From: "Brian Morrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Kernels on RH 7.0?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:36:25 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 18:39:32 +1300, Steve Withers wrote:

>I want to upgrade my kernel from 2.2.16-22 kernel provided by RH 7.0 to
>the new, stable,  2.2.18 in order to fix an annoying problem with access
>to data CDs from within a VMware windows environement......about half
>the time it treats them like audio CDs.
>
>I have heard that RH 7.0 uses later gcc C++ libraries than the kernel
>(2.96-? vs 2.72...or something ilke that) was designed to be compiled
>on..........and the linuxhq.com web site asks for feedback on people's
>experiences, acknowledging many distributions now have later versions of
>the development environment. .

There are some glibc updates and also some gcc updates for the 2.96
version that RH use. Alternatively, you can edit the makefile to ensure
that kgcc (egcs 1.1.2, aka gcc 2.91.66) is used.

I think that when I looked at the makefile for 2.2.18 it seemed to have
a conditional bit of shell script that calls kgcc if running on RH, but
you can make sure it does this by changing the CC = ($CROSS_COMPILE)gcc
to read CC = ($CROSS_COMPILE)kgcc

I've done this from memory, still haven't got my RH7 box fully up and
running so I can't guarantee I'm right. I expect someone else will
correct me if I have screwed it up.

--
Brian Morrison                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               to reply, change address from 'news' to 'bdm'

------------------------------

From: Jason Courville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel compiling errors
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 00:31:21 -0600

Works great!! Thanks. Where would I have found that information?

Jason

------------------------------

From: Steve Balchin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: creating "/etc" directory...
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 19:52:34 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello all,
>     I have been building a _small_ distribution of linux for quite some
> time now, and it is now time to build the /etc directory.  Does anyone
> know of a good resource of information for doing such a thing?  The
> information should cover setting up networking, etc.  Is there such a
> thing?  Any help is, as always, GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks in advance!
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

maybe this is what you are looking for

http://www.slackware.com/book/
just a thought

------------------------------

From: Linux User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 23:37:14 -0800

Hello,

You must have used the command line option because I included the wrong fix
for the Makefile, which should read change this line:

CC              = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc

to this:

CC              = $(CROSS_COMPILE)kgcc

Another good reason to proofread what you write. This workaround is on
Redhat's website.

Regards,
        Jim H

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: partionless installation? (newbie question)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 08:42:16 +0100

mpulliam wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:23:51 -0600, LadyHawke
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I finally got my copy of RH 7 box from
> UPS, and note that it is possible to
> >do a partionless installation of
> RH 7 from the documention.  The
> >instructions say that this is a good
> choice for a newcomer to Linux, is this
> >in fact the truth?

I dislike the idea.
The linux partition becomes a file in the windows FS
This doesn't sound right to me. It will give overhead
and the risk that windows destroys your linux install

> I have had no problems with a partitionless
> install. Actually, you will end up with at
> least two Linux partitions (one swap) in this method.
> Red Hat will figure them out for you.
>
> Purists say you should have more partitions so you
> can update one part of your Linux without
> destroying other parts (like, you could go from RH 7
> to 7.4 sometime in the future without wiping
> out your email records).

Pointless arguments with partitionless install.
If you just want to try linux, and are thinking of not using
all to often, you can do this. If you want to use linux
seriously, give it its own partition.

> I don't care, I install new Linuxes all the
> time and just wipe everything out with no
> regrets. How do you feel about it?
>
> You will need separate partitions for Linux
> and for Windows if you keep them on the same
> hard drive.

Not if you do a partitionless install

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: mounting floppy
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 08:45:25 +0100

Hung P. Tran wrote:

> I have a standard installation (using typical installation)
> of Redhat Linux 6.1. I am having problem mounting floppy
> drive. I tried:
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy <RETURN>
>
> and get the error: the kernel does NOT recognize /dev/fd0 as
> a block device (may be 'insmod driver' ?)
>
> Any idea ? It seems like the regular Redhat installation does
> NOT include the floppy driver.

ls -l /dev/fd0

should return:

brw-rw----    1 root     floppy     2,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/fd0

Pay specific attention to the 'b' the line starts with and the major and
minor numbers. If this differs, become root and run:

 `cd /dev && rm -f fd0 && ./MAKEDEV fd0`

Eric

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Questions Printers File System Mounts
Date: 04 Jan 2001 00:59:45 -0700

Steven Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Been at this a week.  Been FUN! Haven't booted into windows since.
> Two current puzzlers.
> 1) I have a printer (HP Laser Jet) shared on a
> roomates win2k box (with Unix print services installed)  I would like
> to make this the default printer availiable from pine and from X
> applications like netscape. I also have samba installed on my debian
> install.  I've been trying to figure out how to map this printer for 3
> days now and have as yet been unsucessful.

That depends on your disribution's print spooler; most of them have
GUI tools that let you setup the printer.   In this case you want a
remote lpd (or lpr) printer; put in the IP address of the other
machine and the name that was given to the printer.

> 2)How to make persistant a mount of a share on that same windows box.
> I can do the mount through the command line, but if I   restart the
> linux system that mount goes away and I have to redo it each time.

Edit /etc/fstab and add a new line.

> Any assistance would be appreciated.  (Please reply to group and to me
> privatly.  I'm still working my way through over 4k messages in the 8
> linux groups I am trying to  catchup in and might not be able to revisit
> this one for a few days.)

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ownership issues
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 08:06:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "bri"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I accidentally changed the ownership of all of my files so that they
> were owned by a user. I am using RedHat7.   Now, of course, I need to
> correct the ownership of they entire system.  Where can I find the
> correct ownership.  I tried changing everything but the two user
> directories to root, but I find I'm unable to su from that user, or
> shutdown the machine as that user, only as root.
>
> Please post responses to newsgroup or send them to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Of course this is risky, but you could reinstall all the rpm's on your
system.

mount /mnt/cdrom
for foo in `rpm -qa`
do
  rpm -Uvh --force "/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/$foo*"
done
umont /mnt/cdrom

(the single quotes in the for command are backquotes)

- Dan white

------------------------------

From: Stefan Goetzinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Logout Problem
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 08:47:15 GMT

Ray Lassiter wrote:

> I'm not sure why this happens but when I logout of KDE I would like to be
> returned to the console command line. However, when I logout X shuts off
> my monitor. Not sure why. I am running KDE 2 and XFree4.1. Does anyone
> have any clue?
>
> Ray

I had the same problem; play around with the colour depth until it works,
it worked for me.

Stefan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Subject: HELP!: Abit KT-7 RAID & Mandrake 7.2 problems!!!
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 08:54:31 GMT

I'm having difficulty with my new Abit KT-7 RAID machine and Linux
Mandrake 7.2.
I had it working fine, but then I decided to throw a bunch of new
hardware on it.

Now, the machine completely freezes up and I must reset it or power
cycle it.
I suspect that the problem may lie with the HPT ATA-100 RAID controller.

OS and config that stayed the same before and after adding in new
hardware:
Linux Mandrake 7.2, stock install.
Antec SOHO file server case, 300W power supply (sweet case BTW)
 Abit KT-7 RAID
Thunderbird 900
768M PC-100 RAM,
Asus V7700 Deluxe Geforce 2 GTS
Pioneer DVD-303 SCSI DVD,
Yamaha 16x10x40 CDRW  (secondary master, hdc),
Adaptec 3940UW,
Intel EtherExpress Pro 100

Config before, when it worked fine:
IBM 13G 7200 RPM, primary master (hda)   (/boot ext2,  / ReiserFS)
Yamaha CDRW (hdc),
Aureal sound card (didn't have it working yet),

After throwing some new hardware in, I'm having problems.  The machine
locks up completely and I have to reset.  Seems to be when I'm doing
disk access on disks on the HPT ATA controller.

PROBLEM config:
Maxtor 30 gig, 7200RPM on HPT primary master,  (hde) hde1 30G ReiserFS
Western Digital 30 gig, on HPT primary slave,  (hdf) hdf1 30G ReiserFS
Adaptec 39160  + 2 SCSI disks  (RAID0 striped) md0 36G ReiserFS
Creative SB Live audio card   (replacing the Aureal.  Should I stick
with the Aureal?)
Hauppage  BTTV  TV tuner / capture card (PCI)

All of this hardware was working fine in other machines.
I've tried a number of experiments to try to isolate the problem and it
does not seem to be the memory or the Adaptec 39160 card.

I suspect that the problem lies with the HPT ATA-100 RAID controller.
I'd like to have this machine useable with all of the hardware that I've
mentioned.

Known problem?
Fixes?
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
-Ralph
rpseguin AT yahoo DOT com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Philip Lijnzaad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: thanks [ was Re: Linux finds only 64 of my 98 Mbytes of memory ... ]
Date: 04 Jan 2001 09:10:24 +0000

Thanks, all that helped. I suppose I should have read the manuals (which ones
?-) better. Point is, I originally had 32 M, then added 64. My linux
automatically detected more, but not all of this (total was now 64 rather
than 96). It makes less obvious, kind of (but then again, I didn't RTFM)
Thanks again,

                                                                      Philip
--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade. (Kenneth C. Dyke)
Philip Lijnzaad, [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ European Bioinformatics Institute,rm A2-08

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux,alt.comp.mainboards.abit
Subject: Re: HELP!: Abit KT-7 RAID & Mandrake 7.2 problems!!!
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:18:54 GMT

> I'm having difficulty with my new Abit KT-7 RAID machine and Linux
> I had it working fine, but then I decided to throw a bunch of new
> hardware on it.
>
> Now, the machine completely freezes up and I must reset it or power
> cycle it.
> I suspect that the problem may lie with the HPT ATA-100 RAID

Sorry for the length of this posting.
You can see in the output below that the kernel (2.2.17-21mdk) is
recognizing the HPT-370 controller.
The filesystems (ReiserFS) seem to mount ok, but I can't seem to do lots
of write I/O on the disks (it locks up).

Here's dmesg output from the problematic setup:
music:~ % dmesg
Linux version 2.2.17-21mdk ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease)) #1 Thu Oct 5 13:16:08 CEST 2000
Detected 900068 kHz processor.
ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
ide_setup: ide1=autotune
ide_setup: ide0=autotune
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 1795.69 BogoMIPS
Memory: 774948k/786368k available (1136k kernel code, 416k reserved,
8240k data, 128k init, 0k bigmem)
Dentry hash table entries: 131072 (order 8, 1024k)
Buffer cache hash table entries: 524288 (order 9, 2048k)
Page cache hash table entries: 262144 (order 8, 1024k)
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K  L1 D Cache: 64K
CPU: L2 Cache: 256K
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor stepping 02
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
mtrr: v1.35a (19990819) Richard Gooch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb430, last bus=2
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
TCP: Hash tables configured (ehash 524288 bhash 65536)
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xf0009000, size 32768k
vesafb: mode is 1280x1024x16, linelength=2560, pages=0
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:0a15
vesafb: scrolling: redraw
vesafb: directcolor: size=0:5:6:5, shift=0:11:5:0
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x64
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.13)
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.30
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
VP_IDE: chipset revision 16
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
Split FIFO Configuration:  8 Primary buffers, threshold = 1/2
                           8 Second. buffers, threshold = 1/2
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb400-0xb407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
ide0: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb408-0xb40f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
ide1: VIA Bus-Master (U)DMA Timing Config Success
HPT370: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 98
HPT370: chipset revision 3
HPT370: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xc800-0xc807, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:DMA
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xc808-0xc80f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hda: IBM-DJNA-371350, ATA DISK drive
hdc: YAMAHA CRW2100E, ATAPI CDROM drive
hde: Maxtor 53073H6, ATA DISK drive
hdf: WDC WD307AA-00BAA0, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide2 at 0xb800-0xb807,0xbc02 on irq 5
hda: IBM-DJNA-371350, 12949MB w/1966kB Cache, CHS=1650/255/63
hde: Maxtor 53073H6, 29311MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=59554/16/63, UDMA(100)
hdf: WDC WD307AA-00BAA0, 29333MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=59598/16/63,
UDMA(66)
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
raid5: measuring checksumming speed
raid5: MMX detected, trying high-speed MMX checksum routines
   pII_mmx   :  2089.785 MB/sec
   p5_mmx    :  2622.804 MB/sec
   8regs     :  1210.056 MB/sec
   32regs    :  1069.086 MB/sec
using fastest function: p5_mmx (2622.804 MB/sec)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 < hda5 hda6 hda7 >
 hde: hde1
 hdf: hdf1
RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 1500 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 2/4/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel A, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Int-68 NO, Ext-68 NO)
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 422 instructions downloaded
(scsi1) <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 2/5/0
(scsi1) Wide Channel B, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
(scsi1) Cables present (Int-50 NO, Int-68 YES, Ext-68 NO)
(scsi1) Downloading sequencer code... 422 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi1 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AHA-394X Ultra SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 2 hosts.
(scsi1:0:4:0) Synchronous at 10.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
  Vendor: PIONEER   Model: DVD-ROM DVD-303   Rev: 1.09
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.11
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
Invalid session number or type of track
Checking ReiserFS transaction log (device 03:07) ...
Warning, log recovery starting on readonly filesystem
Replayed 1 transactions in 5 seconds
Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS core development sponsored by SuSE Labs (suse.com). Journaling
sponsored by MP3.com
ReiserFS version 3.5.26
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
change_root: old root has d_count=1
Trying to unmount old root ... okay
Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed
Adding Swap: 256968k swap-space (priority -1)
scsi2 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 3 hosts.
  Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW2100E          Rev: 1.0D
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Checking ReiserFS transaction log (device 21:01) ...
Replayed 1 transactions in 2 seconds
Using tea hash to sort names
ReiserFS version 3.5.26
Checking ReiserFS transaction log (device 21:41) ...
Using tea hash to sort names
ReiserFS version 3.5.26
eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html
eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.20.2.10 $ 2000/05/31 Modified by Andrey V.
Savochkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and others
eth0: Intel PCI EtherExpress Pro100 82557, 00:A0:C9:22:D9:35, I/O at
0xb000, IRQ 5.
  Board assembly 352509-003, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip DP83840 PHY #1.
  DP83840 specific setup, setting register 23 to 8462.
  General self-test: passed.
  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
  Internal registers self-test: passed.
  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x49caa8d6).
  Receiver lock-up workaround activated.
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.232 $ time 13:21:03 Oct  5 2000
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xa000, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xa400, IRQ 10
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]
parport_probe: failed
parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Apache listening on two ports
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:15:58 GMT

Dear all,

I need to configure Apache to listen on two ports. One is the official HTTP
port (default == 80) and the second is for testing purposes (for example:
9090).

I took a look at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/examples.html, commented
out the 'Port 80' and added:

---
Listen 80
Listen 9090
ServerName intranet
DocumentRoot "/home/httpd/html/"
<VirtualHost intranet:9090>
        DocumentRoot "/home/httpd/html/test-site"
</VirtualHost>
---

/home/httpd/html/test-site does exist and has a different index.html file but
I keep getting the same index under /http/httpd/html when pointing to port
9090...

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong now? Maybe I'm overseeing something
obvious... :-/

Please email and/or CC me your replies as I cannot check the newsgroups that
often. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Martin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Sendmail & Masquerade_envelope
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:31:53 -0000

That is strange. I'm not comfortable enough with the configuration files to
offer a solution for this off the top of my head. On my system sendmail
works fine, but then I don't have a false domain associated with my machine,
its just localhost.localdomain. I don't know why faking a domain name would
make a difference if its only used internally, but maybe its causing
confusion somewhere.

Sorry, can't help much here.

Adam

Seby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> it's the same... it doesn't work  :(
> I also put out the  FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl option..... i don't know
> what to think......
>

> "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:Jqj26.62910$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I think any email address that is fully qualified will probably be
> changed.
> > You don't need the full address to send within the network. Try sending
> mail
> > addressed to "user1" or whatever, without the @ etc.
> >
> > I'm really guessing here but I think the only way for sendmail to tell
if
> it
> > is supposed to change the addresses (ie send mail to an external
mailbox)
> is
> > if the email address is fully qualified (because if it was an internal
> email
> > you wouldn't need a fully qualified address).
> >
> > Adam
> >
> > Seby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:Aji06.116311$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Hi there,
> > > i have a problem with sendmail. I have my local network with a "not
> real"
> > > domain ... called palla.it, and an "real" email address like
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Well, i want that the users of the local network can exchange emails
> > seeing
> > > the not real domain ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) but.. when an user sends
an
> > > email out of the local area ... the server must be change the sender
> > address
> > > in [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >
> > > I followed strictly the Sendmail address rewriting howto, IT WORK! but
,
> > > linux change also the address of the emails delivered locally, if
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ( local users ) ..
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] see the email as sended by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > WHY??? in the howto is specified that will be changed only the
outgoing
> > > mail.... the mails sended to the smarthost.
> > >
> > > Please help me.... ;-)
> > >
> > > My .mc file...
> > >
> > > *************************************************************
> > > include(`/usr/src/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')
> > > VERSIONID(`linux for smtp-only setup')dnl
> > > OSTYPE(linux)
> > > define(`ALIAS_FILE',`/etc/mail/aliases')
> > > FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
> > > FEATURE(genericstable,`hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable')
> > > GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE(`/etc/mail/genericsdomain')
> > > define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.tin.it')
> > > FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl
> > > MAILER(local)dnl
> > > MAILER(smtp)dnl
> > >
> > > PS: i use SLACKWARE 7.0
> > >

> > > Thank you in advance .....
> > >
> > > Seby.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest