Linux-Setup Digest #78, Volume #20               Mon, 20 Nov 00 15:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: replacing 2-button with 3-button mouse (Alex Deucher)
  Re: ADSL via serial ports (Alex Deucher)
  Re: MSN Dialup Broken (Alex Deucher)
  Re: PPP and Ricochet (Alex Deucher)
  Re: auto power off (Alex Deucher)
  Re: Need help to setup a CD-ROM Writer Through a SCSI externail port. (Alex Deucher)
  Re: LI hangup after upgrade from RH6.1 to 6.2 (Alex Deucher)
  Re: Logitech Scrolling wheel mouse (Jeff)
  Re: Kernel Compilation Errors (was Re: "Warning: Pasting would not give a valid
pre-processing token") (Rand Simberg)
  Re: alsa problem - no sound (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Re: no NE2000 card found at i/o=0xA0 ("William Alexander Segraves")
  Re: newbie question: help with gcc & apache ("Michael Schnick")
  Re: Linux instalation ("John Pfaff")
  Re: Logitech Scrolling wheel mouse (Paul)
  Re: Logitech Scrolling wheel mouse ("Jan Oberländer")
  can't boot to linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: help - printer won't work (Huw Lynes)
  Re: can't boot to linux ("Mathias Rodenstein")
  SOLVED: CD-RW failure - What do I try next? (Andreas Mohr)
  How to setup Web-front end to linux mail server? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Which Linux to try? (Colin Watson)
  numlock ("Mathias Rodenstein")
  kppp / DNS suddenly won't resolve!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:12:41 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: replacing 2-button with 3-button mouse

If you are talking about X, edit your XF86Config file.  I can't remember
the exact syntax off hand, but the man page should get you started.
"man XF86Config"

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:19:16 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ADSL via serial ports

I've never really heard of a serial port based ADSL solution.  It would
seem that the 115K top speed of the com port would be something of a
limiting factor. you'll have to find out what protocol they are using.
if it is ppp, I don't forsee any problems because ppp over a com port is
how you would connect a modem.  I'm not sure what the command set might
be to the adsl device.  You wouldn't need pppoe (PPP over ethernet)
unless you are using an ethernet card.

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:50:40 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MSN Dialup Broken

Check your routing perhaps?  What authentication are you using?  They
may have switched from PAP to CHAP.  Also check your syslog when pppd
runs and see what it says.

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:59:24 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP and Ricochet

Are you using the USB modem or the pccard modem?  the USB modem emulates
a AT command set.  some of the pccards do too, others work like a NIC.
Just create a dial-up session like any other modem.  Unfortunantely,
I've never used Ricochet under linux.

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:38:44 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: auto power off

all you have to do is edit your /etc/rc.d/halt or rc.halt, I can't
remember the exact name and replace the line

"halt"

with

"halt -p"

Also if you are using an smp kernel and want the system to power off,
make this change and then append "apm=power-off" to lilo.conf

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:32:01 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help to setup a CD-ROM Writer Through a SCSI externail port.

Linux supports several different filesystems through kernel modules.
I'm not sure what type of filesystem HPUX uses, but you could look at
the different options available in the kernel sources.

Alex

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:42:07 -0500
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LI hangup after upgrade from RH6.1 to 6.2

try adding "linear" without the quotes to the top of your lilo.conf,
re-run lilo and reboot.

Alex

------------------------------

From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Logitech Scrolling wheel mouse
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:32:23 +0100

>> Anyone know how to make my 3-button Logitech scrolling mouse work in Linux
>> (and UNIX)?
>>

> I shall assume you mean for scrolling with the wheel.
> use imwheel or alternately XF86-4.0.x depending as I understand
> 4.0 natively support wheels after a fashion.  Only used imwheel myself.
> Works fine.

I never tried imwheel, but XFree 4 is working perfectly fine with
Logitech's wheeled mice.
FYI, XF86 latest version is the 4.0.1-5.
Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Subject: Re: Kernel Compilation Errors (was Re: "Warning: Pasting would not give a
valid pre-processing token")
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:29:21 GMT

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:33:17 GMT, in a place far, far away, Bernhard
Mogens Ege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:52:42 GMT, in a place far, far away,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my
>> monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:
>
>>> I'm doing a kernel upgrade to 2.2.17, and getting lots of these
>>> messages during 'make bzImage'.
>>>
>>> What does it mean, and what should I do about it?
>
>> I just blew away my usr/src/linux directory and started over from
>> scratch.  This time I didn't get that string of error messages, but I
>> still some errors at the end--
>
>On RedHat 7.0 you must change the Makefile to use kgcc instead of
>gcc. Also, before you begin anything within the kernel source tree, do
>a "make mrproper". Then you can do the "make xconfig" and stuff.

OK, did all that.  I edited Makefile and changed HOSTCC to "kgcc" and
did the make mrproper first.  I get exactly the same errors.  Lots of
warnings about not getting valid pre-processing tokens, and the same
"badly punctuated paremeter list" errors at the end, with no vmlinuz.

simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Replace first . with @ and throw out the "@trash." to email me.
Here's my email address for autospammers: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: alsa problem - no sound
Date: 20 Nov 2000 18:34:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Andreas Hiltenkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi !
> I've got a problem getting sound using a via sound chip
> The alsa driver can be sucessfully loaded but I can't hear any sound.

Did you un-mute the channels?  By default, alsa mutes all output channels.
You can fix this with xmixer or amxier.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: "William Alexander Segraves" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: no NE2000 card found at i/o=0xA0
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:32:45 -0600

IIRC, PNP only needs to be disabled in the setup of the NIC.

Bill Segraves
Auburn, AL

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Michael Schnick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie question: help with gcc & apache
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:48:08 +0100

Hi!

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I want to install Apache but read in the INSTALL that I need a compiler
> like GNU c.  So I downloaded it and have been trying to run ./configure.
> I keep getting an error saying that cc doesn't exist and I need to set
> the cc environment variable to a compiler.
I don´t know mandrake. But it should come along with several packages
which contain software to install.

One of these packages should contain the gcc-compiler which you need...

--
CU,
Michael

ICQ# : 14657968

------------------------------

From: "John Pfaff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux instalation
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:58:20 -0500

The way I do it is to use a boot floppy, and have Lilo load from the second
hard drive.  The first hard drive (Win98 in my case) isn't even involved.

news:NGuR5.126467$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 20 Nov 2000 18:26:34 GMT

Darren Welson [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote in
<8vbhe7$mkt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Anyone know how to make my 3-button Logitech scrolling mouse work in
>Linux (and UNIX)?

Using GPM (Linux) and IMWHEEL (Linux/FreeBSD) For more info:

http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

--
      __
     /_/

------------------------------

From: "Jan Oberländer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:07:52 +0100

In article <8vbhe7$mkt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Darren Welson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyone know how to make my 3-button Logitech scrolling mouse work in
> Linux (and UNIX)?

Check this!

http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

cu,

Jan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: can't boot to linux
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:04:15 GMT

I've lost my linux partition. I have a dual boot pc win98/linux. I
installed linux on an extended partition of 40G drive. Drive was
partitioned into groups of 10G with Linux splitting one group into five
2G partitions + swap. Linux was installed and running fine for several
months. While running windows, playing a freaking game, win98 ofcourse
crashed. Rebooted and suddenly win was asking to format new 10G drive???
I ofcourse opted out and immediately tried to boot to linux which
failed. At LILO prompt I type 'linux' then this happens:

linux....

thats all. Any suggestions of how to recover???
thanks in advance,

garcia2000

From: Huw Lynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help - printer won't work
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:06:13 GMT

In article <8vbi9i$g0b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi
> I have Red Hat 7.0 on a Compaq Presario machine, and an Epson Stylus
> 440. I have managed to set the printer up with printtool by adding the
> line options parport_pc io=0x378,irq=5 to my /etc/modules.conf file,
> which gives the appropriate entries for my parallel port. But I can't
> print anything. When I print any of the testpages from printtool
nothing
> comes out of the printer (which works fine under windows). When I do
lpq
> at that point it appears that all the test jobs that I am sending get
> immediately deleted. Has anyone have any idea what's happening and
why I
> can't print?
> Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanx
> P.

what does # lpc status
show happening?

From: "Mathias Rodenstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't boot to linux
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:40:43 +0100

use a boot disk (1.44 or original cd...something like that) and you enter
repair mode or whatever your installer offers. if you don't have one, then
you should be able to get a boot disk (image) of some linux dist from the
internet. you boot from that and reset up lilo (access your old partitions
if necessary or just build a new lilo.conf on the disk and use that.

that should work.

------------------------------

From: Andreas Mohr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: SOLVED: CD-RW failure - What do I try next?
Date: 20 Nov 2000 19:50:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Questioner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I know ACER 8432i has 8MB buffer and this CenDyne only has 2MB buffer.

> Thanks for the info.  I have since noted that one ACER drive has a
> similar (but not exact) ROM version ID as mine.  BTW, CenDyne's web
> page (or is it CompUSA's or both) shows a 4MB drive with better
> access times someone thought to be a Plextor drive.  The old
> bait-and-switch (which I knew about when I got hooked).

>> R U sure you had written or simulate written the CD?

> Yup.  And as I noted, the disk surface gets modified.
Are you sure ? I'm pretty damn sure it doesn't. See below.

I just got my CRW8432IA, and after 6 hours of debugging I found out
that this drive has a firmware incompatibility that at least the CRW1032A
has, too.
When being told to do a simulation burn, it doesn't switch back to a *real*
burn after being told so !!
And this is where the problem begins:
cdrecord has to do a simulation burn first in order to get the next write
address returned from drive. (see "Dirty Hack" in cdrecord.c).
And after that it tries to start the real burn, but the drive
doesn't switch back.

Removing the "Dirty Hack" helps greatly.

Blanking disks wasn't affected by that, though.

And of course there seems to be even some Windows software out there
that has the very same problem: nothing gets written.

I already notified Acer support yesterday, but I didn't get a reply yet.

I already contacted the cdrecord maintainer, Joerg Schilling, about that,
too, but so far it wasn't too helpful.
We'll see :)

Andreas Mohr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to setup Web-front end to linux mail server?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:42:24 -0600

We are just starting to setup a new RedHat install.

We are going to be setting up a mail server.

It has been requested that we provide access to the mail server via a
web browser.

Now I am not looking for Webbased mail administration.  This is the
answer I usually see posted when this question is asked.

I need to be able to have an outside sales person get on the internet
(ie windows98) and connect up to a web page that allows them to
retrieve their mail.

Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Which Linux to try?
Date: 20 Nov 2000 19:48:23 GMT

Martin Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>If you are new to linux Corel will be a good choice, because it is easy
>to install and administrate . If you have gained more experince you may
>want to switch to another distro, because Corel lacks many common linux
>tools , on my cd i didnt found even the editor emacs .

Bizarre. I can't find it in the corellinux-1.2 directory on their FTP
site either. You can always upgrade from Corel to Debian (2.2), though.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"What a hairstyle, what a finish!" - Sydney Olympics boxing commentator

------------------------------

From: "Mathias Rodenstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: numlock
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:46:40 +0100

how does one set numlock to be on at boot time. i am using debian potato
besides that i would like to know, how one can watch tcp/ip ports under
linux (any programs?)
if anybody can answer any of these questions please do so...thank you in
advance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: kppp / DNS suddenly won't resolve!!
Date: 20 Nov 2000 19:53:44 GMT

I don't know what suddenly happened, but web pages won't load anymore.  I
can log in the same internet connection I've been using all along, but now
the DNS numbers won't resolve or something.  My kppp connection never
required manually putting in the DNS numbers before.  I've tried manually
putting them in, but they still aren't being accepted.  Kppp used to
automatically put the DNS numbers in the /etc/resolv.conf file depending
on which ISP I'd tell it to use, but everything's gone to poop now.  I
tried deleting the /etc/resolv.conf file and putting a new one in with
correct permissions, but no cigar.  I'm using Linux Mandrake 6.0.

Help IS appreciated!

Chip Rose.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest