Linux-Setup Digest #72, Volume #21               Thu, 19 Apr 01 10:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: RH Linux ISO images ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: burning cds and the like...... (Huw Lynes)
  "Fatal Server Error" message during shutdown ("Crystal Luo")
  too many entries too many entries too mant entries in the KDE menu (Richard)
  Re: cant find modules after 2.4.3 compile/reboot (Dave Uhring)
  Re: Daylight saving bug in Redhat Linux? (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Error after 2.4.3 kernel build ("Dave Addison")
  command for formatting hard disk? ("Crystal Luo")
  Re: How do I compile using kgcc? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Xconfigurator help. (Sander Zijlstra)
  Red Hat 7.1 install won't see my CD drive ("Mark Riehl")
  Re: command for formatting hard disk? (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: command for formatting hard disk? (Steve Martin)
  Sound Works Now, But I lost half my drive (Norman Baccari)
  GeForce2 and Zonet drivers (Renaud Toussaint)
  problem with Lilo (Stephen Lohning)
  Re: problem with Lilo (Dave Uhring)
  Re: Starting inetd? ("ne...")
  Re: LILO - just L's (Dave Raymer)
  Re: Sound Works Now, But I lost half my drive (Dave Barnett)
  Re: Sound Works Now, But I lost half my drive (Kwan Lowe)
  Re: GeForce2 and Zonet drivers (Dave Barnett)

From: "Peet Grobler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH Linux ISO images
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:50:18 +0200

You could try double-clicking on the iso image. That should start your
program, and jump straight to where it says insert CD, or to where you can
click burn.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Huw Lynes)
Subject: Re: burning cds and the like......
Date: 19 Apr 2001 09:59:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Falconer wrote:
>However I cannot burn to the
>cd that I am using as a giant floppy.
>         Every time I try and mount the cd , it mounts it ok, but
>will only mount it in ro mode. It will not mount in rw mode. I have
>read a lot of docs about this, including of course, mount and also
>mtab and fstab. But to no avail. Is this yet possible under Linux.
>Hope someone out there has the answer!!! Thanx in advance.
>
>Mike

As far as I remember cdrecord and the like write to unmounted
disks. I think you need to look under multi-session recording
in the CD-Writing-HOWTO which can be found at www.linuxdocs.org

However I've never managed to get it to work. Hope you have better
luck.

--
To reply you know what "dot" should really be.

------------------------------

From: "Crystal Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "Fatal Server Error" message during shutdown
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:11:33 +0800

Dear all,

My PC has been working fine with Redhat Linux 7.0. But today I noticed that
when I was shutting down the PC, I got this message on the screen:

Fatal Server Error:
    Could not open default font 'fixed'

Other than this, the PC still seems working fine. Could this error lead to
any disaster? Thank you for any advice.

Crystal

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: too many entries too many entries too mant entries in the KDE menu
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:15:58 +0100

Hi Folks,
        Played around with update on Mandrake 7.2 and I now have about 6 of
everything in the menu, Tom at mandrakeuser.org had a fix, but this
didn't work.
Does any one have another fix for this, or better yet, can direct me to
a resource for modifying KDE 2.1 menus.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cant find modules after 2.4.3 compile/reboot
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 05:43:40 -0500

Emil Christopher Melar wrote:

> Important things as FS and eth0... remember to add the right support
> drivers, maybe configuration can be change if you migrate to a new
> kernel... dont install vfat support as module... compile it IN the
> kernel... the same goes for eth0... have you tried not to compile it as a
> module?.... also, note the path and ln -s to the right path if
> possible....
>
> Just some suggestions!
>
> --
> --
> Emil Chr. Melar
> Tom von Schwerdtner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Hello everyone...
>>
>> Firstly, I have compiled ~10 kernels in the past few months, and most of
>> them have worked :-), but I dont know what I'm doing wrong here...
>>
>> I got the 2.4.3 tar.bz from kernel.org, and did the usual:
>>
>> make menuconfig      # loaded my 2.4.2 config and reviewed it, changing a
>>                                   # few things
>> make dep
>> make bzImage
>> make modules
>> make modules_install
>> make install                 # after some lilo.conf editing...
>>
>> one note, I read the README for the first time in a while and noticed it
>> said *not* to put the source in /usr/src which I had *always* done
>> before...and had done this time...so I moved it to /usr/kernel instead...
>>
>> anyway, I compiled and wahtnot....rebooted the new kernel...and I get a
>> bunch of "cant find module" errors, and even some missing devices!
>> (namely eth0)
>>
>> so...what the hell am I doing wrong?  Im not supposed to select /dev fs
>> type am I?  I dont think I had before (tis not the norm?).....how do I
>> update the modules so they can be found by modprobe?
>>
>> sheesh, all of this cuz I wanna play a little gltron
>>
>> TIA
>> -Tom

# depmod -a

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Daylight saving bug in Redhat Linux?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:27:40 GMT

Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Raymond Chui wrote:
> >
> > I have Redhat Linux 6.x. I just found this weekend our system still
> > one hour behind since April Fool (April 1).
> > I link /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
> > This is daylight saving time for east time zone in US. But the system
> > did auto one hour forward. I need to manual set one hour ahead and
> > touch all file's modify time created after April 1.
> >
> > Does anyone out there notice the same
> > problem in your Redhat Linux 6.x?
>
> No.
>
> > Or is this well known problem
> > in FAQ?
>
> It might be in a FAQ by now. It generally means someone configured
> their machine incorrectly. If you run you box Linux-Only; i.e., if it
> is not dual-boot with any Microsoftware, it is easy to straighten out.
>
> 1.) Make sure that the link, /etc/localtime ->
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT exists (will have to be a symbolic link, I
> guess,since it may well be on a separate partition). On my system,
> /etc/localtime is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT , not a link.
>
> 2.) Examine /etc/sysconfig/clock
> Mine reads:
>
> ZONE="America/New_York"
> UTC=true
> ARC=false
>
> Yours should be something like that, but ZONE might be a little
> different, depending on how you configured your system.
>
> Then set your hardware clock to UTC, not local time, by any of a
> number of ways (e.g., diddling it in the BIOS, using /sbin/hwclock
> --utc --debug --systohc, etc.).

exactly as above.

> If you are so unlucky as to run a dual boot system where Microsoftware
> can also execute, it will set the hardware clock to local time, no
> matter what.

no, set the microsoft to zulu time.  that's greenwich *without*
daylight savings time.

> Furthermore, it sets the localtime to be EDST when it
> thinks daylight savings time prevails, and resets localtime to EST
> when it thinks standard time prevails. It also does this once in a
> while (e.g., in the middle of February) when the whimsey strikes it.

microsoft doesn't know how to set time to get itself out of a paper
bag.  just accept the weird time stamps.  the minutes will likely be
correct since nearly all time zones are an integer number of hours off
zulu.

> For such a machine,
>
> 1.) Same as step 1.), above.

1) same as all of above.

> 2.) Examine /etc/sysconfig/clock

2) let microsoft lose.  they can hardly do anything else.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Dave Addison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Error after 2.4.3 kernel build
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:25:39 +0100

I see a similar thing occurring on my system which is all IDE apart from a
SCSI CDRW.
I use an initial image with the AIC7XXX driver so that the SCSI bus is
probed on boot.
The error message that I see says that modprobe has failed for
scsi_host_adapter but then the AIC7XXX module is loaded.
I think if my root file system was on the SCSI bus I'd be seeing the same
error as you're getting, but as it doesn't affect system operation I've been
ignoring it. I assumed it was something to do with the mkinitrd command not
handling the aliases for the SCSI driver correctly.

Dave

------------------------------

From: "Crystal Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: command for formatting hard disk?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:51:29 +0800

Hi, all.

I have a hard disk partition that cannot be mounted. The complain message is
something like " you must give a file system type". I've tried to give ext2,
but the partition is not recognized as ext2. Do I have to 'format' the
partition to a recognized fstype first? If I have to, could anyone tell me
what the command is? Thank you very much indeed.

Crystal

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I compile using kgcc?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:43:44 +0200

Gregory Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What is kgcc, and why should one use it to compile kernels?  I have

kgcc is the gcc used to Kompile Kernels.

In RH 7.1, kgcc is gcc, and gcc is not gcc.

> compiled my kernels with gcc from 2.2.14 to 2.4.3.

And so has everyone else. That is why you are being askled to continue
to do so.

Clear? ;-)

Peter

------------------------------

From: Sander Zijlstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Xconfigurator help.
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:10:48 +0200

fdsjfdsa

------------------------------

From: "Mark Riehl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat 7.1 install won't see my CD drive
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:22:35 GMT

All,

I've got an old Pentium 90 with a small IDE Western Digital disk and a Sony
CDU4821 IDE CD drive.  Right now, the machine has Win98 on it and everything
seems to be fine.

I'm trying to install 7.1 (downloaded images, burned CDs, made a boot
floppy).  When I get to selecting the data source, my only two options are
SCSI CD and the proprietary (looking for a driver on a floppy).  I'm
familiar with the process and have installed 6.2 quite a few times.

Any suggestions why 7.1 won't see this drive?  It's a standard IDE drive.

Thanks,
Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: command for formatting hard disk?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:24:33 GMT

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:51:29 +0800, "Crystal Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi, all.
>
>I have a hard disk partition that cannot be mounted. The complain message is
>something like " you must give a file system type". I've tried to give ext2,
>but the partition is not recognized as ext2. Do I have to 'format' the
>partition to a recognized fstype first?

Yes, of course you do.

> If I have to, could anyone tell me
>what the command is? Thank you very much indeed.

mkfs

>Crystal

Lew Pitcher
IT Consultant, Development Services
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:31:17 -0400

Crystal Luo wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I have a hard disk partition that cannot be mounted. The complain message is
> something like " you must give a file system type". I've tried to give ext2,
> but the partition is not recognized as ext2. Do I have to 'format' the
> partition to a recognized fstype first? If I have to, could anyone tell me
> what the command is? Thank you very much indeed.
>
> Crystal

Once you create a partition of type "ext2", you then have to
create the filesystem ("format" in dos-speak). The command
for this is "mke2fs". For example, if you've created your ext2
partition on /dev/hda1, then the command would be

  mke2fs /dev/hda1

Once you do that, you should be able to mount it. BE VERY CAREFUL
with this that you specify the correct partition, because there
is no undo (at least, none that I've ever heard of), and mke2fs
will just as happily blast your root partition as it will an unused
partition if you tell it to.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: Norman Baccari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Works Now, But I lost half my drive
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:29:09 GMT

After installing rh7.1 my new sound card
was recognized right away. NOW, the problem
is one of my hd partitions will not mount. I
get an error message saying "cant find valid
MSDOS file system, wrong fs type etc." Under
w98 I have no problem, its there and scandisk
is happy with it. Now, this partition is 11G, is
there a limit in terms of size, to mount, as there
is when booting large drives beyond the 8G barrier?
If not then Im wondering if I may have screwed
something up in the install process since I did
change a couple partition sizes with fips prior
to the install and I dont do this too often so
theres a good possibility I did screw something. :(

Thanks !!

Norm Baccari

------------------------------

From: Renaud Toussaint <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GeForce2 and Zonet drivers
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:40:28 +0200

Could someone please tell me if it's possible to have a netcard "zonet
ZEN3200" recognized by a Debian or other distribution, and whether one
of the drivers developped by XFree86 works for a videocard NVidia
"GeForce2 Mx" ("MSI AGPhantom"), or if I just must change both cards for
other models?
Thanks.
--
Renaud Toussaint
Groupe de Géophysique, Geosciences,

------------------------------

From: Stephen Lohning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with Lilo
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:53:35 +1000

I have not been able to get lilo to install corectly, I am trying to
built a dual boot system on my
laptop ASUS 8400k
linux boot upfrom a boot disk but win 2000 alway starts up from the
prompt. not lilo
even after I have run lilo. copies of  my disk partitioning, lilo.conf
and mounted partitions are
listed.
**************************
disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2584 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1         2     15088+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2   *         3      1086   8195040    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3          1087      2584  11324880    5  Extended
/dev/hda5          1087      1357   2048728+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6          1358      1392    264568+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda7          1393      2584   9011488+  83  Linux
*******************************
boot=/dev/hda1
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
linear
default=win2000

other=/dev/hda2
 label=win2000

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
 label=linux
 read-only
 root=/dev/hda7
****************************
/dev/hda7 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)  note should be less than 1024 cyc.
/dev/hda5 on /home type ext2 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
automount(pid396) on /misc type autofs
(rw,fd=5,pgrp=396,minproto=2,maxproto=3)
****************************

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem with Lilo
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 08:13:48 -0500

Stephen Lohning wrote:

> I have not been able to get lilo to install corectly, I am trying to
> built a dual boot system on my
> laptop ASUS 8400k
> linux boot upfrom a boot disk but win 2000 alway starts up from the
> prompt. not lilo
> even after I have run lilo. copies of  my disk partitioning, lilo.conf
> and mounted partitions are
> listed.
> **************************
> disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2584 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1             1         2     15088+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda2   *         3      1086   8195040    7  HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda3          1087      2584  11324880    5  Extended
> /dev/hda5          1087      1357   2048728+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda6          1358      1392    264568+  82  Linux swap
> /dev/hda7          1393      2584   9011488+  83  Linux
> *******************************
> boot=/dev/hda1
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> message=/boot/message
> linear
> default=win2000
>
> other=/dev/hda2
>  label=win2000
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
>  label=linux
>  read-only
>  root=/dev/hda7
> ****************************
> /dev/hda7 on / type ext2 (rw)
> none on /proc type proc (rw)
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)  note should be less than 1024 cyc.
> /dev/hda5 on /home type ext2 (rw)
> none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> automount(pid396) on /misc type autofs
> (rw,fd=5,pgrp=396,minproto=2,maxproto=3)
> ****************************

You have installed lilo in the first sector of /dev/hda1.  If you want lilo
to be the boot manager, you have to change boot=/dev/hda1 to boot=/dev/hda.
 You will also want the line

lba32

in lilo.conf.

After editing /etc/lilo.conf, cd /boot and execute /sbin/lilo.

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting inetd?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:32:29 GMT

On Apr 19, 2001 at 03:02, Rand Simberg eloquently wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:40:20 -0400, in a place far, far away, Derek
>Dresser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made the phosphor on my monitor
>glow in such a way as to indicate that:
>
>>> I'm trying to get an ftp server running.  My sysadmin manual says to
>>> modify the inetd.conf file, among others.  Then it says to
>>>
>>> 'killall HUP inetd' to restart inetd.  But inetd is not even
>>> running...
>>>
>>> How do I get inetd to run?
>>>

>>I think you'll find inetd in
>>
>>/usr/sbin/inetd
>
>Nope.  Not there...
>
>>that should start it.  If you are using redhat 7.0 use
>>/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd start
>
>I'm using 6.2.  No /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd...
So how about /etc/rc.d/init.d/init and by the way did you install
inetd?

The First Rule of Program Optimization:
        Don't do it.

The Second Rule of Program Optimization (for experts only!):
        Don't do it yet.
                -- Michael Jackson
  9:29am  up 1 day, 20:53,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: Dave Raymer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO - just L's
Date: 19 Apr 2001 08:41:58 -0600

I had this same problem after having to re-install windoze ...
don't ask why, its not a pretty story.  Anyhow, when I finaly
got the machine lubed up and windoze reinserted, at some point
during the procedure, it had spammed my bios and the harddrive
(second IDE channel, master) was no longer setup in bios and
autodetect had been disabled ...

When I fixed that, everything worked.

cheers,
        dave

------------------------------

From: Dave Barnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Works Now, But I lost half my drive
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:06:16 -0500

Norman:

Norman Baccari wrote:

> is happy with it. Now, this partition is 11G, is
> there a limit in terms of size, to mount, as there
> is when booting large drives beyond the 8G barrier?
I can't attest to RH7.1, but under 7.0, I have a single partition that
is ~30GB in size, without issue.

HTH.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Barnett    System Software Engineer        x2784

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

------------------------------

From: Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:06:44 GMT

Norman Baccari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After installing rh7.1 my new sound card
> was recognized right away. NOW, the problem
> is one of my hd partitions will not mount. I
> get an error message saying "cant find valid
> MSDOS file system, wrong fs type etc." Under

The first place I would look is in /etc/fstab. You'll see a few entries for all
the filesystems and devices. For example:

/dev/hda3 / reiserfs defaults 1 1
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda5 /home reiserfs defaults 1 2
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

Your entry will probably be something like:
/dev/hda4 /windows vfat defaults 0 0

Once you've looked at that, use fdisk to get a list of your partitions:
You'll see something like:
--

[root@omega /root]# fdisk /dev/hda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2646.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

   Command (m for help): p

   Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 2646 cylinders
   Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes

      Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
      /dev/hda1   *         1        13     98248+  83  Linux
      /dev/hda2            14        53    302400   82  Linux swap
      /dev/hda3            54       527   3583440   83  Linux
      /dev/hda4           528      2646  16019640    5  Extended
      /dev/hda5           528      2646  16019608+  83  Linux

--

Find the device that matches your Windows partition then verify that
it matches what you see in /etc/fstab.

------------------------------

From: Dave Barnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GeForce2 and Zonet drivers
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:09:18 -0500

Renaud:

Renaud Toussaint wrote:

> Could someone please tell me if it's possible to have a netcard "zonet
> ZEN3200" recognized by a Debian or other distribution, and whether one
No idea.

> of the drivers developped by XFree86 works for a videocard NVidia
> "GeForce2 Mx" ("MSI AGPhantom"), or if I just must change both cards for
> other models?
> Thanks.
I have a GeForce2 MX card from eVGA, and with XFREE86 version 4.0.2, it
runs quite happily.  I installed Redhat 7.0, and then built the XFREE86
4.0.2 code.  I don't believe the manufacturer ("MSI", versus "eVGA")
should matter.

Redhat 7.1 is available now, and has XFREE86 4.0.3 included.

HTH.

Dave

--
Dave Barnett    System Software Engineer        x2784

"My reality check bounced."
        - Dogbert's Rules of Order

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest