Linux-Setup Digest #391, Volume #21               Thu, 7 Jun 01 11:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  kernel 2.4.5: create_module: Operation not permitted (Emilio)
  Re: kernel 2.4.5: create_module: Operation not permitted ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Installing Mandrake 8.0 ("George S")
  ways to protect webserver  from hackers (manoj)
  Re: RH7.1 & "LABEL" in /etc/fstab (Guillaume =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E9nin?=)
  Re: RH7.1 & "LABEL" in /etc/fstab (Guillaume =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E9nin?=)
  XWindows (Davorin Vlahovic)
  Re: Weird lilo problem, never seen before (Clement)
  Re: rc.local file. (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: kernel 2.4.5: create_module: Operation not permitted (Emilio)
  update or install RH 7.1? (Damon)
  Re: New Server: Hardware under Linux ("Byron Miller")
  console based rpm gui update tool??  purp, glitter: neither seems to work
(inetquestion)
  Linux with Integrated Graphics card on Motherboard ("BellSouth News")
  Re: kernel 2.4.5: create_module: Operation not permitted ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: XWindows ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: ways to protect webserver  from hackers ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Virtual Hosts and /home/user/public_html (root@localho$t)
  Re: kernel 2.4.5: create_module: Operation not permitted (Craig Kelley)
  Re: console based rpm gui update tool??  purp, glitter: neither seems to work (Craig
Kelley)
  Re: Linux with Integrated Graphics card on Motherboard (Craig Kelley)
  Re: RH7.1 and SoundBlaster Live! (Randy Pratt)

From: Emilio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: kernel 2.4.5: create_module: Operation not permitted
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:20:16 GMT

Hi everybody! I've just upgraded my old-multipatched ;-) 2.2.16 kernel
(S.u.S.E. 7.0) to the brand new 2.4.5 version and I've also upgraded all
the utilities (included modutils) following the Documentation/Changes
file.
Now I've got the following problem: When normal users (root works fine)
try to load some modules (for example alsa sound modules and cdrom) they
get the following error:

/lib/modules/2.4.5/misc/snd-mixer-oss.o: create_module: Operation not
permitted
/lib/modules/2.4.5/misc/snd-mixer-oss.o: insmod snd-pcm-oss failed

I've tried to revert back to 2.2.16 and everything is fine. So it
shouldn't be a /dev directory permissions problem neither a problem
related to modprobe permissions.
Please help me my system is hung!

--
Emilio Federici
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:34:35 +0200

In comp.os.linux.setup Emilio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now I've got the following problem: When normal users (root works fine)
> try to load some modules (for example alsa sound modules and cdrom) they
> get the following error:

> /lib/modules/2.4.5/misc/snd-mixer-oss.o: create_module: Operation not
> permitted
> /lib/modules/2.4.5/misc/snd-mixer-oss.o: insmod snd-pcm-oss failed

Normal users can't and never have been allowed to load kernel modules.

> I've tried to revert back to 2.2.16 and everything is fine. So it

No it isn't. Pray tell how you manage to get users other than root to
load modules under any kernel? Give us a clue (such as the command you
are using!).

Peter

------------------------------

From: "George S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Mandrake 8.0
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 04:18:08 -0700

Mine did the same thing. I don't know why. I ended up downloading the iso
image files from Tucows, and it worked fine.
http://thecrossings.linux.tucows.com/conhtml/preview/73953.html

news:VdHT6.73418$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (manoj)
Subject: ways to protect webserver  from hackers
Date: 7 Jun 2001 04:39:15 -0700

can anybody guide me what all i can possibly do to protect my webserver from hackers

i have redhat 5.2 linux installation with apache and mysql

thanx

manoj

------------------------------

From: Guillaume =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E9nin?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7.1 & "LABEL" in /etc/fstab
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:43:34 +0200

Craig Kelley a écrit :

> man fstab

Ok thanks.
I had first tried this on my system before using the forum but with no
help. The reason was the translated(french) man pages are not up to
date. I have found the answer in original man.

--

========================
Guillaume Hénin

Assistance technique aux établissements
Division Informatique
Rectorat de Rouen
Tél.: 02 35 14 75 90
Fax : 02 35 14 77 52
Mel : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Si on peut trouver moins que rien,
 c'est que rien vaut déjà quelque chose."
                     R. DEVOS

========================

------------------------------

From: Guillaume =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E9nin?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:46:30 +0200

Duane Healing a écrit :

> for D in `grep "[hs]d" /proc/partitions  | tr -s " " | cut -f5 -d" " | \
> grep "...."`; do echo /dev/$D; tune2fs -l /dev/$D | \
> grep "Filesystem volume name:"; done

sorry but that was not what I'm looking for. I wanted to know where is
written the value of a "label" for a volume.

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davorin Vlahovic)
Subject: XWindows
Date: 7 Jun 2001 11:42:20 GMT

I have a small problem concerning XWindows font server. O.S. is Linux Red Hat

6.0. The thing is that when I try to start X, they throw a "cannot find fixed
font" error message at me. I have set FontPath for my fonts, ISO8859-2, but
they don't work. The default setting "unix:/-1" doesn't work 'either

I have also tried to run xfs a million times with various confs, but it still
 doesn't work.

There is one way this piece of s*** works! It happenes only when I put under

FontPath some directory that hasn't been worked through with mkfontdir!!!

Is this weird or what>>>PLEASE HELP<<< my baby sister will kill me if that stuff

won't work till Saturday!!!!!
--

...of all the things I've lost,
   I miss my mind the most...

------------------------------

From: Clement <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Weird lilo problem, never seen before
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:56:11 GMT

Lilo installs the boot sector on the boot drive.  Can we install the
boot sector on another drive?  Do you know how to do that?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Clement

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: rc.local file.
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:01:53 GMT

On 06 Jun 2001 12:58:36 -0700, Micah Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher) writes:
>
>> On 06 Jun 2001 18:25:54 +0300, Markku Kolkka
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Services are started at boot by scripts in the /etc/rc.d/init.d
>> >directory and symlinks to those scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc[0-6].d
>>
>> Not on all systems. This is a SysV'ism that only _some_ Linux distros
>> have adopted.
>
>s/_some_/most/

I'll stick by '_some_ distros', but give you '_most_ commercial
distros'.

>At least, AFAICT.  But now I'm curious - what distros /don't/ use
>SysV's init?

I didn't say that they didn't use SysV's init. I said that they didn't
use SysV's phylosophy of organizing the init scripts.

I'd guess that most of the small distros (like tomsrtbt, etc.) use the
BSD-style init scripts, and at least one major distro (Slackware)
assuredly doesn't use them (although it has of late supported a bit of
it).

>I've never liked the fact that I had to download certain
>things from UNIX-sites when I'm building a Linux setup from
>"scratch".

And I don't like having to go to hardware stores when I'm into a home
reno DIY project. But, that's a part of the definition of home reno
DIY, just like "building your own Unix system" is _defined_ (at least
in part) as "downloading certain things from Unix-sites". And don't
tell me that "Linux isn't Unix", because it's close enough to make the
differences moot.

>How else do people do it?

Either stick with the pre-packaged commercial products built
specifically for the distribution you use, or download apps (source,
RPM, TGZ, or whatever) and install them yourself. Of course, there are
other options, like hire someone to do it for you, but they get
expensive.  ;-)

>Micah

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Emilio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:30:19 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.setup Emilio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Now I've got the following problem: When normal users (root works fine)
> > try to load some modules (for example alsa sound modules and cdrom) they
> > get the following error:
>
> > /lib/modules/2.4.5/misc/snd-mixer-oss.o: create_module: Operation not
> > permitted
> > /lib/modules/2.4.5/misc/snd-mixer-oss.o: insmod snd-pcm-oss failed
>
> Normal users can't and never have been allowed to load kernel modules.
>
> > I've tried to revert back to 2.2.16 and everything is fine. So it
>
> No it isn't. Pray tell how you manage to get users other than root to
> load modules under any kernel? Give us a clue (such as the command you
> are using!).
>
> Peter

OK, OK! Maybe I was a little bit misleading in my first message. The
problem is that users can't access devices that are associated to
modules in modules.conf, in particular cdroms:
emilio@Linux:~ > mount /cdrom
mount: /dev/sr0: unknown device

thing that wasn't happening with the 2.2.16.

-
Emilio Federici
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:27013758

------------------------------

From: Damon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: update or install RH 7.1?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 09:38:07 -0400

Hi.

I was running RH 7.0 on a dual-boot with Win ME.  My modem
(USR Performance Pro Internal PCI) required kernel 2.3 or
higher.  Being a rookie, I decided to wait for a new kernel
in a distro rather than compiling myself.  Also, I have not
been able to get Linux to detect my scanner or my digital
camera (Canon ELPH 2100).

I updated my 7.0 to RH 7.1 as per directions that came with
the CD.  This changed nothing as far as getting my hardware
to work.  Should I *install* rh 7.1 instead?  I have no
files on my Linux partitions that I am unwilling to part
with.  Any tips?

Thanks,

Damon

------------------------------

From: "Byron Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: New Server: Hardware under Linux
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:46:50 GMT

My one recommendation, don't spend so much on a raid/caching controller if
all
you will use is two drives. Pretty pointless.  And for a server, your not
going to
need to worry about video card, monitor or cdrom speed necessarily. Drop
those
components to max out on memory.

-byron

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: inetquestion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.rpm,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: console based rpm gui update tool??  purp, glitter: neither seems to work
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 08:49:55 -0400

My system is redhat v7.1 x86
I'm looking for a console based gui to manage rpm updates.  So far I've tried
two different tools and had no success using either.  Are there any free console
based gui rpm update tools?

I install the current version of purp today and upon running get the following error:

[ Purp 1.1.0 - (C)1998-2001 Anders Karlsson - press "A" for licence info ]
Purp: Oops! Caught a SIGSEGV.. Shutting down.. (fatal error)

is there anything else you are required to do after setup??

Nex I tried glitter, which appears to have some old dependencies.
When I installed newer versions of the software it was looking for it kept
asking for the old ones.  Then when I tried the older versions, it had conflicts with
other software.

Thanks in advance,

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "BellSouth News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux with Integrated Graphics card on Motherboard
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:59:06 -0400

Anyone,

I am trying to get RH 7.0 up and running on a new POS Gateway PC (K-6). The
Graphics card (and most other devices for that matter) are embeded on the
motherboard. It is designed so that some of my system ram is used as video
ram, no idea of this when I bought system.

Anyway when RH is installing it shows me the Trident CyberBlade (generic) at
the point of the X-window config. If I select Test Config my screen goes
black for a minute or so and then comes back to the Installation GUI. It
never seems to install properly.

After successfully installing RH I can work great in the character mode but
if I do a startx my screen goes black and I never come back. Seems that
drivers are not working for X-windows on this motherboard. How did the GUI
install run if Linux will not support this graphics card?

Any ideas how to fix this issue???????

Info on Motherborad
Model: MP4M-23AGM
Rev: 1.0
Date: 00/08/22
PCB NO: BA41-00179A

Told by Gateway that graphics card info is:
VT 8501 [492VGA] AGP 2D/3D Graphics Accelerator.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:03:54 +0200

In comp.os.linux.setup Emilio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> OK, OK! Maybe I was a little bit misleading in my first message. The
> problem is that users can't access devices that are associated to
> modules in modules.conf, in particular cdroms:
> emilio@Linux:~ > mount /cdrom
> mount: /dev/sr0: unknown device

Interesting. Don't you have the right aliases in /etc/modules.conf
for it? And isn't it /dev/scd0, not /dev/sr0? I'd imagine either the
names or the aliases or the majors have changed. Try it with something
you know hasn't changed, like floppy!

> thing that wasn't happening with the 2.2.16.

Well, so? You changed the kernel. You have to change modutils to go
with it. You did, did you not? Are you running devfs? Did you enable
kmod? What are the kernel messages you receive? Give us some info,
don't leave it blank!

  oboe:/usr/info% ls -l /dev/scsi/cdrom/scd0
  brw-r-----   1 root     disk      11,   0 Jul 18  1994 /dev/scsi/cdrom/scd0

and why are you trying to access a scsi disk? Do you HAVE a scsi disk?
Show me it on the /proc/scsi printout. Are you perhaps relying on a
scsi emulation that is no longer needed?

There's mounds and mounds of things you are not telling. Don't keep it
to yourself. You can't get help if you keep secrets!

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XWindows
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:07:50 +0200

Davorin Vlahovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a small problem concerning XWindows font server. O.S. is Linux Red Hat

> 6.0. The thing is that when I try to start X, they throw a "cannot find fixed
> font" error message at me. I have set FontPath for my fonts, ISO8859-2, but

so add the directory with that font to your font path.

> they don't work. The default setting "unix:/-1" doesn't work 'either

It does SO work. And unix:/-1 is not the "default setting". That's if
you have a (working) font server.

> I have also tried to run xfs a million times with various confs, but it still
>  doesn't work.

And you don't. So that's your problem.

> There is one way this piece of s*** works! It happenes only when I put under
> FontPath some directory that hasn't been worked through with mkfontdir!!!
> Is this weird or what>>>PLEASE HELP<<< my baby sister will kill me if that stuff
> won't work till Saturday!!!!!

Are you trolling? I was about to help you, but saying that "it only
hurts when I hit myself" stops me in my tracks. Run mkfontdir on your
font dirs. Take a non-working xfs out of your fontpath or fix it.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ways to protect webserver  from hackers
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:04:56 +0200

manoj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> can anybody guide me what all i can possibly do to protect my webserver from hackers

Webservers are not particularly prone to hacker atatck. Apache on its own has
no real exploits. Of course, cgi scripts do have.

> i have redhat 5.2 linux installation with apache and mysql

Then you are wide open anyway. Get the errata.

Peter

------------------------------

From: root@localho$t <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Virtual Hosts and /home/user/public_html
Crossposted-To: alt.apache.configuration
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:42:33 GMT

Hi,

I set up some Virtualhosts on my server. Right. It walks :

====== Vhosts.conf ======
NameVirtualHost 123.456.789.10

<VirtualHost 123.456.789.10>
ServerName www.domain.tld
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 123.456.789.10>
ServerName subdomain.domain.tld
DocumentRoot /var/www/virtual/subdomain
</VirtualHost>
============

Now, I test 'VirtualHomePages.conf' and/or 'DynamicVhosts.conf', in order
to enable "http://username.domain.tld"; to give content of
"/home/username/public_html. It's okay, it walks :

====== VirtualHomePages.conf ======
UseCanonicalName Off
LogFormat "%V %h %l %u %t \"r%\" %s %b" vcommon
CustomLog logs/access_log vcommon
VirtualDocumentRoot /home/%1/public_html
======

BUT : now, any requests to the Virtualhosts (Vhosts.conf, eg :
http://www.domain.tld) or even the main ServerName don't walk anymore !

Is there a solution to BOTH enable VirtualHomepages and 'normal'
Apache use ?

Thx a lot

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 07 Jun 2001 08:45:02 -0600

Emilio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.setup Emilio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Now I've got the following problem: When normal users (root works fine)
> > > try to load some modules (for example alsa sound modules and cdrom) they
> > > get the following error:
> >
> > > /lib/modules/2.4.5/misc/snd-mixer-oss.o: create_module: Operation not
> > > permitted
> > > /lib/modules/2.4.5/misc/snd-mixer-oss.o: insmod snd-pcm-oss failed
> >
> > Normal users can't and never have been allowed to load kernel modules.
> >
> > > I've tried to revert back to 2.2.16 and everything is fine. So it
> >
> > No it isn't. Pray tell how you manage to get users other than root to
> > load modules under any kernel? Give us a clue (such as the command you
> > are using!).
> >
> > Peter
>
> OK, OK! Maybe I was a little bit misleading in my first message. The
> problem is that users can't access devices that are associated to
> modules in modules.conf, in particular cdroms:
> emilio@Linux:~ > mount /cdrom
> mount: /dev/sr0: unknown device
>
> thing that wasn't happening with the 2.2.16.

You need to compile your kernel with module auto-loading support.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.rpm,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux,linux.redhat
Date: 07 Jun 2001 08:49:11 -0600

inetquestion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> My system is redhat v7.1 x86
> I'm looking for a console based gui to manage rpm updates.  So far I've tried
> two different tools and had no success using either.  Are there any free console
> based gui rpm update tools?
>
> I install the current version of purp today and upon running get the following error:
>
> [ Purp 1.1.0 - (C)1998-2001 Anders Karlsson - press "A" for licence info ]
> Purp: Oops! Caught a SIGSEGV.. Shutting down.. (fatal error)
>
> is there anything else you are required to do after setup??
>
> Nex I tried glitter, which appears to have some old dependencies.
> When I installed newer versions of the software it was looking for it kept
> asking for the old ones.  Then when I tried the older versions, it had conflicts with
> other software.

Oft times you can compile the source RPM to avoide these kinds of
conflicts (it links the package to your current set of libraries):

rpm --rebuild packagename-1.2.3.src.rpm
rpm -i /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/packagename-1.2.3.i386.rpm

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Jun 2001 08:50:45 -0600

"BellSouth News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> After successfully installing RH I can work great in the character mode but
> if I do a startx my screen goes black and I never come back. Seems that
> drivers are not working for X-windows on this motherboard. How did the GUI
> install run if Linux will not support this graphics card?

The install uses standard VGA mode.

> Any ideas how to fix this issue???????

Either tell Xconfigurator to use VGA only, or buy a commercial X11
server that supports your card (metrox, xinside).

From: Randy Pratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: RH7.1 and SoundBlaster Live!
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:54:22 -0400

Uh-oh.  Indeed this is the Gateway OEM SBLive! with digital output and
Boston Acoustics speakers.  I looked through the archives of the
email list at http://opensource.creative.com and saw what you referred
to.  There doesn't seem to be any fix to the emu10k driver as yet to
get this up and running. :o<

Randy

--
Randy Pratt   -   Agere Systems
Read Channel Design   -   Storage Products Organization

There are 3 kinds of people in this world:
                     those who can count, and those who can't

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest