Linux-Setup Digest #299, Volume #21              Fri, 25 May 01 02:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  broken ppp (dekcarc)
  Re: Partion problems.... ("Christopher Fairbairn")
  Re: ssh client under linux (MING JIANG)
  Gnome Theme Selector (Steve Kanady)
  Gnome Acting Up ("Casely Schandorf")
  shared IRQ ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Connection through (Freesco-)router (Huub)
  howto move the errors from gcc to a file? (David. E. Goble)
  Forget LILO and use grub on mandrake 7.0 ("mike")
  fonts (jack)
  Samba Printing! ("Eric Chow")
  how to install licq (sentlon)
  Re: linux book (Big Al)
  Re: howto move the errors from gcc to a file? (Robert Denham)
  Re: Connection through (Freesco-)router (Dean Thompson)
  Re: Connection through (Freesco-)router (Dean Thompson)
  Re: @Home setup SO SLOW (Neil Cherry)
  Re: Connection through (Freesco-)router (Huub)
  How to setup the windows shared printer on my linux Box? ("v.nagasrinivas")
  Re: howto move the errors from gcc to a file? ("Cindy Brady")

From: dekcarc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: broken ppp
Date: 25 May 2001 02:36:55 GMT

big problems getting ppp to work over here...could use some help at this
point (10+ hours put into this so far).  i upgraded pppd to 2.4.0 and went
to compile kernel 2.4.4 (up from 2.2.16).  when that was done, i went to
dialup to my isp with wvdial (like i've been doing for at least a year).
it dials, connects, and the second pppd launches, disconnects.  syslog
puts this into /var/log/messages:

/usr/lib/passwordfd.so: undefined symbol: chap_passwd_hook
Couldn't load plugin /usr/lib/passwordfd.so

...any ideas?  i managed to find lots of other people having this same
problem (through dejanews), but none of them had come up with a solution
that would work for me (or for them).  basically it seems most people have
concluded that wvdial simply "isn't compatible" with pppd 2.4.0.  so i
tried kppp instead of wvdial, and it dials, connects, and goes into a loop
displaying this error over and over:

Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

...no idea there.  and the same situation with dejanews...i found others
having the same problem/error with kppp, with some followups suggesting
various "solutions" that don't really have much to do with the problem.

i went back to my old kernel (2.2.16) and wvdial misbehaves the same as
under 2.4.4.  kppp, though, reports "this kernel has no ppp support" with
2.2.16.  no idea there, since i was using that kernel for at least a year
no problem.  i'm dialing up with a usr analog modem (not winmodem).  ppp
support and support for async serial lines is enabled in my config for
kernel 2.4.4.  my system is suse 7.0.  i'm open to suggestions.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Fairbairn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partion problems....
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:08:27 +1200

Hi,

> It is possible that DOS/Windows has made some damage to hdb, but of
> cause the problem can have other causes.

If the drive is damaged - ie messed partion table etc, how would I still be
able to read from the partitions? I've check most of the files which are
easily checkable, and all the configuration files, my source code etc seems
to be readable, and still contains the proper contents etc.

/dev/hda is simply a single 40gb FAT32 partition.

Any ideas on what I could try next? Or should I just bite the bullet and
reinstall Linux + restore from my backups? As I said fsck doesn't complain
at all when scanning these partitions, which makes me think that it is
something else......

If I do reinstall, what should I do to make sure this problem doesn't occur
again? What I did when I installed the present Linux paritions was as
follows:

Left /dev/hda totally alone (it already had Win2K Pro on it...)

Made four paritions on /dev/hdb - one mounted as /boot, one mounted as /, a
Linux Swap partition and one NTFS partition which I used for win2k. Lilo was
placed on /dev/hdb and my BIOS configuration modified to attempt to boot in
the order of A:,D:,C:

I didn't do anything about primary/logical paritions and in fact I don't
quite understand them that well......

If I do the same type of install won't I eventually get into the same
problem?

This setup had been working totally fine for about 2 months, them one day,
BANG, it stopped working.... It wasn't like I booted into Windows for the
first time after installing Linux and then problems occurred.... I've booted
into Windows, restarted booted back into Linux (where my system stays most
of the time) quite a lot.... I don't think it's something with Windows
screwing around with the partition table.

Thanks,
Christopher Fairbairn.

------------------------------

From: MING JIANG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ssh client under linux
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 22:53:15 -0400

Thank you all for your help. Now I got the message:

Received disconnect from 128.163.215.188: 2: Bad packet length
800593528

And I still can't log in.

------------------------------

From: Steve Kanady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gnome Theme Selector
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:23:22 -0700

My problem is that I can switch themes (in Gnome or KDE) but I am unable
to install new themes.   I double click on the tar ball of the new theme
(this is what the instructions say to do) and nothing happens.  On
properly.  Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: "Casely Schandorf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gnome Acting Up
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 23:37:43 -0400

Even as I write this I'm starting another install of RedHat 7.1. My problem
is that after installation, the gnome taskbar doesn't show at the bottom of
the screen. This has forced me to constantly use KDE instead. I just wanted
to find out whether anyone else was experiencing simillar problems and
whether there are any documented solutions.

Any help will be appreciated.

Casely

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: shared IRQ
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:18:58 GMT

Examining my kernel bootup messages, I noticed this:

PCI:  Found IRQ 10 for device 00:09.0
PCI:  Found same IRQ used for device 00:07.2

I was aware of this under windows, the devices are my sound card and
modem, and I'd been having trouble with them, though things are fine
now.  Considering they are both PNP devices, what is the best way to
deal with this situation?

------------------------------

From: Huub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Connection through (Freesco-)router
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 06:22:40 +0200

Hi Dean,

I've setup the router with 2 nic's: the 1st with the ISP-specifications for
connection to the modem. This connection works fine, since I can ping the DNS. The
2nd nic has the specifications for my own network and is connected to my hub.
Works fine as well, since I can ping the router from every pc in the network.

> The first thing that you need to do is make sure that the Freesco router is
> setup to perform IP forwarding for you.

I'm not sure what you mean. In the Freesco-manual everything is rather
straightforward and there's no mention of IP-forwarding (as far as I understand)
May be you can check it: www.freesco.com

> There should be an option within the
> system to enable it.  Additionally, you may also have to specify a ipchains
> statement (although I am not sure whether the Freesco) can do all of this for
> you automatically.

I have NAT/Firewalling enabled.

>  use the network card for the local LAN in the router as its gateway
> address.

You mean that the gateway address for the network-pc's is the adress of the nic in
the router which is connected to the hub instead of  ISP given gateway-address.
(But I thought I tried that as well...)

Thank you

Huub

------------------------------

From: goble@gtech (David. E. Goble)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: howto move the errors from gcc to a file?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:33:33 GMT

Hi all;

I am just beginning to try programming in linux (redhat).

My problem is when I use gcc ...etc it produces a scolling list of
errors. How can I move or pipe the errors to a file. ie something like

        gcc -o hello.c > error.txt?

------------------------------

From: "mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Forget LILO and use grub on mandrake 7.0
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 23:17:34 -0700

i need information on using grub as my os loader... i am running win98 and
linux just fine, if i use a boot disk... lilo apparently has a problem with
LBA and partitions over 8GB... something about 1024 sectors :) any way i am
still new to the linux game so insalling a new boot loader is a little over
my head... instructions, links, downloads, or docs please... i am not afraid
to read, or ruin my computer:) but i need help...

------------------------------

From: jack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fonts
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:35:20 -0400

when i open up text files in some kind of editor (or through my browser)
or type in a text box (such as my letter composer in hotmail) it displays
in some really awful font.  the font doesn't display words well and just
uses spaces for any type of punctuation.  i think it may be a KDE thing,
but i have no idea how to change it.

if anyone has any idea's, please let me know.

thanks.

jack

------------------------------

From: "Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba Printing!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:34:48 +0800

Hello,

I modify the /etc/printcap as following :
hp6l|lp:\
        :cm=HP LaserJet 6L:\
        :lp=/dev/hp6l:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp6l:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/hp6l/acct:\
        :mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/bin/smbprint:

When I use lpr to print a file. It seems that no response to the Printer but
had no errors.
Do I need mount the Windows Printer first ? How to mount it ? Would you
please to teach me ?
I have read the SMB-HOWTO, but still not understand.

How should I do if I want to print file to Windows Printer in Linux
environment through Samba ?

Best regards,
Eric

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:41:14 +0800
From: sentlon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to install licq

i have download licq-1.03.tar.gz , but dont know how to install .
please, help me ~~~

------------------------------

From: Big Al <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux book
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:21:56 GMT

root wrote:

> based on the amazon reviews of this book, it's a good one.  i was just
> wondering if anyone here had this book and what they think of it?
>
> thanks for any responses!
>
> LINUX the Complete Reference (With CD-ROM)
> by Richard Petersen
WEll depending on your level, I would pass. I am a novice and do not
like the way it is set up on any topic. If you are looking for a hint on
a keyword or command, It might be ok. I would look elsewhere to learn
Linux.
Big Al in Seattle

------------------------------

From: Robert Denham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: howto move the errors from gcc to a file?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:52:33 +1000

You can redirect the stderr in bash like this:
gcc hello.c -o hello 2> errors.txt

You might like to try writing your code using an editor like emacs or
xemacs.  This allows you to compile the code, showing the errors and
allowing you to locate the errors in the source file.  There is access to
debuggers too.  Others will no doubt suggest other alternatives,
experiment a bit to find what suits you.

Robert Denham

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:52:55 +1000

Hi!,

> I've setup the router with 2 nic's: the 1st with the ISP-specifications for
> connection to the modem. This connection works fine, since I can ping the
> DNS. The 2nd nic has the specifications for my own network and is connected
> to my hub. Works fine as well, since I can ping the router from every pc in
> the network.
>
> > The first thing that you need to do is make sure that the Freesco router
> is setup to perform IP forwarding for you.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. In the Freesco-manual everything is rather
> straightforward and there's no mention of IP-forwarding (as far as I
> understand) May be you can check it: www.freesco.com

I'll check it out.

>>There should be an option within the system to enable it.  Additionally,
>>you may also have to specify a ipchains statement (although I am not sure
>>whether the Freesco) can do all of this for you automatically.
>
> I have NAT/Firewalling enabled.
>
>>use the network card for the local LAN in the router as its gateway
>>address.
>
> You mean that the gateway address for the network-pc's is the adress of the
> nic in the router which is connected to the hub instead of  ISP given
> gateway-address. (But I thought I tried that as well...)

Yes, the machines which you want to connect to the internet must use the IP
address of the local NIC inside your gateway machine as their gateway
address.  As a result, if your private network is 192.168.x.y, the machines
must use the IP address of the NIC inside the router which has an address like
192.168.x.y.

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:15:06 +1000

Hi Huub,

> I've setup the router with 2 nic's: the 1st with the ISP-specifications for
> connection to the modem. This connection works fine, since I can ping the
> DNS. The 2nd nic has the specifications for my own network and is connected
> to my hub. Works fine as well, since I can ping the router from every pc in
> the network.

You might want to take a look at the following URL's as well:

http://www.fromscratch.org.uk/Text_Windows.html

I am not sure whether Freesco still supports the good old text windows these
days.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: @Home setup SO SLOW
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 05:19:36 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 13:32:24 -0500, LRW wrote:
>Obviously the IP and the x's in domain are changed and I'll use mine,
>but where you have "files" it actually says "files"?

Yes, the nsswitch.conf is exactly the way it is on my machine (I
edit'd it manually).

>I'm not in front of the machine in question to look at it, but shouldn't
>there be more under hosts at least? Or whatabout where you put in your
>host name (c12345-a) or IP? Don't you need the host name somewhere
>whether you're static or DHCP?

My /etc/hosts file is very large but the single entry looks like this:

24.2.89.230    AB12345-A.x.yy.home.com AB12345-A

I'm static.

Using Linuxconf may help (it's on your system), but then you'll have
to play with the client setting under network (and figure out where
everything is).

--
Linux Home Automation           Neil Cherry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/ncherry                         (Text only)

------------------------------

From: Huub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:39:28 +0200

Hi Dean,

Thank you...I'll check this out directly...might help..but takes some time...

Huub

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("v.nagasrinivas")
Subject: How to setup the windows shared printer on my linux Box?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 05:41:52 +0000 (UTC)

Hi ,

             My linux box is in Windows 2000 , NT lan network.
I have a printer on windows 2000, shared .
How can use that printer from my linux box, How to configure.

Could any one help me Out?

thanks,
srinivas
--
v.naga srinivas
YVL SoftwareConsultancy,

--
Posted from ns.stph.net [196.12.32.2]

------------------------------

From: "Cindy Brady" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:07:17 +1000

What I like to do is:

 gcc -o hello hello.c 2>&1 | head -18

which only shows the first 18 lines of output. Having hundreds of error
messages can get a bit demoralising and will often find that fixing the
first few errors will eliminate many of the following errors anyway.

Love, Cindy.

"David. E. Goble" <goble@gtech> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi all;
>
> I am just beginning to try programming in linux (redhat).
>
> My problem is when I use gcc ...etc it produces a scolling list of
> errors. How can I move or pipe the errors to a file. ie something like
>
> gcc -o hello.c > error.txt?

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest