From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: route
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 22:27:53 +0200

Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>> > Kernel IP routing table
>> > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
>> > st21s.atlantic. *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth0
>> > localhost.local *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 lo
>> > 192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
>> > 127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
>> > default         192.168.0.254   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
>> > default         192.168.0.254   0.0.0.0         UG    1      0        0 eth0
>
>> use route -n. You have an incomplete hosts or networks table, or a bad DNS,

> networks table?

Yes. (/etc/networks).

>> as not all addresses are being translated. In particular you do not
>> have a hosts or dns entry for your gateway!

> I still don't fully understand the gateway concept. ST21S is Linux
> intended to ppp the ISP and provide NAT internet access for the other
> three machines as well as itself. Methinks ST21S should be the gateway,

You shouldn't care about other machiens for the moment. But if you
think that st215 should be your gateway to the rest of the internet,
then why are you passing default routes through 192.168.0.254? This
must be a mistake. I can understand 0.254 being a gateway to the rest
of 192.168. So you probably want

  route add default gw st21s
  route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 gw 192.168.0.254

> but this is still a blur.

> FQDN means what?

You need to read the NET-3or4-HOWTO.

> The DNS entry is for my ISP. Until the local net works as desired, my
> ISP's nameserver is unavailable.

Well that explains the timeout. Use "route -n" instead.

> I think a 48 Mb Pentium 90 ought to be enough for a three year old Linux
> distro. Does what I think count?

Oh yeah. You get to vote on what is reality too.

> My "Mastering Linux" book that RedHat 5.1 came with provided no example
> of use of local host in the /etc/hosts file. The book's discussion of
> hosts makes no mention of loghost. The OS/2 network configuration
> program results in the following localhost syntax:

>       127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain

This is almost right. Note that the primary key is "localhost" (no
domain) as it should be, and the localhost.localdomain nonsense is only
an alias, so it does no harm. RH seem to the nonsensical
localhost.localdomain as the primary key, which creates havoc when
these machines get out on the internet. Some programs (yppasswd???
rpc.mountd??) figure out what their domain is by checking out the
machines interfaces and choosing the first that looks sensible.

>> > 192.168.0.54    st21s.atlantic.net      ST21S
>> > 192.168.0.51    ka13a.atlantic.net      KA13A
>> > 192.168.0.52    ax5t3.atlantic.net      AX5T3
>> > 192.168.0.53    td91w.atlantic.net      TD91W
>
>> Missing entry for 192.168.9.254. And don't use caps. Which is your machine?

> Don't know any reason why there should be a *.9.254? RHL 5.1 is ST21S.

Because it's your gateway. I meant 0.254, obviously.

> What's wrong with CAPS for nicks?

Everything. Fortunately for you most lookups will fold the case,
but one day you'll be bit by this.

>> Your /etc/networks file was also missing a few entries.
>
>> > /etc/resolve.conf

resolv.conf, not resolve.conf !!

>> > domain atlantic.net
>> > nameserver 209.208.25.18
>> > nameserver 209.208.42.132
>
>> Apparently they don't know about your intranet. Where's the DNS for the
>> 192.168 domain? Well, you could do it on this machine.

> This local net shouldn't need DNS to find itself and the other three

Why not? There is no magic. They'll either need DNS or some other map.
A long list in /etc/hosts, perhaps?

>> > search atlantic.net

> The OS is tacking this on. I didn't put it there.

OS's don't do that. I see no reason for it, since the domain is always
searched.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Roberto Mason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't find a dependency file for Samba (AWK)
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:49:50 -0400

Your right, I have it, and it is installed, the version is:

Yet when I go to install samba 2.2 with all the dependencies, one of which
is pam 0.74.1-1, it tells me that "pam 0.74.1-1 requires awk". Because of
this, I assumed erroneously that awk was not installed. What is it trying to
tell me. Is it that I have the wrong version of awk?

Thanks
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Bodong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Newbie] : How to get my NT loader back?
Date: 2 Jun 2001 20:45:03 GMT

Hi,

I installed Mandrake 8 with "Recommended" installation on my NT box. This
Distro put the LILO without asking onto the MBR :-(. I prefer to use NT
loader to boot my box. Can anyone give me hints how to restore my NT loader
back onto the MBR?

cheers

------------------------------

From: Bodong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NIC 3COM 3C900B-Combo and RH7.1/Mandrake 8.0 --> No Go !
Date: 2 Jun 2001 20:54:47 GMT

Hi,

I always have this problem if i use Linux with kernel 2.4.x. In
installation, both RH 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 recognise the NIC and
automatically set the driver 3C905 for my NIC. I can not however get the
network to work with both DHCP or Manual config.
I don't have this problem with RH 7.0. With DHCP, it recognise the network
instantly.

Please help

Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: [Newbie] : How to get my NT loader back?
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:01:37 GMT

try      man lilo
or       man info

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

------------------------------

From: Philip Neves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Epson Stylus 777
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:07:50 GMT

Has anyone got the Epson Stylus 777 to print in linux. I've been trying to
get my new printer to work but none of the ghostscript drivers that are
advertised to work seem to work at all. If anyone has fixed this same
problem please let me tell me how you did it. I've even gone as far as to
recompile ghostscript with the gimp-print drivers to fix the problem and no
dice. I'm completely stumped. I've tried to use the apsfilter on
http://www.apsfilter.org which I've had success with other printers in the
past. But this one doesn't seem to work.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Konstantin Komarov)
Subject: Re: Partitioning Software - Paragon PArtition Manager
Date: 2 Jun 2001 14:10:47 -0700

"Dono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Can someone recommend a single program that can partition linux, fat and
> ntfs partitions.  I have a 30 gig hard drive and wish to put RedHat 7.1, Win 2k Pro
> Server, and Win 98 on it.  Any advice is appreciated.
> Also any recomendations as to what partitions I should make for Linux.
> /
> /boot
> /home
> /usr
> /swap
>
> etc............
>
> TIA

Try Paragon PArttion Manager (http://www.partition-manager.com).
Supports all modern partition types even NTFS from XP.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Hoover)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux
Subject: Linux Mouse question
Date: 2 Jun 2001 14:15:12 -0700

I just installed Linux Mandrake 8.0 on my laptop.  My laptop has one
of those pointer sticks for mouse control.  However, I also sometimes
use an external PS/2 mouse.  Linux will only let me use one of the
them at a time.  If no mouse is plugged in, the stick works.  If the
external mouse is plugged in then the stick doesn't work.  Is there a
way I can make both of them work simultaneously?

Note: I believe, though I'm not sure, that the pointer stick is
detected as a PS/2 mouse.  Can both of these mice occupy the same
port?

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compile problem
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 17:24:03 -0400

Alan Claunch wrote:

> I'm trying to compile kernel 2.4.4 and am having problems; the kernel
> compiles fine but there are problems with "make modules". The compile stops
> about half way through with multiple error messages. The kernel will boot
> but several modules are missing due to the compile. I have the latest
> versions of gcc, modutils, etc.

The "latest version" of gcc? Which version are you using? It's
recommended that you use 2.91.66 to compile the kernel. If you're
using Red Hat 7.0 or above, then this version is included in your
distro, but it's called "kgcc" rather than "gcc" and should be
used for kernel compilation rather than "gcc".

(...and for those who claim that 2.96.xx is "just fine" for
kernel compilation, let's not start that fight again, okay?
Check how many people have had problems using 2.96 to compile
the kernel versus how many have had problems with 2.91.66,
and then get back to me.)

------------------------------

From: "Rhakios" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: fips
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 22:21:01 -0400

In article <9fb0g1$m2l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Carl Deschepper"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am preparing to install Linux (cool don't you think?), and I have read
> that Linux has to have his own partitions. I have 2 partitions: C: and
> D:
>
> C: is 1.99 gigs and D: 16.99 gigs
>
> I have read that if you want to minimize a piece of a DOS partition, you
> can use a program called FIPS. In the fips.doc file I have read that it
> was necessary too do a scandisk and then a defrag. So...
>
> I open scandisk and I select D: to be scanned. I get an error saying
> that I don't have enough memory and that I have to close some programs.
> I close all system tray programs and try again. Nothing...
>
> It works fine for my C: partition. I have 128 MB RAM at 100 MHz
>
> Can someone help?
>
> Thomas Deschepper ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
>
> sorry for my bad english

You could try booting into safe mode and running scandisk and defrag from
there. If you are installing Mandrake or some other modern distro then
you do not need to use fips to resize your partitions as the installer
contains a tool which you can use to do this.
--
Bye, Rhakios

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:32:34 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Roberto Mason wrote:

> Your right, I have it, and it is installed, the version is:
>
> Yet when I go to install samba 2.2 with all the dependencies, one of which
> is pam 0.74.1-1, it tells me that "pam 0.74.1-1 requires awk". Because of
> this, I assumed erroneously that awk was not installed. What is it trying to
> tell me. Is it that I have the wrong version of awk?
>
> Thanks
> "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Roberto Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >  I've decided to upgrade to Samba 2.2.0, and all their dependencies, but
> > > one. When I go upgrade it tell me that I need AWK. I do have GAWK, and
> have
> >
> > Gawk is awk. You have it. Look again at what it is telling you.
> >
> > Peter

Perhaps, there are just some symlinks missing?

which awk
/usr/bin/awk

ls -al /usr/bin/*awk
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 Mar 16 01:37 /usr/bin/awk ->
../../bin/awk
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           14 Mar 16 01:37 /usr/bin/gawk
->../../bin/gawk
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         2990 Jul 29  2000 /usr/bin/igawk

ls -al /bin/*awk
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Mar 16 01:37 /bin/awk -> gawk
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       132044 Jul 29  2000 /bin/gawk

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: oz1dcv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Install of SuSE 7.1 hangs in reboot
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:29:22 +0200

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:57:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (N. Yeamans) wrote:

>It is an older computer, could the kernel be compiled for an incompatible
>processor?  My system acts funny (it's a K6-2) if I use a 486 or Pentium II

Well, it is a Pentium 100 MHz, and the kernel seems to be for 386i, so
it should be all right.

>about this.  Some drivers will cause problems with some other device while
>probing for the device it was made for.

sounds very reasonable, but I am not sure how to check this.

>What about your executable and library files?  Did libc get installed? (99%
>of programs need this library)  It should be in /lib, and it's usually called
>something like libc-*.so
Its installed as libc.so.6

>Maybe ldconfig wasn't run...it updates the cache
>file for the run-time linker.  Try running 'ldconfig -r /mnt' where /mnt
>is where your root filesystem is mounted.

this command returned in a couple of seconds with no messages

>Try using ldd on the programs
>that are used in boot up--such as init, bash, syslogd--does ldd detect
>any missing library files?

No errors

>down where it goes.  Try putting echo commands in the startup scripts to
>see exactly which line the computer halts at.

The echo command shows that the syslog script completes; and after
that I have disk activity for a couple of seconds before the screen
goes blank and everything stops. My problem is that I haven't found
out where the syslog script is started from, and I cannot find out
what is supposed to be the next script i.e. the one that faults.
I have been through all the files in etc/init.d and  etc

>Good luck.

Thank you, and thank you for your suggestions, I can sure need it.

--
Yours
Hans Erik Busk

------------------------------

From: "Shankar Radhakrishnan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Cable Modem Connection - Help Required
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:33:39 GMT

I don't have any clue to solve this. Can some one help me out on this.
Thanks.

news:8kiQ6.40455$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus 777
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:45:08 -0500

Philip Neves wrote:

> Has anyone got the Epson Stylus 777 to print in linux. I've been trying to
> get my new printer to work but none of the ghostscript drivers that are
> advertised to work seem to work at all. If anyone has fixed this same
> problem please let me tell me how you did it. I've even gone as far as to
> recompile ghostscript with the gimp-print drivers to fix the problem and
> no dice. I'm completely stumped. I've tried to use the apsfilter on
> http://www.apsfilter.org which I've had success with other printers in the
> past. But this one doesn't seem to work.

The Linux Documentation Project has all kinds of good information.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=464242

------------------------------

From: "Harison Phinizy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: have ssh1 trying to install ssh2
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:45:28 GMT

nevermind... I used the --force and it worked...
news:CK%R6.17862$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Permission denied
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:47:26 -0500

Stephen Kirby wrote:

> I am stuck on a problem with access permissions.  The file access
> permissions on files and directories seem to be correct.  I log in as root
> OK but if I try to
> change to another user I get permission denied.
>
> What else is controlling the permissions if it is not the file and
> directory permissions?
> Have I inadvertantly changed a config file somewhere?
>
> eg
> su  auser
> I get
> permission denied /bin/bash
>
> I have tried
> su nobody
> and get
> permission denied /bin/sh
>
>  ls -l /
>  shows
>  drwxr-xr-x  root  root .... bin
>
>  ls -l /bin/sh
>  shows
>  rwxr-xr-x  root  root ..... sh
>
>  ls -l /bin/bash
>  shows
>  rwxr-xr-x root root ..... bash

What do you get with "ls -l /bin/su"?  It should look like

-rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        14112 Jan 16 08:49 /bin/su

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA drives and linux DMA support
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:51:15 -0500

"Jan Oberländer" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a TX board with Intel PIIX4 UDMA33 support, and a bunch of UDMA
> capable hard drives. My linux kernel (2.2.19) has support for dma
> transfers, but when I try to turn on DMA support with hdparm -d1, I get
> this:
>
> hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> hdc: DMA disabled
> ide1: reset: success
>
> But DMA should work... what is wrong? Or, does this not mean anything and
> really it still uses udma?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jan

When it tells you that DMA is disabled, DMA is disabled.  When you
configured your kernel, you needed to select yes in 2 places to use DMA on
your HDC.  Also, you must select the chipset you use.  Did you do all of
that?

------------------------------

From: Philip Neves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:59:15 GMT

Dave Uhring wrote:

> Philip Neves wrote:
>
>> Has anyone got the Epson Stylus 777 to print in linux. I've been trying
>> to get my new printer to work but none of the ghostscript drivers that
>> are advertised to work seem to work at all. If anyone has fixed this same
>> problem please let me tell me how you did it. I've even gone as far as to
>> recompile ghostscript with the gimp-print drivers to fix the problem and
>> no dice. I'm completely stumped. I've tried to use the apsfilter on
>> http://www.apsfilter.org which I've had success with other printers in
>> the past. But this one doesn't seem to work.
>>

> The Linux Documentation Project has all kinds of good information.
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=464242

Hasn't help me much. What I need is someone who got the thing working to
let me know what drivers they used because there are a few different
projects. The ones I've used haven't worked.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest