Linux-Setup Digest #428, Volume #20              Mon, 15 Jan 01 16:13:14 EST

Contents:
  Re: AHA-1542c ("H.A.J. van Niekerk")
  Networking question... (Adam Balgach)
  Re: Problems getting LILO to work after install.... (Adam Balgach)
  Re: Setup Question:  I want to know the best way to setup an SMTP spooler for
Exchange ("John Clark")
  Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 128 PCI 16 MB card solution ("Tommy")
  Term emulator with *real* keypad emulation? (Roger Blake)
  Re: no joysticks in kernel 2.4.0 (ken pile)
  Screen Saver ("Les B. Labbauf")
  Re: IDE CD-RW vs ATAPI Zip drive (John Foster)
  new on SJC ("Jurgen Roels")
  What starts Configure Desktop in KDE? How to Restore Control Center? (Jason Bond)
  Usb Modem and RH7 (Maxxe)
  HELP: RH7 & Setting up a printer WITHOUT control-panel (Donald Brady)
  ATI Rage Fury Pro, RH6.2, XFree 4.0.2. Can't get X working!!! (".... ........")
  Red Hat7 Custom Installation (Srinivasa R Kamabathula)
  Re: Red Hat7 Custom Installation (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?=)
  Re: Networking question... (Scott Nolde)
  Re: nfs problem.. permission denied? (Lorne Gutz)
  HELP: X breaks virtual terminal's vertical refresh (root)
  Connecting w/ the Exceed X server (David Knight)
  HELP: X breaks virtual terminal's vertical refresh (root)
  no sound in linux 2.4.0 ( redhat 6.2 ) ("Fu")
  Re: RH7 & Setting up a printer WITHOUT control-panel ("Chip Piller")
  Re: Term emulator with *real* keypad emulation? (Thomas Dickey)
  no sound in linux 2.4.0 ( red hat 6.2 ) ("Fu")
  Re: nfs problem.. permission denied? (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?=)

From: "H.A.J. van Niekerk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AHA-1542c
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:10:51 +0100

Hi,

No need for a driver! In RH 6.2 when you get the 'boot: ' type in 'expert'. I
expect RH 7 won't be much different. It will take you to additional screens.
The 1st asks for additional driver. Skip this. The second asks for add-on
hardware. Select SCSI and you'll find a list in which the AHA 1542 in
mentioned. Just select this one and "Bob's your uncle".

Good luck

Huub

------------------------------

From: Adam Balgach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Networking question...
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:22:48 -0500

Hello,
i am currently at school, and a full time runner of linux.  however, i
reciently got another computer (small 166mhz pentium) so that i could
always leave that one on, and have it act as a webserver. this way i can
shut my other linux box off from time to time. so now here is my
question. being at school, ive got one dedicated IP address. what i want
to do is set up the 166mhz machine as a apache server, always running.
now i want to hook my other computer (nice 550 mhz linux box) through
the 166 server. since i have only one IP, i cant just plug them both
into a hub. so my question, is how exactly do i setup my 166 as a server
for all incomming traffic, and outgoing traffic of itself and my other
computer? thanks.

adam balgach

------------------------------

From: Adam Balgach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems getting LILO to work after install....
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:24:56 -0500

==============850DD5F181AB51875A029193

Your best bet is to make a partition mounted at "/boot" and then have your
main linux partition mounted at "/" see lilo needs to be installed before
the 1024th cylinder for it to work correcly. so if you make a tiny boot
partition (liek 20 megs large) and install lilo there, then it will work
quite nicly :-) took me forever to figure that out. the documentation
blows.

adam.

--
Computer Engineering
Mathematics / Philosophy

==============850DD5F181AB51875A029193

Your best bet is to make a partition mounted at "/boot" and then have your
main linux partition mounted at "/" see lilo needs to be installed before
the 1024th cylinder for it to work correcly. so if you make a tiny boot
partition (liek 20 megs large) and install lilo there, then it will work
quite nicly :-) took me forever to figure that out. the documentation blows.
<pre>--&nbsp;
Computer Engineering
Mathematics / Philosophy
Lehigh University
<A HREF="http://www.balgach.com">http://www.balgach.com</A></pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "John Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setup Question:  I want to know the best way to setup an SMTP spooler for
Exchange
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:00:13 -0500
Crossposted-To:
comp.mail,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.exchange.applications,microsoft.public.exchange.misc,microsoft.public.exchange.setup

I respectfully disagree. We have an external ISP host a secondary MX server
that simply collects all email in the event of an outage, then forwards it
to our main in-house server when it returns to service.

Several reasons for this suggestion
1. T1's go down
2. Servers go down
3. Major virus attacks. When the luv letter [misspelled to prevent filtering
of msg] virus hit so hard and before the antivirus, we simply disconnected
our email server from the external network. We let the host for the
secondary MX worry about cleaning their server, and in the meantime, there
wasn't any propogation of the virus. The next morning, we reconnected our
email server and had a ZERO incidence of infection. Email was delayed by
approx 24hrs and antivirus software had caught up by then. Sure beats the
alternative!
4. When you host your own email for your domain, any unavailability bounces
email back to the sender. This can be very costly from a business point of
view. Sure, it'll *probably* try to resend, but sometimes it's too late, and
some servers only send every 24hrs. It also gives a poor impression and/or
lost sales if you do business on the internet.

Hope this helps.
John

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Tommy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ATI All-in-Wonder 128 PCI 16 MB card solution
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:21:00 -0600

I believe there is some info on this at www.concoctedlogic.com also.

"Arctic Storm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:lqn86.7449$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Here's the solution to the ATI All-in-Wonder 128 PCI 16 MB card mystery.
> Run the Xconfigurator as you normally would, which will add "r128" driver
in
> the device section of XF86Config-4 file; I think it's because of graphics
by
> rage.
> Open XF86Config-4 file and add the following line.
> ChipID 0x5246
> No quotes around the number 0x5246.
> Adding the BusID seems to be optional, if you have only one video card.
> This kind of information should be readily available to the public in
ATI's

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Term emulator with *real* keypad emulation?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:34:09 GMT

Is there a terminal emulator for X that accurately emulates the VT100
application keypad, including the use of NumLock as the DEC "Gold"
editing key?

I'm trying to install my favorite text editor, "ED," which is a clone
of the old DEC EDT editor. (Available via anonymous ftp from clio.rice.edu.)
This editor makes extensive use of the numeric keypad in application mode,
unfortunately all of the terminal emulators I've tried so far don't
seem to properly emulate the keypad, particularly that pesky Gold key.
(Though the Linux console does, ED works fine from a text-mode console.)

Thus far I've tried xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole, and e-term along
with their various keyboard settings where available, and no luck so far;
the only way I can make ED work properly is to switch to one of the
text-mode consoles.

Any help finding an emulator that will work with this will be greatly
appreciated! Though I'm no stranger to vi, having worked extensively
with DEC systems I've got that blasted EDT keypad burned into my brain...

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

From: ken pile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: no joysticks in kernel 2.4.0
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:03:49 +0000

Thanks Christopher. I have since heard that I don't actually need
a 2.4 kernel, from the same support team!!. So I'll stick with
2.2 for now.

Thanks anyway

------------------------------

From: "Les B. Labbauf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Screen Saver
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:10:15 GMT

I recently installed Red Hat 7.0, upgrading from 6.2.  Now my screen
saver does not work.  The screen savers do allow me to preview them, but
when the screen saver activates my screen goes blank.  It does not power
off, but just goes black.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: John Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE CD-RW vs ATAPI Zip drive
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:21:53 +0000

E J wrote:

> Does this command actually work?
> mount -t msdos /dev/hdb /mnt/zip
> Then the command I gave you is wrong.
> mount -t msdos /dev/sda /mnt/zip

Bingo! Now they both work fine.

Many, many thanks to all for all the help

John

------------------------------

From: "Jurgen Roels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: new on SJC
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:26:36 +0100

Linux Mandracke The Expirience of Frederik now on SJC visit
http://start.sjc-gent.be/real/

Jurgen Roels
SJC Webmaster
http://www.sjc-gent.be
http://start.sjc-gent.be
http://chat.sjc-gent.be
e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What starts Configure Desktop in KDE? How to Restore Control Center?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:28:32 -0500

I've hosed my Control Center in KDE 2...I've erased something(s) and now
the control center window pops up but there are no entires in it.  How
does one restore this.  Also, when one right clicks on the desktop in
kde 2, there is aconfigure desktop entry, but when I click it nothing
happens...what is the program that it tries to run, so that I might try
to run it in the consol and see why it is failing.  Thanks,

  Jason

------------------------------

From: Maxxe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Usb Modem and RH7
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:30:57 +0100

Hi all!

I just installed Red Hat 7.0 on my pc and wondering how to configure my
USB ST Microelectronics 56k external modem.

Usb subsystem is already working on my system (i use a logitech mice on
usb).

I tryed to link /dev/modem to /dev/usb/ttyACM0 (ACM1-2-3-4 also) but had
no luck.

Is there anything else i can do before throwing my modem out of the
window?

Thanks in advance and please reply via email. (Remember to cut
TOGLINOSPAM from the email address)

--

Ciao, Maxxe
To reply via email cut TOGLINOSPAM from the address.

------------------------------

Subject: HELP: RH7 & Setting up a printer WITHOUT control-panel
From: Donald Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:50:10 -0800

Hi

I installed RH7 on a machine sans X windows, which means no control-panel. I
added a HP Deskjet 890C by coping a /etc/printcap entry that I had for the
same printer on another machine (created by control panel) and manually
created the /var/spool/lpd/lp directory and various other files by copying
them from the machine the printer worked on before. I used checkpc to verify
permissions etc.

Now whenever I do an lpr somefile.txt I get:

lpq
Printer: lp@tecra
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue

Anybody know what this message is a symptom off or can assist me in manually
adding this printer?

Thanks

------------------------------

From: ".... ........" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Rage Fury Pro, RH6.2, XFree 4.0.2. Can't get X working!!!
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:48:48 -0700

Can anyone here elaborate on the installation and configuration of X for
my ATI RFP (Rage 128 Pro based)?

>From what I've been able to gather, with 4.0.2 installed all I should
have had to do is configure as if it were a Rage
128 based board and then add the correct ChipID to the card's section of
the /etc/X11/XF86Config (or whatever it is
called) file.  I've tried several variations of this, but none have
worked.   Most posts I've found have said to use
ChipID 0x5246 [rage 128 FP I think], but my chip appears to be a 5046
[rage 128 Pro FP].  I've tried both, and there
are X errors in each case).

Though the r128 drivers are supposed to be near complete in .2, I
figured there might be some small incompatibilities
with different chip revisions, so I decided to try the standard vga
driver.  This time I got X, but at ~320x200 and in
4-16 color depth (though I'd set a min of 640).  I also tried the VESA
driver, and that gave me a more acceptable
resolution, but still had horrible color depth.

Monitor is Panasonic S15, HorizSync 30-67, VertRefresh 50-120, trying
for 640-1024 horizontal resolution modes.
Mobo:  Asus CUSL2, BIOS 1002
P3-666EB
AGP video above, 32MB SDRAM retail V(ideo)I(n)V(ideo)O(ut) version,
128mb pc133,
3Com alana 56k,
generic NIC,
SB Live Value

Redhat 6.2
XFree86 4.0.2 from XFree86.org (just the required .tgz and utils,
installed with supplied install script.

Everything works in Win98 (at least as well as you can expect an ATI
product to work), so I don't think it is a
hardware problem, just soft/config.

Suggestions? (even if it is "wait for 4.0.3" or "get the newest/next
RH")

------------------------------

From: Srinivasa R Kamabathula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat7 Custom Installation
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:13:35 GMT

I successfully "Custom" installed Red Hat7 Linux on my Win98 PC for
dual-booting. I'm not able to login as any user including root. The only
way I can access the system is through run level 1 (single-user mode). I
changed the run level from 5 to 3 thinking the problem is due to Xwin.
But no help. I could not login even once after the installation.

Thanks for any help,
-Srini Kamabathula

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat7 Custom Installation
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:22:15 +0100

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Srinivasa R Kamabathula wrote:

> I successfully "Custom" installed Red Hat7 Linux on my Win98 PC for
> dual-booting. I'm not able to login as any user including root. The only
> way I can access the system is through run level 1 (single-user mode). I
> changed the run level from 5 to 3 thinking the problem is due to Xwin.
> But no help. I could not login even once after the installation.

Go to runlevel 1 (single user). Run 'passwd' as root and set a new
password. Then run 'passwd <user>' for each user on the system. This
should fix it.

Rasmus Bøg Hansen

------------------------------

From: Scott Nolde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Networking question...
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:19:53 GMT

Adam Balgach wrote:

> Hello,
> i am currently at school, and a full time runner of linux.  however, i
> reciently got another computer (small 166mhz pentium) so that i could
> always leave that one on, and have it act as a webserver. this way i can
> shut my other linux box off from time to time. so now here is my
> question. being at school, ive got one dedicated IP address. what i want
> to do is set up the 166mhz machine as a apache server, always running.
> now i want to hook my other computer (nice 550 mhz linux box) through
> the 166 server. since i have only one IP, i cant just plug them both
> into a hub. so my question, is how exactly do i setup my 166 as a server
> for all incomming traffic, and outgoing traffic of itself and my other
> computer? thanks.
>
> adam balgach

Read:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/linux/LDP/LDP/ls_quickref/QuickRefCard.pdf
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/linux/LDP/LDP/gawlso/Securing-Optimizing-Linux-RH-Edition-1_3.pdf
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/linux/LDP/LDP/lasg/

And:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/linux/LDP/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

IP masquerading will allow you to share the IP address.  You will need a
second NIC for your webserver/firewall.

Get yourself a strong firewall ruleset here:
http://www.linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html

And read the guy's book: Linux Firewalls

- Scott
--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Lorne Gutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nfs problem.. permission denied?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:37:43 GMT

check the hosts on the server.   you must have
the cllient's IP in there.

cheers
Lorne

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:38:23 -0600
From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: HELP: X breaks virtual terminal's vertical refresh

I just installed a clean install of mandrake 7.2  It seems to work fine
except
that after I start X and then switch to a virtual terminal, the screen
scrolls.
This also happens after I leave X as well.

Any help would be appreciated,

Jon.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

p.s.  The video card is an ATI Rage Mobility video adapter with 8MB of
video RAM
        This problem didn't exist in Mandrake 7.0

------------------------------

From: David Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Connecting w/ the Exceed X server
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:46:20 -0700

I know people say "there are no dumb questions", but ....

I would like to be able to connect to my linux box remotely from an
NT/2000 machine running Hummingbird's Exceed X server and access my
gnome desktop, etc.

Everything works fine locally, but I don't get any response when trying
to connect to it from Exceed... and I know the Exceed app is working
because I can connect to other UNIX machines just fine... so I'm
presuming it's a configuration change that needs to be made on the Linux
box.

I know this must be rediculously simple to do, but can someone tell me
how?

(I'm running the RedHat 7 distribution)

Thanks,

Dave Knight

------------------------------

From: "Fu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,git.unix.linux
Subject: no sound in linux 2.4.0 ( redhat 6.2 )
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:56:17 -0500

i have been able to configure my realtek 8029as chipset nic on eth0 with
ne2k-pci. however when i try to load the module for my sound card, it tells
me no device found ( paraphrased ) but i can see my sound card in /proc/pci
has been given an irq of 10.

any suggestions?? assume that i didn't try your idea.

thanks in advance again.
--
know Jesus, know peace... no Jesus, no peace.

fu

------------------------------

From: "Chip Piller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7 & Setting up a printer WITHOUT control-panel
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:00:20 -0500

I would undo all of the manual stuff that you did, go get the RedHat 7.0
LPRng-3.6.24-2 rpm and install it.
If your machine_to_configure  is on a network I would go to the machine that
has Xwindows running (the one with the control panel) and I would open a
terminal window, type xhost +machine_to_configure, then ssh into the
machine_to_configure and run printtool remotely to setup the printer.
Another nice way to do this would be to install vnc on both the machine
without X that you want to configure and a remote machine (can be linux or
windows).  Then start vncserver on the linux machine and vncviewer on the
remote machine.  Then use printtool to setup the printer.

There are other ways you could do this, man printcap might help.
It could be something as simple as you restarting your lpd,
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd restart"

Hope this helps,
Chip

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Thomas Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Term emulator with *real* keypad emulation?
Date: 15 Jan 2001 21:01:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Roger Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there a terminal emulator for X that accurately emulates the VT100
> application keypad, including the use of NumLock as the DEC "Gold"
> editing key?

> I'm trying to install my favorite text editor, "ED," which is a clone
> of the old DEC EDT editor. (Available via anonymous ftp from clio.rice.edu.)
> This editor makes extensive use of the numeric keypad in application mode,
> unfortunately all of the terminal emulators I've tried so far don't
> seem to properly emulate the keypad, particularly that pesky Gold key.
> (Though the Linux console does, ED works fine from a text-mode console.)

Linux console doesn't do the keypad properly either...

> Thus far I've tried xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole, and e-term along
> with their various keyboard settings where available, and no luck so far;
> the only way I can make ED work properly is to switch to one of the
> text-mode consoles.

I'd simply switch xterm into vt220-keyboard mode and use that (the
default is PC-style).

The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
There's an faq at
        http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html
        ftp://dickey.his.com/xterm

(ymmv - some distributors clutter up the xmodmap and X resources with
things that make it unusable on a VMS system).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://dickey.his.com

------------------------------

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:08:35 +0100

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Lorne Gutz wrote:

> check the hosts on the server.   you must have
> the cllient's IP in there.

And portmap is configured properly? It needs to have en entry i
hosts.allow. Something like:

portmap: networknumber/netmask

Rasmus Bøg Hansen

> On Sat, 06 Jan 2001, ID wrote:
> >hello,
> >
> >i'm trying to setup nfs with rh7-linux both machines, but seems not working.
> >on top of a fresh installed linux system,
> >----
> >fstab of client (globalchinalink)
> >192.168.0.91:/tmp    /mnt/tmp      nfs      exec,dev,suid,rw 1 1
> >----
> >/etc/exprots of server (192.168.0.91)
> >/tmp  globalchinalink(rw)
> >----
> >
> >i'm puzzled,  everything seems right, yet all i got is this error message.
> >"failed, reason given by server: Permission denied"
> >
> >anyone know what could be wrong?
> >
> >regards
> >ismet

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest