Linux-Setup Digest #302, Volume #21              Fri, 25 May 01 13:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: install a HP6L LaseJet printer. (Russell Perkins)
  Redhat 7.1:  Where is bootpd? ("Brenden Towey")
  Re: Redhat 7.1:  Where is bootpd? (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?=)
  Re: computer freezes once a day (Hajo Drescher)
  Re: BIOS Operating System (BIOSOS) (long). (John Brock)
  Re: ssh client under linux (Vilmos Soti)
  Trouble Upgrading RPM in RH6.2 (Rand Simberg)
  Re: samba and password usage (Axel Bergerhoff)
  how to copy all outgoing mail to an local acc.??? thank you ("chris")
  Re: Some partition shuffling, help needed! (Axel Bergerhoff)
  Re: howto move the errors from gcc to a file? (Adam Fineman)
  Re: Does anybody have Tripwire working on RH 7.1? (Jason Priebe)
  Re: Trouble Upgrading RPM in RH6.2 (J Hayward)
  How To Set The Swap size ? ("yotam")
  Re: Trouble Upgrading RPM in RH6.2 (Rand Simberg)
  Re: How To Set The Swap size ?
  Re: help: Undefined reference to '...' (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Trouble Upgrading RPM in RH6.2 (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: can't compile qt-2.3.0 with -xft. Why? (Jürgen Diez)
  Loop root device - boot problems (Martin Herrmann)

From: Russell Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: install a HP6L LaseJet printer.
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:12:02 -0700

Eric Chow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Would you please to teach me how to install a HP 6L LaserJet Printer to
> Linux ?
>
> Would you please to teach me how I can just modify some config file to
> install it ?
>
> What config files fo I need to modify and what services do I need to restart
> ?
>
> I can use printtool to setup a printer, but I want to setup a new printer
> manually(modify config files).
> Please teach me and show me how, thanks a lot ?
>
> Best regards,
> Eric

No need to re-invent the wheel. Just run apsfilter and read the
documentation so you can setup printing in the apps you run....

------------------------------

From: "Brenden Towey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 7.1:  Where is bootpd?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:16:02 -0700

Hi all,

I got Redhat 7.1 installed on my old system, but I need a bootp service
(server, not client) to support legacy systems.

Does anyone know where the heck I could find the bootp deamon?  Redhat
binaries would be best (x86 CPU, o' course), but I'd settle for 2.4 kernel
compatible source.

Ideas?

------------------------------

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.1:  Where is bootpd?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:20:55 +0200

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Brenden Towey wrote:

> I got Redhat 7.1 installed on my old system, but I need a bootp service
> (server, not client) to support legacy systems.
>
> Does anyone know where the heck I could find the bootp deamon?  Redhat
> binaries would be best (x86 CPU, o' course), but I'd settle for 2.4 kernel
> compatible source.

I just checked and it does not seem to be there - and not on powerttools
either.

However dhcp should do the job for you.

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'Møffe' Bøg Hansen ] --------------------------------------
If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

------------------------------

From: Hajo Drescher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: computer freezes once a day
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:28:07 -0400

Hi,

thanks for your interest, but I think I found it:
I booted without the APM stuff with
  linux apm=off
on the lilo prompt, and since then no problem any more (at least for
three days by now...)
So it was not related to netscape but to APM
maybe in combination with the AMD processor. I searched the
web for this but I didn't find anything in particular.
thanks,
hajo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brock)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.arch,comp.os.misc,comp.os.msdos.misc
Subject: Re: BIOS Operating System (BIOSOS) (long).
Date: 25 May 2001 11:09:32 -0400

In article <9eee2r$d02$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Hermann Samso  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>        would be delightful to have a small Boot Up Operating System.
>
>        The Story:
>        Having just bought two second hand PCs, I had to realize
>        that they didn't have any Operating System installed, and
>        oh poor me! forgot to buy the last update/release of my
>        favourite OS (Linux/Windows/etc). What to do?
>
>        The Solution:
>        Not only for test reasons, but to really boot up a System
>        from scratch, it would be helpful to have a BIOS "glue"
>        or some other kind of ROM installed in everyday use PCs.
>       This would help mantain the System and also help in software
>       developement.
[...etc...]

I think this would be great, but since it would give the user a
lot more control over his system I think that Microsoft is unlikely
to allow it to happen.  In fact I'm not sure the hardware vendors
would have any interest even if it wasn't a problem for Microsoft.

A more practical approach would be to take your BIOSOS and put it
on a floppy disk, which would mean that you could boot it from
pretty much any PC available today, new or old.

A while ago I made a suggestion -- similar to yours -- on the
bug-grub list: I suggested that we need an open source "Disk Manager"
which would handle the things you talk about and more.  The Disk
Manager would be small enough to live on a floppy, and among other
things would be able to create and resize partitions and install
itself in a primary partition where it would function as sort of
a super-LILO (which is why I was posting to the GRUB list).  I did
mention as part of my suggestion that some of this functionality
would be in the BIOS if things had been done properly from the start.

Anyway, if anyone wants to take a look at it, my suggestion is at

        http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-grub%40gnu.org/msg03485.html
--
John Brock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: ssh client under linux
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:31:17 GMT

MING JIANG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thank you all for your help. Now I got the message:
>
> Received disconnect from 128.163.215.188: 2: Bad packet length
> 800593528

I got similar messages (albeit with different number) when I tried
to connect to an sshd which was accepting only ssh V2 protocol and the
client was able to do only ssh V1 protocol.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Subject: Trouble Upgrading RPM in RH6.2
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:32:38 GMT

I'm trying to upgrade RPM from 3.0 to 4.0 in a 6.2 system, using the
downloads from the Red Hat site.  I'm running a 2.2.19 kernel that I
built myself.

I've installed the DB3 libraries, as the update page says, and run rpm
--rebuilddb.  This seemed to go without a hitch.

When I try to 'rpm ivh rpm*' I get a bunch of error messages about
header file conflicts.  What's the deal?  Is it because I'm using a
kernel from kernel.org instead of Red Hat's?

--
simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Replace first . with @ and throw out the "@trash." to email me.
Here's my email address for autospammers: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Axel Bergerhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba and password usage
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:55:00 +0100

I don't know if it's possible - I gave a free SSH client (PuTTY) to the users
to login to the linux box first and then change their password with smbpasswd.
You may look at
 http://www.freessh.org/
for clients.

Axel

------------------------------

From: "chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to copy all outgoing mail to an local acc.??? thank you
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 23:32:06 +0800

From: Axel Bergerhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some partition shuffling, help needed!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:01:18 +0100

You need to tell us about your partition types and where the OS's reside.

Axel

------------------------------

From: Adam Fineman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: howto move the errors from gcc to a file?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:11:39 -0400

Cindy Brady wrote:

> What I like to do is:
>
>  gcc -o hello hello.c 2>&1 | head -18
>
> which only shows the first 18 lines of output. Having hundreds of error
> messages can get a bit demoralising and will often find that fixing the
> first few errors will eliminate many of the following errors anyway.
>
> Love, Cindy.

Nice tip.  And I love the pigtails, baby. ;-)

--
Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Priebe)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Does anybody have Tripwire working on RH 7.1?
Date: 25 May 2001 09:07:35 -0700

"Kamil E" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<5p2M6.41954$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> I have been trying to use Tripwire 2.3.0.50 on RH 7.1
> I have set everything up to a point where I can run the tripwire check and
> view the reports locally, but the report is never sent out to the email
> address specified for each rule in the policy file, even though the email
> test works fine, and there are violations in the report that should trigger
> the emails.
>
> Second problem is the fact that I have specified GLOBALEMAIL parameter in
> the configuration file, and reports are sent out, (like the one below) but
> they are reporting no violations even though the email subject indicates 2
> violations in the shorthand format, and there are indeed violations in the
> original report files.
>
> Does anybody have Tripwire with email reporting working in RH 7.1, who has
> encountered similar problems?
> Any suggestions?
> Kamil

I have little to add, other than the fact that I'm seeing the
exact same problem.  Also, if I set MAILNOVIOLATIONS to "false", I
don't get any e-mail at all.

This table shows what happens depending on the settings of
MAILNOVIOLATIONS and whether or not tripwire finds any violations:

                |   MAILNOVIOLATIONS=true      |   MAILNOVIOLATIONS=false
No violations   |   empty console report       |   empty console report
  found by t.w. |   empty mail report          |   no mail report
Violations      |   console report lists       |   console report lists
  found by t.w. |     violations               |     violations
                |   mail report has violations |   no mail report
                |     in subject, but the      |
                |     report itself is empty   |

Jason Priebe
Mi-Co
http://www.mi-corporation.com/

------------------------------

From: J Hayward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble Upgrading RPM in RH6.2
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:06:31 -0700

Hello,

To upgrade rpm use:

rpm -Uvh rpm*

Using rpm -ivh rpm* will not overwrite existing files. You are trying to
install a second version of rpm. "i" = install. "U" = upgrade.

Regards,
        Jim H

From: "yotam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.certification.redhat,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: How To Set The Swap size ?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:04:13 +0200

I am using R.H 7 is it possible to change the swap size after installation ?
thanks in advance
Or  Freund .

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:18:55 GMT

On Fri, 25 May 2001 09:06:31 -0700, in a place far, far away, J
Hayward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made the phosphor on my

>Hello,
>
>To upgrade rpm use:
>
>rpm -Uvh rpm*
>
>Using rpm -ivh rpm* will not overwrite existing files. You are trying to
>install a second version of rpm. "i" = install. "U" = upgrade.

Thanks.  That worked better...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.certification.redhat,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: How To Set The Swap size ?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:24:35 GMT

On Fri, 25 May 2001 18:04:13 +0200, yotam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am using R.H 7 is it possible to change the swap size after installation ?
>thanks in advance
>Or  Freund .

boot in single user mode and run cfdisk.  However it's a bit primative.
I don't think you can resize partitions with deleting and recreating.

might even work

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: help: Undefined reference to '...'
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:34:42 GMT

"David. E. Goble" wrote:

> Hi All;
>
> I have redHat 6.2 (server install)
>
> I am trying to do some programming.
>
> Tried these two;
>
>         gcc testlibpq.c -I/usr/include/pgsql/ -L/usr/lib/
>
> and
>
>         gcc cube.cpp -I/usr/X11R6/include/ -L/usr/X11R6/lib/
>
> both produce a list of;
>
> .... Undefined reference to '...'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I understand this has something to do with linking...
>
> What am I doing wrong or not doing. Please I need step by step
> instruction, thanks.

Can't give you steps, but it sounds like you're forgetting
to add an explicit reference to a library (*.a) or an object
module (*.o) that contains the definition of the function
or global variable "collect2".  So the linker/loader (ld)
cannot find it.

    gcc testlibpq.c -I/usr/include/pgsql/ -L/usr/lib/ collect2.o

    gcc testlibpq.c -I/usr/include/pgsql/ -L/usr/lib/ mylibrary.a

I don't know what library/module collect2 would appear in.
Is an SQL thang?

Chris

--
Please enter your Message Activation
Code now to read this message

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:44:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg) writes:

> I'm trying to upgrade RPM from 3.0 to 4.0 in a 6.2 system, using the
> downloads from the Red Hat site.  I'm running a 2.2.19 kernel that I
> built myself.

Upgrade to 3.0.5 since that can also handle newer rpm packages.

Vilmos

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: can't compile qt-2.3.0 with -xft. Why?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jürgen Diez)
Date: 25 May 2001 16:58:49 GMT

>>don't know, where there should be my mistake
>Did you install freetype2 _before_ X???

yes, I did

--
*** email: replace '-antispam-' by 'uni' ***

------------------------------

From: Martin Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Loop root device - boot problems
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:57:04 +0200

Hi!

First, I'm not quite sure what is the right place to ask this question.
If this isn't, please give me a hint where to post it instead. Thanks.

I've got a problem with booting Linux.
I'm trying to boot using use a loop root device with Windows as
described in the Loopback Root Filesystem HOWTO. However, when I'm
trying to boot the system (with loadlin), it gives me the following
message:

(Message start)

Now reading INITRD:

Less than 4 MB of RAM.
 -- System halted.
(Message end)

My system is an Athlon 600 MHz with 192 MB of RAM.

I created the initrd file as described in the Loopback Root Filesystem
HOWTO, except I use 2048 KB instead of 1024 KB.
The following files are placed in the directory d:\linux

INITRDGZ.IMG (4.194.304 Bytes) - The initrd file
LINUXDSK.IMG (536.870.912 Bytes) - The partition file
LINUXSWP.IMG (67.108.864) - The swap file
LOOPLIN.BAT (101 Bytes) - A batch file to load the system (listed below

LOADLIN.EXE (32.208 Bytes) - Loadlin 1.6
zImage (591.163 Bytes) - The kernal zImage (2.2.17)

The contents of looplin.bat:
d:\linux\loadlin.exe d:\linux\zImage root=/dev/loop0 ro
initrd=d:\linux\initrdgz.img mem=0xc000000
(all on one single line)
The looplin.bat is called from autoexec.bat on startup (boot menu in
config.sys).

The linuxrc file on the initrd is exactly the same as in the HOWTO.

Any help is very much appreciated.

tia,
Martin
--
Sign the Linux Drivers Petition:
http://www.libranet.com/petition.html

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest