)??
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 06:19:02 GMT

I installed the wu-ftp RPM and checked my inetd.conf configuration.
However when I (or anyone else that is ALLOWed) tries to login I get
"login failed" on the console and an entry in /var/log/messages that
says "ACCESS DENIED (not in any class).

What do I need to check, and is there a good site/book with
information for setting up a NON-anonymous FTP server??

Thanks,

Dodd Martin

------------------------------

From: Guy-Armand Kamendje <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: SuperUser equivalent
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 06:46:42 +0000

I have following problem: I 'am runnig Redhat 6.2 in a Nis+Domain. I
want the user let's say admin to become SuperUser equivalent on the
local machine. Using linuxconf, I have granted him all possible
privileges. But when the user admin tries to execute linuxconf, the
system wont allow him to do this
[admin@hermes]$ linuxconf
bash: /bin/linuxconf: Permission denied
This is also the case wiht other binaries. How can I get my system
behaving the way I will like it to do?
thanks
--
 G.A. Kamendje  || Tel +43 316 873 55 51
 T-U Graz       || www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/g/gaillard/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 02:32:34 -0400
From: Kwong H Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrom setup

i'm now using redhat 6.0 but can't load anything from cdrom
i double check the /etc/fstab.  there's such line as

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom  iso9660  ..optinos..  0 0

i even manually mount the drive with the following

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

some books mention  about /dev/hdc (since i installed that
ide cdrom under the ide1 in master) yet it is no good either

anyone ? any clue?

------------------------------

From: "Stefaan Morbee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise ultra66
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:22:30 +0200

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me on this.
I have a fair knowledge of linux but now I have put my
hard disks on a Promise ultra66 controller, and when I want
to install linux (redhat 6.2) it doesn't recognize the controller.
Is it possible to make a setup disk for redhat 6.2 so it will
also look for the promise controller, so I don't have to witch cables
again ?

thx

------------------------------

From: "Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: no sndconfig with RH 6.2
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 08:13:30 +0100

Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I newly installed Red Hat Linux 6.2 from Red Hat's distribution CD,
> choosing the Gnome Workstation option.  The RH docs say that to
> configure for sound, use the sndconfig command.  But when I try this in
> a console window, I get the error message that this command was not
> found.
>
> Where is it?

Hi,

I would guess the 'workstation' option dosen't install the program. (Nor
does it install things like the telnet/ftp servers but that is another
story - moral: use the 'custom' install option ;-))

Install the sndconfig rpm file....

Woth the RH CD in the CDROM drive...
mount /dev/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
rpm -i sndconfig-0.43-1.i386.rpm

HTH

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             CSIP Demonstrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Nortel Networks,

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: initrd lilo option?
Date: 8 Aug 2000 07:41:00 GMT

On 8 Aug 2000 00:34:43 GMT, Peter Bismuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In my old lilo.conf file there is an option:
>
>       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
>
>I can't find it in the man pages, what does it do?  Do I need it,
>and if so where/how do I get the *.img file?

If you run redhat standard kernel and your root is on a SCSI disk unit
you need initrd to install the SCSI drivers before mounting the
root file system.  On a pure IDE disk system the initrd is mostly
empty and is not needed.  You can call it a bug in the new redhat
install procedure to build this file and add it to lilo when it is
not required.  The old install procedure never did that.  On the
other hand it doesn't hurt much either.

The initrd image is built by the mkinitrd command on redhat systems.

And yes, the initrd is not described in "man lilo.conf" where one
would expect it.  That ought to be fixed.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: user .profile not executing
Date: 8 Aug 2000 07:43:58 GMT

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:36:08 +1200, Ross Levis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The .profile in one users folder stoped being executed at login.  I've
>checked the permissions are OK and the user can edit the file.  Other users
>work fine.  Where is this controlled from?

  ... by the existense of the .bash_profile file in the user's home
directory.

Check the chapter INVOCATION of man bash

Villy

------------------------------

From: "David N. Haney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer Setup
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 00:47:14 -0700

I am trying to setup a Compaq IJ600 on a Compaq 7360 with Red Hat.
According to the messages file (in /var/log I think), it appears
that the lp0 is detected and even the printer is detected as
some version of Lexmark.

The printtool is a nice utility, but when I use it to add the
printer and try any of the "filters" which I suspect are from
Ghostscript, the printer does not work.  Perhaps I need a filter
specific for this printer, but I would at least expect it to print
out some garbage with the wrong filter, but I dont get any
activity on the printer (which works fine on the Win98 side).  It
seems that lpd is running if I grep for it in a ps output.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.
--
#########              David N. Haney, Ph.D.                 #########
#  Haney Associates                            Phone - 858-483-1197  #

------------------------------

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Display configuration of OpenLinux
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 03:17:10 -0400

Kevin wrote:

> I installed OpenLinux2.3 but can't configure the display. My desktop use
> Inter(R)810 chipset.
>
> Can anybody give some suggestions?

upgrade XFree86 to a more modern version, or better yet, upgrade COL to
the latest version, 2.4.

------------------------------

From: James Stafford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Trade Mandrake 7.1 for equivilant
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 08:21:49 GMT

Ryan Stark wrote:

> ack, make that MaximumLinux magazine, stupid outlook(autocorrect or
> something), I miss netscape.....
>
> Sorry,
> Ryan Stark
This is funny, I was just thinking of Maximun Linux today. I was
wondering if it was still around. I bought the first issue at a large
supermarket, and have never seen it again. Around Christmas 1999 I was
at Comp USA, there was this dude there messing with the magazines so I
asked him if he took care of them.  He said that he did, so I asked
about Maximum Linux and he said he only leaves a few. I have looked for
this magazine at Crown, Book Star, and other large bookstores and can
never find it. That very first issue was the only one I ever saw.

Do they ever put other distros on the CD, like Slackware?

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

------------------------------

From: Staffan Emren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: reclaiming the master boot record?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 10:28:00 +0200

Peter Bismuti wrote:

> I tried running lilo as root but it still is trying to boot into
> Win98, apparently I did more than overwrite the MBR.
>
> What can I do now if anything?
>
> Thanks

My guess is that lilo is not installed on the MBR, but on the first
sector of a partition. Check your /etc/lilo.conf, if it says
"install=/dev/hda" it installs on the MBR, but if it says something like
"install=/dev/hda2", then lilo is installed in the first sector of that
partition.

This approach can in some circumstances be an advantage. The standard
DOS/Windows MBR checks for a so called "Active partition" and loads the
boot code from that. You then have to set your linux partition as
active, and the MBR loads lilo which in turn loads other OSes as
requested. The advantage to this is that programs that resets the MBR
(like Windows 9x/NT install) does not destroy lilo. The disadvantage is
that you lose something like 512 bytes from that partition... :-)

Best regards

Staffan Emren

------------------------------

From: "Jake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise ultra66
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 08:36:23 GMT

http://www.linux.org/help/ldp/howto/mini/Ultra-DMA.html

news:8mocfh$q3b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "H.C. van der Vegt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.alpha
Subject: Re: Alpha AXP 150 (a.k.a. Jensen)
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:02:19 +0200

Hi Micheal

I have a jensen running on RH 6.2 and it works also great !
Take a look at
http://tuddv2.ced.tudelft.nl/jensen/redhat/6.2/Hints_to_get_jensen_running.txt

Henry

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Michael wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have Redhat 6.2 running on my PIII workstation...works great.  Has anyone
> tried to install it on the alpha axp 150 ? Are all features supported?  What
> is the lowest\earliest alpha that redhat 6.2 will run on?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

Delft University of Technology         Henry van der Vegt
Dienst Technische Ondersteuning
Systemen voor Onderwijs en Onderzoek   UNIX system support

Mekelweg 6                             Tel.  015-2788512  ( +31152788512 )
2628 CD Delft                          Fax.  015-2786359  ( +31152786359 )
The Netherlands                        Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest