Linux-Setup Digest #316, Volume #21              Sun, 27 May 01 20:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Problem compiling Ed-0.2 (Colin Watson)
  Re: Tweaking Linux and Road Runner (Steve Bradley)
  Re: can't compile qt-2.3.0 with -xft. Why? ("ne...")
  Re: How can I boot into linux from CD-ROM? ("Tsugi")
  Re: Floppy (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Need Scripting Help (Michael Heiming)
  Re: howto move the errors from gcc to a file? (hihihi)
  Re: FTP Question RH 7.1 (J Sloan)
  Re: sendmail problems (J Sloan)
  NT - Tracert ("Deuce")
  Re: Apache and FTP question (J Sloan)
  Re: About RH Linux (G. Wolfe Woodbury)
  Re: NT - Tracert (Bit Twister)
  /etc/mtab weirdness (Joel Comeaux)
  Re: partition a 19G hard disk (Stanislaw Flatto)
  Dell Latitude LM linux setup with removable cdrom/floppy (Dave)
  cdrecord/SCSI witer IDE source CD ("Jeff")
  Re: sendmail problems (Ken Tew)
  Mess up with dd (nickr_21045)
  Re: Retrieving PPP IP Address - answer (Bill Unruh)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Problem compiling Ed-0.2
Date: 27 May 2001 20:14:53 GMT

Michael Pye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Peet Grobler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:3b00d790$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Michael Pye wrote in message ...
>> >Apparently vi -e works the same as ed. I might just forget it and
>> >create a simlink to vi emulating ed.
>>
>> Mine didn't even compile outside of the chrooted environment.
>> How would you create that symlink? ln -s ed vi -e?
>
>I think it is
>
>ln -s "vi -e" ed
>
>or similar. You would have to check the vi option first though. It might
>only apply to vim... Check the help files...

(Not the same Michael Pye I went to school with?)

You can't do that with symlinks. It'd look for a file called 'vi -e'
rather than running 'vi' with the argument '-e'. Try creating a small
shell script or a shell alias instead.

I thought 'vi -e' emulated ex rather than ed, though.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Alas, alas poor Willie, we'll hear his voice no more.

------------------------------

From: Steve Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tweaking Linux and Road Runner
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:27:42 GMT

R J wrote:

> Hi Folks
> I just installed RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable NYC) and hooked it up to my
> linux box (SuSE 7.0) however I'd like to know if anyone can tell me how to
> tweak the MTU and RWin parameters to get maximum performance.
>
> Thanks

There is a program 'sysctlconfig'.  It came with my RH7.1 installation, I'm
not sure about Suse, but I'm sure it's easy enough to get.  That allows you
to set those values, although I can't say as they've made any difference to
my Linux setup - whereas they made a HUGE difference to my Windows setup.

There's a 'fancier' version of that software, gpowertweak, also available.
More options for more devices, I think.  Check freshmeat.
--
Steve Bradley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't compile qt-2.3.0 with -xft. Why?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:30:15 GMT

On May 26, 2001 at 19:11, Jürgen Diez eloquently wrote:

>oh, I installed freetype in /usr
>and added
>#define Freetype2Dir /usr
>to my host.def
>does it matter if it's not the default directory?
No. That should not matter. The host.def should
point to where freetype was installed. Now you need
to an ldd on /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so and make sure
the correct freetype is included. Then you can compile
Qt and hopefully all would be well.

I think...  I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check.
                -- Escher
  4:25pm  up  6:07,  8 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: "Tsugi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I boot into linux from CD-ROM?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 16:52:03 -0700

  I tried tab at the Boot: prompt, but nothing happened.  It doesn't even
show Lilo prompt.  I am going to re-try to double check.
  thanks,

tsugi

news:9ermi1$qml7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:41:16 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Floppy

LaMaffia wrote:

> I've 2 floppy on my computer one of them is 3 1/4 and other is 5 1/2 .
>
> When i'm on win98 the floppy A is 3 1/4  and B is 5 1/2 .
> The problem is the following : when i switch to linux (redhat 6.2) it
> recognizes fd1 the
> floppy 3 1/4 and fd0 the floppy 5 1/2 .
> Could anyone tell me if  i can change the floppys in linux, fd1 as floppy 5
> 1/2 and fd0 as 3 1/4 ?
>                Thank you for your time.

Hello,

why do you want to change this?

It's just the device name, you can mount your fd0/1 where you
want, there are no silly A B C drives... in Linux.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 23:09:55 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Scripting Help

Rand Simberg wrote:

> I'm writing a simple Bourne shell script (running in bash).  The
> ultimate purpose is to check for shares on other network machines, and
> automatically samba mount them, but I'm getting stuck on a seemingly
> trivial problem.
>
> When redirecting a file from a read command, isn't each read supposed
> to read the *next* line of the file?
>
> I have a file called mainshares whose contents are:
>
> \tNEW FOLDER      Disk
> \tPRINTER$            Disk
> \tVENTURES          Disk
>
> (It's generated by a grep on "Disk" of an smbclient -L command)
>
> My current script is:
>
> :
> while read inshare < mainshares
> do
>   echo $inshare
> done
>
> When I run this, it goes into an infinite loop, repeatedly printing
> the first line of the file, and never advancing to the next one.
>
> What's going on?
>
> --
> simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
> interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org
>
> "Extraordinary launch vehicles require extraordinary markets..."
> Replace first . with @ and throw out the "@trash." to email me.
> Here's my email address for autospammers: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Not sure if I understood what you want to do?
However, you could use the system function gawk has, like:

awk '{system ("echo smbmount whatever " $1)}' infile

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 23:23:20 +0200
From: hihihi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: howto move the errors from gcc to a file?

David. E. Goble wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I am just beginning to try programming in linux (redhat).
>
> My problem is when I use gcc ...etc it produces a scolling list of
> errors. How can I move or pipe the errors to a file. ie something like
>
>       gcc -o hello.c > error.txt?

gcc -o hello hello.c 2>&1 | tee error.txt

This way you get the text on screen and in the error.txt text file.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: FTP Question RH 7.1
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:29:37 GMT

Lamar Thomas wrote:

> Just installed RH 7.1 and am trying to get FTP working.  When I dial
> into my ISP from a Windows system I get an access denied msg.  When I
> run "chkconfig --list wu-ftpd" it returns "wu-ftpd  off".  Is this why I
> can't connect?

That would do it - turn it "on" via chkconfig command.
Then use the service command to start the service.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: sendmail problems
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:39:55 GMT

Popeye wrote:

> > Grep the RELEASE NOTES for sendmail. You might also have to add
> >
> > sendmail : ALL to /etc/hosts.allow.
> >

> ONLY if Sendmail is under inetd.

Nope, sendmail 8.11.2 on Red Hat 7.1 is compiled
to use tcp wrappers, even though it's running as
a standalone server. Other non-inetd services
also do so (portmap, etc)

> Otherwise, its probably error with ipchains, or DNS entry. I had problems
> with sending, when my DNS zone table had double entrys.

Those are also possibilities.

cu

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Deuce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NT - Tracert
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 00:43:32 +0200

What is the equivalent for this command under Linux please.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Apache and FTP question
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:46:03 GMT

Lamar Thomas wrote:

> J Sloan wrote:
>
> > Lamar Thomas wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed RH 7.1 and I did NOT configure the firewall during the
> > > install (I will go back and do that later after I get everything up and
> > > running.  Besides, nothing is on this system but the Linux OS).  Anyway,
> > > I am trying to get the Apache web server and the FTP server up and
> > > running.  I went through the steps in RH's "Customization Guide" but I
> > > can not connect to either server.  From my linux system I CAN pull up my
> > > web page but I can NOT access if from another system (i.e. from work).
> > > How do I get access from outside my system, and let everyone else have
> > > access too?
> >
> > Are you only seeing the docs (static files)
> > when you are looking at localhost? Is httpd
> > actually running?
> >
> > > I also can not connect to my FTP server.  I get an "access denied"
> > > message.  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.
> >
> > You need to 1. enable ftp and 2. make sure hosts.allow allows it.
> >
> > see /var/log/secure for more info -
> >
> > cu
> >
> > jjs
>
> I can see the "Powered by RedHat" index page.  I then copied my web page into
> the /var/www/html directory with a new index page.  The last command I ran
> was "#  service httpd restart"  just like the book said.

OK, httpd is unhappy, look in /var/log/httpd/error_log
and see what apache is unhappy about

> Do you have an example of what hosts.allow would look like if someone had
> access rights?

AFAIK apache does not check hosts.allow, it's pretty
much as open as you allow it to be with the access
controls in httpd.conf (wide open by default for normal
pages)

However an ftp server might have an entry like so:
(assuming the use of proftpd)

in.proftpd    :    ALL

or if you are more selective, like so:

in.proftpd    :    127. 192.168. 203.45.223.45

to allow localhost, all hosts on the 192.168 lan, and 203.45.223.45

cu

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (G. Wolfe Woodbury)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: Re: About RH Linux
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:20:26 GMT

Tyron Washington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> shaped electrons to say:
>I've just done my first install of RedHat Linux (7.0) on a 4 year old
>laptop. I'm learning the in's and out's very quickly but there's some things
>about Linux and stuff I just can't figure out:
>
>[1] Does the sequence of commands, <./configure>, <make> and <su -c 'make
>install'> always successfully install a app, lib, etc from it's source file
>(*.tar.gz) grabbed off the web? Should I do this install method over instead
>of the RPM install method (RPM installs gives me too many dependency
>errors)?

That sequence (configure make make install) is probably the most common
way to do things since most of the stuff comes from the GNU project, and
configure is a GNU hallmark.  Some other packages may use other
sequences or commands.

>[2] Whenever I try to install a package (*.i386.rpm) downloaded from the
>web, I get a dependency error. What am I suppose to do after that? Do I
>download the needed files and put them in the same folder as the rpm file or
>install them and then try the RPM install again?

A dependency error means that some required package is not installed
where RPM can see it (this may happen when installing from .tar.gz
sources).  The cure is to install the required package and try again.

>[3] I come across RPMs with i386, i586 or i686 in their filenames. Which one
>do I download (I use a Pentium 150 and PIII 866)? What's the difference?
>What happen to i486?

These are mostly kernel RPMs and some packages that can use the
additional CPU instructions that are available in the '586 and '686
intel processors.  The 486 didn't add much in the way of optimized
instructions so its not generally used as a seperate version.

>[4] I also come across RPMs with -1, -2, -3, etc. after their version number
>in the filenames (i.e. like "-1" in gabber-0.8.3-1.i386.rpm, "-7" in
>gtk+-1.2.8-7.i386.rpm, "-4" in Eterm-0.9-4.i386.rpm, etc.) What does those
>mean? Or are they part of the version number?

The -1 part of the RPM name is a sequencing number added by RedHat as a
convenience when they have made some minor changes to the package that
didn't change the main version number. Usually it means that they did
something different in the configure phase so that it would run on RH.

>[5] What do I do with RPMs with the *.src.rpm extension? How are they
>different from *.i386.rpm RPMs?

SRPMs (source RPMs) are intended to be used with the /usr/src/redhat
directory structure (BUILD SOURCE SPEC etc) for building RPMs from the
sources.  This is useful for installing versions from a different
version of RHL (for example I have installed vim 6 from the RH7.1
packages by using the SRPM)  The .i386.rpm packages were built from the
SRPM packages and are precompiled binary packages.

>[6] "Gabber is a GNOME client" When I see program descriptions like this,
>does that mean the program will only work under the specified desktop
>environment (GNOME, KDE, E, Sawfish, etc.)? If so, do I just download the
>source and install with the ./configure, make, make all method and it will
>work on any DE I'm using?

That means that "Gabber" uses the libraries from the GNOME system to do
its GUI.  It generally does mean that it wants to have GNOME installed
and being used as the major GUI system.  GNOME and KDE are the two major
GUI packages. E, Sawfish, FVWM etc are X-windows "window managers" and
are seperate from GNOME/KDE.  GNOME/KDE run on top of the window
managers.  Most X-windows programs won't depend on the WM or the DE
unless the specifically say that they do.

>[7] What are the quick tips to dealing with the kernel? Because I have to
>install pcmcia-cs and it tells me I have to do something about obtaining the
>current stable kernel source (in /usr/src/linux). I have the RedHat
>2.2.16-22 version. Does that mean I should download the kernel version
>2.2.16, 2.2.17, 2.2.18, 2.2.19, 2.2.20, 2.2.21 or 2.2.22? Or can I download
>any version higher than my current version? Should I download and install
>2.3 or 2.4, or do I have to stay within my current version's range?

I'm running kernel version 2.4.4 on an otherwise RH 7.0 system.  I down
loaded the sources from kernel.org and did a full configure (make
xconfig) and build (make bzImage, make modules; make modules_install;
make bzlilo).

--
Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury      `-_-'    Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us         U

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: NT - Tracert
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:55:14 GMT

On Mon, 28 May 2001 00:43:32 +0200, Deuce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What is the equivalent for this command under Linux please.

traceroute

ps:

BTW, if you want to send the same message to more than one NG, CROSSPOST!

Don't post the same message to more than one NG individually, it makes it
much harder to keep track of a discussion.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joel Comeaux)
Subject: /etc/mtab weirdness
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 23:05:08 GMT

Hi all,
  Little background before I plead for help -> Had two distro's
 on my hard disk, one on hda2, and another on
hda4.  Decided to go with hda4.  Wanted to remove the distro on
 hda2, cp hda4 to hda2 delete hda4 and resize hda2
with GNU parted to fill most of the hard disk...whew.

Okay, so far, it's going pretty well.  I used the cp -a command
 to maintain links (?), anyhow, it worked well.  One small
issue though, /etc/mtab.

I booted into hda2, but the 'mount' command produces this:
/dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (rw)
...plus other non-relevant things.

I can even mount /dev/hda4, and when I do so, 'mount' gives:

/dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (rw)
...blah
...blah
/dev/hda4 on /mnt/redhat4 type ext2 (rw)

What's that about?

checked my /etc/mtab file, and sure enough, the first line is
 /dev/hda4, which isn't surprising since I
copied it directly *from* hda4.  I've seen the warnings about
 *never* editing your /etc/mtab file, because
it is auto-generated - so where is the "auto-generation" going wrong?

Thanks much....in advance

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: partition a 19G hard disk
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:29:27 +1000

delta wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I wanted to install Linux along with WinME on my box. I used fips to divide
> my 19G hard disk into two partitions, with WinMe on the first half.

Hi!
>From historical (and technical) reasons some hardware (BIOS) and software have
limits which are on the 1024 cylinder boundary. (~8Gb).
Newer software and hardware can overcome it but we have many instances like in
your case where it hickups.
But there is a solution/s.
Repartition the drive and reinstall both OS's in a way that will let you do later
installation of each without disturbing the other.
With linux fdisk create a primary partition starting AND ending on cylinder No.1.

It will be /boot.
Now install ME letting it to take part of the drive (lets say 8Gb).
Again with Linux fdisk create in the rest of the space Linux extended (85) and
divide it into logical partitions /swap, / (root), /usr, /home to your liking.
Install Linux.
Have fun.

> Thanks a lot in advance. Any help is really appreciated.
>
> Jim

Stanislaw.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave)
Subject: Dell Latitude LM linux setup with removable cdrom/floppy
Date: 27 May 2001 16:14:07 -0700

I had a bear of a time figuting this out, so I fugured I'd contribute
it to the general good.  I have an older Dell laptop I want to use for
some basic web hacking while on the road etc.  So I set about wiping
the drive getting ready for a linux install.  Ran into trouble when I
realized the bugger couldn't boot from the CDROM!!

So, I had a bootable DOS diskette around that I booted from, and
fdisked, set one primary partition as active, and format \s the
entired HD as one big partition (1.3GB big? - NOT!). Anyway I reboot
and copy the files from the dos floppy, and edit the autoexec.bat and
config.sys files so I have CDROM support.  Boot from C:.  Insert
Mandrake disk, do to DOSUTILS\AUTOBOOT and run AUTOBOOT.BAT. It copies
a bunch of files to c:\mandrake.  Copy those files to c:\.  Reboot.
Actually you may not really have to reboot but you need to run:

loadlin vmlinuz initrd=cdrom.rdz cdrom ramdisk_size=32000 text

the "text" is to do a text-based install.  It barfs otherwise when GTK
starts.

Now it churns a bit then finally asks about the CDROM.  I set it up as
an "other" > "SCSI Support"  (the last choice).  Autoprobe, then it
churns a bit and finally starts the install up!

HTH
DEG
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrecord/SCSI witer IDE source CD
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 23:24:27 GMT

Along the same lines as the original question I present this.

I have no issues with my scsi CD writer being detected by cdrecord or
x-cd-roast, my issue is that it these software's can not see my IDE cdrom
that I would like to use as a source drive.  The system sees them both fine.

I have enabled scsi emulation in my kernel but still no luck I was thinking
that the burning software's wanted to see my source disk as a scsi device
too.

Any thoughts

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Tew)
Date: 27 May 2001 23:40:33 GMT

in article <9ec6tj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Jon Page ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I am setting up a RH 7.1 server.  I have sendmail running and can send email
> out, but I am unable to receive email.  ipchains has an entry for smtp
> (accept any) and I am listening on port 25.  I have tried to telnet to port
> 25 but get connection failed.

I had the same problem when I installed RH 7.1. I tracked it down to the
following line in /etc/sendmail.cf:

O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA

commenting out that line solved the problem.

--
==========
                                          \//////

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (nickr_21045)
Subject: Mess up with dd
Date: 27 May 2001 17:02:02 -0700

Does anyone know of a way to recover this or to
get any of the data on /dev/hda1 partition? I'm
really over my head.

I did :

dd if=bare.i of=/dev/hda1

by mistake I meant to do dd if=bare.i of=dev/fd0
/dev/hda1 is a windows 98 FAT32 partition I wrote 1788+0 records.

Now when I try to mount the windows partition I get

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /fat-c
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
       or too many mounted file systems

I can't boot up into windows at all though the linux partion is fine.

Here is my partition table:
                                                                  MB
hda1             Primary   Win95 FAT32                       3446.40
hda3             Primary   Linux ext2                        2870.63
hda5             Logical   Linux swap                         131.61

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: Retrieving PPP IP Address - answer
Date: 28 May 2001 00:02:55 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Robert A Munro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Mark,

]Here's what you need:

]IP=$(/sbin/iconfig | /bin/grep P-t-P | /usr/bin/cut -c 21-38 | /bin/awk
]'{print $1}' );

Or remember that the IP address is reported ( arg. 4 I believe) to the ip-up script
when ppp starts up. You can run your ipchains scripts from ip-up using the address.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest