From: Warren Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Question relating to changing network card media type
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:16:33 +1000

I have a RedHat 7.0 installed and a 3c905c network card. How do I change
the media type for the card, i.e. change the media from auto to 10baseT
or 100baseT?
I have tried
                    ifconfig eth0 media 10baset
but get the error
                    SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported.
Any help would be much appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Bill Courtney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO Placement
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:33:22 -1000

Aloha kakou,

I am trying to install Linux on a 20gb drive. I want it to co-exist
(tri-boot) with NT Server and 2000 Server. For whatever reason, when I
do my install, I am not given the option of installing LILO where I
choose (MBR or Linux partion). It automatically goes to the MBR. The two
other Linux intalls I have under my belt gave me that option. What's
going on here???  Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mahalo no,
               Bill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Subject: Re: how do I change the $HOME variable?
Date: 9 Apr 2001 22:43:53 GMT

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:02:39 -0400, Gregory Davis allegedly wrote:
>That's pretty much it.  I want to put my /root/ directory in /home/ to make
>/home/root/ and have all my home directories one separate partition.  It
>follows then that I change the value for root's home directory.  But I do
>not know where to do this.  My guess is somewhere in /etc/ there is a
>user-data file that sets the home for each user there.  Would be nice if it
>had an obvious name like that.

You can change that directory to /home/root by changing it in
/etc/passwd, followed by running pwconv to update /etc/shadow
The password file has all information about users that doesn't come from
their own files in their home-directories.

There are several compelling reasons not to do that though.
* The primary reason is that in the early stages of the boot procedure,
  the startup scripts will force you to log in as root when they meet
  failure. This is often at the stage where only the root partition is
  mounted, but the others not yet.
  Now the log in requires that your home directory exists, otherwise it
  will fail. So it needs to be on the first partition that gets mounted,
  ie the root partion. [1]
  A real-life scenario would be after a power fialure, the system boots
  into fsck, which encounters so many errors that it needs be run
  manually. At this point only the root partition is mounted, and the
  others are not. So if you can't log in you're screwed. (Yes I know,
  you can boot from floppy or cd and take it from there. But that should
  not be necessary.)
* You should only be working as root when doing system maintenance. Root
  therefor should not have much data stored in his/her home-directory,
  and there is little concern that that data may get lost, fi when
  upgrading, or changing to a different distribution. On my system it
  has a copy of my personal shell configuration file, with my list of
  aliases, and a shell history file. That's it. If you need X to use
  some graphical configuration tools you may have copies of themes, and
  some dot-files but if have lots of files under /root you are doing
  something wrong.

Footnote;
1 The root partition is the filesystem / , which is something different
from /root, the home-directory for the user root.
--
If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?
Herman Bruijn                         website:   http://hermanbruijn.com

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Where is Auto Detect Raid option in kernel 2.4?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:24:46 +0200

In comp.os.linux.setup [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> There is an option in the 2.4 kernels to detect the raid arrays during
> the partition check... then they can be mounted using the entries in

Oh! That .. that's only for raid root. There's no need under other
circumstances.

> fstab.  However, in my 2.4.2 kernel, the auto-detect raid option isn't

Raid partitions in fstab work fine. It's nothing to do with the kernel.
It's entirely up to your init scripts. Just before they do the mount -a
-nonfs bit, they should do a raidstart -a.

> available.

I've never heard of it, but I believe you that it exists. As I said, I
can only imagine its for raid root, as it isn't needed for anything
else. If you don't have raid root, don't bother with it. If you need
it, then talk to the author about it.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Warren Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kernel Compile errors
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:54:08 +1000

When I try to compile the kernel, for RedHat 7.0, using the command

            make bzImage

I recieve the error

            as86 -0 -a -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
            make[1]: as86: Command not found

Where can I find as86.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Date: 9 Apr 2001 22:59:14 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:16:33 +1000, Warren Parker allegedly wrote:
>I have a RedHat 7.0 installed and a 3c905c network card. How do I change
>the media type for the card, i.e. change the media from auto to 10baseT
>or 100baseT?
>I have tried
>                    ifconfig eth0 media 10baset
>but get the error
>                    SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported.
>Any help would be much appreciated.

Read the documentation in the kernel tree
linux/Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
and http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to config the X-Server??
Date: 09 Apr 2001 17:01:38 -0600

"Barry Hatfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> ...and speaking of resolution.....how do you change it??

ctl + alt + [ num pad plus or minus ]

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Jacob Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virtual hosting questions
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:29:51 +1000

with sendmail you also need the DNS settings correct to point at your
machine as the mail server for the various domains, and you need to add the
domain into the /etc/sendmail.cw file.  This file holds the information on
all domains that the machine will accept email for...

I'm not quite sure how you'd go about setting the rewriting rules for
sending mail from the local host would be... although if your not planning
on allowing that then it doesnt matter....

"Ian Northeast" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> God_Of_Pain wrote:
> >
> > I want to setup a virtual host server. I want to use one static IP and
have
> > many URL's hosted from it. IE www.someplace.com, www.myother.com,
> > www.thisone.com and so on.
> >
> > I know that I need to configure a DNS server in some way to do this.
There

------------------------------

From: Kyle Tucker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing /dev/sda from FAT32 to Linux
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 23:36:51 GMT

Rod Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If I understand correctly, you no longer want to boot Windows on this
> system; you want to convert /dev/sda to be used entirely from Linux,
> using ext2fs (or possibly ReiserFS, XFS, or something else). To do this,
> you should do two things:

> 1) Use mke2fs (or some other utility for another filesystem) to create
>    a new ext2 filesystem on /dev/sda1. Note the "1." You're converting
>    the PARTITION, not the entire disk. This operation doesn't touch the
>    MBR. It will, however, delete any data that exists on the partition,
>    so if you want to save some files, back them up first.

I did this step and it couldn't have been smoother. Thanks much!

--
- Kyle

------------------------------

From: Carbon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.general,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Firestarter firewall experiences?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 19:39:40 -0400

I've used firestarter http://firestarter.sourceforge.net before as
well.  It's really useful if you just want to get a basic firewall up
quickly, like after installing the os and before going online, or if
you want a firewall but don't feel like doing a lot of work.  For
those who want something a little more intricate, there's

the online firewall configurator at
http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html

and

mason http://dhp.com/~whisper/mason/, a very cool interactive firewall
builder.

------------------------------

From: "Elem103" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Squid&RH 7.0
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:02:12 +1000

"Theng Ung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi,
>=20
> I manage to get it to work now. by using ipchains rules below (modify =
to suit
> my LAN) and also reading this site
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/mdw/HOWTO/mini/TransparentProxy-4.html . =
Elem103
> mention most of it but the site mention something that I don't know =
before.
> like
> 1. squid -z # run first time
> 2. http_access allow all  #in httpd.conf

I think you meant squid.conf, but anyway, be careful with that =
directive.  That means that everyone can use your proxy especially if =
you bind it to every interface (ie including the one to the internet).  =
If they find out that you have a proxy, they might decide to use it, =
just to annoy you :)

A better way would be to use ACL:

eg.
acl mylocallan src 192.168.88.1-192.168.88.254/255.255.255.255
http_access allow mylocallan
http_access_deny all

Another way would be just to bind squid on your local LAN interface =
only.

http_port 192.168.88.1:3128

> Regarding the ipchains rules belows I simply just run it on top of the =
rules
> generated by the firewall (firestarter).

> Right now anyone can browse from my LAN (192.168.0.0/24)either using =
the proxy
> or without the proxy that I set up.
> I want to restrict everyone in my LAN to user the proxy server =
(192.168.0.3).
> Any help is much appreciated.
>=20
> Anway many thanks to Elem103 for his kind contributions.

Welcome.

Cheers,
Elem103

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO Placement
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:28:13 +1000

And what screwy distro does this????
Does not sound like a proper family member of the Linux line.
Those are docile and obedient.

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: pezdro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need help installing linux
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:30:16 -0000

I am completely new to the whole idea of linux and how to install it
safely on to my computer.

I have to hard drives. A primary 15 gig and a secondary 2 gig. I want to
install linux on to the secondary hard drive and be able to boot up to
either operating system when I boot up.

I have boot magic and partion magic, I just need to know what exactly do I
have to do to achieve this goal so I can finally start using linux.

The version I have is Mandrake 7.0. Thanks for your help.

------------------------------

From: Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installed Red Hat Linux and I only get prompt no gnome
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:30:24 -0000

I want to know what do I need to do to get past the prompt and get to my
gnome graphical user interface??

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Date: 10 Apr 2001 00:34:30 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:30:24 -0000, Hans allegedly wrote:
>I want to know what do I need to do to get past the prompt and get to my
>gnome graphical user interface??

Log in with your username and password.
Use startx to start the GUI.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Coleman)
Subject: Re: Kernel Compile errors
Date: 10 Apr 2001 00:52:59 GMT

Warren Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> When I try to compile the kernel, for RedHat 7.0, using the command
>
>             make bzImage
>
> I recieve the error
>
>             as86 -0 -a -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
>             make[1]: as86: Command not found
>
> Where can I find as86.

That's the assembler.  Try 'locate as86' to find where it is.  But how
did you get that far through the compile process without discovering
you had no assembler?  Surely it's called before here?  I guess I need
to read those scrolling messages a bit quicker.

--
Sorry about the munged email address; my work server can't filter to
catch spam.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Apr 2001 18:56:25 -0600

Warren Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When I try to compile the kernel, for RedHat 7.0, using the command
>
>             make bzImage
>
> I recieve the error
>
>             as86 -0 -a -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
>             make[1]: as86: Command not found
>
> Where can I find as86.

You need to install the 'dev86' package.

From: "Jan =?iso-8859-1?q?Oberl=E4nder=22?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fdisk and BSD labels
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 02:56:23 +0200

Hi,

I was trying to install FreeBSD next to Linux, and partitioning with
fdisk. I created these partitions:

----
Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 3736 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1   *         1         3     24066   83  Linux
/dev/hdb2             4       330   2626627+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hdb3           331       592   2104515   a5  BSD/386
/dev/hdb4           593      3736  25254180    5  Extended
/dev/hdb5           593       723   1052226   83  Linux
/dev/hdb6           724      1246   4200966   83  Linux
/dev/hdb7          1247      1261    120456   82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb8          1262      2306   8393931    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hdb9          2307      3736  11486443+  83  Linux
----

So I wanted to create a BSD disklabel on the hdb3 slice by pressing 'b'.
Then fdisk says:

----
Warning: starting partitions at cylinder 1 will be bad for the health of your
partition table -- start at cylinder 2 instead!

Reading disklabel of /dev/hdb3 at sector 5301451.

Unable to seek on /dev/hdb
----

Question 1: Do I have to worry about the cylinder 1/2 thing? Should I
re-partition to get that away?

Question 2: Why is fdisk unable to seek? Does that have to do with the
cylinder warning? What do I do about it? Is that maybe just a bug in the
fdisk version I use (v2.10f)?

Thanks in advance,

Jan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can't boot off CD (SuSE 7.0)
Date: 10 Apr 2001 01:02:41 GMT

On 9 Apr 2001 08:38:16 GMT, Nick Condon staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
>Technically, I *can* boot off the CD but after 30 seconds of start up
>messages, I think it tries to start X and my display just goes blank.
>Then the monitor starts flashing up an "out of frequency" error. All
>the disks keep ticking over and the keyboard is still responding to
>numlock, capslock, etc. I haven't been asked for any parameters at this
>point.
>
>It's all new hardware; a KT7A motherboard, a Matrox G450 graphics card.
>Any ideas anyone?

I thought there weren't any problems with G450s... guess not.  You can
probably do the install in text mode (enter "yast1" or "text" at the
LILO: prompt; I forget which) and you may need to use xf86config instead
of SaX to do the X configuration.  You might have better luck with the X
4.0.0 on SuSE's CDs than the old standby 3.3.6, or then again, maybe
not.  It would be a good idea to check c.o.l.hardware for "G450" at
http://groups.google.com/ just to see if the userbase has run into a
similar problem in the past....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest