Linux-Setup Digest #69, Volume #21               Wed, 18 Apr 01 20:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: i just found a strange.. (Bill Unruh)
  printtool ("jf")
  Re: i just found a strange.. (Dougie Richardson)
  Re: cron will not run my binaries, why? (God_Of_Pain)
  VIA KT133A driver ("Bob Feng")
  Re: Corrupted Profile (John Todd)
  RH 7.1 modules compile problem (Ken Weaverling)
  Re: What are these syslog error messages telling me?? (Michael Heiming)
  Re: RH 7.1 modules compile problem (Ken Weaverling)
  promise FastTrak ("Larry Snyder")
  promise FastTrak ("Larry Snyder")
  Re: Red Hat Linux 7.1 ? ("Larry Snyder")
  redhat 7.1 ("Larry Snyder")
  Apache Help Please ("W. Jenkins \(PhlexTeck\)")
  Re: Modem trouble (Mark Bratcher)
  Starting inetd? (Rand Simberg)
  Install help ("Fikus McGhee")
  HOTLINE port 5500 and IPCHAINS ("dubcaller")
  How to set-up /boot to use multiple kernels (Bill Cyzwenki)
  Re: Interested in getting started with Linux ("Ricky Fan")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: i just found a strange..
Date: 18 Apr 2001 21:21:36 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Why would you even expect cut and paste to work between 2 completely
>different applications.  You want cut and paste between the editor and a
>browser, use konqueror.

Why not?  That is exactly what the standard is for.

------------------------------

From: "jf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printtool
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:34:43 -0500

Hello All!

On Red Hat's printtool utility, how can I add/define other paper types? The
only ones currently there are 'A4' and 'Letter'.

Thanks!
-jf-

------------------------------

From: Dougie Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:41:55 +0000

Bill Unruh wrote:

> Why not?  That is exactly what the standard is for.

Too true, Netscape doesn't think so though, probably for the
same reason they implemented such a dreadful set of motif widgets...

Dougie Richardson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: God_Of_Pain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cron will not run my binaries, why?
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:48:15 GMT

I found the problem, my app uses a shared library that is not in /usr/lib.
It is the Qt library, libqt. I guess the env var needs to be set for that.

At the to of my crontab I added...
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/qt/lib

Now it runs. Thanks people.

------------------------------

From: "Bob Feng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VIA KT133A driver
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:11:01 -0700

Hi,

Does anybody have expericence in configuring the VIA KT133A chip set for Red
Hat Linux7.0.

I got a MSI K7T Turbo motherboard and an Athlon 1.3GHZ cpu. During the boot,
the red hat plug-n-play stuffs keep asking me about configuring all four new
devices detected. They are embeded in the single chip set. However if I ever
dare to continue letting the Red Hat do so, the system is crashing for sure.
I always skip the auto configuration during the boot.

1. For Windows, there is a simple tool called "all-4-in-one" driver however
for Linux, VIA claims that it is not supported at this time.

2. How do I disable the automatic plug-n-play feature during the boot for
Red Hat Linux 7.0?

-- Thanks!
    Bob Feng - Advanced Graphics Group @ Silicon Graphics, Inc
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            650-9337514

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Todd)
Subject: Re: Corrupted Profile
Date: 18 Apr 2001 21:19:10 GMT

        Use pico...it is self-explanatory:
pico /path/filename

--
_____________________

The lap of Linuxury

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Weaverling)
Subject: RH 7.1 modules compile problem
Date: 18 Apr 2001 22:18:25 GMT

Can't believe this... :(

Installed a fresh copy of redhat 7.1
I go into /usr/src/linux-2.4
Copy the 2.4 smp config from config/ to .config
make dep
make bzImage
make modules

Modules compile fails.

In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/spinlock.h:35,
                 from /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/module.h:11,
                 from eni.c:6:
/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/asm/spinlock.h:8: nondigits in number and not hexadecimal
/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/asm/spinlock.h:8: nondigits in number and not hexadecimal
/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/asm/spinlock.h:8: parse error before `1b7d4074'
/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/asm/spinlock.h:9: `printk_R_ver_str' declared as function
returning a function
/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/asm/spinlock.h:9: warning: function declaration isn't a
prototype
In file included from eni.c:6:
/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/module.h:173: nondigits in number and not hexadecimal

... and so on and so on... :(

Any ideas how to fix this?
--

Ken Weaverling (ken @ weaverling.org) WHOIS: KJW  http://www.weaverling.org/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:27:34 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What are these syslog error messages telling me??

Jeff Pierce wrote:

> I get the following in my /var/adm/syslog file at boot:
>
> Apr 18 14:09:22 penny kernel: Symbol table has incorrect version number.

Sounds as if you compiled a kernel and forgot to copy system.map to
/boot.

Before a longer thread about system.map starts again and the need or
not,
"man klogd", or check groups.google.com.

> Apr 18 14:09:22 penny kernel: request_module[parport_lowlevel]: Root fs
> not mounted

Makes no sense for me, why should a module be requested before / got
mounted,
one could use initrd for things like that, but parport?

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Weaverling)
Subject: Re: RH 7.1 modules compile problem
Date: 18 Apr 2001 22:42:54 GMT

In article <9bl3rh$lfk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ken Weaverling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can't believe this... :(
>
>Installed a fresh copy of redhat 7.1
>I go into /usr/src/linux-2.4
>Copy the 2.4 smp config from config/ to .config
>make dep
>make bzImage
>make modules
>
>Modules compile fails.

Figured it out, at least maybe me asking a dumb question might help
someone else doing a deja search for this in the future (which I did
before asking).

make mrproper

I didn't do that.

Sigh... I guess I figured that you couldn't get any cleaner than a fresh
install, but I guessed wrong. Loads of damn .ver files are in there that
apparently screw up the module compile.

So, boys and girls:

read the stuff at --

http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-7.1-Manual/customization-guide/kernel-modularized.html

then...

make mrproper
copy a canned .config file from config/
make menuconfig (or whatever)
edit Makefile and add your own unique version string, as recommended above.
  (I needed to change it to smp since all I want is to update one module...)
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

From: "Larry Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.linux
Subject: promise FastTrak
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:16:31 -0400

Anyone have any luck with getting their Promise RAID (onboard ASUS)
controller working with RedHat 7.1/Mandrake (ie: 2.4.X kernel)

I tried the Promise Linux RH 7 driver with 7.1 without luck..

Larry

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Larry Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux 7.1 ?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:53:31 -0400

I have it if you want it - but I'm only at 256K download - anonymous ftp
from lsnyder.com

Larry

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Larry Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: redhat 7.1
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:51:33 -0400

works for me on this machine at work (Compaq) but I have problems using it
at home on my Promise controller..

Larry

From: "mike22@22" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: any one got redhat 7.1 to boot? /sbin/loader hangs, blue screen.
Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 7:18 AM

hello,

Any one able to boot the rhat 7.1 iso images (intel) ?

After I burn the CD's (cd 1 and cd 2). I reboot the PC, and the
boot starts from the CD. I get the menu, I hit return to do
graphic install, then when it goes to /boot/loader message on the console,
the screen flips to all blue and then nothing happens.

HW is fine. I tried 2 good disks and no change. this same PC I am
using now with Suse 7.1 and window with no problem.

SO it seems the problem with the new RHat 7.1 not happy about something.

This is an intel PC, IDE drives, 128 MB. nothing fancy, just a
reqular PC.

These are images I am using:

672518144 Apr 17 20:50 seawolf-i386-disc1.iso
668551168 Apr 18 00:12 seawolf-i386-disc2.iso

downloaded today from mirror site. (redhat ftp site is always
busy, you would think they will get a bigger machine of something
by now).

------------------------------

From: "W. Jenkins \(PhlexTeck\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache Help Please
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:16:34 GMT

I don't know if this is the right group to post this in, but I'll try
anyways..

I have had apache running flawlessly for about 2 months now.  All has been
fine up until today when everything took a big dump.  Figured out my log
files filled up my hard drive.

I run 12 virtual hosts on my system, all which serve graphics.  I have been
trying to figure out how to keep from logging image files but without
success.  Can somebody walk me through the process?  I'm a complete newbie
at apache so be kind in explaining this to me.

Thanks a bunch

W. Jenkins Jr.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Modem trouble
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:22:00 GMT

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:01:46 +0200, Krstanovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> took up his/her
discourse and spake:
>I have Rockvell 56k ISA modem.It works on IRQ#3 and COM2 port under Win Me
>and DOS,but will not work under Red Hat 7
>Help me to configure it.Without the modem Linux is not so useful,in my
>opinion :)
>Thanx!

Are you sure it's a Rockwell modem? Or is Rockwell just the chipset manufacturer?

Anyway, I think the Rockwell chip set _might_ be for a Windows-modem (winmodem).
In other words, all signal processing functions are performed on the PC's driver
for the OS. Windows OS driver model uses "special" drivers for devices like this
in which the complexity of the device is programmed into the driver.

Under Linux, normally, it expects it to be a "normal" modem: something that talks
as a serial port and understand modem commands. The Rockwell is probably not one
of these.

So you have a couple of choices:

* Search the web for a special piece of software that will run on Linux and
support the Rockwell chip set (it _may_ exist... try www.linhardware.com, for
example).

* Buy a _real_ modem (something not listed as a "winmodem"). Real modems work
great on Linux.

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply direct, remove both underscores (_) from my email name

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Subject: Starting inetd?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:25:24 GMT

I'm trying to get an ftp server running.  My sysadmin manual says to
modify the inetd.conf file, among others.  Then it says to

'killall HUP inetd' to restart inetd.  But inetd is not even
running...

How do I get inetd to run?

--
simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Replace first . with @ and throw out the "@trash." to email me.
Here's my email address for autospammers: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Fikus McGhee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Install help
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:29:41 -0700

Hi there,
I have made a boot disc and booted my coputer. i go throught the initial
questions of what language and such. I then get the question of where my
copy of linux is. CDrom or Hard drive. It is on the cd-rom but the install
process does not find it. What can i do?

------------------------------

From: "dubcaller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: HOTLINE port 5500 and IPCHAINS
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:39:24 -0700

HI ALL,

I have a hotline server running behind my IPCHAINS, RED HAT 7.0, router.  It
uses port 5500.  I've opened the port (in and out) in my rc.firewall and
fowarded the port to my correct internal address.  For some reason hotline
clients can't connect.  Has anyone been successfull running a Hotline server
behind a simliar setup.  Are there modules that I need to install?

------------------------------

From: Bill Cyzwenki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to set-up /boot to use multiple kernels
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:38:52 GMT

I am running rh7.0
kernel = 2.4.2
lilo = 21.4-4

I am trying to set-up my /boot directory so I can choose to boot off
either my newly compiled vmlinuz-2.4.2-K1 kernel image or the old
vmlinuz-2.2.16-22. I know I need to set-up /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo
but what files are necessary in /boot.  I ask this because my current
/boot directory has link files (System.map, module-info, vmlinuz)
pointing to files with my old kernel's name.  If want to boot either
kernel how should I set-up the files?   (I have included a printout of
my /boot directory)

Another question is, do I need the module-info file.  If so, is there
some process that automatically configures the module-info based on what
I told xconfig to load as modules?  If I need to set it up, where do I
get all the information used to create the module-info file?

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root               20   Apr 18 15:35
System.map -> System.map-2.2.16-22
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root        200427  Aug 22  2000
System.map-2.2.16-22
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root              512    Mar 19 00:41
boot.0300
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root            5824 Aug 23  2000
boot.b
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root              612 Aug 23  2000
chain.b
-rw-------      1 root     root      4874240 Mar 19 08:01       core
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root                15 Mar 25 09:38
kernel.h -> kernel.h-2.2.16
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root              405 Mar 25 15:33
kernel.h-2.2.16
drwxr-xr-x     2 root     root          12288 Mar 19 00:12
lost+found
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root            1381 Apr 18 15:56        lpr
-rwxr-xr-x     1 root     root          23040 Apr 18 15:21        map
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root          23108 Aug 23  2000
message
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root               21 Mar 25 09:36
module-info -> module-info-2.2.16-22
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root          11773 Aug 22  2000
module-info-2.2.16-22
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root              640 Aug 23  2000
os2_d.b
-rwxr-xr-x     1 root     root      1621659 Aug 22  2000
vmlinux-2.2.16-22
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root                17 Mar 25 09:36      vmlinuz
-> vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
-rw-r--r--      1 root     root       627379 Aug 22  2000
vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1099084 Apr 18 12:59
vmlinuz-2.4.2-K1

Thanks

------------------------------

From: "Ricky Fan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interested in getting started with Linux
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:09:55 +0800

At first, I was using hard disk drawers. One drawer for Linux and one for
Windows. There is no need to buy a separate machine, save money for buying
peripherial cards because Linux does not support all the cards you are
using.
Ask your friends for older cards, you may have a better chance. Advantage of
using two hard disks (one at a time ) is it will not accidently erase data
or Windows.

After a while, I am familiar with the system-- numerous formating and
installing, I put one disk as slave to use Linux, it works as dual boot, but
two OS on two hard disks instead of installing in two different partitions
on the same disk. -- works the same as in different partition on the same
hard disk.

David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> interested wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am very interested in using linux. My plans are to dedicate a new
> > machine to it rather than dual booting with my current machine. Do you
> > suggest i build a machine or buy one put together already? I also will
> > want to dual boot either caldera or mandrake with win2k, is this
possible?
> > what do i need to do to make it work if it is possible? Are their any
> > drawbacks of doing this? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
in
> > advance.
>

> If you are going to dedicate a system to Linux, I would say, build it so
> that you get the components you want and know will work well with linux.
>
> As for the dual boot with other systems, Yes it can be done.
>
> --
> Confucius say: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
> Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
> ID # 123538
> Completed more W/U's than 99.166% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest