  RE: strange problem (Tiffany)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.mach,comp.os.magic-cap,comp.os.mdsos,comp.os.mdsos.programmer
Subject: AD : Multichannel OD Test Cards For Sale £25
Date: 27 May 2001 16:21:18 GMT

email for info

------------------------------

From: Ralph Mack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help building cdrtools - missing files?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 16:34:07 GMT

Hello again,

I need help to build the latest version of cdrecord, etc. on Red=20
Hat Linux 7.1. I think I need to do something to make Linux=20
generate a couple of .h files that cdrtools-1.11 requires.=20
Has anyone built cdrtools-1.10 or 1.11 successfully with RedHat=20
Linux 7.1 fresh out of the box?

The Red Hat 7.1 kernel already contains out of the box all of the=20
kernel features that I should need for using the new cdrecord with
my USB-based CD-RW drive, so I didn't have to build the kernel.

However, some of the files that cdrecord uses (e.g.=20
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h) make reference to other=20
include files (e.g. linux/version-up.h) that don't exist anywhere=20
on my system. Since I have almost the "kitchen sink" installed,
and since version.h refers to /boot/kernel.h to determine that
it needs to include linux/version-up.h, I begin to suspect that
the missing files may be files generated during a kernel rebuild.=20

Is there a way to build a kernel with a feature set that is=20
identical to what is already installed without my knowing every
nuance of what is currently installed? To the point where it would=20
be safe to use the include files generated for that kernel with=20
the existing kernel?=20

Ralph

------------------------------

From: Norbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card cmi8338 help
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 00:54:40 +0800

i need advice on  getting the sound card to work on RH7.1.  i'm running
on a integrated sound card m/board and comes with c-media cmi8338 chip.
linux managed to detect the card but no sound output during test.

any idea what's wrong or it just a compatibility problem.  anyone has
this experiece before....i am using the pcchip motherboard.

- i don't think a hardware problem as it works on my windows
.
thank you

bert.

------------------------------

Subject: configuring the modem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor S. Miller)
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 16:48:31 GMT

I'm running RH 7.0 on a Pentium MMX 166 Mhz.  I would like to use
minicom to communicate with some other computers which only have a
line at a time dial up interface.  I have a modem on COM2 which works
fine when I boot into Win 98.  So far I have been unsucessfull in get
anything to work with it in Linux.  The drivers are loaded (see this
except from dmesg):

Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

The modem should be a ttyS1.  However, when I use wvdialconf to probe
for a modem, it responds:

tyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.
Port Scan<*1>: S1   S2   S3   S4   S5   S6   S7   S8
Port Scan<*1>: S9   S10  S11  S12  S13  S14  S15  S16
Port Scan<*1>: S17  S18  S19  S20  S21  S22  S23  S24
Port Scan<*1>: S25  S26  S27  S28  S29  S30  S31  S32
Port Scan<*1>: S33  S34  S35  S36  S37  S38  S39  S40
Port Scan<*1>: S41  S42  S43  S44  S45  S46  S47  S48
Port Scan<*1>: S49  S50  S51  S52  S53  S54  S55  S56
Port Scan<*1>: S57  S58  S59  S60  S61  S62  S63  S64
Port Scan<*1>: S65  S66  S67  S68  S69  S70  S71  S72
Port Scan<*1>: S73  S74  S75  S76  S77  S78  S79  S80
Port Scan<*1>: S81  S82  S83  S84  S85  S86  S87  S88
Port Scan<*1>: S89  S90  S91  S92  S93  S94  S95  S96
Port Scan<*1>: S97  S98  S99  S100 S101 S102 S103 S104
Port Scan<*1>: S105 S106 S107 S108 S109 S110 S111 S112
Port Scan<*1>: S113 S114 S115 S116 S117 S118 S119 S120
Port Scan<*1>: S121 S122 S123 S124 S125 S126 S127 S128
Port Scan<*1>: S129 S130 S131 S132 S133 S134 S135 S136
Port Scan<*1>: S137 S138 S139 S140 S141 S142 S143 S144
Port Scan<*1>: S145 S146 S147 S148 S149 S150 S151 S152
Port Scan<*1>: S153 S154 S155 S156 S157 S158 S159 S160
Port Scan<*1>: S161 S162 S163 S164 S165 S166 S167 S168
Port Scan<*1>: S169 S170 S171 S172 S173 S174 S175 S176
Port Scan<*1>: S177 S178 S179 S180 S181 S182 S183 S184
Port Scan<*1>: S185 S186 S187 S188 S189 S190 S191 SI0
Port Scan<*1>: SI1  SI2  SI3  SI4  SI5  SI6  SI7  SI8
Port Scan<*1>: SI9  SI10 SI11 SI12 SI13 SI14 SI15 SR0
Port Scan<*1>: SR1  SR2  SR3  SR4  SR5  SR6  SR7  SR8
Port Scan<*1>: SR9  SR10 SR11 SR12 SR13 SR14 SR15 SR16
Port Scan<*1>: SR17 SR18 SR19 SR20 SR21 SR22 SR23 SR24

etc...

Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?

Please read the FAQ at http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial/

If you still have problems, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

And /etc/wvdial.conf is

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
SetVolume = 0
Dial Command = ATDT

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
SetVolume = 0
Dial Command = ATDT

I'm really puzzled.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get
my modem to work?

        Victor

------------------------------

From: Tiffany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: First Time Installing GNU/Linux
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 12:52:03 -0400

>===== Original Message From [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ashish G.) =====
<deletia>
>       I am new to Linux and Linux-like OSes so I want to load  Linux as a
>secondary OS, on the 4.3GB HDD and connect the HDD as a slave to the
>other HDD ( atleast till I get familiar with Linux). Please tell me
>how to go about it.

You can install the second hard disk drive and set the configuration jumpers
to 'slave mode' - assuming the disks are both [E]IDE.

Then you can boot-up the computer and using the GNU/Linux installation
diskettes or the CD-ROM begin the installation process.  I would recommend
the
Debian GNU/Linux distribution or one of the distributions geared towards to
GNU/Linux beginner.  RedHat is best avoided due to its bloat and frequent
tangents into their own world.

When prompted near the end of the installation process, select the option to
create a GNU/Linux root/boot disk rather than booting from the hard disk -
this is avoid any potential problems you might encounter trying to make the
system dual bootable until you gain more experience.

If you have an Internet connection, either dial-up or high-speed, I
recommend
you just fetch the installation diskette images from an ftp server
(ftp.debian.org) and then during the installation of the base system you can
select the ftp or preferable the apt method of installing the other
components
of the system.  If you need any further assistance you may email me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

TJB

------------------------------

From: Jimbo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel 2.4.5 on RH 6.2
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 18:50:13 +0200

Hi,

I'd like to install kernel 2.4.5 on RH 6.2 (upgrading from kernel
2.2.19).

After reading the documentations I upgraded some packages. There's one
I can't upgrade  "util-linux".

I found the tarball but it seems quite complicated to compile this
(i'm relatively new to Linux).

Does anyone has some hints or clues how I can upgrade this util-linux
without the tarball. (i've download the latest util-linux from
rawhide, but this one needs glibc-5 and another version of
ncurses...it seems quite a major impact to get this installed).

Any help welcome

Regards,

Koen

------------------------------

From: R J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tweaking Linux and Road Runner
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 13:08:22 -0400

Hi Folks
I just installed RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable NYC) and hooked it up to my
linux box (SuSE 7.0) however I'd like to know if anyone can tell me how to
tweak the MTU and RWin parameters to get maximum performance.

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:11:33 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin
Subject: Re: Retrieving PPP IP Address

"Mark D." wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am trying to automate a packet filtering firewall by providing the IP
> address of the PPP connection upon its connection.  I have Linux
> 2.2.5-15 (Redhad 6.0).  Besides querying the PPP log file to get the IP
> address, is there any more direct method to finding the PPP IP address
> to put in the IPChains script.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Mark

Hello Mark,

below is a small script I wrote for something like this, you could
adopt.

#!/bin/sh
# notice dynamically changed IP from ISP Dial up
# mail new values
# [EMAIL PROTECTED] - 2001-01-24
DEVICE="ippp0"
MAILTO="you@yourdomain"
IFCONFIG="/sbin/ifconfig"
. IP_w
nip=`$IFCONFIG $DEVICE |grep inet |awk -F: '{ print $2 " " $3 }' |awk '{
print $1 " " $3}'`
if [ "$nip" != "$MyIP" ]; then
        echo MyIP=\""$nip\"" > IP_w
        mail -s "$HOSTNAME IP has changed!" $MAILTO << EOF
        New Data  `date +%H:%I:%S` date: `date -I`
        `cat IP_w`
EOF
else
echo "Nothing happend" > /dev/null
fi

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Nikolaos Tsarmpopoulos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: kernel 2.4.4 compilation
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:11:26 +0300

Check the SUSE Linux 7.1 HANDBOOK, page 452. I was searching for something
else, but I also found something that may relate to your problem.

It says that after recompiling the kernel, if you have the driver built into
the kernel and the previous kernel had it configured (during installation)
as a module, then the kernel will still try to load the module of the same
driver and this leads to the system blocking.

A solution to this is given in page 453.

I hope this helps.

Nikolaos

news:xIVP6.1488$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: R J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: sound card cmi8338 help
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 13:14:15 -0400

I've used RH with the CMI8338 even CMI8738 on those PC Chips motherboards
with
no problems at all.  Even got the winmodem to work (8738AM).

Did you run sndconfig after you set up the system or are you relying on the
detection during setup?

try using sndconfig.
Only problem I had is that occasionally the sound card would hang but i
guess
this has been fixed now.

------------------------------

From: Jimbo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba Printing!
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 19:09:44 +0200

I had problems with printing to a Brother HL660 connected o Win98. It
worked for the test-pages but KWord for example refused to work. I
installed the latest samba-packages and all problems were solved

------------------------------

From: "Casely Schandorf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eth0 and xemacs
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 13:19:42 -0400

Quick questions:

1) Anyone have a reason why bringing up interface eth0 on startup is so
slow. It takes a while on my linux desktop but on my Sony Vaio laptop
PGC-FX120, it takes a much longer time. I have it configured to use dhcp to
obtain ip address on my home network.

2) More importantly, can anyone tell me why xemacs will not start up if my
network isn't running but emacs will? Seems kinda strange that xemacs will
expect the network to be up before it will start when all I'm trying to do
is edit a file.

Note: My current distribution is Redhat 7.1 running kde on my laptop.

Any light on this matter will be truly appreciated.

Casely

------------------------------

From: sisil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to add harware
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 17:30:05 -0000

i insatlled red hat linux 6.2, problem is i can't configure my sound card
and modem...
can u help me.. with this...
i have Creative AWE 64 Sound card
Cirrus logic 33.6 K modem

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Using linux as secondary DNS
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Johnson)
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 17:17:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Uhring) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Steve Martin wrote:
>
>> Dave Uhring wrote:

>>> Adding another DNS server is very likely to upset your network
>>> administrator.  Create a /etc/hosts file on 1 machine and ftp it to
>>> the rest.
>>
>> An alternative you might consider is asking the IT guys to allow you
>> to administer your own zone. Then you could set your Linux box up
>> to be authoritative just for those ten or so machines, and have it
>> refer all other queries to the corporate DNS machines. They might not
>> want to do this, but it's better than simply hanging another DNS
>> machine on the network without permission.
>>

>Maintaining DNS zone files is considerably more difficult and time
>consuming than editing one /etc/hosts file and distributing it with FTP
>or SCP.  Not to mention the probable difficulty in getting permission to
>set up a separate zone.  It's usually best to let sleeping dogs lie when
>it comes to running Linux in a Microsoft network, which I assume is
>present here.

Well, we can't just create one etc/hosts file and ftp it to everyone's
machines cos everyone's etc/hosts files ar unique.

Also, I do have permission from the IT group to do this if it makes sense
to do....if that helps...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Topaz_Crow)
Subject: Re: help !
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 17:25:43 GMT

On 27 May 2001 09:05:00 -0700, Ashish G. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi !
>I have two hard disks, one has 20GB storage space and the other has
>4.3GB sotrage space. Both the HDDs have 3 partitions. I have loaded
>Win98SE and all my software on the 20GB HDD while the 4.3GB HDD is
>blank and not connected to my PC.
>       I am new to Linux and Linux-like OSes so I want to load  Linux as a
>secondary OS, on the 4.3GB HDD and connect the HDD as a slave to the
>other HDD ( atleast till I get familiar with Linux). Please tell me
>how to go about it.

Plug the second HD in as the primary slave and start the install.
Make sure you point the install to hdb and *not* hda.  When you
install lilo, it should be installed in the mbr of hda.

--
Topaz Crow
No replies by email, sorry.

------------------------------

From: Norbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 02:00:54 +0800

i did run sndconfig.  it just says cmi8338 detected and when it comes to
test..i hear no sound...i just wonder why ???

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Subject: Need Scripting Help
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 18:01:57 GMT

I'm writing a simple Bourne shell script (running in bash).  The
ultimate purpose is to check for shares on other network machines, and
automatically samba mount them, but I'm getting stuck on a seemingly
trivial problem.

When redirecting a file from a read command, isn't each read supposed
to read the *next* line of the file?

I have a file called mainshares whose contents are:

\tNEW FOLDER      Disk
\tPRINTER$            Disk
\tVENTURES          Disk

(It's generated by a grep on "Disk" of an smbclient -L command)

My current script is:

:
while read inshare < mainshares
do
  echo $inshare
done

When I run this, it goes into an infinite loop, repeatedly printing
the first line of the file, and never advancing to the next one.

What's going on?

--
simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Replace first . with @ and throw out the "@trash." to email me.
Here's my email address for autospammers: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Raymond Tsang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: INTERFACE
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 01:47:04 +0800

Hello folks,can RedHat 7.1 install  chinese interface ? if yes ,how to
do?
Thanks

------------------------------

From: Tiffany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: strange problem
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:06:46 -0400

>===== Original Message From [EMAIL PROTECTED] (omry) =====
>Hi all
>
>I have w2k and win98 installed. After installing red-hat 7.1, I found
>out that I could only boot linux with a boot floppy.
<deletia>
>...I always get the NTLDR  and can boot Linux
>only with floppy disk.

Read the HOW-TO for dual-booting GNU/Linux and MS Windows NT.  I have
successfully achieved dual-boot capability following that HOW-TO.  I think
you
need to copy a file to the the boot-up partition on MS Windows NT and point
it in the boot.ini file.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest