From: "BellSouth News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lucent Tech Soft Modem AMR
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:29:13 -0400

I am looking for drivers to make the above modem work with my RedHat 7.0
install.  Any ideas if their is not specific drivers for such a modem how
and if I can use generic modem drivers somehow???? The modem is integrated
on the motherboard of the PC.

Thanks,
Miller

------------------------------

From: Richard Everhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help installing WindowMaker
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:36:01 GMT

I'm trying to install the latest version of WindowMaker but I'm at a
point
where I'm not sure what to do next.  I first uninstalled the last
version
after which I downloaded all the needed rpms.  All installed fine and I
was able to install all the rpms that were needed to satisfy any
dependencies,
except for the WindowMaker rpm itself.  When I tried to install
WindowMaker-0.65.0-1.i686.rpm, I got the following:

error: failed dependencies:
        cpp is needed by WindowMaker-0.65.0-1
        xinitrc >= 3.0 is needed by WindowMaker-0.65.0-1

So, I downloaded cpp-3.0-0.20010320.i686.rpm and tried to install it,
but
got the following:

file /usr/bin/cpp from install of cpp-3.0-0.20010320 conflicts with file
from package gcc-2.95.2-149
file /usr/share/man/man1/cpp.1.gz from install of cpp-3.0-0.20010320
conflicts with file from package gcc-2.95.2-149

I suppose I could use --force but I don't really want to screw up my gcc
installation.  Any ideas?

As for xinitrc, I looked for an appropriate rpm for xinitrc but couldn't
find
one.  xinitrc should come with XFree86 (the version I have is 4.0.2) so
should
I upgrade to 4.0.3 to get the correct version of xinitrc?  Thanks!

Rich

------------------------------

From: Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X Runs Only as Superuser
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 22:25:51 -0400

Here are some messages that happen instead of X starting when I execute
either xinit or startx as other than root:

bash: /home/username/.bashrc: permission denied
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/username/.Xauthority:
permission \
         denied (600)
Gnome error: could not create per-user Gnome directory
</home/username/.gnome> \
        aborting (d700)
warning: unable to lock ICE authority file: /home/username/.ICEauthority
(600)
errors from the xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server keymap/xfree86 \
        compiled/xfree.xkm

If I login as root, not of these errors occur and X runs normally. What
should the permissions on these files be? How do I regain access to X as
a normal user?

RedHat 6.2

TIA
--
A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under
control.                Proverbs 29:11 NKJV

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/ <- Not just a FAQ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Could symlinks prevent /mnt/cdrom access
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 02:49:47 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:55:46 GMT, sleepy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I did a chmod 777 on the /mnt/kenwood directory and now it works 4.0, but I
> still cannot use the plextor cdrw to read cd's.  It works in xcdroast (well
> kinda) but I cannot view it's contents in any other place.  Yes, I did try
> to chmod it, but no dice.  I'm almost positive it has to do with scsi
> emulation.  Should I create two separate fstab entries for the same device.
> One to do scsi emulation for writing and one just to read or do you think it
> would freak out.  Thanks.  Sleepy

You don't mount a cdrom for writing, you write through the SCSI generic
device (probably /dev/sg0 or 0,0,0).  I am a bit confused that you are
trying to mount directories on directories.  If you are using SCSI
emulation for the plextor only, the fstab entry should be something like:

/mnt/cdrom /dev/plexcdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom  0 0

and /dev/plexcdrom should likely be a symlink to /dev/scd0 or whichever
scd it is (it is not an hd if using scsi emulation).

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Fat32 partition missing... Help!
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 03:04:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Luminescent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> To provide more information you can download Findpart at
>>
>> http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm
>>
>> do
>>
>> findpart all fp.txt
>>
>> and post the content from fp.txt.
>>
>> I recommend that you do not write anything to hda until the nature of
>> the problem is known.
>> --
>> Svend Olaf
>
> Wow, thanks for the quick reply! Here's fp.txt...
>
> Findpart, version 3.98.
> Copyright Svend Olaf Mikkelsen, 2001.
>
> Searches for partitions type 01, 04, 06, 07, 0B, 0C, 0E, 82, 83,
> plus Fdisk F6 and Lilo sectors. Information based on bootsectors
> is marked B. If the disk is larger than supported by BIOS, the
> supported part of the disk is examined. Disks are numbered from 1.
>
> OS:  DOS 7.10   WINDOWS 4.10
>
> Disk: 1   Cylinders: 3328   Heads: 255   Sectors: 63   MB: 26106
>
> -PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
>     0 - 0C       63 53464257 26105    0   1  1 3327 254 63 B    OK
>
> -----FAT CHS -Size Cl --Root -Good -Rep. Maybe --Bad YYMMDD DataMB
>     0   1 33 13047 16      2 13047     0     0     0 000101  21366
>
> Partitions according to partition tables on first harddisk:
>
> -PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
>     0 1*0C       63 53464257 26105    0   1  1 3327*254 63 OK   OK
>
> Disk: 2   Cylinders: 10587   Heads: 240   Sectors: 63   MB: 78162
>
> -PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
>     0 - 83       63    48132    23    0   1  1    3  44 63 B0   OK
>
> -----FAT CHS -Size Cl --Root -Good -Rep. Maybe --Bad YYMMDD DataMB
>   725   0 50   Second FAT not found.
>
> Partitions according to partition tables on second harddisk:
>
> -PCyl N ID -----Rel -----Num ---MB -Start CHS- --End CHS-- BS  CHS
>     0 1*83       63    48132    23    0   1  1    2 254 63 OK   NB
>                                       0   1  1    3  44 63  Actual
>     0 2 05    48195 24547320 11985    3   0  1 1023 254 63      NB
>                                       3  45  1 1626 164 63  Actual
>     0 3 0C 24595515135476145 66150 1023 254 63 1023 254 63 NB   NB
>                                    1626 165  110586 179 63  Actual
>
>     3+1 83       63 24402672 11915    3   1  1 1023 254 63 OK   NB
>                                       3  46  1 1617  29 63  Actual
>     3+2 05 24402735   144585    70 1023   0  1 1023 254 63      NB
>                                    1617  30  1 1626 164 63  Actual
>
>  1617+1 82       63   144522    70 1023   1  1 1023 254 63      NB
>                                    1617  31  1 1626 164 63  Actual
>
> "Second FAT not found"... Hmm... Of course, given that you're the guy who
> actually WROTE this program (impressive!), I'm sure you'll have some insight
> as to how I would go about fixing it... I'm open to deleting my Linux
> partitions, and reinstalling Linux in a better mannor, if that might help.

I would guess from this that you are confused about which is hda and hdb.
The above seems to indicate that hda contains a single FAT32 partition
(type c) and /dev/hdb contains what you thought was on hda.  There is no
/dev/hda3, hence your errors trying to mount it.  Try mounting /dev/hda1
as vfat to see your C? drive or /dev/hdb3 to see your D? drive.

From: Charles Rutledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Printing - 3Com home ethernet gateway (model 3C510)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 03:48:22 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Arnold Juster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm having difficulty printing through the gateway mentioned above.
> At the bottom of this post there is a description of how the print
> server setup works from w/i windows, a link to product details on the
> gateway and copies of the /etc/hosts and /etc/printcap files.

> When I scan the gateway (while running linux) for open ports, the port
> 505 is reported to be available for printing.

It appears to be acting as a standard LPR printer and I'll refer you to
the Printing-HOWTO for the gory details on setting up the lpd server.
Generally you'll have an entry in your printcap that might look something
like this:

        lp|3Com Print Server \
          :rm=printserver.domain: \
          :rp=lp: \
          :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
          :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/logfile:

This will work for standard BSD LPR.  LPRng may require some variations.

--
Charles Rutledge
Centauri Consulting Services

------------------------------

From: inetquestion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.rpm,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: console based rpm gui update tool??  purp, glitter: neither seems to work
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 22:51:47 -0400

My system is redhat v7.1 x86
I'm looking for a console based gui to manage rpm updates.  So far I've tried
two different tools and had no success using either.  Are there any free console
based gui rpm update tools?

I install the current version of purp today and upon running get the following error:

[ Purp 1.1.0 - (C)1998-2001 Anders Karlsson - press "A" for licence info ]
Purp: Oops! Caught a SIGSEGV.. Shutting down.. (fatal error)

is there anything else you are required to do after setup??

Nex I tried glitter, which appears to have some old dependencies.
When I installed newer versions of the software it was looking for it kept
asking for the old ones.  Then when I tried the older versions, it had conflicts with
other software.

Thanks in advance,

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Startup patch for Y2K-incompliant board
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 04:17:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001, Angus March <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a Y2K-incompliant motherboard, and there doesn't seem to be
> much hope in me getting an upgrade for the bios. Since every digit in
> the clock seems unharmed when I start the system, except the year, it
> seems as though a simple patch to second-guess the year on startup
> would do the trick. That seems to be what some of these Dos utilities
> do from the config.sys.
> I'm a little surprised that I haven't found any documentation for a
> problem like this one, which I'd expect to be common. Am I the first
> one to think of such a thing, or is there another solution out there?

I am not that up on shell scripts, but this script or this command
added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local (or /etc/init.d/boot.local in SuSE) could do
the trick.  Substitute the 20 with whatever the difference is between your
CMOS year and current year.  Note the backticks (grave), not quotes.

#!/bin/bash
date `date +%m%d%H%M`$((`date +%Y` + 20)).`date +%S`

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Two file execution problems
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 04:36:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001, Richard Everhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Colin,
>
> Yep, that's what I thought.  I tried the dos2unix command and it worked
> great.
>
> But, what about the other problem of bash saying it can't find the
> appsrvr file?  Here's the output of the command: file appsrvr:
>
> appsrvr: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically
> linked (uses shared libs), stripped
>
> So, it's an executable but for some reason bash says it can't find it,
> even if I do ./appsrvr (when I'm in the same directory, of course).
> Any ideas?

Was it compiled on this box?  To see if it is missing any shared libs try
the following and check if you have them:

ldd /home/richard/bin/appsrvr

One other thought is that if this is running from a script or in the
shebang line of a script, and containing those nasty DOS carriage returns,
it could be that bash cannot find "appsevr^M", but you cannot tell because
^M really is an invisible carriage return in screen output.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Unallocated sectors & Proxy/firewall config
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 04:45:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 21:26:11 GMT, Confused @ Times <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm looking for some help installing Linux on an old 1.6GB HD.  When I
> try to verify the partition table I'm told there 62 unallocated sectors?
>
> Anyone know a way I can use them?

Depending upon if or how the drive is translated to more heads and less
than 1024 cylinders, it may be what falls past the last complete cyl.
What is the output of fdisk -l for that drive (my 1.6G drive is removed)?

> Also, does anyone know of any good how-to's on how to setup Linux
> (RedHat 7.1 - kernel 2.4) as a firewall and proxy server?

I'd be curious about info on iptables too.  I am currently using SuSE 7.1
which has a very easy to set up firewall, but still uses ipchains even
with 2.4.x kernels.

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.rpm,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux,linux.redhat
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 23:55:10 -0500

inetquestion wrote:

> My system is redhat v7.1 x86
> I'm looking for a console based gui to manage rpm updates.  So far I've
> tried
> two different tools and had no success using either.  Are there any free
> console based gui rpm update tools?
>
> I install the current version of purp today and upon running get the
> following error:
>
> [ Purp 1.1.0 - (C)1998-2001 Anders Karlsson - press "A" for licence info ]
> Purp: Oops! Caught a SIGSEGV.. Shutting down.. (fatal error)
>
> is there anything else you are required to do after setup??
>
> Nex I tried glitter, which appears to have some old dependencies.
> When I installed newer versions of the software it was looking for it kept
> asking for the old ones.  Then when I tried the older versions, it had
> conflicts with other software.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

console based gui is an oxymoron.

rpm will manage your packages whether from a gui or console if you let it
do its job and do not override it with things like --force and --nodeps.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yves Bellefeuille)
Subject: Re: moving Linux to another drive
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:48:00 -0400

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, "Dan Yocom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Currently I have a dual boot system on an 8.4 GB Hd. I have my HD
> partioned like this. 5 gb (win98) 2.5(/ ext2) ??? (swap) im at work
> right now so i don't have the exact values. However, i recently was
> given a 3 GB hd an i want to move linux onto that HD.

Have a look at the "Hard Disk Upgrade Mini How-To".

--
Yves Bellefeuille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ottawa, Canada
Francais / English / Esperanto

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest