Linux-Setup Digest #21, Volume #20               Sun, 12 Nov 00 04:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: DSL help (Hal Burgiss)
  Newbie with a DNS? problem ("sambaBasher")
  LM7.2 New Install problems ("Kaybee")
  LinuxMandrake 6.0 is disgusting (yongelok)
  Help, please. Lilo: append ("James A. Crugnale")
  simple mail server questions ("Diesel")
  Re: SBLive Help! ("David ..")
  Re: cleaning up old kernel files ("David ..")
  Re: rsh, rexec (Alan)
  Re: "No Audio CD" (David Efflandt)
  Re: 1 server, 4 gateway (David Efflandt)
  Re: LinuxMandrake 6.0 is disgusting ("Nick Wagner")
  I need some help setting up chroot enviroments ("Nick Wagner")
  Re: apache (David Efflandt)
  Re: My Linux box won't power down itself... ("Greg Williams")
  Re: printer setup problems (TopQuark)
  How do you record setting during setup? (Peter)
  dual boot newsgroup (Peter)
  Re: Windows/Linux : Disk size issue (John Winters)
  Re: headless and both serial ports used ("Mark Langsdorf")
  Re: Help, please. Lilo: append (Matthew Haley)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: DSL help
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:22:41 GMT

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:36:42 -0500, S Varadarajan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Cisco 675
>> >ISP: USWEST
>> >DSL: USWEST
>>
>> Is the Cisco a router? (I think it is.) In which case, the linux box
>> gets IP from the Cisco. Cisco gets its IP from USWest.
>>

>I have Cisco 675 - I dont think it is a router. It is only a modem
>(from ethernet to external phone line to DSL provider). If you
>want a router, you can get one from LinkSys which is useful
>for hooking up multiple PCs to the internet. I just got mine
>and am in the process of installing it.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/675.htm

Router. But also, can act as bridge.

--
Hal B
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "sambaBasher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie with a DNS? problem
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:25:18 -0800

I have just installed Red Hat 7.0 (and use Gnome) and can connect to my dial
up ISP. My problem is that I can only connect to websites via their ip
address. Is there something simple that I am missing?

Thanks, David Hirose

------------------------------

From: "Kaybee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LM7.2 New Install problems
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:24:42 -0600

I just installed LM7.2 Complete on an old HP Vectra VA (PentiumPro200, 64MB
ram, 2.5GB disk) and the install went without any errors.
Here's the problem.  When the system rebooted after the install, it gets to
the Loading Kernal messages, and then the PC reboots again.  This will
continue indefinitely until you power off the system.  Upon powering up
again, it boots fine.  Once booted into LM7.2, if I choose "Restart" on the
shutdown menu, it goes back into the continuous startup/reboot routine until
it is powered off.  And once again upon powering off/on, it boots fine.
I have tried low-level formating the drive (IDE Quantum) and re-installing
taking all defaults (TWICE!) to no avail.
HELP!!
>From what I see, I like the OS.  Any suggestions as to what to look at?  Am
I doing something wrong?? I have flashed the PC to latest bios.
Please email responses, and thanks in advance.
Kent

------------------------------

From: yongelok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LinuxMandrake 6.0 is disgusting
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:30:02 -0000

   My PC has two hard disks, and they are configured as C: drive
   and D: drive. On the C: dirve I installed Win98 Operating System.
   On the D: drive it is empty.

   The other day I tried to install LinuxMandrake 6.0 onto my
   D: drive. So I followed the setup instruction in the manual.
   I insert the Linux floppy boot disk, and start the computer.

   To my surprise and my disgust, LinuxMandrake 6.0 tries to
   repartition my C: drive( or the first available hard dirve, to
   be more accurate ). It did not intelligently give me some choice
   as to on which hard drive I want to install the Linux if it detects
   there are more than one hard drives in the system. Such feature is
   routinely expected in the Windows software. So much for
   the "revolutionary" Linux OS.

   LinuxMandrake 6.0 also falsely reports that the partition table
   on my c: drive is corrupt, and offered to repartition it. I
   regrettably tabbed "OK" ( I even can not use a mouse during setup ).
   Then LinuxMandrake 6.0 overwrites the partition table on my
   C: drive without WARNING ME THAT SUCH ACTION WOULD RENDER ANY
   EXISTING OS ON MY C: DRIVE UNUSABLE !

   Immediately after that I changed my mind and chose to go back
   to Win98. So I took out the LinuxMandrake 6.0 floppy boot disk
   and restart the computer. But to my dismay, my c: drive is now
   toasted. All I got is a blank screen. I even did not get a blinking
   cursor. I now can not read a single byte from my C: drive.

   So much for this "revolutionary" OS hype. Now I would rather
   gleefully pay $1000000 to buy a copy of Window OS than to try
   those disgusting free Linux shit.

   Why can RedHat, Caldera, Corel and other companies offer Linux
   software( which contains millions of lines of code ) for such
   a low price? Because they do not write these software themselves.
   They merely copy it from the Internet, and repackage it.

   If the consumers know the insider story about how these
   low-priced linux OS software is produced, I think they
   will fell ripped-off and will revolt again RedHat.

------------------------------

From: "James A. Crugnale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help, please. Lilo: append
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 23:35:33 -0500

The Lilo kernel option "append" does not seem to work for me. How is it
supposed to be used? I can boot Linux from the Lilo prompt with "linux
ide2=0xdfe0,0xdfae root=/dev/hde3". How can this be put into my
/etc/lilo.conf so I don't have to type it every reboot? Thanks!
-- Jim Crugnale
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Diesel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: simple mail server questions
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:04:28 GMT

Whenever I log into my box it says I have new mail, but even if I check pine
it says I have no mail, if I check elm, it says I have 1 message that is
from Mail System Intern. that I should not delete, because it will be
recreated.  Anyway, that message is really annoying when It is not
right, where can I change it to check the Right directory to check for new
mail ?

Thanks

Diesel

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SBLive Help!
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 05:57:46 -0600

"D. Bell" wrote:

> I have recently installed RedHat Linux 6.1 on my WindowsMe box at home.  I
> was able to successfully get my ppp working last night (had to use external
> modem), but I still can't get my sound card to work.  It's a SoundBlaster
> Live Value PCI.
> Is there a configuration utility (GUI) that does this, or do I need to
> somehow set this manually?
> If anyone can give me some direction, I'd appreciate it.
> Thanks,
>
> db

http://www.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?prod=sblive&OS=Beta&reg=0&select=Get+Files

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more work units than: 98.797% of seti users +/- 0.01%.

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cleaning up old kernel files
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:46:19 -0600

inon21 wrote:

> It's a RH 6.1 distribution, and recently I compiled & installed kernel
> 2.2.16. Now, the old one (2.2.12-20) files/modules and all still sitting on
> the disk.
>
> How can I clean up this and make room? Seems like this kernel was installed
> thru kernel-2.2.12-20.*.rpm from RH.
>
> Please help. Thank you

rpm -qa | grep kernel

rpm -e --nodeps kernel kernel-source kernel-smp kernel-pcmcia-cs

And any other reference to the kernel. If you compiled the kernel from a
tarball then you can remove all of the kernel rpm's.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan)
Subject: Re: rsh, rexec
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:22:56 GMT

Yes... I'm using bsh. Thanks for the suggestion... I'll try to find
the root of the solution... ctrl-sth doesn't really work.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: "No Audio CD"
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:32:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 19:12:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi
>I have a dvd which is recognized by linux (suse 7,
>2.2.16). However, I get no audio output if i want
>to play an audio cd there. Everything seems to
>work except the audio output. This works under
>windows.
>Any ideas about how to solve this problem?

Do you have sound working in general (can you play sounds in general)?
Have you checked your mixer settings to see if volume is down for CD?  Do
you have permission to access /dev/cdrom (might need to set up a group for
normal users to access it)?  Make sure that you umount'd any data CD that
was in the drive and do not try to 'mount' a music CD.

CD music is usually one of the easiest sounds to get working since the CPU
is not involve in playing the sound (hardwired to soundcard), it just
controls the starting and stopping or tracks.  In fact you can close some
CD players and the CD will continue to play.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: 1 server, 4 gateway
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:44:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can 1 apache server support multiple router/gateway?

Not quite sure what you mean.  Apache will usually answer to any interface
on the box (like in my case localhost, eth0 and ppp0) unless you
specifically set it to only answer certain IPs or ports (or specific
virtual hosts).

If you have variable dynamic routes I imagine you might need to use gated
or routed with a suitable protocol for your routers.  But routing should
have nothing at all to do with apache configuration unless you are trying
to control what can be accessed from intranet and internet, and that is
best controlled with ipchains or some sort of firewall.

From: "Nick Wagner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LinuxMandrake 6.0 is disgusting
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:48:10 GMT

If you new you had Windows on that drive, why in the hell did you say "yes"
to the repartitioning?
Sounds like a stupid mistake to me.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Nick Wagner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I need some help setting up chroot enviroments
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:51:39 GMT

I want to jail my ftp users into there own home folders, so I took the tasks
on my self, I was somewhat successful in the process, my only problem now is
that my ls command is showing hidden files. Like if I ftp into my own
account, i see my bash_history file there. The ls that came with my
distrobution (RH6.0 with secureweb) doesnt show anything at all. I found the
docs to do it at http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Administration/wuftpd/
Read the comments from other users to find where I got the patched ls from
and please help me with this problem.

Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: apache
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:55:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:26:26 +0100, Martin Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We want to use apache company intern only .
>Therfore i thought about adding the lines :
>Deny from all
>Allow from .OURCOMPANY
>to the httpd.conf file.
>As i tried with the first line only i was still
>able to access Suse - help which lies on
>http://localhost/... (I thought with Deny from all
>only this has to fail) .
>
>Is this the right why to do it ?

Try this and see if it works (assuming you apply it to the proper
Location or Directory section):

order allow,deny
allow from .OURCOMPANY

Otherwise play around with the order of deny,allow or deny settings.

From: "Greg Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: My Linux box won't power down itself...
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:24:38 +1000

This happened to me and I tried recompiling the kernel but it still doesn't
work.  Any suggestions?
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TopQuark)
Subject: Re: printer setup problems
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 07:49:31 GMT

On 11 Nov 2000 15:01:31 +1100, Jimbob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How can i set up my printer to print documents, graphics etc?
> Currently i am using a generic printer driver and when i try to print
> a pure text file like something produced with vi it prints fine but if
> i print a document i created in Star Office or the like, i get huge
> amounts of 'code like' garbage being printed.

  -  what kind of printer?
  -  printed from what?   # command line, netscape, ...
  -  what line printer daemon (lpr, lprNG, ...)
  -  anything else?
  -  magicfilter installed?  apsfilter?

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] Give up Spammers; I use procmail.

------------------------------

From: Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How do you record setting during setup?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 08:00:43 GMT

Is it possible to have Mandrake or similar distros record all the
settings and options selected during setup so they can then be
inserted in to documentation for future setups?

The information recorded would have to be in a form that related to
the setup screens so a subsequent worker can read the setup
documentation and see exactly what to click at each screen.

Lists of changes to individual configuration files would not help if
they were set up by an option like "workstation".

------------------------------

From: Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dual boot newsgroup
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 08:19:09 GMT

There are so many questions about dual boot that it deserves a
comp.os.linux.dualboot.

The dual boot questions are of no interest to me. I avoid dual boot no
matter what operating system. I even use a new computer when I have to
switch to summer time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Winters)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,uk.comp.os.linux,uklinux.help.newbies
Subject: Re: Windows/Linux : Disk size issue
Date: 12 Nov 2000 08:07:27 -0000

In article <WAjP5.4328$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chris Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I wish to install linux (redhat) as a dual boot option on a machine
>currently running windows98 only. I need to increase the disk space to do
>this so would like to replace the current 1Gig disk with a somewhat larger
>one (20Gig or so). Now, I suspect my machine may suffer from the 8.4 Gig
>1024 cylinder limit BIOS issue which would effect windows but not I gather
>linux.
>
>If so could I get around this problem with the following ? If I place the
>linux boot partition and the windows partition below the 1024 cylinder
>limit, and then make the remaining space above 1024 into linux partitions.
>I've used linux quite a bit but never installed a system so I don't know if
>this is possible, or just a dumb idea ?

Create a small (30M) partition at the start of the disc for Linux.
Then create your Windows partition using however much of the disc you
want.  Then use the rest of the disc for Linux and use the original
small partition has /boot.

Like this:

/dev/hda1       Primary  30M    Linux   /boot
/dev/hda2       Primary  1G     Windows C:      (or more if you must)
/dev/hda3       Extended Rest
/dev/hda5       Logical  128M   Linux   Swap
/dev/hda6       Logical  ....and so on

Then have LILO install in the MBR and choose which OS you want at boot
time.

HTH
John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

------------------------------

From: "Mark Langsdorf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: headless and both serial ports used
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:34:12 -0600

"Jay Rogers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm setting-up an embedded processor that has modems on both
> serial ports.  When the system boots, console messages are sent
> out ttyS0 causing the modem to become unresponsive.
>
> How do I direct console message somewhere that won't affect the
> serial ports?  I tried adding "console=tty9,9600" as an append to
> lilo.conf.  The kernel still uses ttyS0.  Perhaps it needs a real
> serial device but both are being used.

    Why don't you just recompile kernel with the Serial Console
option turned off?  That should probably do the job.

-Mark Langsdorf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Haley)
Subject: Re: Help, please. Lilo: append
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 08:58:10 -0000

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 23:35:33 -0500,
 James A. Crugnale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The Lilo kernel option "append" does not seem to work for me. How is it
>supposed to be used? I can boot Linux from the Lilo prompt with "linux
>ide2=0xdfe0,0xdfae root=/dev/hde3". How can this be put into my
>/etc/lilo.conf so I don't have to type it every reboot? Thanks!
>-- Jim Crugnale
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

   root=/dev/hde3
   append = "ide2=0xdfe0,0xdfae"

+  1:57am  up 1 day, 10:08,  5 users,  load average: 1.20, 0.82, 0.62 +

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest