Linux-Setup Digest #376, Volume #21               Tue, 5 Jun 01 13:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  multi boot? ("Mark Sutton")
  Re: interrup received, but no mail -- on adaptec aha1542 ("Tauno Voipio")
  Re: partitions ("Mike91")
  Re: Can't Telnet, FTP or Send Email to Linux Box ("Herb Stein")
  Re: "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error (Mike Bosschaert)
  Re: "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error (Mike Bosschaert)
  Red Hat Newbie -- Can I do this? (Michael Ballai)
  How i can access my VPOP3 accout ? RH7.0 (Mr.Yma)
  Re: HELP! Unable to mount a partition ("Sean Dynan")
  Re: Is this fixable? (Colin Watson)
  blinking command prompt screen (Luc)
  USB Cable Modem ("JohnM")
  Re: redhat rescue disk (Chad Whitten)
  Mounting User-Writeable Drives ("Zack Z.")
  Re: USB Cable Modem ("Zack Z.")
  Re: Delaying eth0 initialization (Axel Bergerhoff)
  i386,i486,i586 ... (Hajo Drescher)
  Re: Red Hat Newbie -- Can I do this? ("Chris Coyle")
  how to setup mail server... ("MD")
  Re: i386,i486,i586 ...
  Re: Root File System Corruption ("Robert Morelli")

From: "Mark Sutton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: multi boot?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:15:48 +0100

I currently have Win98, and Win2000 installed on a Maxtor 30GB master drive,
and a free 10GB slave drive (the Win2k is installed over 3 partitions).  I
boot between the two with the facility provided with Win2k.  I am
contemplating adding a Linux installation to my current setup, probably
Suse.  Can anyone tell me if its possible to create a multiboot with this
configuration?  I do have partition magic, so should be able to resize my
current partitions to accommodate.

Thanks

ms

------------------------------

From: "Tauno Voipio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: interrup received, but no mail -- on adaptec aha1542
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:19:14 GMT

"Darren and Marla Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:he_S6.20126$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Red Hat 6.2, P133 MHz, 64MB RAM.  Adaptec ISA AHA-1542CF host card...when
> insmod aha1542, I get:
> "interrup received, but no mail"
> I have changed BIOS to not allow >1G
> disabled supprt for >2 drives
> disabled autoscanning the bus

This could be caused by some other peripheral at the same interrupt, i.e. an
interrupt conflict. The interrupt in an ISA card is selected at hardware
setup. Usually, ISA interrupts do not suit being shared. AFAIK, neither the
AHA-1542CF driver nor the hardware can use shared interrupts.

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

------------------------------

From: "Mike91" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: partitions
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:24:23 +0100

David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9filu9$d5l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Yes it will. Although I would go for Mandrake 8 or Red Hat 7.1, they
> both come with a series 2.4 kernel by default which will save you a lot
> of messing around.
>
> You don't really need a boot partition with recent versions of lilo,
> although I tend to use one out of habit. It should be able 10 Megs.
>
> The swap partition is generally suggested to be double your RAM.
>
> I would also have a seperate partitions for /home (where you keep all your
> datafiles (like c:\my documents\) and user config info (like
> c:\windows\profiles\). How big this needs to be depends on how much you
> plan to put on the system.
>
> Both Mandrake and Red Hat have partition editors and formatting tools as
> part of the installer.

Thanks a lot for the reply.  I just have to take the leap and do it now!
mike
--
Remove NO and SPAM to reply

------------------------------

From: "Herb Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat,nl.comp.os.linux.installatie
Subject: Re: Can't Telnet, FTP or Send Email to Linux Box
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:30:49 -0500

telnetd and ftpd are run from the inetd/xinetd "superserver"
and do not show up under ps unless a session is currently active.

Do you connect, and then shortly, the connection is closed? If so
look at /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny. Are you trying to ftp
as root? /etc/ftpusers contains a list of userids that are specifically
NOT allowed to use ftp for security reasons.

Good luck.

"CB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:TbGS6.107139$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I'm wrestling with a similar problem (can't telnet/ftp).  I did do as
> suggested below and discovered that telnet-server and wuftpd were not
> installed.  I then installed them from the CD.  So now the file
> /etc/xinetd/telnet exists (as well as /etc/xinetd/wu-ftpd).  I have
> commented out the 'disable = yes' line in both.  I then re-ran
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd
>  restart.  Then I tried a ps -e to find the telnet process and had no
luck.
> I also cannot telnet to the machine from another computer.  (I can,
however,
> telnet to itself).  Any suggestions are appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Chuck
>

> "Dean Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Hi Frank,
> >
> > > I just installed the "boxed" version 7.1 of Red Hat Linux using a
custom
> > > install.  I made sure the firewall was disabled, yet I cannot Telnet,
> FTP
> > > or send email to my Linux box. I have network connectivity including a
> > > working DNS server - I can ping to/from the box via hostname.
> >
> > First you need to check to make sure that the packages are installed.  A
> > simple test is to do the following:
> >
> > rpm -qa | grep telnet-server
> > rpm -qa | grep wuftpd
> > rpm -qa | grep sendmail
> >
> > If you have checked all of this and they all return packages then you
have
> the
> > correct packages installed.  The next thing is to check the files:
> >
> > /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
> > /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd
> > /etc/xinetd.d/sendmail
> >
> > and check to make sure that they don't have the line: "disable=yes" in
> them.
> > If they do, you need to remove the line or change the line to read
> something
> > like: "disable=no".  You can then issue the command:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd
> > restart.
> >
> > This should restart your services.
> >
> > You might want to take a look in /var/log/messages to see whether or not
> > xinetd logged what services were started when it restarted.
> >
> > See ya
> >
> > Dean Thompson
> >
> > --

> > | Dean Thompson              | E-mail  -
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
> |
> > | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
> |
> > | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
> |
> > | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077
> |
> > | Melbourne, Australia       |

Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group
www.herbstein.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
314 952-4601

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Bosschaert)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: "NFS serverlockdsvc: Invalid argument" error
Date: 5 Jun 2001 07:42:08 -0700

In Suse 7:
In file /sbin/init.d, as root,
REPLACE

case `uname -r` in
    0.*|1.*|2.0.*) exit 0
esac

WITH

case `uname -r` in
    0.*|1.*|2.0.*|2.4.*) exit 0
esac

if a kernel 2.4.* is started, the script abort. Now the script will be
aborted only for kernels previous to 2.0.*

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Bosschaert)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 5 Jun 2001 07:44:03 -0700

Correction on previous posting:
In Suse 7:
In file /sbin/init.d/nfsserver, as root,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ballai)
Subject: Red Hat Newbie -- Can I do this?
Date: 5 Jun 2001 07:46:14 -0700

Being fed up with Win 98, I want to give Red Hat a go with the thought
of eventually leaving Gates and his evil empire behind.

Here's what I have: Win 98 installed on an IBM Aptiva k6-2 300 with 64
mb built in LT WIN modem Kensington Turbo Mouse and Epson 600 printer.
Can I leave this undisturbed and install RH Linux 7.1 on a partition
and still get on line with earthlink and have my peripherals working?
Alternatively, is there a way to run WIN 98 in emulation on RH Linux,
so I can use it as necessary and be done with it? I can always add
more memory if need be.

------------------------------

From: Mr.Yma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: How i can access my VPOP3 accout ? RH7.0
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:43:54 +0200

I create a vdomain and a vpopuser on my server but I can't connecto to
the server with POP3 protocol ?
How i can access my VPOP3 accout ?
The normal accounts work properly and I can download the mail messages
from the server.

------------------------------

From: "Sean Dynan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: HELP! Unable to mount a partition
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 16:02:44 +0100

Thanks Davide!  That worked a treat.  Shame LILO doesn't do it.

Thanks again.
--Sean.

news:9fijgt$45egs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: Is this fixable?
Date: 5 Jun 2001 14:50:46 GMT

Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Colin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Why do you think that installing a new glibc will break old executables?
>
>Eh? Surely in this case it should do. The symbols are versioned, and
>a 2.1 to 2.2 change should cause most 2.1 symbols not to be found in
>the new 2.2 library, no?

Try it yourself. Build a Debian potato chroot (fetch base2_2.tgz and
untar it somewhere), which gives you glibc 2.1.3. Put woody in your
/etc/apt/sources.list, then apt-get install libc6 (which is 2.2.3). Easy
experiment. I had to do the install run twice because a few things got
installed in the wrong order for some reason, but everything still
appears to work at the end. I've done this plenty of times before.

Oh yeah, and:

[cjw44@riva ~]$ objdump -p /lib/libc.so.6 | \
> perl -00ne 'print, exit if /Version definitions/'
Version definitions:
1 0x01 0x0865f4e6 libc.so.6
2 0x00 0x0d696910 GLIBC_2.0
3 0x00 0x0d696911 GLIBC_2.1
        GLIBC_2.0
4 0x00 0x09691f71 GLIBC_2.1.1
        GLIBC_2.1
5 0x00 0x09691f72 GLIBC_2.1.2
        GLIBC_2.1.1
6 0x00 0x09691f73 GLIBC_2.1.3
        GLIBC_2.1.2
7 0x00 0x0d696912 GLIBC_2.2
        GLIBC_2.1.3
8 0x00 0x09691a71 GLIBC_2.2.1
        GLIBC_2.2
9 0x00 0x09691a72 GLIBC_2.2.2
        GLIBC_2.2.1
10 0x00 0x09691a73 GLIBC_2.2.3
        GLIBC_2.2.2

>> (Hint: it won't, at least not if done properly.) Of course, installing
>> it by brute force is never a good idea.
>
>Yes. But I really doubt if 2.1 and 2.2 can coexist with equal status
>(I'm not about to try it just to find out!). Now libc5 and libc6 we
>know have no problem living with each other.

No, I wouldn't think that trying to get them to coexist is a good idea.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"She's always been touchy about her age - even though it's not

------------------------------

From: Luc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: blinking command prompt screen
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:30:05 -0000

Hi

My screen keeps on blinking on and off. I know that it's probably a
problem with the screen resolution for my monitor. But I don't really know
where to fix it. Could someone give me a step by step.

I'm running Red Hat 7.1

Thanks

------------------------------

From: "JohnM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB Cable Modem
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:34:49 GMT

I am trying to setup mandrake 7.2 to use my Motorola DM100 cable modem
connected to my computer via my USB port. My IP is Adelphia.net. Adelphia
doesn't support Linux and I don't know what PPPD network driver to use. When
I try different ones it says "No Ethernet card found". Well..... I'm not
running an ethernet card, helloooo

Any help would be appreciated

John

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 11:01:23 -0500
From: Chad Whitten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: redhat rescue disk

try booting with the cd and type rescue at the boot prompt.  if that
doesnt work, look on the cd for a disk image like rescue.img, the do
dd if=/mnt/cdrom/images/rescue.img of=/dev/fd0

--
Chad Whitten
Network/Systems Administrator

------------------------------

From: "Zack Z." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mounting User-Writeable Drives
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:02:34 GMT

I got a quick question I'm sure someone can answer; I have a partition
on one of my two hard drives that I would like to mount so that someone
with user-level access can write to these drives. I am familiar with the
mount command as well as the /etc/fstab folder. I have a feeling it has
something to do with permissions, although I haven't been able to figure
it out yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Zack Z." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB Cable Modem
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:05:04 GMT

JohnM wrote:

> I am trying to setup mandrake 7.2 to use my Motorola DM100 cable modem
> connected to my computer via my USB port. My IP is Adelphia.net. Adelphia
> doesn't support Linux and I don't know what PPPD network driver to use. When
> I try different ones it says "No Ethernet card found". Well..... I'm not
> running an ethernet card, helloooo
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> John

You're better off using a Windows box to act as a router between your
linux box and your cable modem, as Linux does not support USB very well
and I don't even know if a USB driver exists for a cable modem. You may
want to do some searching for that on www.sourceforge.net or
www.freshmeat.net.

------------------------------

From: Axel Bergerhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Delaying eth0 initialization
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 18:25:43 +0100

Butch Hinton wrote:

> Steve Martin wrote:
>
> > Richard Young wrote:
> > >
> > >    I have the same problem with RedHat 7.0. I have discovered that if I run
> > > "insmod 3c509" after boot then startx and activate the module in netcfg then my
> > > network works ok. My /etc/modules.conf looks like it has the correct enteries.
>But
> > > it won't load the module at boot. Anybody have any ideas....Thanks....Rich
> >
> > Under 7.0/7.1, you should be able to build a file called /etc/rc.modules
> > in which you can manually modprobe your modules, and it'll be run at
> > startup from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. Be sure to put execute permission
> > on rc.modules.
>
> I had the same problem when I installed Redhat 7.0 in two systems with 3c509 cards.
> What I found out was in the modules.conf file if I put:
> alias eth0 3c509
> options 3c509 io=0x300 irq=10
> I would get the delaying eth0 initialization
>
> I kept playing and found out if I just put the line "alias eth0 3c509" and
> dropped the options line, eth0 initializes every time I boot

I had similar problems with SuSE.
My solution:
- Run configuration utility under DOS (3c5x9cfg.exe), switch off pnp, auto, .. and note
  irq setting.
- put options 3c509 irq=xx to modules.conf, _not_ io=..

Axel Bergerhoff

------------------------------

From: Hajo Drescher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: i386,i486,i586 ...
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 12:36:12 -0400

Hi

I was wondering about the meaning of these
numbers when I install for example Redhat 7.1.
Ok, I know these are the generation of the processors.
But, all RPMS are in a directory i386 - for Redhat,
does it mean that these are compiled for a i386 ???
   why do they do so ???
For Madrake I find a i586 directory, so is it more efficient
for Pentiums, and K6 and so on????
I would appreciate if someone coud clarify this question
or give me some reference

hajo

------------------------------

From: "Chris Coyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat Newbie -- Can I do this?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:40:37 -0400

"Michael Ballai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Being fed up with Win 98, I want to give Red Hat a go with the thought
> of eventually leaving Gates and his evil empire behind.
>
> Here's what I have: Win 98 installed on an IBM Aptiva k6-2 300 with 64
> mb built in LT WIN modem Kensington Turbo Mouse and Epson 600 printer.
> Can I leave this undisturbed and install RH Linux 7.1 on a partition
> and still get on line with earthlink and have my peripherals working?
> Alternatively, is there a way to run WIN 98 in emulation on RH Linux,
> so I can use it as necessary and be done with it? I can always add
> more memory if need be.

Start by reading this:
http://www.kernel.org/LDP/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/index.html

------------------------------

From: "MD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat
Subject: how to setup mail server...
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:48:30 -0400

Hi,
Is there any step by step information to setup a mail server in Redhat 7 ?,
which is sendmail or postfix configuration for a static IP which I will need
to setup smtp/pop. Pls help..

Thanks in advance,
mrcopter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: i386,i486,i586 ...
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:55:26 GMT

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 12:36:12 -0400, Hajo Drescher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi
>
>I was wondering about the meaning of these
>numbers when I install for example Redhat 7.1.
>Ok, I know these are the generation of the processors.
>But, all RPMS are in a directory i386 - for Redhat,
>does it mean that these are compiled for a i386 ???
>   why do they do so ???
>For Madrake I find a i586 directory, so is it more efficient
>for Pentiums, and K6 and so on????
>I would appreciate if someone coud clarify this question
>or give me some reference

i386 : 386 and later processors
i586 : optimized for pentium and later processors
i686 : optimized for pentium pro and later processors

------------------------------

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Root File System Corruption
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 22:58:41 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Morelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter T. Breuer"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Have a look, and you may well find out.  Peter
>
>> I looked.  Looks like binary trash to me.  I'd be happier
> How long is it? If it's 40bytes, then it's some random tmp file. If it's
> 4096 bytes then it well might be a block of an executable.

It's 191 bytes.  Couldn't it be the last block of an executable?

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest