  Re: Cant re-install windows ("Pierre Tranié")

From: Nate Eldredge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: looking for a text base user interface programming editer for C
Date: 28 May 2001 01:16:02 -0700

goble@gtech (David. E. Goble) writes:

> Hi all;
>
> I hate learning new things.

You'd probably better find a field other than computer programming,
then.

> Espeally a bunch of keyboard commands.
>
> In my first computer course, we had to use a word-star type
> (console/text base interface) word editor (like pico). However it had
> a pop-down menubar at the top of the screen, so you could navigate
> this or use the keyboard short cuts. It was quite a fast small word
> editor. The pop-down menubar was good because it gave you the chance
> to use it, before you learned the keyboard commands. Then as you get
> better, you can start using the keyboard, to speed things up a bit. I
> miss it as my copy is long gone.
>
> Anyway, is there something similar with the power of emacs or a
> wrapper for emacs.

GNU emacs has a menu bar (hit F10).  What I found even more useful is
the fact that every command has a name that's fairly easy to guess,
and can be found with C-h a (that's apropos) otherwise.  And it tells
you the quick way to run the command whenever you use the slow way.

--

Nate Eldredge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Moving hd makes system not bootable
Date: 28 May 2001 08:32:49 GMT

Luca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, I use mandrake and boot my system from floppy. Yesterday I moved
> my ide hd on another ide channel, so my system can't boot and fail:
> VFS: Cannot open root device 16:03

Your kernel is looking for the root filesystem in the wrong disk.
You must use rdev to "reprogram" the kernel on the correct
disk.

Set your hard disk back to the "old" IDE channel, then use rdev
to "adjust" the kernel, make another boot disk with the new kernel
and then move the disk on the "new" IDE channel and boot with the
new kernel.

man rdev for other information.

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (yingyi)
Subject: a question on booting
Date: 28 May 2001 01:46:23 -0700

Hi,
in the booting procedure, head.S decompressed the kernel to 0x100000.
does linux just jump to 0x100000 after decompression? if so, which
code is stored there? is it the start_kernel function?
thanks!

yingyi

------------------------------

From: Joshua Rasiel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,de.comp.os.unix.linux.newusers
Subject: caldera edesktop won't install
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:17:53 GMT

Hello -
version 4.2. It was an ISO image so I used an extractor(undisk or something,
it's called) to extract that to a new folder. The instructions don't provide
for this, they expect it to be burned onto a CD and run from there. Is
that my problem? Because when I try running the .exe it says to run on
the CD, but on my desktop instead, i get an "illegal operation" error.
the problem... any help here? opinions on caldera edesktop would be nice,
too.
comp.os.linux.questions,

------------------------------

From: "michael.fengler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: REQ:  help, simply mounting MSDOS floppy!
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:10:57 +0200

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Innov@tion wrote:

>REQ:  help, simply mounting MSDOS floppy!
>
>Okie doke.  I guess this will take a while, before I can learn what
>you guys do instinctively.  But, I'm just trying to mount the silly
>floppy, darn it!  Probably a 10-year-old could advise me on this one,
>huh?
>
>So, in RedHat v 7.1, using Gnome, I go into the console.  If what I
>think I see makes sense, I need to CD down to the root before the
>mount location is read by the system (I am not yet up on relative path
>here...).  In any case, when I do "fdisk -l", it doesn't show the
>floppy.  So I do this:
>    mount -t msdos fd0 /dev/floppy

<snip>

Try "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt". The floppy has to be inserted
before yiu issue this command.

- Mike

------------------------------

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:05:56 +0200

On Mon, 28 May 2001, grendel wrote:

> How can I get rid of the "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error I get
> a t startup (think it causes NFS Server to fail or something)?  This started
> after I upgraded to 2.4.X (2.4.5)?  I compiled with NFS server and client as
> modules. Thanks.

Don't start lockd in your startup scripts (just comment it out). It is
started automatically by 2.4 kernels and cannot be started manually
anymore.

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'Møffe' Bøg Hansen ] --------------------------------------
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD.

------------------------------

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rasmus_B=F8g_Hansen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:09:20 +0200

On 28 May 2001, Luca wrote:

> Hi, I use mandrake and boot my system from floppy. Yesterday I moved
> my ide hd on another ide channel, so my system can't boot and fail:
> VFS: Cannot open root device 16:03
>
> KERNEL PANIC: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 16:03

Boot from lilo with 'linux root=/dev/newroot' where newroot is your new
root partition. When the system has booted, edit your /etc/fstab and
change the line for the root fs to point to the new root partition.

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'Møffe' Bøg Hansen ] --------------------------------------
course you get it all back when you reboot.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TG)
Subject: Freeze at KDE2 startup - CS4232 soundcard
Date: 28 May 2001 03:33:46 -0700

Hi all,

I am having a problem on my linux box.  After installing Mandrake 8.0,
I was able to start KDE2 normally and everything was fine.  However, after
configuring my sound card (CS4232 module used), the next time I logged in
to start KDE2, it got to the "Initialising peripherals" stage
and then just locked up.

I was unable to restart X-server with CTRL+ALT+BKSPCE, I was unable to switch
to a virtual console, I was unable to force a reboot.

The same problem occurred with my installation of Red Hat 7.1 - KDE will not
start!

I know that this sound card works with previous versions of Red Hat and with
previous versions of KDE - so this is driving me crazy!

Any help appreciated!

TIA,

TG.
e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Tommy Willoughby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI modem recommendations for Linux box - what should I buy?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 03:42:31 -0700

Professor Bruno wrote:

> Per the subject line.  Any recommendations on what to get?
>
> Thanks!

U.S. Robotics makes a controller-based, true hardware, PCI modem. If I were
going to use an internal modem, it's the only one I'd consider.

--
mail: teeuu at uswestmail dot net

------------------------------

From: "Sébastien Sorlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mouses on laptop
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:52:48 +0200

I have a laptop and I have connected a USB mouse on Redhat 7.0.
The mouse was founded but now when I disconnect the mouse, the X server
can't run. The touchpad isn't founded.
What wan I do to use the touchpad and the USB mouse in the same time (or
alternatively).

Here is a way to connect a USB peripherics without restart the computer?

Thank a lot

Sébastien SORLIN (France)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Daniel Barron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:58:42 GMT

[snip]

> > Or anyother text UI programming editor?

For me there is only one editor, God's own: Zap.
http://www.zap.uk.eu.org/

It beats any editor on any platform as far as I am concerned.  I use it all
the time for Java, C++, Makefiles etc on my Linux.  However, there is a
downside - it only runs on RISC OS.  I have a samba mount and a telnet to
my linux on my lan and edit all the files with Zap like that.

For example, my current project http://dansguardian.org/ is written using it.

It would be really good if Zap was translated to X or Windows (yuk).

--
Daniel Barron - use [at jadeb.com] for personal replys.

------------------------------

From: "Peter White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cant re-install windows
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:29:31 +0100

OK, I'm fed up trying to get basic services running with Mandrake 8.0, so I
want to dual-boot with NT Server 4. However, I can no longer get NT past the
initial install sequence, it just reboots into Linux which will not load
correctly now that It has been corrupted with a partial Windows install. Any
ideas?

------------------------------

From: Alumne FIB - MARC COLL CARRILLO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Desktop Environments
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:39:22 +0200

> [1] What is the relationship between GNOME and the desktop environments
> featured on themes.org (afterstep, blackbox, enlightenment, fvwm, gtk+,
> icewm, kde, litestep, sawfish & wm)? Or is GNOME just another desktop
> environment?

Yes, it is just another one.

> [2] What is the difference between all the desktop environments described
> above? Is it simply that they draw and organize window and desktop elements
> differently?

Basically, yes.

> [3] I'm trying to install KDE 2.1.1 and I have downloaded all the binary
> RPMs (33 files in all) needed for install. I have no idea where to start for
> installation (can't find install notes anywhere). Is it a good idea to use
> the command statement, <rpm -Uvh --nodeps *.i386.rpm>, to install KDE 2.1.1?
> If so, is it okay to do this for all other programs I need to install with a
> lot of RPMs in the install directory?

As I remember, you must begin to install kdesupport, the kdelibs, and then
kdebase. After this, you can install the other packages in any oder.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Segnalazione Sito
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:56:51 +0200

Vorrei Segnalarvi il mio sito: www.danielcity.com

Che ho creato per aiutare i navigatore della rete a trovare i siti Italiani
ed Internazionali più utili ed interessanti del web (secondo il mio
giudizio).
Il sito offre anche la possibilità di scaricare immaggini e ci sono
argomenti divertenti.
Vale la pena di visitarlo.

Cordiali Saluti
   Daniel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mouses on laptop
Date: 28 May 2001 13:03:57 GMT

"Sébastien Sorlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Here is a way to connect a USB peripherics without restart the computer?

I'm using an USB zip drive, loading the modules (UHCI driver and all)
and using it, when I no longer need it I simply remove the modules
from the memory and unplug the device.

See on www.linux-laptop.net if there are some special consideration
for your own laptop.

Davide

------------------------------

From: mark dynarski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Montego snd worked in 6.2 but not 7.1??
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:36:53 GMT

I ran into the same issue when I upgraded from 6.2 to RH 7.0.  The
Sourceforge site that maintains the Aureal drivers had a thread about the
issue.  The solution was to install the 7.0 kernel source from the install
CD-ROM.  RH does not load the source by default and the module needs some
of the source to compile correctly.

Hope this helps,
Mark D

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sapelko)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: LM8 - Installation froze. Help!
Date: 28 May 2001 06:47:00 -0700

I am having the same problem you describe, but I don't have a promise
66 card, so I guess that's not the problem here.
I didn't try however, passing the parameters you describe, how did you
get that info from?

I heard it's a problem in the iso's mandrake posted. Did you burn your
own isos as I did?

Any advice would help, thanks

------------------------------

From: "Pierre Tranié" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cant re-install windows
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:51:20 +0200

"Peter White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
9etg73$94a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> OK, I'm fed up trying to get basic services running with Mandrake 8.0, so
> want to dual-boot with NT Server 4. However, I can no longer get NT past
the
> initial install sequence, it just reboots into Linux which will not load
> correctly now that It has been corrupted with a partial Windows install.
Any
> ideas?

Hi,

try to use a low level formatting utility like maxblast. However,  you'd be
wrong to switch from Linux to NT4. We did the reverse and are really happy
with it.

Yours,

Pierre

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest