  Re: Partition problems RedHat7.0/WinME on Compaq Presario 1700t (E J)

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Help ! Router firewall with only one NIC
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:11:56 GMT

John Doe wrote:

>  Some variation of the following may work.
>
>  If the private network addresses hit your ISP router, they may become
> unhappy.

They should have their routers configured to send those
addresses to the bit bucket.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
ignored.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith Dombrowski)
Subject: Helix Gnome hangs on install
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:27:44 GMT

I'm hopeing someone can help me with this.  I've got two boxes, both
running Red Hat 7 and using the version of Gnome that came with it. I
want to install Helix-Gnome 1.2. I've downloaded all of the packages,
the installer and the *.XML files from the mirror at sourceforge and
put them in /tmp/helix. I'm logged in at root and I run the installer
from a terminal window in the /tmp/helix dir. The GUI installer starts
and lets me specify the location of the files and what I want to
install. It then brings up a screen with two progress bars and the
line "Preparing to install..." In the terminal window I get about 12
lines that look like they might be from RPM. They all say "Package
XXXXXXx not installed", with different package names. There is some HD
activity for about 5 minutes and then it stops there. Nothing more
ever happens. I let it sit for 4 hours. The packages listed are not on
the RH CDs, nor are they in the mirror for helix. This happens on both
boxes. Anyone have any idea what's happening here?

Keith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Master Boot Record Problem?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:30:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I installed Corel Linux on D drive into a partition set aside for that
>purpose.  However, it seems Linux wants to take over the boot process and
>always boot to D drive, which was ok when I still had Corel Linux
>installed.  But, now I have uninstalled Linux and attempted to wipe out
>the created partitions for it on D drive.  Although Linux is no longer on
>D drive and the partitions for it have seemingly been erased, without the
>use of a boot manager (Boot Magic), the computer will still seems to want
>to boot to D drive where I get a black screen with (I believe) a "Li"
>or "lilo" or at least something at the very top.  Of course, nothing is
>going to happen because there is nothing or very nearly nothing there to
>open.  Some part of a partition may still exist on D drive that may
>contain some little bit of info or maybe not but I do have to assume that
>if I can get my Master Boot Record to simply go back to choosing C drive
>as the bootable drive, then I can uninstall the boot manager and let the
>friendly people at Partition Magic fix D drive so that all the last
>vestiges of Linux are removed.  My question is not one about D drive but
>how I can get the computer to simply boot to C drive as it did before I
>installed Linux.  Somebody smart - please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Usually you can boot a Win95/98 rescue floppy if running one of those and
simply type:  fdisk /mbr

Maybe that also works for WinMe, but I wouldn't know how to do it for NT
or Win2K (another post asked about that).

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: "Robert B. Gamble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB Keyboard, 3Com Network Card and the new 2.4.0 kernel.
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:37:27 GMT

"S. G. Student" wrote:

> "Robert B. Gamble" wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to upgrade the kernel on my Redhat Linux 7.0 system. I am
> > having trouble getting it to work because I have not found a way to
> > simply upgrade it while keeping all the same settings currently setup
> > with 2.2.16-20.
> >
> > Is there a way to use the make config and have it default to all the
> > current setting of my running kernel? The two problems I am having are
> > with my USB keyboard and my 3Com network card.
> >
> > Both work fine with my current kernel, but when I compile the new
> > kernel, I cant seem to find the magic setting to keep them working.
> > Without either (USB Keyboard, or 3Com network card) I have no way of
> > shutting down aside from the power switch.
> >
> > Please provide instructions as to how to solve stated problems. Thank
> > you,
> >
> > --
> >     Robert B. Gamble
> >     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> if you saved your old .config copy it to the source tree and then do a
> make oldconfig.  This will present you with only the new choices for the
> new kernel.  The sourceforge site points to some pretty good usb
> documentation.

I was trying to do that, however, the RedHat 7.0 install did not seem to
leave any trace of the .config file. Is that because the Kernel is pre
compiled with the RedHat 7.0 software?

Thanks,
--
    Robert B. Gamble
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Help me to get rid of LILO completely without deleting all
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:15:13 -0600

Lennart wrote:

> I tried to install Suse 6.2 on my AThlon TB but it failed. Now I'm stuck
> with LI when I boot. I want to completely uninstall LILO but this seems
> impossible. I tried FDISK /MBR, SYS C:, and tried the Win2000 recovery
> console but the problem keeps returning. The strange thing is that
> sometimes my pc boots normally (into win98/2k with NO trace of LILO), and
> then the next time it hangs at LI again.

I don't know what your problem is, but it doesn't seem likely it has
anything to do with your Linux partitions.  There is something messed
up about your master boot record or your BIOS, but I have no idea
what.   Or you may be using some other boot loader you didn't mention
since you have both Win 98 and Win 2000.   You have to straighten
that out.   You may even have to reinstall one or the other or
both.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Very New to Linux
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:45:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 05:05:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ok what i want to do is very simple i bet but i cannot figure it out
>for the life of me, Im running Redhat 6.2
>
>I have a compaq deskpro 6000
>1 IDE and 1 SCSI drive
>A built in Netflex NIC and a 3com NIC
>A matrox Millenium video card 4MB
>
>What i want to do is the following
>
>I want to know how to change video resolution?
>change it from 800x600 to 1024x768 i cang figure it out

Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config in Section "Screen" for Driver "accel" (or fbdev
if using frame buffer) and change it.  Since I only have 2 MB video RAM I
set DefaultColorDepth 16 and following resolutions (switch using
Ctrl-Alt-keypadplus if you need to magnify something):

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

>also where are the network card settings so i can see if the cards are
>there?

If you are running kudzu and it found them, it will usually list the
modules they need in /etc/conf.modules.  Then all you need to do is run
linuxconf (or netcfg in X) to set them up (IP etc.).  See the
Ethernet-HOWTO.

From: dm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where can I find libqt-mt?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 12:46:38 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>  Anyone know what I need to install to get
> this library?

Never mind, I found it: libqt2.

------------------------------

From: "/dev/null" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.suse,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Help me to get rid of LILO completely without deleting all partitions
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:45:57 -0000

Boot from a DOS boot disk,
fdisk /mbr
reboot with same disk and start PQMAGIC..
make sure you have your windows partition set active (can also be done with
fdisk)

--

Andy

Host/Webmaster to http://www.pal.mine.nu
PAL - Public Access Linux Project

Just starting the madh0use.net project... should be fun!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: X windows problems
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:40:12 GMT

I mistakenly forced an RPM install of a shared library, while trying to
install licq.

What resulted is a somewhat crippled system.

Non-GUI functions are normal.

Examples of GUI failures are as follows:

1) Load kppp, but do not establish a modem connection.  OtherGUI
applications can be loaded and run.  Establish a ppp connection, and no
additional applications will start.  When an attempt is made to start
Netscape, the disk chatters a bit, then nothing.  Disconnect the modem
connection and programs load as usual.

2) When Netscape attempts to start a plugin, the folling can occur:
    For a PDF document, a box titled "Netscape subprocess diagnostics"
    appears.  Contents are:
      Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
      Error: Can't open display: :0.0
      Acrobat plugin. Could not launch Acrobat

              <OK>

    Followed by this:
      Netscape Error
      Could not load the plug-in 'nppdf.so" for the MIME type
          'application/pdf'
      Make sure enough memory is available and that the plug-in is
           installed correctly.

              <OK>

      For a RealPlayer 7 file

         Netscape: subprocess diagnostic (stdout/stderr)
          Xlib: Connection to ":0.0" refused by server
          Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
          Failed to open your X display.  Please try setting your
             DISPLAY environment
          variable and try again

                <OK>

I have attempted to reload multiple RPMs.  I have tried to compare
installed RPMs with those on distribution CD.

This is obviously something simple.  But, I do not know where to look or
what to look for.

System is Red Hat 6.2, with 96M of RAM

Can anybody offer me any suggestions?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: SeB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba + ipmasquerading
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:11:26 +0000

Thank you
I understand that if I don't want it to work as a login authentification
server, the following rules will work :

> # Global parameters
> [global]
>  workgroup = STARSHIP
>  netbios name = ENTERPRISE
>  server string = Samba Server on Enterprise
>  interfaces = 172.16.0.1 127.0.0.1
>  encrypt passwords = Yes
>  max log size = 50
>  load printers = No
>  logon path =
>  logon home =
>  preferred master = Yes
>  domain master = Yes
>  wins support = Yes
>  remote announce = 172.16.255.255/WORKGROUP
>  guest ok = Yes
>  printing = lprng
>  mangling char =
>
> To enable masquarading, use the following rules :-
>
> ipchains -P input ALLOW
> ipchains -P output ALLOW
> ipchains -P forward DENY
> ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
>
> now you need to enable forwarding in the kernel with the following command
> :-
>
>   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> This will get things working, but is insecure as it lets everything in and
> out.  You should now read through the firewall howto available on
> www.linuxdocs.org.

I don't mind since it's more secure than by default

------------------------------

From: Andrei Pushkarev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Partition problems RedHat7.0/WinME on Compaq Presario 1700t
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:07:31 GMT

Can someone please help to resolve partitioning problems on Compaq
Presario 1700T.

Here is my system information:

PIII 850Mhz
20 Gb HD
256 Mb RAM
Phoenix Bios 4.0  Release 6.0.8  03-00
System BIOS revision 9/12/2000  0F03

I am installing RedHat 7.0 using "expert" mode . The following  I get
from fdisk:

Disk /tmp/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2584 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

Device       Boot    Start       End       Blocks       Id   System
/tmp/hda1        *    1250     2197    7166848+      c   Win95 FAT32
(LBA)
/tmp/hda2                    1           2        15088+    83   Linux
/tmp/hda3              2198     2584    2925720        c   Win95 FAT32
(LBA)
/tmp/hda4                    3     1021    7703640        5   Extended
/tmp/hda5                    3       951    7174408+    83   Linux
/tmp/hda6                952     1021      529168+    82   Linux swap

The boot partition is on /tmp/hda2 and is under 1024 cyl. limit.

Next I am installing LILO on /dev/hda MBR, no linear mode, no kernel
parameters, default boot  image is on /dev/hda5

After installing the system, I see in the text mode:

Fatal:   cylinder number is too big        geo_comp_addr  (1249>1023)
Device 0x0301 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit

Attempt to reload computer loads WinME, but with frozen screen and
without some buttons.

 Thanks, Andrei

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE CD-RW vs ATAPI Zip drive
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:10:06 +0100

John Foster wrote:

> The Zip is hdb, and the CD-RW is hdd. In lilo.conf under the Linux image
> I have:
>         append="hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
> and yes, I did run /sbin/lilo afterwards.
> In conf.modules I have added:
>         alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
> In /etc/rc.d/rc.local I have added
>          /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi

If you load a driver as module, you have to give the parameters either
in the modprobe/insmod commandline or in modules.conf.
Giving the parameters as append-line in lilo.conf or at the kernel
bootprompt will only work, if you compile the driver code hard into the
kernel.

--
Markus Kossmann
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ben Bergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: scsi emulation problem...
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 12:15:39 -0700

I am trying to set up scsi emulation on my dell inspiron 5000e with a
SONY CD-RW CRX700E.  I have compiled in emulation support, scsi support,
and scsi generic support.  I am running redhat 7.0 with kernel 2.2.18.
In my lilo.conf I tell linux to ignore my cdrom as an ide device:
append="hdc=ide-scsi".  I have moved the cdrom link from /dev/hdc to
/dev/scd0.  When I run cdrecord -scanbus I get,

{root@taiga}->cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.39
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW  CRX700E  ' '1.4h' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

which seems fine.  However, I am unable to mount the cdrom drive.  When
I try I get,

{root@taiga}->mount /cdrom
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

Am I missing a module?  Or have I forgotten something.  By the way, the
cdrom works fine if I treat it as an ide drive.

------------------------------

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: scsi emulation problem...
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 19:26:08 +0100

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Ben Bergen wrote:

> {root@taiga}->mount /cdrom
> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
>        (maybe `insmod driver'?)

Your /dev/cdrom is probably set up wrong. It must pooint to the
appropriate scsi-cdrom - probably /dev/scd0.

Or you will have to edit your /etc/fstab to use /dev/scd0 (or whatever)
instead of /dev/cdrom.

Rasmus Bøg Hansen

------------------------------

From: Tom Pfeifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is 3 OSs possible?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:36:13 GMT

It would also help to get an idea of what Lilo is all about. Lilo is the
boot loader that comes with Linux. There is an introductory HOWTO
document here:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html

For more detailed information, the Lilo manual can be found in your
documentation directory, which is probably either /usr/doc/lilo or
/usr/share/doc/lilo.

Tom

------------------------------

From: drumvudu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "make" command
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:43:49 GMT

Marcus, thanks for the help, I managedto get it fixed..

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Markus Kossmann wrote:

> drumvudu wrote:
> >
> > can anyone make heads or tails of this.. I had to do a reinstall cause I
> > fried my ide drive last week, I run suse 7.0, and never had a problem with
> > running "make, or make install". Now when I try to run make I get the
> > following:
> >
> > drumvudu@pchservices:~/tree-1.2 > make gcc -O2
> > -fomit-frame-pointer    -c -o tree.o tree.c In file included from
> > /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:126,                  from
> > /usr/include/dirent.h:206,                  from
> > /usr/include/sys/dir.h:24,                  from
> > tree.c:14: /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:27: linux/limits.h: No such file
> > or directory tree.c:18: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
> > make: *** [tree.o] Error 1
> >
> Either install the linclude (kernel includes) or the lx_suse (full
> kernel sources) rpm

 "Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and
 plain dealing"...Ralph Waldo Emerson

 "It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few
 stupid ideas"...George Santayana

 Confucious say "If you play in root,
 eventually you will kill tree"...anonymous

 SuSE 7.0 2.2.16
 Linux: t h e   c h o i c e   o f  a
 G N U   g e n e r a t i o n  . . .

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:54:04 GMT

My problem is with the disk overlay (EZ-BIOS) on my harddisk because Compaq won't
update my bios to let Windoze understand harddisk bigger than 8G.

Correct your WinMe so it boot up properly.
boot with your Windows startup disk.
a:> fdisk /mbr
Make sure that WinMe is fully functional.

Reinstall RH7.0 (in my case under EZ-BIOS)
Assign linux /boot to /dev/hda2
Assign linux / to /dev/hda5
Assign linux swap to /dev/hda6

Apply lilo to your boot partition /boot ( /dev/hda2) and not to the windows
partition (/dev/hda1)

After RH7.0 has been installed and lilo has been transferred to your /boot
partition and your floppy, reboot.
WinMe should always come up.
Boot with a linux floppy.  (In my case, I have to boot the floppy under EZ-BIOS)
If WinME boots up properly and Redhat boots up properly under floppy,
now use the Windows start up disk and execute fdisk
Make the /boot partition active and make the WinMe partition inactive.
Hopefully lilo will come up properly.

Andrei Pushkarev wrote:

> Can someone please help to resolve partitioning problems on Compaq
> Presario 1700T.
>
> Here is my system information:

> PIII 850Mhz
> 20 Gb HD
> 256 Mb RAM
> Phoenix Bios 4.0  Release 6.0.8  03-00
> System BIOS revision 9/12/2000  0F03
>
> I am installing RedHat 7.0 using "expert" mode . The following  I get
> from fdisk:

> Disk /tmp/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2584 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes
>
> Device       Boot    Start       End       Blocks       Id   System
> /tmp/hda1        *    1250     2197    7166848+      c   Win95 FAT32
> (LBA)
> /tmp/hda2                    1           2        15088+    83   Linux
> /tmp/hda3              2198     2584    2925720        c   Win95 FAT32
> (LBA)
> /tmp/hda4                    3     1021    7703640        5   Extended
> /tmp/hda5                    3       951    7174408+    83   Linux
> /tmp/hda6                952     1021      529168+    82   Linux swap
>
> The boot partition is on /tmp/hda2 and is under 1024 cyl. limit.
>
> Next I am installing LILO on /dev/hda MBR, no linear mode, no kernel
> parameters, default boot  image is on /dev/hda5
>
> After installing the system, I see in the text mode:

> Fatal:   cylinder number is too big        geo_comp_addr  (1249>1023)
> Device 0x0301 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit
>
> Attempt to reload computer loads WinME, but with frozen screen and
> without some buttons.
>
>  Thanks, Andrei

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest