Linux-Setup Digest #267, Volume #21              Sun, 20 May 01 05:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  scsi card help? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: X never stops blanking! (Dave Uhring)
  Re: RH7.1 Kernel compilation (Steve Martin)
  Re: annoying LILO graphic (Dave Uhring)
  Re: How to integrate Oracle http Apache server (Oracle 8.1.7) with Apache come with
Redhat 7.1 (Dave Uhring)
  'optional' line in lilo.conf? (John Scudder)
  Re: no gcc in Redhat 7.1? (Dave Uhring)
  Re: 'optional' line in lilo.conf? (Paul Colquhoun)
  Re: annoying LILO graphic (Jeff Shipman)
  Re: unmounting ("Uncle Junior")
  Linux on a Windows 2000 network ("Some-One from No-Where")
  Re: RH7.1 Kernel compilation (Dave Uhring)
  Re: Newbie question, where does lilo/grub reside? (Caroline)
  Re: Cd Writing Problem w/XCdroast ("Glitch")
  Re: Linux on a Windows 2000 network ("Uncle Junior")
  Re: What is wrong with LILO??? ("Glitch")
  Problems installing new PCMCIA card ("vinayi")
  Re: OPENSSH   sftp   HELP PLEaSE!!! (Reza Naima)
  Re: scsi card help? (Michael Heiming)
  Re: destination host unreachable (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: destination host unreachable (M. Buchenrieder)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: scsi card help?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:10:13 -0400

does anyone know anything about adaptec's 1535 scsi card? is it
supported by linux? adaptec itself does not even have any info on it
other than it was mfg for another company ( i am thinking
compact ). anyway i have been looking for any info but have not found
any myself.  any help is appreciated. thanks

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X never stops blanking!
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:12:55 -0500

Jeff Shipman wrote:

> Dave Uhring wrote:
>> $ xset s noblank   (?)
>
> Yup, that does seem to make it not turn the
> screen blank. Thanks! However, now it brings
> up some generic X screensaver deal (black and
> grey X logo stuff). Is there something else
> I must do to get rid of that?
>
> Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Computer Science Major    ICQ: 1786493
> New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
> Homepage: http://www.nmt.edu/~shippy

Run xscreensaver or xlock :)

# xset s off   may kill that built-in screensaver.  Read xset(1).

You have dpms configured, after a while the screen goes blank and powers
down, right?  Or perhaps you want to look at XF86Config(5x) to see what
other power options you might wish to incorporate.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7.1 Kernel compilation
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 18:18:47 -0400

Dave Uhring wrote:

> # cd /usr/bin
> # mv gcc gcc-2.96
> # ln -s kgcc gcc

If you're only interested in compiling the kernel, don't do this...
it's much easier and less dangerous simply to modify the top-level
kernel Makefile. It references gcc in two places; just change those
two "gcc"'s to "kgcc" and compile away. This leaves the other
compiler alone.

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: annoying LILO graphic
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:19:06 -0500

Jeff Shipman wrote:

> Dave Uhring wrote:
>> Like I hinted earlier, comment out the line
>>
>> message=/boot/lilo.message
>>
>> and you go back to the prompt
>>
>> LILO:
>
> I don't think you're understanding my problem. Currently,
> what I'm getting is:
>
>             ----------------------------
>             |          LILO            |
>             |        GRAPHICAL         |
>             |          MENU            |
>             ----------------------------
> Welcome to my computer. This
> is my lilo.message file.
>
> I want to get rid of the big graphical menu that
> lilo puts up, but I still want to keep the text that
> is stored in my /etc/lilo.message file. If I comment
> out the line you suggest, it doesn't display my
> message at all, but it still displays the big graphical
> menu.
>

> Jeff "Shippy" Shipman     E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Computer Science Major    ICQ: 1786493
> New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
> Homepage: http://www.nmt.edu/~shippy

I'm running RedHat-7.1 on both of the workstations here and don't have that
curses (?) based menu come up.  When I kill /boot/messages, all that comes
up is "LILO boot:"  Can't help you further, I'm afraid.  Actually, I miss
having that graphic show up like I had when I was running Slackware.  Since
I multi-boot 4-6 OS's, using the arrow keys to select my OS was convenient.

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to integrate Oracle http Apache server (Oracle 8.1.7) with Apache
come with Redhat 7.1
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:32:19 -0500

Huy Vu wrote:

> Just read and following the Redhat's release notes when the installation
> done. It showed what need to be done before starting Oracle 8.1.7
> installation on Redhat 7.1
>
> DH.
>
> "Dave Uhring" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Huy Vu wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm trying Oracle 8.1.7 database server on Redhat 7.1.
>> > There is Oracle http Apache server installation options in Oracle 8.1.7
>> > for Linux. I still thinking how can I integrate Oracle http Apache
> server
>> > with the one come from with Redhat 7.1.
>> >
>> > Does someone try it already?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any advise.
>> >
>> > DH
>>
>> Did you get Oracle 8.1.7 installed on RedHat-7.1?  If you did, would you
>> mind sharing how you did it?

Thank you.  Still could not install Oracle from RH-7.1, but I installed
from another partition running RH-6.2.  However, I can now access the
Oracle install from RH-7.1.

------------------------------

From: John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 'optional' line in lilo.conf?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:36:03 -0400

Here is one of the sections of my lilo.conf file:

image = /boot/vmlinuz_24
  root = /dev/sda5
  label = linux_2.4
  initrd = /boot/initrd_24
  optional

What is the purpose of that last line 'optional'?

John

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: no gcc in Redhat 7.1?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:50:24 -0500

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Dave Uhring wrote:
>
>> And its name starts with compat-egcs.......
>> On install, it will be /usr/bin/kgcc
>
> For the record, as of RedHat 7.1, there is no longer a need to use
> kgcc/compat-egcs/egcs to compile kernels.

I am using RedHat-7.1 and the kernel modules for via686a sound do not work
on this system.  It is necessary to build and install alsa-drivers.  It is
impossible to build alsa with RedHat's kernel source.  So I built the 2.4.4
kernel forgetting that gcc is gcc-2.96.  Then built the alsa-drivers.
Result:  no sound.

Then I remembered that gcc=gcc-2.96 and removed that problem.  Rebuilt
kernel and alsa-drivers and now I have sound as I should have had earlier.

Your record is in error.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Subject: Re: 'optional' line in lilo.conf?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 03:40:04 GMT

On Sat, 19 May 2001 22:36:03 -0400, John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|Here is one of the sections of my lilo.conf file:
|
|image = /boot/vmlinuz_24
|  root = /dev/sda5
|  label = linux_2.4
|  initrd = /boot/initrd_24
|  optional
|
|What is the purpose of that last line 'optional'?

It tells lilo not to put the "linux_2.4" label on the boot menu
if /boot/vmlinuz_24 dosn't exist.

If the boot file does exist, the item will be on the menu.

This stops you from having lilo menu entries that have no chance
of working. It won't prevent them from breaking in other ways,
and you can delete the file later, but you can be sure that the
file existed at the time you ran lilo.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: Jeff Shipman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:07:42 -0600

Dave Uhring wrote:
> I'm running RedHat-7.1 on both of the workstations here and don't have that
> curses (?) based menu come up.  When I kill /boot/messages, all that comes
> up is "LILO boot:"  Can't help you further, I'm afraid.  Actually, I miss
> having that graphic show up like I had when I was running Slackware.  Since
> I multi-boot 4-6 OS's, using the arrow keys to select my OS was convenient.

Ok, maybe I'll just try downloading the latest version of
LILO and installing it. Thanks, anyway!

From: "Uncle Junior" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unmounting
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 04:19:56 GMT

You can try editing the file   /etc/fstab

------------------------------

From: "Some-One from No-Where" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on a Windows 2000 network
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:34:20 -0500

Greetings,

I have a (pure) win 2000 domain named "fuqua".

I installed Linux on 1 machine and added the Samba Client (smbclient).  The
Samba Server was already there, I configured it: local master=no, WINS=no,
Printers=no Workgroup=fuqua.

The Linux box has a fixed IP (192.168.1.18 Mask=255.255.255.0).
The windows machines are all (192.168.1.xxx Mask=255.255.255.0).

I can't ping the Windows machines, Windows machines can't ping Linux.
the light on the hub says the Linux NIC is connected... the lights on the
Linux NIC say it is sending...
The hardware worked under Win2000 last week.

I assume I can ping Linux to Windows... right?

Any thoughts?

</charlie>

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:45:22 -0500

Steve Martin wrote:

> Dave Uhring wrote:
>
>> # cd /usr/bin
>> # mv gcc gcc-2.96
>> # ln -s kgcc gcc
>
> If you're only interested in compiling the kernel, don't do this...
> it's much easier and less dangerous simply to modify the top-level
> kernel Makefile. It references gcc in two places; just change those
> two "gcc"'s to "kgcc" and compile away. This leaves the other
> compiler alone.

The "other" compiler, gcc-2.96, is too buggy to be used for building a
stable system.  If you want to debug that thing you are more than welcome
to do so.  My concern was building the alsa-drivers and I am not about to
futz around with changing env CC=whatever, and I do not believe that other
people should have to fight that battle, either.

The egcs compiler works to build anything which I have tried.  What is
"dangerous" is gcc-2.96.

------------------------------

From: Caroline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question, where does lilo/grub reside?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 08:56:39 +0400

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.  I got it removed by
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=10 command as Huw suggested.  The only
thing is that this command erased all boot records in which I have to
reformat my hard disk and install w2k.  Anyway that solved my problem.
Thanks guys.  (Hugs)

Caroline

------------------------------

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cd Writing Problem w/XCdroast
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 01:53:54 -0400

In article <R1AN6.2375$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "don keith"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Did you follow the xcdroast installation to the tee???
>>
>> You must run xcdroast as root for the first time and go through all the
>> setup options, followed by save. This creates isoopt.cfg in the
>> .xcdroast directory (off your home).
>>
>> 1. Open terminal.
>> 2. make yourself superuser.
>> 3. xcdroast
>> 4. go through all setup options on setup page 5. save setup & exit.
>> 6. run xcdroast as a normal user.
>>
>> Give it a go!
>>

> I un-installed Xcdroast completely, then cleaned up all directories with
> references to Xcdroast .....Re-installed Xcdroast exactly per
> instructions but still get same results....The CDRW can read everything
> fine, it is recognized by cdrecord -scanbus just fine,  it goes thru the
> motions while running Xcdroast, but for some reason it doesn't turn on
> the laser to burn a CD(?)........I'm just about at the point of giving
> up....Maybe there is a some kind of hardware issue with the Acer 8432A
> CDRW  and I'm just beating my brains out over a losing
> battle...............Thanks much for your assistance !
>
> regards

hi,

I got xcdroast .98 alpha 8 (the one ported to GTK recently) and I'm
having the same problem.  Any data that i write to the CD is written w/o
errors seemingly, however if i mount the CD and do an 'ls' i get nothing.
 If i view the CD in xcdroast i'm told that there are files on the disc
and space is being taken up.  I tried it with wav files to create an
audio cd and *that* worked but making an image andburning that yields no
listing with 'ls'.

 I have no clue what the problem is but i wanted u to
know its not your drive. I have a SCSI plextor 12/4/32.   Using cdrecord
on it's own i can burn ISOs just fine to a CD so it has to be something
with xcdorast itself.....with the version that came with suse 6.3 i could
burn ISOs just fine. Something is wrong with this new version i think.

------------------------------

From: "Uncle Junior" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a Windows 2000 network
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 05:55:37 GMT

You didn't mention whether you were trying to ping with hostname or IP
address.

If you can ping 127.0.0.1 then the protocol is installed correctly.  Your
problem would then be resolving names.

You could try adding the names of the Windows machines with their IP
addresses to the /etc/hosts file.
Thats an easy solution for a small network.

------------------------------

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is wrong with LILO???
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 02:02:12 -0400

>> "Warning: device 0x0303 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit
>>  Fatal: sector 52769422 too large for linear mode (try 'lba32'
>>  instead)"
>>
>> And that all means what?
>
> LILO has to use services provided by your system BIOS to load the Linux
> kernel.  These services date back to the early PC and were not designed
> to deal with large disks (i.e. ones with more than 1024 cylinders).  LBA
> (Logical Block Addressing) is a way of fooling the BIOS into seeing
> larger disks by lying about the number of heads and cylinders a disk
> has.  Usually the mode for the disk (linear, LBA, etc.) is controlled in
> the BIOS on the system, along with the other parameters for your hard
> disk(s) - messing with this can be a bad idea if you don't know what you
> are doing.  IIRC, changing the disk mode will force you to repartition
> and reformat the disk you changed (and thus destroy any data on the
> disk)...

Never has meant that for me.  U can switch between CHS or LBA with no
major change to a drive, or even any damage.. But set the mode to either
LBA or AUTO and repartiion your drive so that /boot is below 1024th
cylinder. THis will help things along.

------------------------------

From: "vinayi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems installing new PCMCIA card
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:33:32 -0700
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware

Hello

 installing Quatech's PCD2-F/PCI PCMCIA card drive.
OS : Linux Redhat 7.1; PC : Dell Precision Workstation 400

While starting pcmcia module .. getting following message :
Starting PCMCIA services: modules cardmgr.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 01:0a.0. Please try
using pci=biosirq.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 01:0a.1. Please try
using pci=biosirq.
Yenta IRQ list 0000, PCI irq0
Socket status: 30000006
Yenta IRQ list 0000, PCI irq0
Socket status: 30000006

When a card is inserted in the socket, system crashes.

lsmod :
 Module                  Size  Used by
ds                      7280   2
yenta_socket           11440   2
pcmcia_core            43072   0  [ds yenta_socket]
autofs                 11264   1  (autoclean)
3c59x                  25344   1  (autoclean)
ipchains               38976   0  (unused)

thanks,
-Vinay

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Reza Naima)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.security,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: OPENSSH   sftp   HELP PLEaSE!!!
Date: 19 May 2001 23:58:14 -0700

It'll be easier to setup an HTTPS server to serve the files, along
with some form of authenication.  If you must use FTP, you'll have to
setup tunnels at both ends -- I've heard good things about stunnle but
havn't used it myself.

Reza

news:<YdDM6.1725$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 10:26:10 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi card help?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> does anyone know anything about adaptec's 1535 scsi card? is it
> supported by linux? adaptec itself does not even have any info on it
> other than it was mfg for another company ( i am thinking
> compact ). anyway i have been looking for any info but have not found
> any myself.  any help is appreciated. thanks

The SuSE CDB says it's supported since kernel 2.0.30.

The driver is called: aha152x

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: destination host unreachable
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 06:57:26 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>juel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:24:7A:4F:7E
>>           inet addr:192.168.1.11  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

Uh, there's absolutely no traffic on that card, which either means that
the settings are incorrect, or the card is listening to the wrong
connector (assuming both the card and the wiring are OK).

[...]

>What is the card? It is strange that it is on IRQ 5. That is normally a
>soundcard IRQ,

Depends.

>and an ISA IRQ practically always. ISA NICs are
>practically unavailable,

[...]

Huh? Please don't try to tell this to the pile of NICs laying
around on my shelves...

:-)

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 06:59:12 GMT

juel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>After a ping to 192.168.1.1 ifconfig reports

>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:24:7A:4F:7E
>          inet addr:192.168.1.11  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:6
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:252 (252.0 b)
>          Interrupt:5 Base address:0x220

6 packets sent, none received.

>lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>          RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>          RX bytes:1092 (1.0 Kb)  TX bytes:1092 (1.0 Kb)

>I do have a soundblaster installed ( awe32 ) but it's on irq 6 io 210,

[...]

That's impossible. IRQ6 is the interrupt of the floppy controller,
and can not be assigned to any other device.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest