Linux-Setup Digest #38, Volume #21               Fri, 13 Apr 01 03:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  netscape ("Riyaz Mansoor")
  linux ftp'ing problems ("Riyaz Mansoor")
  grub: LBA problem? (Matthew Trunnell)
  help with downloading linux on one computer and transfering it to another via cd.
("themethod")
  E-MAIL ADDRESS ("themethod")
  Re: kernel panic w/ kernel 2.4.2-1 -> VFS:Unable to mounth root fs on 03:44 ("AS")
  Re: upgrading to 2.4 kernel and egcs (Vinh Truong)
  Re: RH7.0 on A7M266, worth it? (Don Sterner)
  Re: RH7.0 on A7M266, worth it? (Don Sterner)
  How to get rpm tool to load??? (root)
  Re: Red Hat system start up (Dave Brown)
  Re: Newbie Help please  - unable to get status of mouse fd (Michael Perry)
  address in use for setserial command ("RM")
  Remove Linux from HD (eisea)
  Re: help with downloading linux on one computer and transfering it to another via
cd. ("Ferdinand Rey")
  Newbie Replacing a HDD ("DJM")
  Re: Remove Linux from HD ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Internet Sharing ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: upgrading to 2.4 kernel and egcs (tech2kjason)
  Re: help with downloading linux on one computer and transfering it to  (David)
  Re: Q: How to configure suse linux to identify two lancards. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Riyaz Mansoor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netscape
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:10:53 +1000

i forgot to add this to my previous post

is there a linux browser that supports java2 other than netscape? if so,
where can i get it?

riyaz

------------------------------

From: "Riyaz Mansoor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux ftp'ing problems
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:25:44 +1000

hi all

i noticed that when i started an ftp session to download a file, it would
start good (about 3.7kb/s which is good speed where i live) and soon
thereafter the speed starts decreasing and just stops. restart the ftping
and it'lldonwload some more and the same thing happens. at a time i would
normally get about 50k to a 100k (max) before stopping. happens both on
ncftp and gftp.

httping works fine (maintains an average of about 2.5kb/s for a 25M file).

i'm running rh6.2, kernel 2.2.14 (as is on the 6.2 cd). is this a bug ?? how
can i correct this? it would be heaps better if i could queue up my
downloads and go to sleep.

when is rh7.1 coming out?

riyaz

ps: appreciate all the help u guys are giving me

------------------------------

From: Matthew Trunnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: grub: LBA problem?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:34:17 -0400

After selecting a boot option, grub reports:

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

The info page says that error 18 is incurred when trying to boot from
drives >8GB when LBA is not enabled in the BIOS.  I have a 14GB drive,
but LBA *is* enabled in the BIOS (DELL XPS400R version A13).

My system is a fresh install of Debian Progeny.  Now here's the weird
part:  The default option (kernel 2.2.18) will load just fine.
I installed kernel 2.4.2 via apt-get, and that created a new entry in
the menu.lst file.  That is the entry that reports error 18.

2.2.18 boots just fine. But 2.4.2 will not.  Being new to apt-get, I
went ahead and recompiled the kernel the old-fashioned way, and made a
new entry for that to see if there would be a difference.  Here's my
menu.1st

timeout 10
default 0

# --> PROGENY START (1.0) <--

title Progeny Debian (kernel 2.2.18)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18 root=/dev/hda2 ro
initrd /boot/initrd-2.2.18.gz

title Progeny Debian - single-user (kernel 2.2.18)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18 root=/dev/hda2 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd-2.2.18.gz

# This is the kernel I compiled myself.
title New (kernel 2.4.2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/bzImage-2.4.2 root=/dev/hda2 ro
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.2.gz

# And this one apt-get installed automagically.
title Progeny Debian (kernel 2.4.2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2 root=/dev/hda2 ro
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.2.gz

title Progeny Debian - single-user (kernel 2.4.2)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2 root=/dev/hda2 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.2.gz

So, the two 2.2.18 entries boot just fine, but the three different 2.4.2
entries do not.

Any suggestions?

Matt

"Whatever you do will be insignificant,
but it is very important that you do it."
-Mahatma Gandhi

------------------------------

From: "themethod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with downloading linux on one computer and transfering it to another via
cd.
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:08:16 GMT

I am fairly new with linux and would like to learn about it by setting up a
SuSe linux on a Intel/Windows computer at my school. I am on a very small
budget ( $0). So I need to download it via ftp (using a cable modem. I don't
want to download it from the cpu i am going to put linux on because it has a
56k.) and then transfer it via cd to the soon to be linux computer. but my
dilema is that the SuSe linux 7.1 is over a gigabyte and Suse doesn't offer
cd images... so I am wondering how would i seperate the files onto the cd's
and how would I install it from there.
    I would appreciate it greatly and so would my school. thank you
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "themethod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: E-MAIL ADDRESS
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:13:36 GMT

I am sorry i messed up the e-mail address for you to e-mail me at if you
want it is:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

thank you for  your  time

------------------------------

From: "AS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel panic w/ kernel 2.4.2-1 -> VFS:Unable to mounth root fs on 03:44
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:44:28 GMT

Thanks for the replies. I have tried linux root=/dev/hdb4 and linux
root=03:68. But neither worked, still the same kernel panic. I run the
/sbin/lilo -v 2 and got the following:

# /sbin/lilo -v 2
LILO version 21.7, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Linux Real Mode Interface library Copyright (C) 1998 Josh Vanderhoof
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2001 John Coffman
Released 24-Feb-2001 and compiled at 15:59:11 on Mar  7 2001.

Reading boot sector from /dev/hdb4
Warning: /dev/hdb4 is not on the first disk
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Secondary loader: 8 sectors.
Boot image: /vmlinuz
Setup length is 10 sectors.
Mapped 1102 sectors.
Added Linux *
Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18pre21
Setup length is 7 sectors.
Mapped 1927 sectors.
Added 2.2.18
/boot/boot.0344 exists - no backup copy made.
Map file size: 20480 bytes.
Writing boot sector.

PS. When I first installed the debian long time ago, I was running
windoze and then wanted to try linux, then before the install, I first
installed a boot manager (don't remember why -- could be because it also
let me repartitiond the two 4 gig harddrives and I didn't know anything
about linux). So that's why I ended up having hdb4, but it is a primary
partition, and so far, I had no problems booting the 2.0 and 2.2 kernels.
Someone asked me to explain this...

Thanks, AS.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vinh Truong)
Subject: Re: upgrading to 2.4 kernel and egcs
Date: 13 Apr 2001 03:54:25 GMT

* stevek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> ...ok, I was too vague with my previous message, I assumed someone would
> have gotten to this point before I did.  anyway, yes I am new at this but
> try to follow directions, this is where I am stuck, trying to get the
> configure part correct.. instructions provided (which I am reading) include
> these initial words...

Could you give the commands you tried, verbatim?  It would help if you
would also include the exact error messages.

------------------------------

From: Don Sterner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: RH7.0 on A7M266, worth it?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:47:58 -0500

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 20:13:12 +0100, "Stephen T Cripps"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thanks Dave.  I was trying to inform readers of information made available
>to me by my memory supplier - which is industry 'insider' information that
>general consumers may not be privy to.

Oh, it's the "I've got a secret" game again?  Nah, it's called I
sell something less, but I'll try to run down the other brands so
people will think mine is the best choice.  Wrong.  Play all the
word games you want.  Crucial is absolute top, quality memory.
It'll function in the fastest of motherboards available today and
it'll overclock with the best of them. Anything you imply to the
contrary is pure BS.

------------------------------

From: Don Sterner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:42:59 -0500

On Sat, 07 Apr 2001 07:04:50 GMT, "James Tonsager"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>266Mhz DDR memories are
>4 times more expensive than
>133Mhz SDRAM<
>
>And not that much faster. You'll see it in benchmarks, but subjectively . .
>. not. .

Where in the world are you seeing a 400% price increase for DDR?
You're not buying at the right places. Good quality Crucial PC133
CAS2 256mb is $99.89.  PC2100 CL2.5, 256mb is $112.49.  So yes,
there's a differnece in price, but it's more along the lines of
12%, not 400%.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (root)
Subject: How to get rpm tool to load???
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 04:52:05 +0000 (UTC)

Hi ,
               I am using SuSe 6.3 Evaluation verison linux.
By mistakenly, through yast tool , i removed rpm package..
It complete removed the rpm binary from /bin directory.
>From next time onwards when i am trying to use yast tool
to install or do some thing , its asking there is no rpm
so abort it..

Can any one help me in recovering from this problem...
And how to install rpm package at this stage.......

thanks,
Srinivas.

--
v.naga srinivas
YVL Software Consultancy,

--
Posted from ns.stph.net [196.12.32.2]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: Red Hat system start up
Date: 12 Apr 2001 23:15:30 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Zen Sorcerer wrote:
>Craig Van Tassle wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to figure out how to change the way my system starts up so i
>> can close down several services that I don't want to be open (netbios
>> for one) I was wondering if any one know a t-phile that explains the RH
>> start-up system in detail. the only ones that I found said it uses
>> scripts.  Well what do i need to do to modify those scripts to kill the
>> things that I don't want open
>
>On a RH system all you need to do is this:
>
>/sbin/chkconfig --list

There are 2 tools on RH (and probably others) to manipulate your
system startup scripts.  "tksysv" and "ntsysv".  tksysv requires that
you be in X, and is more complete in its control.  ntsysv runs in
text mode, and is easier to use (but less "thorough").

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: Newbie Help please  - unable to get status of mouse fd
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 05:17:33 -0000

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:56:16 GMT, 212.35.240.131
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]] <212.35.240.131[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie to Redhat.
>
> Using Redhat 6.2 and kernel 2.2.17.
>
> I can boot up to init 3 level fine. When I run "startx &>logfile" from the
> prompt, it hangs. I recive the following error: /dev/mouse unable to get
> status of mouse fd (inappropriate ioctl for device) in the logfile.
>
> I have tried running mouseconfig & modifying XF86Config. I don't have XF86Setup on
>my system. No luck.
>
> I am using a microsoft PS/2 mouse.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.

> Linux Programmer's Site

To what is /dev/mouse linked to?  Is it linked to /dev/psaux?  Try setting
up a Xf86Config file using xf86config and telling it you have a ps2 mouse
and to link to /dev/psaux instead of /dev/mouse.  Or just fix /dev/mouse to
be a symlink to /dev/psaux.

Your choice...

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "RM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: address in use for setserial command
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:10:40 -0400

Hi,

I upgraded my kernel from 2.2.16 to 2.4.3 on my RedHat 7.0 system.  The
modem use to work.  It is a 3com pci non-winmodem.  I have a script in rc3.d
that does this -- setserial UART 16550 port 0xefe0 irq 3 but now it reports
"address already in use"  -- no crap its my modem.  I have double checked
under Information - PCI.  It worked under 2.2.16.  Is there something I
compiled in the kernel that would cause this.  Thanks in advance.

rob

PS If it makes a difference here is a list of the rest of my system

Supermicro P6DBE 440BX motherboard
Dual Pentium  III 7000 Mhz systems -- Yes SMP is tunred on
1 GB of registered ram
3com 3c905c NIC
Acer 16x DVD
Mitsumi 4804 CDRW
SoundBlaster Live!
Asus 7700 GTS/2

------------------------------

From: eisea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Remove Linux from HD
Date: 13 Apr 2001 06:09:07 GMT

Hi,

I've installed SuSe 6.4 on a spare PC. Now I need to use that PC for
Windows. The problem is LILO does not want to be removed.
I've tried formatting with DOS (including fdisk /mbr, getting an error
message), Partition Magic, NT but still LILO pops up.

What to do ??

Eise.

PS: installing was no problem at all, everything worked fine right from the
box (compared to some other OS).

--
Eise A. van Dijk

Visit The Hardick Page at http://www.hardick.org

------------------------------

From: "Ferdinand Rey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with downloading linux on one computer and transfering it to another
via cd.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:13:30 -0700

use windows first then use a cd burner. you don't have to wait years using
linux for burning

news:A4uB6.36$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "DJM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie Replacing a HDD
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:06:54 -0600

My setup:
    hda0 - /boot
    hda1 - swap
    hda2 - /var
    hdb0 - /

I want to replace my second hard drive, hdb, from a 20GB to a 40GB.  Is
there a painless way to do this?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Remove Linux from HD
Date: 13 Apr 2001 06:45:03 GMT

eisea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've installed SuSe 6.4 on a spare PC. Now I need to use that PC for
> Windows. The problem is LILO does not want to be removed.
> I've tried formatting with DOS (including fdisk /mbr, getting an error
> message)

What error message ? Usually fdisk /mbr solve the problem, if you
get an error message means that fdisk is unable to write on the mbr.
Maybe you have activate virus-protection in the bios?

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Internet Sharing
Date: 13 Apr 2001 06:51:53 GMT

"<toor>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i need to set up an computer to share an internet. We are using Winproxy
> (Windows 98) as our proxy server. And I am the only one using Linux. I need
> to do these changes

I havent' exactly understood your problems, if you have to do these
things in Linux, see the NETx-HOWTO. In a nutshell you have to use
ifconfig to setup the IP address and the subnet mask, then use
route to add the gateway and specify the DNS into the /etc/resolv.conf
file.

Davide

------------------------------

From: tech2kjason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:53:46 -0500

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:26:06 GMT, "stevek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>...ok, I was too vague with my previous message, I assumed someone would
>have gotten to this point before I did.  anyway, yes I am new at this but
>try to follow directions, this is where I am stuck, trying to get the
>configure part correct.. instructions provided (which I am reading) include
>these initial words...
>
>                            Configuring egcs
>
>   Like most GNU software, egcs must be configured before it can be
>   built. This document attempts to describe the recommended
>   configuration procedure for both native and cross targets.
>
>   We use _srcdir_ to refer to the toplevel source directory for egcs; we
>   use _objdir_ to refer to the toplevel build/object directory for egcs.
>
>   First, we _highly_ recommend that egcs be built into a separate
>   directory than the sources which does _not_ reside within the source
>   tree. This is how we generally build egcs; building where _srcdir_ ==
>   _objdir_ should still work, but doesn't get extensive testing;
>   building where _objdir_ is a subdirectory of _srcdir_ is unsupported.
>
>   Second, when configuring a native system, either "cc" or "gcc" must be
>   in your path or you must set CC in your environment before running
>   configure. Otherwise the configuration scripts may fail.
>
>   To configure egcs:
>
>     % mkdir _objdir_
>     % cd _objdir_
>     % _srcdir_/configure _[target]_ _[options]_
>
>   _target specification_
>     * egcs has code to correctly determine the correct value for _target_
>       for nearly all native systems. Therefore, we highly recommend you
>       not provide a configure target when configuring a native compiler.
>     * _target_ must be specified when configuring a cross compiler;
>       examples of valid targets would be i960-rtems, m68k-coff, sh-elf,
>       etc.
>.....now, I have egcs untarred in it's own directory, and have tried a
>couple of things to get the configure script to run, but get "command not
>found".  As I understand it [target] is not recommended to be specified as
>the code will figure it out, and the default [options] are fine for me at
>this point so I do not give options.
>
>again any help is appreciated.
>==============

as root,
for the script     . configure          < ( that's period space name-of-script )

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with downloading linux on one computer and transfering it to
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 06:43:17 GMT

themethod wrote:

> I am fairly new with linux and would like to learn about it by setting up a
> SuSe linux on a Intel/Windows computer at my school. I am on a very small
> budget ( $0). So I need to download it via ftp (using a cable modem. I don't
> want to download it from the cpu i am going to put linux on because it has a
> 56k.) and then transfer it via cd to the soon to be linux computer. but my
> dilema is that the SuSe linux 7.1 is over a gigabyte and Suse doesn't offer
> cd images... so I am wondering how would i seperate the files onto the cd's
> and how would I install it from there.
>     I would appreciate it greatly and so would my school. thank you
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can get a suse iso image from here:

http://www.linuxiso.org/suse.html

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.157% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Q: How to configure suse linux to identify two lancards.
Date: 13 Apr 2001 06:48:47 GMT

Chaos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A computer is used as a prozy server.
> How to configure suse linux to identify two lancard,

first, be sure to have the required modules into the kernel, you
should see the two lancard 'identified' at boot. If not, recompile
your kernel adding the necessary drivers.
Second, use ifconfig tu 'activate' the two cars giving each of
them a different IP address
Third, use route to create a route table that will 'move' packets
from one card to the other.

See also the various NETx-HOWTO

Davide

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest