  Re: ARRG.  Can't even see *one* drive, so won't install -- huh? ("Jason Byrne")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig)
Crossposted-To: redhat.general,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Soundblaster AWE64 Value & Linux
Date: 27 Dec 2000 01:26:24 GMT

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 23:33:11 +0000, Andrew McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Just tried pluging it in to my linux box but it will not configure
>properly, something to do with a '(CONFIGURE.......' line in
>isapnp.conf.

Redhat 6.1? blimey.. old!

Run sndconfig.. should be installed :)

--

Craig

http://www.linux2k.freeserve.co.uk

------------------------------

From: Kuang-chun Cheng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ide geometry
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:00:07 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

        I have two IDE disks (the exactly same disk from Maxtor)
which is IDE master of my both IDE controller:

                        /dev/hda
                        /dev/hdc

        I found the the geometry is different when I look at

                        /proc/ide/ide0/hda
                        /proc/ide/ide0/hdc

        The physical geometry is the same (as I expected) but
the logical one is different.  Why?  And can I ask Linux only
use physical geometry, how?  Or how to setup logical geometry
to physical geometry?

        Thanks

                                                Kuang-Chun Cheng
                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Zip drive in RH 6.2 $@#!?
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:26:54 -0600

I had my scsi Zip working fine in RH 5.4,  but it doesn't work in RH
6.2.  "locate" finds the aha152x modules, but modprobe produces an error
message:  "device or resource busy...".

cat /proc/ioports and cat /proc/interrupts shows the appropriate ports
and interrupt are not used by anything.

I have a Suse distribution on another machine and it uses an rc.config
file with INITRD lines for the aha152x driver.  Apparently Red Hat does
it another way.

Any ideas or where to look next will be greatly appreciated.

Linux reminds me of what von Clauswitz said of war:  "Everything is
simple, but the simplest things are difficult."

John Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing wordperfect
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:49:27 GMT

Download libc-5.3.12-31.i386.rpm and ld.so-1.9.5-13.i386.rpm from the
Redhat 6.2 CD section from a
Redhat mirror and install it, and reinstall your WordPerfect 8.  Your
WordPerfect 8 should now work.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suse6.4 and lpd (must invoke)
Date: 26 Dec 2000 19:52:11 -0700

Anna Luigi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have two printers connected to two
> networked linux boxes.  On one of them
> I notice with disturbing regularity that
> after evoking lpr ... to print to one or
> the other (local or remote) I'm told that
> the daemon can't be started.  So then I
> type 'lpd', and voila the printing starts
> a little later.  This is a headache.  I
> run Yast (Suse6.4) to configure the printer
> and it sets up the directory and all, but
> somehow the printer daemon is never there
> when you need it.  I'm sure there must be
> a problem with the configuration but I'm
> not sure where.

This is actually a common problem with the 'standard' lpd that shipped
with most Linux distributions until this year.  I'd reccomend
upgrading to lprng or some other system (cups appears to be nice, but
I've never used it).

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to install Linux from Fat32 partition?
Date: 26 Dec 2000 19:54:43 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I got turbolinux workstation 6.0 CD from an exhibition few months
> ago. I was trying to install it on my recent bought laptop that doesn't
> has a cdrom drive.
>
> I've dump all the cd contents into my win98 partition. When I was
> trying to into from msdos prompt by typing autoboot from dosutils
> directory, I got an error message: 'Device hda2 does not appear to
> contain a turbolinux installation tree'. How do I resolve this problem?

If turbo linux doesn't support "local" hard disk installs, you're out
of luck.  I imagine that it does, since every Linux distribution that
I've used does (RedHat, Debian, SuSE, Slackware).

Other than that, a network install might work (install an FTP daemon
on your windows box and share the files with it).

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH .0 install to a hard drive
Date: 26 Dec 2000 19:59:18 -0700

"Tom McLoughlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I 've seen two instructions to install RedHat 7 from a hard disk:
>

>     1) Insert disc 1
>     2) mount /mnt/cdrom
>     3) cp -a /mnt/cdrom/RedHat /target/directory
>     4) umount /mnt/cdrom
>     5) Replace disc 1 with disc 2
>     6) mount /mnt/cdrom
>     7) cp -a /mnt/cdrom/RedHat /target/directory
>     8) umount /mnt/cdrom
>

>     1) Insert disc 1
>     2) mount /mnt/cdrom
>     3) cp -var /mnt/cdrom/RedHat /target/directory
>     4) umount /mnt/cdrom
>     5) Replace disc 1 with disc 2
>     6) mount /mnt/cdrom
>     7) cp -var /mnt/cdrom/RedHat /target/directory
>     8) umount /mnt/cdrom
>
> and neither of them works. I get a message that the selected directory does
> not contain an information tree.

I do this all the time, something you may want to double-check is that
you're givning the installer the path

    /target/directory/i386

And not

    /target/directory/i386/RedHat

(you may or may not have the i386 directory, depending on what disks
you're using)

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Permissions xcdroast and cdwriter
Date: 26 Dec 2000 20:05:24 -0700

gary green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My setup: Caldera eDesktop 2.4, KDE 2.0.1, IDE CDWriter and IDE CDROM.
> Everything works just fine. I can burn CD's as Root from both my harddrive
> mnt pts and from the secondary slave CDROM. I'm a novice at Linux and am
> wondering if there is a way to set permissions so I can use this setup as a
> trusted user instead of root?
>
> Or do most folks just use Root as thier login for your home workstations
> and alias things as a user?

If it is a single-user system, then allow everyone to write to the
device:

   chmod a+rw /dev/mydevice

On a multi-user system you may or may not want to lock the device in
such a way that only certain users can write to it (a special group,
for example).

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [SuSE 6.4] 2 questions
Date: 26 Dec 2000 20:17:16 -0700

El Carpa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've put up a small linux SuSE gateway, I have a problem I can't seem to
> solve: when I telnet from a client machine (win2k using CRT version
> 3.1.1 telnet client) and use vi to edit a file, I can add new lines and
> delete them, but I cannot delete existing lines. It won't let me.
> Any suggestions?
> I tried using a different telnet client (token2), but the problem
> persists. I believe it's on the linux side of the system.

Strange.  Have you tried another editor (emacs, pico)?

> The second question is, how do I find out how much free space there is
> left in a partition? The "free" command gives me only info on the swap
> partition and RAM, correct?

df

As a side note:  you can use the 'apropos' command to find out about
other commands:

apropos disk
bdflush              (8)  - kernel daemon to flush dirty buffers back to disk
bdflush [update]     (8)  - kernel daemon to flush dirty buffers back to disk
cfdisk               (8)  - Curses based disk partition table manipulator for Linux
df                   (1)  - report filesystem disk space usage
fd                   (4)  - floppy disk device

 [...]

You can then find out the proper command to use for most anything.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with configuring F-secure SSH version 1.0
Date: 26 Dec 2000 20:19:06 -0700

Hung Ngoc Lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to establish a SSH session from my windows machine
> (win98 Second Edition) by using F-Secure SSH client version 1.0 from
> F-secure to a RedHat Linux server version 6.1 running kernel version
> 2.2.18.  The SSH server running on the linux box is also from
> F-secure (datafellows 2.0.13).  Everything is properly configured on
> the server.  However, I just can NOT connect to the linux box (with
> password authentication).  I can connect to the linux server using
> ssh client from SecureCRT and a trial version of F-secure client
> version 4.3.  In the sshd2_config file on the linux box, I set ssh
> to be compatible with both ssh1 and ssh2.  I kill the ssh daemon and
> restart the process but it does not work.

Check the log files to see what sshd is complaining about.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: X authorization problem
Date: 26 Dec 2000 20:21:18 -0700

Tom Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Recently I installed Storm Linux.  For configuration, it uses the
> program "sas", which works on console and from X.  When I try to run it
> from X, I get the error message:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
>
> This happens both when I started X as a mortal and as root, and from a
> root shell and from an ordinary shell (sas itself requires you to login
> as root anyway).
>
> How can I get the X server to run this program?

It's a (kludgy) security measure.  Try this in a terminal window:

     xhost +localhost

sas must be doing some su(1) related stuff.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unable to install pcmcia-support
Date: 26 Dec 2000 20:24:30 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> hi,
>
> after updating to kernel 2.2.18 (SuSe 7.0) pcmcia
> doesn't work any longer (sony vaio sr1k - cd-rom
> only works with an pcmcia-card <grrr>).
> in the pcmcia-how-to it is written that: rpm -bi
> /usr/src/packages/SPECS/pcmcia.spec should be
> executed.
>
> ... but this is not working:

 [snip]

The 2.2.x kernels don't support pcmcia directly; you'll have to build
the kernel with the pcmcia library from sourceforge.  It will create a
custom kernel that can deal with pcmcia devices along with the pcmcia
daemons that startup at boot time.

The 2.4.x kernels do support pcmcia directly, so this problem should
go away in the very near future (cross your fingers).

From: "Ron Nicholls" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: permission ?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 14:39:07 +1100

I have setup command dialing with pppd
Under root the dial out succeeds, but if I switch to a user
nothing happens, calling "ppp-on" returns to the prompt
with no action.

I thought it might be permission problems so I "chmod u+s"
pppd, ppp-on, ppp-off, ppp-on-dialer, and chat.

What HAVE I missed.

--
-
-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: X11 can't load default font
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 03:47:31 GMT

While playing around with a newly-installed Mandrake 7.2 system, I
somehow managed to hose X; it complains that it cannot load the
default font ("fixed") and then unceremoniously aborts.

I'm assuming, since this isn't Windoze, that it should be possible
to fix this without re-installing the OS. :-)  Anyone happen to know
the necessary mystical incantations?  (Restoring a backup of the
/etc/X11 directory heirarchy from before the failure didn't help.)

Thanks for any help with this, I've worked with Unix systems from the
shell prompt for decades but have little experience with X...

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: What is the command to  . . . ?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew N. McGuire)
Date: 26 Dec 2000 21:46:30 -0600

KD> Josef Moellers wrote:
>>
>> Allen Wong wrote:

>> > This works, but it's alot slower than "find . -type f -name '*.txt' -print |
>> > xargs grep "Hello World".
>>
>> These solutions won't tell where they found the match.
>> Markus' solution can be enhanced to do that:
>> find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" {} \; -print

KD> Grep will tell the filenames if there is more than one file.
KD> If you just want to know the filename and not the actual
KD> lines use grep -l "Hello World".

 find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" /dev/null {} \;

  is the nicest solution...  it gives both on each line, to be
  easily parsed by awk or perl by splitting on ':'.

anm

--
perl -wMstrict -e '
$a=[[qw[J u s t]],[qw[A n o t h e r]],[qw[P e r l]],[qw[H a c k e r]]];$.++

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew N. McGuire)
Date: 26 Dec 2000 21:49:07 -0600

KD> Josef Moellers wrote:

>>> These solutions won't tell where they found the match.
>>> Markus' solution can be enhanced to do that:
>>> find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" {} \; -print

KD> Grep will tell the filenames if there is more than one file.
KD> If you just want to know the filename and not the actual
KD> lines use grep -l "Hello World".

ANM>  find . -name '*.txt' -exec grep "Hello World" /dev/null {} \;

ANM>   is the nicest solution...  it gives both on each line, to be
ANM>   easily parsed by awk or perl by splitting on ':'.

ahem, sorry, of course that can be sped up by using the xargs hack
as well. :-)

anm

From: Moray Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WinMe install from hard disk?
Date: 27 Dec 2000 03:57:32 GMT

I've been trying to install Linux on a new Sony machine (PCG-C1VE, a
Crusoe-based notebook): the problem is first that there's no floppy or
CD-ROM drive, and second that it's pre-installed with Windows Millennium
Edition....

I've tried using loadlin, with the Debian standard and idepci kernels and
disk image sets but anything I've tried has only hung the machine -
flashing cursor at top left, no response to ctrl-alt-del. (To get loadlin
running at all I downloaded dosfixme.exe from
http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_dos_me/, installed its 'fixed'
system files, and rebooted into a more DOS-like state.)

There's already a spare partition on the machine, so presumably I can
somehow get at the worst some sort of DOS installation on there as a
stepping-stone to something better, but I can't seem to do even that
directly due to the Features of WinMe. (Obviously I'd prefer a route
straight to Linux if anyone can suggest one.)

At this point I could do with some advice as to what's upsetting loadlin,
and thus what I should try next - is there some WinMe incompatibility, so
that I should work on finding a way to get something like a Win98 boot
disk onto a partition, or is it more likely to be a hardware conflict of
some sort, which would make that futile? Other people claim to have Linux
running on these things, making me tend toward the former, but if it is
that then I'm surprised I can't find it documented anywhere....

Any help would be much appreciated,

--
Moray

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ARRG.  Can't even see *one* drive, so won't install -- huh?
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:01:29 -0800

"Phil Edwards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:92b6a1$evf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> [note crosspost; followups set]
>

> Okay, it's been about four years since I had to install Linux.  I would
> desperately like this to work.
>
> Brand spanking new Dell computer with an 80-GB drive.  For some reason the
> drive is on the secondary IDE controller.  (Don't ask me, it just showed
> up that way.  I hate hardware and don't fsck with it unless I have to.)
> The CD-ROM is also on the secondary IDE controller (as slave).  There is
> nothing on the first controller.  That's all I've been able to figure out
> from the BIOS.
>
> The drive is in two partitions.  Lose2000 is happily living on the first
> 8 gigs.  The rest of the drive is empty, just begging for Linux.
>

> The only Linux we're allowed to use here at work is Red Hat.  So I pop the
> RH7 CD in and boot.  Something about a drive being correctly detected on
> /dev/hdc flashes by at the speed of light, which is promising, but then
that
> screen goes away and gets replaced by either the GUI or the text
installer,
> depending on expert mode or not.  Switching to the other consoles doesn't
> help because they don't scroll backwards.
>
> I can walk right through the choices until the "what kind of installation
> do you want" screen, and then no matter what I choose (workstation,
server,
> custom), it prints "no valid devices were found on which to create new
> filesystems," and reboots.

hmmm... it's too bad that the install decides to reboot on its own ;-)

RedHat 'quirks' (polite version) aside... my guess is that you're already
passed the magical 1023 cylinder limit on your hard-drive with your Windows
installation... so you don't have a suitable place to begin your Linux
install.  Also... I believe you are limited to booting from the first two
physical drives on the primary IDE controller... but this *might* also
depend on your hardware (I don't remember exactly)

Unfortunately... I don't have any RedHat-specific tips to help resolve your
situation.

 You would probably do better taking a look at things with a better
partitioning tool (cfdisk or fdisk... for example) - and check out 'fips' or
something similar to help shrink the existing Windows partition.

I've had a few friends insist they were under (approximately) 8g on their
drives... hopeful for a future Linux install - and on closer examination...
they are actually over the 1023 cylinder limit... and still need to shrink
the Windows partition a bit to help the Linux install.

If I'm right about first two hard-drives on the primary IDE controller
(/dev/hda or /dev/hdb) - you might need to move your hard-drive from
/dev/hdc -> /dev/hda or /dev/hdb anyway.

I usually take the following approach on a 'very large' hard-drive for
multi-boots... given the opportunity to start from scratch -

Create a 'system' partition large enough to allow for any future bloat...
and don't *plan* to install 'applications' to this drive unless you
absolutely can't avoid it.  If you really don't want to mess with this
again... be generous... especially since the hard-drive is *huge* - I
usually create about a 2g partition and never have to worry about it again.

Next... you essentially install Linux to the *middle* of the drive - making
sure that your put /boot on a primary partition.

Warning... most (standard - fdisk, etc...) Windows partitioning tools are
brain-dead - and it's a good idea to create the (fat32?) partition you want
for Windows applications during the Linux install... if you have an
intelligent partitioning tool.

For example...

/dev/hda1 -> Windows 'system' partition ~ 2g
/dev/hda2 -> /boot (well below cylinder 1023)
/dev/hda5 -> Linux swap
/dev/hda6 -> /
/dev/hda7 -> fat32 partition for Windows

partitions 1-4 are primary, 5 and up are logical

The basic tip for setting up n-way multi-boot machines is to use primary
partitions wisely... and keep 'system' partitions below the 1023 cylinder
boundary... since this is a limitation for many OS'

You'll probably find similar tips if you do a search for multi-boot FAQ's,
LILO, or related topics...

- Jason

> If somebody can offer hints as to what it's blowing its little brains out
> on, I'd appreciate it.
>

> Phil

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest