From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Corriher)
Subject: Re: Earthlink and Debian
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 06:46:48 GMT

On Fri, 18 May 2001 19:38:03 -0700, Steve Morningthunder
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Has anybody managed to setup Debian GNU/LINUX (stable) so
>that it can access mindspring.com, one of the subsidiaries
>of Earthlink, probably being the same?
>
>If so I'd sure like some help with such as a chat script
>and options file.
>
>Thanks to anybody who might have the time to make the effort

#-----------------------------------------------------------------
#  I am going to assume that you are a newbie despite the gnu
#  address.  If you are not a newbie; remember that there are
#  newbies who will benefit from some of my simple advise.
#
#     The following is my simple ppp-on script.
#-----------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

LOCAL_IP=0.0.0.0        # Local IP address if known.
#                       Dynamic = 0.0.0.0

REMOTE_IP=0.0.0.0       # Remote IP address if desired.
#                       Normally 0.0.0.0

NETMASK=255.255.255.0   # The proper netmask if needed

DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer

exec /usr/sbin/pppd lock modem crtscts /dev/modem 57600 \
asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF ktune $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT
#-------------------------------------------------------------------
#
#  Please notice that in the following ppp-on-dialer (chat) script
#  there are no real spaces.  See this with "cat -A".  You will see
#  that there are only TABS; expressed as ^I.
#
#  Notice the "ELN/" that appears before my user name.  This is
#  required for Earthlink.  Mindspring and other branches of the
#  company may require a different user prefix.  I have had problems
#  after adding spaces to this file, so be careful of them.  My file
#  does not even have a line after "password".  Notice the use of
#  " ' " style quotes to prevent the system from translating
#  characters (with slashes) prematurely.  Yes, the spellings of
#  "password" and "login" are intentional.
#
#---------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/sbin/chat -v                                          \
TIMEOUT                 "20"                                    \
ABORT                   '\nBUSY\r'                              \
ABORT                   '\nNO ANSWER\r'                         \
''                      '\rAT'                                  \
'OK-+++\c-OK'           "ATH0"                                  \
TIMEOUT                 "60"                                    \
OK                      "ATDT,721-1212"                         \
ogin:--ogin:            'ELN/tcorriher'                         \
ssword:                 "*SNIPPED*"
#----------------------------------------------------------------
#
#  Use the following options file only if you want PPP to use
#  dial on demand.  A normal options file is given afterward.
#  To activate the demand pppd, you will need to use a private
#  but non-existent "dummy" address for PPP to create a network
#  interface.  I strongly suggest an address in one of the
#  legitimate private networks, such as the "10" series.
#  Here is an example:  "pppd :10.0.0.250".  As far as ppp is
#  concerned, the entire Internet is the bogus 10.0.0.0 network.
#  You should use the "pppd :10.0.0.250" sometime immediately
#  after booting, if you want to use demand dialing.  When you
#  connect to the Internet, ppp will take the IP that your
#  provider gives you and throw away the "10." address.  For
#  56k modems, you should try replacing the number 57600 with
#  115200 in these scripts.  PPP is real funny sometimes.
#  Restarting it sometimes does not help it, if the configuration
#  was changed.  People are going to argue against this, but
#  I have seen from experience that sometimes you just need
#  to reboot; or you'll wait forever before the cached network
#  info disappears.  If you use pppd in demand mode, and you
#  are using any sort of DNS (named), then your machine will
#  connect at every boot, and then periodically afterwards to
#  gather information from the root DNS servers.  Do not be
#  alarmed if this happens.  If it dials up when no network
#  services are supposed to be running... then be VERY alarmed.
#  By the way, if you are a newbie to Unix then shut down
#  named immediately.  To a newbie, DNS software is a major
#  security incident waiting to happen.  Also learn about the
#  hosts.allow and hosts.deny combination, and the /etc/inetd.conf
#  file before you get you machine 0wN3d by an 3L33T HaX0r.
#  Definitely, shut down Sendmail's relaying for outside addressed.
#
#----------------------------------------------------------------
demand
idle 600
ipcp-accept-remote
ipcp-accept-local
lock
noauth
defaultroute
user tcorriher
remotename earthlink.net
/dev/modem 57600 crtscts
ktune
connect /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer
#---------------------------------------------------------------
#
#           A normal (non-demand) options file is below.
#
#---------------------------------------------------------------
noipdefault
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
defaultroute
noauth
crtscts
noproxyarp
idle 600
noipx
#---------------------------------------------------------------
#  Here is my chap-secrets file
#
#  I don't remember if Earthlink uses pap or chap (or both).
#  I do find it interesting that my connections from them are
#  always smooth and that my mail frequently has this in the
#  headers:  "penguin (EarthLink SMTP Server)".  I have a link
#  from /etc/ppp/pap-secrets to /etc/ppp/chap/secrets, so these
#  two files are identical.  Notice that the "ELN/" is not
#  required.
#
#---------------------------------------------------------------
# client        server          secret          IP addresses
tcorriher       *               *SNIPPED*       *
#---------------------------------------------------------------
#
#        Here are my /etc/ppp configuration file permissions
#
#---------------------------------------------------------------
-rw-------    root daemon  chap-secrets
-rw-------    root root    connect-errors
-rwxr-xr-x    root root    ip-down
-rwxr-xr-x    root root    ip-down.local
-rwxr-xr-x    root root    ip-up
-rwxr-xr-x    root root    ip-up.local
-rw-r-----    root daemon  options
lrwxrwxrwx    root root pap-secrets -> chap-secrets
drwxr-xr-x    root root    peers
-rwx------    root root    ppp-off
-rwx------    root root    ppp-on
-rwx------    root root    ppp-on-dialer
#--------------------------------------------------------------

--
  From the desk of Thomas Corriher

  The real email address is:
  tcorriher at earthlink.
  net

------------------------------

From: Pianoman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: LM8 - Installation froze. Help!
Date: 28 May 2001 07:02:42 GMT

Ronald Lim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After hitting F1 and typing in expert at the boot prompt, the
> installation froze when trying to detect my harddisks.
> I suspect it has got to do with the promise 66 card. Try installing
> again using the following parms at the boot prompt:
> boot: vmlinuz ide2=0x10c0, 0x10b6 ide3=0x10b8, 0x10b2
> Still no go.. installation still hangs at the pt of detecting my
> harddisks.

> I am currently running win98 on my primary hard disk and
> linux-mandrake 6.5 on my second hard disk. I am able to install my
> current linux using the above method.

Try "boot: linux ide2=0x10c0,..." instead. I tried this, and it didn't
freeze. However, I did have other problems (it couldn't read the hard
drive when I got into the setup program). How does your output compare to
mine?

***This rest of this is long, but it's the only way I can fit all the***
***        info in of my own problem regarding the same issue        ***

I originally had the same problem (running win98, too). Except that I'm
trying to install on my Windows partition. I have the same promise ultra 66
card. I've read some posts on the Mandrake maillist of people who've
successfully installed Linux-Mandrake 8.0 with this card, though. I don't
know if that's the whole problem

Here's the last part of my output while trying to boot up the install
program with the only option "boot: linux mem=128M":

<output>
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
ide: Assumin 33 MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with ide bus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 11% native mode: will probe irqs later
      ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1408-0x140f, BIOS settings: hdc: DMA, hdd: pio
PDC20262: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 70
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0e.0
PDC20262: chipset revision 1
PDC20262: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20262: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode
      ide2: BM-DMA at 0x1080-0x1087, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf: pio
      ide3: BM-DMA at 0x1088-0x108f, BIOS settings: hdg: pio hdh: pio
hdc: LG CD-RW CED-8080B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: QUANTUM FIREBALL Lm30.0, ATA DISK drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177, 0x376 on irq 15
ide2 at 0x1420-0x1427, 0x1416 on irq10
</output>

At this point, it freezes. The cursor that's usually there disappears,
never reappears, and my computer just stares at me.

To get past the freezing, I tried:
"boot: linux mem=128M ide2=0x1420,0x1427,10". The first I/O Range listed
in my Windows system configuration is "0x1420-0x1427", the second one is
"0x1414-0x1418", which includes the third number on the last line of the
output, 0x1416. I have no idea what that third number means in Linux's output

However, then it has reading issues because it can't read the drive.
Here's what it says now:
<output>
ide2: reset: success
hde: set_geometry_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hde: set_geometry_intr: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}
hde: recal_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hde: recal_intr: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}
hde: recal_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hde: recal_intr: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}
hde: read_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hde: read_intr: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}
end request: I/O error, dev 22:00 (hde), sector 0
  unable to read partition table
RAMDISK Compressed image found at block 0
</output>

>From there, it goes on and keeps loading. I get to the install screen,
select the language, say it's a non-SCSI drive, etc. It goes through the
first part of the installation. The first time it has to read the
harddrive (right after choosing the SCSI/non-SCSI drive, I believe), it
freezes and comes back with the error: "test_for_bad_drives: can't even
read (Input/output error)"

I know this is related to my drive again, but I can't figure out how to
configure it to get it working. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.
If anyone could even *interpret* some of this stuff, such as what all
these messages mean in my output, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's more info on my computer system:

ide1 looks like it's my Secondary IDE Controller (which my CD-RW is on),
since the two addresses match what Windows tells me they are.

What's wierd, though is that the Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master that I
have has the same addresses as the Secondary IDE Controler, except the
0x1408-0x140f in the first line starting with ide is 0x1400-0x140f. The
PCI Bus Master is listed under Hard Disk Controlers in my System
properties in Windows. I Don't know if this means anything.

ide2 seems to be my Promise Technology Ultra66 IDE Controller. The I/O
Ranges for the ide2 & IRQ value seem to be right.

Computer Specs:
Dell Dimension XPS 800T
Pentium III 800 MHz
30 GB Quantum Harddrive
Promise Technology Ultra66 IDE Controller
   SCSI-like controller (other people have used it with Linux)
   IRQ: 10
   I/O Range: 0x1420-0x1427, 0x1414-0x1417, 0x1418-0x141F, 0x1410-0x1413,
              0x1080-0x10BF
Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master
   IRQ: 15
   I/O Range: 0x0170-0x0177,0x0376-0x0376, 0x1400-0x140F
Secondary IDE Controller:
   IRQ: 15
   I/O Range: 0x0170-0x0177, 0x0376-0x0376, 0x1408-0x140F
2 Built-in USB ports (1 4-port hub connected and 1 printer)
     USB hub has Mouse, Keyboard, HandSpring Cradle
NVDIA GeForce 256 AGP Video Card (32MB memory)
3COM EtherLink 10/100 PCI
   IRQ: 11

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it (I'm sure Ronald would, too). If you
need more information, I can try and get it. Thanks!

--
Nathan Owens
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luca)
Subject: Moving hd makes system not bootable
Date: 28 May 2001 00:20:15 -0700

Hi, I use mandrake and boot my system from floppy. Yesterday I moved
my ide hd on another ide channel, so my system can't boot and fail:
VFS: Cannot open root device 16:03

KERNEL PANIC: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 16:03

What shold I do?
thanks, luca

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Getting the boot prompt in Debian GNU/Linux
From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 May 2001 21:22:14 -0400

vrek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When I turn my computer on I dont get ny prompt untill the login.When i
> read the screen while booting it first goes throught the bios tests then
> says "Loading Linux" then goes through Linux tests. I want to eventurally
> have a multi-boot system (98,Linux) but cant get the boot prompt. Any
> Suggestions?

You have to put the word "prompt" by itself in a line in the
/etc/lilo.conf file.  Try "man lilo.conf" for more details.

------------------------------

From: "saw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pci modem and integrated sound card
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:32:59 +0800

my mandrake 7.0 cannot detect the modem ,how to detect the pci modem?
mandrake can detect the sound card but the sound card can't function. help?

------------------------------

From: Christopher Fairbairn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pci modem and integrated sound card
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 19:28:42 +1200

saw wrote:
> my mandrake 7.0 cannot detect the modem ,how to detect the pci modem?
> mandrake can detect the sound card but the sound card can't function.

What brand, make, model? You havn't provided anywhere near enough details
for anyone to help.

There are way to many modem + sound cards in this world for anyone to guess
what you are having trouble with.

How does the sound card not fuction? What error messsages do you get? What
have you tried? Is it only under XWindows or is this from the command
prompt as well?

> help?

Provide some more details and perhaps someone could :-)

Thanks,
Christopher Fairbairn.

------------------------------

From: "Duane Healing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: partition a 19G hard disk
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:34:13 GMT

Recent versions of lilo should be able to boot even from deep in the
drive, but for maximum simplicity and comptability I'd partition like
this:

hda1            10-12MB                         /boot
hda2            some big chunk    WinME
the rest        Some number of Linux partitions (your choice) at least / and
swap.

You shouldn't have any problems with a configuration like that.

--
-Duane
-DNAware SoftLabs

In a feverish moment of semi-lucidity, "delta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
flailed at the keyboard thusly:

------------------------------

From: goble@gtech (David. E. Goble)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: help: getting headers working
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:59:32 GMT

On Fri, 18 May 2001 00:17:22 GMT, goble@gtech (David. E. Goble) wrote:
Thanks for all your replies.

The problem is I need /I/usr/include/pgsql anything less gives header
is not found.

------------------------------

From: goble@gtech (David. E. Goble)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: help: Undefined reference to '...'
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:59:31 GMT

On Sun, 27 May 2001 08:37:46 +1000, Gregory Shearman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You don't need to add the postgres directory to the
>include search path as the postgres directory is
>underneath the "include" umbrella --

Hi Gregory;

Thanks for your reply. The problem of the undefines was the -lpq.

Unfortuantly, if I leave out /I/usr/include/pgsql or use
/I/usr/include it complians that the header is not found.

------------------------------

From: goble@gtech (David. E. Goble)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: looking for a text base user interface programming editer for C
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:59:33 GMT

Hi all;

I hate learning new things. Espeally a bunch of keyboard commands.

In my first computer course, we had to use a word-star type
(console/text base interface) word editor (like pico). However it had
a pop-down menubar at the top of the screen, so you could navigate
this or use the keyboard short cuts. It was quite a fast small word
editor. The pop-down menubar was good because it gave you the chance
to use it, before you learned the keyboard commands. Then as you get
better, you can start using the keyboard, to speed things up a bit. I
miss it as my copy is long gone.

Anyway, is there something similar with the power of emacs or a
wrapper for emacs.

Or anyother text UI programming editor?

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest