From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem setting up NIS Slave Server
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:12:07 GMT

In article <9oYQ5.654$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Joe Decker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Joe;

I hate to start with the trivial, but you should make sure that the
master server's name and ip address are entered in the host file

-JW

> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble setting up an NIS slave server. When I
run 'ypinit -s
> master' I get the following error:
> "Can't enumerate maps from master. Please check that it is running."
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joe Decker

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Darcy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Linux and NTFS
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:32:36 -0000

if you use the kernel 2.2.17 you can both read and write access an NTFS
drive.

news:vV6R5.476$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Gregorie)
Subject: Re: Mounting a scsi tape drive
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:46:37 GMT

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:40:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Greetings,
>  I was wondering how to mount a tape drive onto a linux box. I am
>running RH7 and the tape drive is an external scsi tape drive connected
>to a PCI scsi card.

Well, I just installed one recently under RH 6.2

All I did was to install the SCSI card (an Adaptec 2930U PCI card),
set the drive (an HP 4/8 GB DDS2 device) as unit 0 and boot up again.

Setting the tape as unit 0  makes the tape map to /dev/nst0 (no auto
rewind) and /dev/st0 (auto rewind).

Once booted and before loading any modules I put a blank tape in the
drive, logged in as root and typed

mt -f /dev/nst0 status

and the system told me all about the SCSI controller and the drive,
including the fact that it had a tape in it.

' tar cvf /dev/nst0 /home'  worked immediately  :-))

The bottom line is that on my rig installing a DAT tape was much
simpler than I'd expected. I hope you're as lucky.

--
gregorie  | Martin Gregorie
@logica   | Logica Ltd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Foster)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: MP3 decoder-encoder
Date: 17 Nov 2000 15:03:17 GMT

In article <8up67k$mf7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Derek Jolly wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Pritchard), in message
><8s1j30$on$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, wrote

>>I used abcde (A Better Cd Encoder) which unfortunately is command line.

>I'm using bladeenc personally.  I've written a little shell script that
>enables me to create a file called tracklist in a directory containing
>each of the track names on the CD.  Passing the directory to the script
>then goes off and runs cdda2wav and bladeenc on each of the tracks on
>the CD naming them as trackname.mp3, where trackname is the relevant
>entry in the tracklist file.

Bladeenc? Use 'lame' instead - it's a lot faster (at high-quality, it
encodes faster than real-time on my K6-2 450), it's just as free, it
produces much higher quality MP3s (approaching those produced by the
Fraunhofer encoder, apparently), and new versions have support for the
potential MP3 replacement, Ogg Vorbis.

Go on, you know you want to. :-)

I can't remember the URL for it, but try typing 'lame' into Google. It'll
probably find it...

Adam Foster

--
    Adam Foster - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Charif Lakchiri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need help!
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:03:41 +0900

Hi to all,

I am newbie to Linux. I have recentely installed Red Hat 7 and don't know
how to do the settings for ISDN's TA connected to serial port.
Do I have to deal with it as a normal modem? Could anyone tell me how to do
it?
Thanks in advance for any help.

charif [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Dialup in Gnome???
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:10:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>See I have already done what both of you have said.  I configured Linux
>to connect to the internet by going into linuxconf and putting in there
>my ppp settings.  When I connect to the internet, I type ifup ppp0 at a
>console window with no GUI.  It works great in KDE and every other
>desktop and worked great in GNOME until I upgraded it to Helix GNOME.
>But now it wont work in Helix GNOME anymore.

Maybe a path problem, then?

try /sbin/ifup  in the applet property boxes.

And check you can run that as a user; may need to type

chmod +s `which pppd`

as root.

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:28:26 +0100

Matthew Darcy wrote:

> if you use the kernel 2.2.17 you can both read and write access an NTFS
> drive.

You can perhaps, but I'm not sure if you should. I most certainly will
not even make the slightest attempt to write to it. ( ntfs write support
is still *very* experimental)

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Darren Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: A Quick Quake III Question
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:14:20 -0800

If I want to run Quake II / III on my Linux box, either as a server or in
single player mode, do I need to have the Linux distribution, or can I
simply copy the PAK files to the Linux side?  Is there a special module I
need to add in addition to the X server?  Although I have set up QI, there
are few articles that I can find describing QIII setup.

------------------------------

From: Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE2 install procedure
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:59:02 +0000

I want to install KDE2 on my RH6.0 system which currently runs KDE1.
However I am a bit uncertain about the install process. I have
downloaded quite a lot of rpms, including kdebase-2.0, kdelibs-2.0,
kdesupport-2.0, and qt-2.2.1 as well as the other kde apps, sound, games
etc
I am told that the correct procedure is to rpm qt, followed by
kdesupport, kdelibs and kdebase, and then the rest in any order.
Can anybody confirm that this is what I have to do, and is the single qt
rpm I downloaded enough to install qt or are there other files I need?

Thanks,

Martin

------------------------------

From: Huw Lynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where should I put .so ?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:53:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E8re=5FOrph=E9e?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> now I did... :(

So it's still not working?

Huw Lynes

From: Huw Lynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Difficult to install Linux
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:01:21 GMT

In article <8v32km$7gs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am a beginner on learning Linux. In my PC, I've already installed
> Win98. Now I also want to install linux 5.0 in order to dual-boot
> between 2 os. But every time when i am going on the last stage of
> installation-- ----"Lilo setup", whatever i do , Lilo can't be
> installed.   If i choose to use SCSI device, it looks like being ok.
> But when the computer reboots, i can only see many blinking lines on
my
> screen, which means i can neither work on win98, nor Linux.
>   If i choose not to use SCSI device, Lilo can't be installed and
SETUP
> can't be finished.
>   Because there are some bad sectors on my hard-disk, i wonder whether
> Lilo is just going to be installed on those bad sectors, which leads
> the problem i get stuck in.
>   There is anyone to help me to point out the reason and a way to
solve
> this problem.
>   (There is no any SCSI device on my computer.)
> Thanks!

Hi Winston,

Lilo gets installed in the boot sector (which is why virus scanners
quites often report it as a virus) so if bad sectors were the problem
your hard drive wouldn't be working.

Before you tried to install linux (which ditro are you using ,by the
way?) did windows boot succesfully?
What hard drives do you have on your system and how are you tring to
partition them?

Hopefully with a bit of info we can work out what went wrong

Huw Lynes

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: A Quick Quake III Question
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:11:12 -0500

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Darren Welson wrote:
>If I want to run Quake II / III on my Linux box, either as a server or in
>single player mode, do I need to have the Linux distribution, or can I
>simply copy the PAK files to the Linux side?  Is there a special module I
>need to add in addition to the X server?  Although I have set up QI, there
>are few articles that I can find describing QIII setup.

You can use the windows Quake III CD.  Go to www.lokigames.com and get the
point release.  They tell you how to do it, they did the port!
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   http://counter.li.org

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)

------------------------------

From: Maik Schwandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.x,com.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: XF4.01, tdfx, voodoo banshee
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:00:57 +0100

hi!

i want to use the hardware 3d acceleration of my creative 3d blaster
banshee PCI video card while using mandrake7.2 with the new xfree86
4.0.1.

when i used the old xfree3.3.4 i had to use the right xserver together
with the 3dfx.o kernel module to use the 3d acceleration of my banshee.

how can i reach this with xfree86 4.0?

there is no problem when i load the 3dfx module with "insmod 3dfx" but
there is no 3d acceleration, too.
i read that i have to load the tdfx module but it seems that it is not
possible on my system:

   insmod tdfx

   Using /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/tdfx.o
   /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/tdfx.o:

unresolved symbol agp_enable_R50eb8453

then i tried to load the agpgart module first. that could not be (and
was not) successful because i do not have AGP!

   insmod agpgart

   Using /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/agpgart.o
   /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/misc/agpgart.o:
   init_module: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt
   Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
   including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

can anyone help me, please?

Which functions have the following files?

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/tdfx_dri.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/glide_drv.o

thx & greetz
        maik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Schaumann)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:21:22 GMT

* Darren Welson wrote:
> If I want to run Quake II / III on my Linux box, either as a server or in
> single player mode, do I need to have the Linux distribution, or can I
> simply copy the PAK files to the Linux side?  Is there a special module I
> need to add in addition to the X server?  Although I have set up QI, there
> are few articles that I can find describing QIII setup.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Quake-HOWTO.html

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Professor: "Good news, everyone. Several years ago I tried to log onto AOL, and
it just went through. Whee! We're online."

------------------------------

From: "Texstar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie with Mandrake 6.5 - re. practicality of setting up HP 5100c ;Epson
FS 200; Yamaha DS-XG PCI Sound card.
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:32:01 GMT

I have a HP 5100c parallel port scanner that I ran with Mandrake 7.1 and
now with 7.2. All I did was install Sane, then insmod ppscsi and insmod epst
which are the backend drivers. I use gimp to import my scans.

Im not sure if the Mandkake 6.5 kernel has the ppscsi or the epst module
support but heck you can do an kernel upgrade and you will be in
business.

Cheers,
Texstar

------------------------------

From: Huw Lynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE2 install procedure
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:47:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I want to install KDE2 on my RH6.0 system which currently runs KDE1.
> However I am a bit uncertain about the install process. I have
> downloaded quite a lot of rpms, including kdebase-2.0, kdelibs-2.0,
> kdesupport-2.0, and qt-2.2.1 as well as the other kde apps, sound,
games
> etc
> I am told that the correct procedure is to rpm qt, followed by
> kdesupport, kdelibs and kdebase, and then the rest in any order.
> Can anybody confirm that this is what I have to do, and is the single
qt
> rpm I downloaded enough to install qt or are there other files I need?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

Works when installing from source so I suspect it's the same with the
rpms.

Huw Lynes

From: "Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! Unable to install Red Hat 6.2!
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:55:18 +0800

i've 2 harddisks : Primary Master 30GB, Slave 10GB
i've got a C: of 15GB for the primary master. for the rest, i just leave
them as unallocated space.
i've installed the Win2000 on the C : (FAT32, i've even tried NTFS),
however, when i try to install the red hat linux, the installation program
prompt me an error :

crc errorVFS : Cannot open root device 08:34
Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 08:34

and then my machine hangs!
may i know how i can fix this problem?
i really would like to have both the win2k and the linux installed on the
same machine!

Please help! Thanks!!

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest