Linux-Setup Digest #296, Volume #21              Thu, 24 May 01 12:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Any X-Clients available , which can run from windows can contact the linux
boxes? (Rod Smith)
  Can't use lilo?? ("6*ping")
  How To Share Network Connections Among 3 Machines? ("Jason Ng")
  Re: Any X-Clients available , which can run from windows can contact the linux
boxes? ("Frank Hollmann")
  Re: help: Undefined reference to '...' ("Paul Dragicevich")
  reference please (Jared Manning)
  Re: linux freezing (Hajo Drescher)
  Re: How To Share Network Connections Among 3 Machines? (Dean Thompson)
  Montego and sndconfig problems with 'make' (LRW)
  Re: Resizing existing ext2 fs (David)
  Re: Setup problem with Win98 (MBM777)
  Re: rpms trip on funky libraries ("nemo")
  Q: changing user in init.d startup script (Joseph Delaney)
  Re: How To Share Network Connections Among 3 Machines? (Dave Reader)
  Re: linux on large hard drive (Eugene Lee)
  @Home setup SO SLOW (LRW)
  Re: Security Testing ("Michael Pye")
  Re: Security Testing ("Michael Pye")
  Re: how to install 2 mouse!!! (Travis Hein)
  Re: lilo hangs on boot (J Hayward)
  Logitech optical wheel mouse (Travis Hein)
  Re: Sort of urgent: Recreating boot disk (Leonard Evens)
  Re: can't compile qt-2.3.0 with -xft. Why? (Jürgen Diez)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Any X-Clients available , which can run from windows can contact the
linux boxes?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:12:47 -0000

[Posted and mailed]

In article <01052418120300.02657@cheluvi>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("v.nagasrinivas") writes:
> Hi,
>         I am running SuSE6.3 linux, its there in the LAN with KDE.
> But from windows , doing through telnet VT100 terminal emulation
> is bit painful ( not handy).
>         Like recently i saw windows Terminal Emulators for 2000,
> like that any good X-clients available , which can run
> from windows boxes, and should emulate the screen like KDE or
> good graphical usage with mouse...

Actually, what you want is an X *SERVER* for Windows, not an X client.
(X clients are the programs that display information; X servers provide
a screen, keyboard, and mouse for X programs.) I believe there's a port
of XFree86 to Windows, but the last I checked it was pretty crude. Check
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/ for more information. The best
"bang for the buck" I've found in Windows X servers is Xmanager
(http://www.netsarang.com/products/xmanager.html). This product is $69
and does a remarkably good job, in my experience. You can try an
evaluation version. MicroImages has a comparison chart with links to
many others at http://www.microimages.com/mix/prices.htm. (They have one
for $25, but I've not used the 3.0 version, only older 1.x versions, and
they were pretty minimal.)

Another option is to use VNC
(http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html). This doesn't use X
protocols for the Windows/Linux communication. Instead, it runs a
custom X server on the Linux box. This server doubles as a VNC server
to which a VNC client on the Windows box connects. VNC's biggest
advantage in this context is that it's free (GPLed, IIRC). It can also
be used to control Windows from Linux. VNC tends to be slower and have
more glitches than the better X servers, though.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: "6*ping" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't use lilo??
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:18:22 +0800

I have install the mandrake 8.0
I have a few problem I don't know is it normal that my
linux loader come with mandrake is a text mode one??
e.g. when turn on the computer the lilo look like the following

linux       failsafe     window
boot:                       <=i have to KEY IN what OS i want
                                   and lilo with no echo the character i
enter

Is mandrake on lilo like that of Redhat, only choose by arrow
button?? Or is it my linux problem??

Besides, I can only enter linux(in hda8) but cna't enter
windows(in hda1) when choose in lilo??

What the problems??

thanks!!!!

------------------------------

From: "Jason Ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: How To Share Network Connections Among 3 Machines?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:15:10 +0800

Hi all,

I have just installed Redhat 7.1 (with kernel 2.4.2) in my machine with 3
network cards.
One of the network card (say eth0) is connected to the Internet through
PPPoE and I would like to use the other network cards (eth1 and eth2) to
share this connection with other 2 machines running Linux and Windows.

However, I don't know how to setup iptables or ipchains in order to finish
the task.

I tried the following commands:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Yes, it works for my second network card (eth1). I can share the connection
with the machine connected to this network card.
But I don't know how to setup the third one (eth2). Does anyone know how?

The IP addresses of eth1 and eth2 are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
respectively.

I can't even ping 192.168.1.2 from the machine (with IP address 192.168.1.5)
connected to eth2 although I can ping 192.168.1.5 from my Linux machine
using the command:

ping -I eth2 192.168.1.5

I would be grateful if anyone can help me to solve this problem.

Regards,
Jason

------------------------------

From: "Frank Hollmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
linux boxes?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:16:03 +0200

Hi,

try oout "putty". The url is:

regards

frank

------------------------------

From: "Paul Dragicevich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help: Undefined reference to '...'
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:26:35 +0800
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps

it might help if you posted your source, if it's not too big.

------------------------------

From: Jared Manning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: reference please
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:42:08 GMT

can someone point me to an web page or some online reference i can use
for setting up an ftp and/or a telnet daemon for mandrake 7.2?

thanks for any help!

------------------------------

From: Hajo Drescher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux freezing
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:48:50 -0400

Hi again,

I found something, related t the apm stuff:
try to reboot with
  linux apm=off
on the lilo command line.
It seems to work for me, I havn't had a crash
since 24 hour, which was rare!
Tell me what it does.

hajo

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 23:47:47 +1000

Hi!,

[Note: Follow-ups have been set to comp.os.linux.networking]

> I have just installed Redhat 7.1 (with kernel 2.4.2) in my machine with 3
> network cards. One of the network card (say eth0) is connected to the
> Internet through PPPoE and I would like to use the other network cards
> (eth1 and eth2) to share this connection with other 2 machines running
> Linux and Windows.
>
> However, I don't know how to setup iptables or ipchains in order to finish
> the task.
>
> I tried the following commands:
>
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

You should have eth0 instead of ppp0.  This is your outbound ethernet
connection isn't it, or is your ppp0 interface the magic output.

> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Additionally, make sure that you have activated the ip forwarding in the
/etc/sysctl.conf file.  Make sure that you have the IP forwarding and IP
Defagging options open as well.

> Yes, it works for my second network card (eth1). I can share the connection
> with the machine connected to this network card.
> But I don't know how to setup the third one (eth2). Does anyone know how?
>
> The IP addresses of eth1 and eth2 are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
> respectively.
>
> I can't even ping 192.168.1.2 from the machine (with IP address
> 192.168.1.5) connected to eth2 although I can ping 192.168.1.5 from my
> Linux machine using the command:

This is of some concern, that you are having problems with the ping.  How are
the machines connected to your network cards.  Are you using cross-over cables
between the machine and the eth1 and eth2 interfaces or is it the standard
RJ45 cable ?

Remember, that direct machine connections should be using a cross-over cable
as opposed to the standard direct cable.

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

------------------------------

From: LRW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Montego and sndconfig problems with 'make'
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:55:21 -0500

I have a Turtle Beach Montego II sound card (yeah yeah I know.)
And I found drivers for Aureal Vortex 2 which is supposed to support the
Montego II.
When I untar'ed them, I get an asp10.o and an asp30.o.
The instructions say to 'make install', but when I do that all I get is
an error:
***No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.
I've read elsewhere that people have used 'make rebuild' or 'make
rebuild10' but I get the same thing.

Any ideas about that? I have every development package installed that my
RedHat 6.2 came with.

On a side note, when it comes to configuring the settings, under Windows
my card has one set of IRQ and DMA etc, but it also has a SoundBlaster
Emulation in devices with a different set of IRQ and DMA. What's up with
that? Which should I use when it comes time to tell Linux?

Thanks!!!
Liam

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Resizing existing ext2 fs
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:05:36 GMT

Peet Grobler wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I need to split my current /dev/sda1 into two partitions, /dev/sda1 and
> /dev/sda2. Problem is - all the space is allocated (in the partition table)
> to sda1. Is there a non-destructive way of doing this?
>
> E.g ->
> 1) Resize /dev/sda1 fs to half its size
> 2) Edit the partition table to reflect above change
> 3) Allocate new partition in partition table
> 4) Create fs on /dev/sda2.
>
> How possible is this, and what tools should I use? I don't mind downtime
> (re-starting, etc), though I don't want to re-install the whole system from
> backups.
>
> Any advice?

Try a search at http://www.google.com/linux/  for a program named
"parted". It should do what you are wanting.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.216% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MBM777)
Date: 24 May 2001 14:21:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Setup problem with Win98

I installed Linux RH 7 on a 40 Gig drive that had Win98 already.  I had to
shrink the C: partition to less that 8 Gig, then install Linux, and added
another Win partition behind.  It seemed that the Linux boot partition had to
be within  the first 8 Gig or LILO would not be able to boot it.  Maybe there's
a better way, but this worked for me.

-Maury

------------------------------

From: "nemo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rpms trip on funky libraries
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:25:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Michael Heiming"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> nemo wrote:
>>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I'm finding it impossible to install anything rpms without getting
>> 'failed dependency' errors. I can overcome the errors by using --force
>> or --nodeps and 9 times out of 10, that works. The required objects are
>> installed.
>>
>> Also, sometimes newly installed programs are failing to find required
>> libraries even though the libraries are in fact installed.
>>
>> These may be two separate problems, I don't know. I've tried 'rpm
>> --rebuilddb' and I've run ldconfig but to no avail.
>>
>> I'm running Mandrake 7.2 and I just did a very tricky update to
>> KDE-2.1.1
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> (where I did a _lot_ of --forcing and --nodeps-ing.
>
> Puh, sounds for me more as if you mucked up your system horrible.

Sounds drastic!

> Did you check "man ldconfig" and edited /etc/ld.so.conf accordingly?

I've run ldconfig but I've just started to revise ld.so.conf. I'll see if
that fixes things.

Thanks for the tips!

> However, I would backup important stuff and install from scratch.

I think I can still avoid this! Not really an option right now because of
some time pressures but I'm not sure it's necessary, stuff is
funcitioning fine otherwise.

> Good luck
>
> Michael Heiming

Thanks!

F.
     Felmon John Davis
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     os/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

------------------------------

From: Joseph Delaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: changing user in init.d startup script
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:29:16 -0400

How do you change the user that a owns  a process that loads during the
server startup?

I am trying to start up JRun for serving Java Server Pages, but using
the default script that JRun puts into /etc/init.d causes JRun to run as
a root process. Since we are using JRun to write files submitted through
HTML forms, the files then have root ownership. This is annoying at
least, and I'm afraid it could potentially be used as a security breach.

So I modified the startup script to su to another user when starting
JRun. This works if I manually call the script, but if I restart the
server JRun starts with root ownership again. This is the command I
used:

su --command="/opt/JRun/bin/jrun -start" -m username

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

------------------------------

From: Dave Reader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 24 May 2001 14:57:51 GMT

Note: follow-ups trimmed

In uk.comp.os.linux Jason Ng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The IP addresses of eth1 and eth2 are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
> respectively.

that is nonsense. why do you want two cards on one network?[1]

if you must have two "point-to-point" ethernet connections for your
machines, instead of using a hub, then give them seperate network numbers.

you might choose 192.168.1.0/24 for one and 192.168.2.0/24 for the other.

> I can't even ping 192.168.1.2 from the machine (with IP address 192.168.1.5)
> connected to eth2 although I can ping 192.168.1.5 from my Linux machine
> using the command:

> ping -I eth2 192.168.1.5

> I would be grateful if anyone can help me to solve this problem.

type 'route -n' or 'netstat -r -n' and see if you can spot it.

dave.

[1] you don't. you have misunderstood something fundamental to IP
neworking.

------------------------------

From: Eugene Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux on large hard drive
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 11:01:47 -0400

I am also aware of the 1024 cylinders limit.  the boot partition is
within this limit.

------------------------------

From: LRW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: @Home setup SO SLOW
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:26:38 -0500

I'd ask the @Home newsgroups, unfortunately you have to be connected to
@Home to access their newsgroups, and the following problem is
preventing me from doing so. =P

I can get connected to the @Home service, and can even ping out and
resolve addresses, etc, but my x-fer rate is no more than about 2kbps!
And stalls out constantly.

There's a GREAT reference page at
http://members.home.net/randal.leavitt/CableModemConnectionNotes.html
which I followed, but it doesn't help.
No change in performance from when all I had was a host name a default
gateway to when I put in all the rest of the info.

Can anyone who has a good connection using cable modem give me some
pointers?
Like for Host, go ahead and use the full c123456-a.xxxx.mo.home.com or
just use c123456-a, use DHCP or BOOTP, etc.
There are some odd discrepancies too. My IPCOFIG /ALL under WIndows
(before Windows crashed) gave me my default gateway etc...and it ends in
a .1. But the network settings has my domain set as ending in .0 and no
way to change it.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any pointers from anyone regarding this.
Thanks!!!
Liam

------------------------------

From: "Michael Pye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Security Testing
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:32:13 +0100

"Dan Hobbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> Do not confuse hacker with cracker.  A hacker, old school, will tell you
> every possible way to mess up your box, show you how to plug it and will
> not screw with anything you have not given explicit permission to screw
> with.

True, but if I publish my details they become public. I can't write "hackers
only" on it, and there is no way to vet a hacker I have never met...

Good honest hackers are hard to come by. Or you can't tell...

MP

------------------------------

From: "Michael Pye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:33:23 +0100

"John Hasler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> If the machine is there, so is the temptation (For crackers, that is.
> Hackers do not engage in such stupidities).

Yeah, but drawing attention to the fact that I have a box with publicly
visible IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which hasn't had proper security testing is
probably to sensible. I don't know who will read it...

MP

------------------------------

From: Travis Hein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to install 2 mouse!!!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:53:53 +0000

be careful doing this, make a backup of the file first, but  redhat usually
uses a file in the sys V init script to launch GPM
/etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm

find this file.
You will have to modify it, in the start section, look for the line that
loads gpm
it may say something like
gpm -t $MOUSETYPE -m $MOUSEDEV

the $MOUSETYPE and $MOUSEDEV are loaded from some redhat config script,
referenced earlier in the gpm file.

now, what I did, was replace this line with the following.
gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux -M -t imps2 -m /dev/usbmouse

what this does, is set up gpm to recognize two device (the -M means second
device support, apparently, you can chain these)

the first mouse is my ps2 mouse, on the ps2 port
specified by -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux

the second mouse is my 2 button usb mouse
specified by -t imps2 -m /dev/usbmouse

now, you will have to change these parameters to reflect your system.

hope this helps
Travis

"Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za> wrote:

> I'm just curious...
>
> What the hell do you want to do with 2 mouses? (mice?)

Well, I have one of these airboard keyboards with a mouse built on it, and
sometimes I like to use instead of my real mouse.

------------------------------

From: J Hayward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo hangs on boot
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:48:02 -0700

Hello,

You don't say what linux distro/version you are using, but RedHat 7.x will
allow booting above the 1024 cylinder by adding(without the quotes) "lba32"
to your /etc/lilo.conf file. I believe you must have lilo version newer
then 21.4.1 to support booting above the 1024 cylinder. /sbin/lilo -V will
tell you what version is installed on your system.

Regards,
        Jim H

------------------------------

From: Travis Hein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logitech optical wheel mouse
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 11:03:42 +0000

I have the logitech optical wheel mouse, supporting USB or PS/2 connection.
It worked for about a day on USB, for some reason does not work at all, get
messages about can not connect device, possible cable bad.

(any suggestions on this would be helpful)

I gave up, and hooked it to PS/2 port.
The mouse works fine in gpm and X, but the wheelie toes not work.

I am looking for a way to enable the wheel function in PS/2 mode for X
windows applications, running KDE 2.1 as window manager.

For some reason, in XF86Config, the Protocol=ImPS/2 does not work at all
pleeease help.

Travis

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Sort of urgent: Recreating boot disk
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:05:21 -0500

michael james obrien wrote:

> Michael Pye ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : OK, I ran LILO from a floppy because the linux partition on my disk falls at
> : about 12GB, too large for my BIOS to boot to it...
>
> : The disk is (physically) buggered. No, I don't have a rescue disk, but I do
> : have another functioning Linux machine and windows 98 on the machine with
> : the buggered disk.
>
> : I also have a boot disk (unnecessary) for the other machine. The two
> : machines run (very) different systems, the unbootable one is Redhat 7.0 the
> : other is Redhat 5 WITHOUT the 2.2.2 kernel update. Is there any way I can
> : rebuild my LILO disk?
>
> : Thanks
>
> : MP
>
> Get the redhat install disk.  Put it in the machine you need a boot disk
> for.  at the LILO prompt type
> linux root=/dev/hda2 ro
>
> substitute whatever partition your root partition is on for hda2.
>
> Should get you into your system.  Then you can make a new boot floppy (see
> man lilo for command line options).
>
> -Michael

The command is mkbootdisk and the man page tells you how to use it.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: can't compile qt-2.3.0 with -xft. Why?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jürgen Diez)
Date: 24 May 2001 16:07:07 GMT

I've no old qt installation on my system.
i've a symlink /usr/local/qt -> /usr/local/qt-2.3.0
libqt.so points to /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.so.2.3.0
and $QTDIR is also set correctly

--
*** email: replace '-antispam-' by 'uni' ***

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest