From: Robert Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO experts, help!  Invalid partition table
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:17:33 -0500

Hi!

First, how I got here:

1. I had a w3k installation on the first partition, extending past
   cylinder 1024.

2. Tried to install RH 7.1, but it refused to install the boot
   partition past cylinder 1024.

3. PartitionMagic: Moved the NTFS partition forward, leaving room
   at the front of the HD for a boot partition.

4. Started a RH install and left for several hours... when I returned
   it was ready to write a boot floppy, but I never saw anything about
   LILO.  It did, in fact, re-wrote the MBR, leaving me with a working RH install,
   but an inaccessible W2K install.

5. Booted the w2k rescue disk and re-wrote the MBR; now a working
   w2k install, and RH accessible only from a boot floppy.

6. Booted RH, edited lilo.conf to write a boot sector to the partition,
   not the MBR, i.e. changed /dev/hda to /dev/hda2 (not sure why it is
   numbered 2, even though it's the first partition listed), and ran
   lilo.

7. Mounted an MS-DOS floppy, ran dd to get a copy of the boot sector.

8. Mistake: ran fdisk to mark /dev/hda2 (the /boot partition) as active.
   I think I should have done this from w2k!??

9. Shutdown to boot w2k so I could add copied RH boot sector and entry
   in w2k's boot.ini file, but w2k's boot manager only showed "Invalid
   Partition Table".

What I've tried since:

1. Booted w2k's rescue disk again.  This time, I used diskpart to add
   a small FAT32 partition (luckily I had _some_ unused space left).
   I wrote the partition table and formatted the newly created FAT32
   partition.

2. Rebooted: This produced some message about an invalid checksum
   (sorry, I didn't write it down).  I think must have something to
   do with some windoze paranoia about some magic block.

3. I tried re-writing the MBR again, and this got me back to the
   "Invalid Partition Table" message.

What I was thinking to try next:

I'm guessing that RH really can't be on the very first partition,
and that LILO wrote something there that w2k can't deal with...
If I could get LILO to boot w2k, I'd be a lot better off, but I only
found one reference to making LILO boot w2k, and it was not clear how
it could be done.  Any suggestions???

TIA,
Robert

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Giles Morant)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,tw.bbs.comp.linux,hk.comp.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: AC'97 sound chips on board - no sound in RedHat 7.0
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:37:24 +0000 (UTC)

Wilson Ng ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,

: My on-board sound chip VIA AC97 audio controller (WDM) works fine with
: WinME.  I tried to run sndconfig to enable the sound in my Linux
: installation in RedHat 7.0. The program detected that the sound device is
: VIA82cxxx. After I confirm the autoprobe was done and my system hangs. I
: rebooted Linux and the startup freeze when starting the sound module.

: Any body can help?

: Thanks, Wilson.

This is a FAQ.  Look back through dejanews or google groups.  Basically,
all you need to do in install the ALSA sound drivers from
http://www.alsa-project.org IIRC.  Quite straightforward and my machine
works perfectly for playing mp3s &c. -- I don't do MIDI or anything
complicated with it.

Giles Morant

--
Giles RC Morant
http://www.morants.demon.co.uk/giles

------------------------------

From: "Gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: LILO Problem: /dev/hdh1 is not on first disk
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:44:39 GMT

Make your 2nd drive a slave off the 1st drive
May fix your problem....2nd IDE port,  the 1st drive is
actually the 3rd system drive

Gary

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: New Server: Hardware under Linux
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:22:19 -0600

> I'd do software RAID in your case.  I couldn't justify the
> extra cost for a fancy raid card when the Linux kernel's
> software RAID ought to do just fine in a two-disk RAID-1
> situation.

  $150-$300 for a used card is well worth all of the fiddling that you'll
save, and will have added benefits as well.  After using hardware RAID on
my servers, I'm even considering a small array on my home workstation....

steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arnold Juster)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Printing - 3Com home ethernet gateway (model 3C510)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 10:43:57 -0700

Charles,

Thanks for the reply.  I've looked at the Printing-HOWTO but not been able
to figure out what I needed to do. Probably due to a general unfamiliarity
with Linux combined with an (at best) vague knowledge of networking and
network printing...

You suggested an entry in the /etc/printcap file like the following:

>       lp|3Com Print Server \
>         :rm=printserver.domain: \
>         :rp=lp: \
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
>         :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/logfile:

Given my /etc/hosts file (repeated below) what would I enter in place of
"printserver.domain"?

Also, do the contents of my /etc/hosts file make sense?

Thanks,

Arnold

---File  "/etc/hosts" begins below this line ------
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.2.3             localhost
192.168.2.1             homeGateway
192.168.2.2             localhost
From: "Ed F. de Guzman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MBR-relinquish control back to Windows
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:55:30 -0400

Thanks. I will try this ...

Ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chiefy)
Subject: Re: formatting problem
Date: 8 Jun 2001 18:20:36 GMT

08 Jun 2001 10:55 UTC, Bernd typed:
[snip]
> Does someone know how i can get DOS to format the complete 13.9 GB of
> the primary/DOS partition??

I think you may find that M$-DOS (FAT) will only let you play with
2.1Gb. It is possible to get DOS to see 8.4Gb in some circumstances, but
'vanilla' DOS has a 2.1Gb limit.

Some of the boxes here have 41.1Gb disks, DOS only sees 2.1G (the
remaining 39G being Debian Linux of course :).

--
Chiefy. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "KW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie X
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:28:30 -0500

edit /etc/inittab

and change
id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

--
KW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chiefy)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 18:28:27 GMT

08 Jun 2001 17:18 UTC, Sergio Santos typed:
> I know how to switch between consoles but how can I prevent X from
> start when I boot linux????????

Try 'update-rc.d xdm remove'

Replace xdm with whatever you're using, wdm for example.

--
Chiefy. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Thomas Niercke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,alt.linux.suse,alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Sound-Problem und README.linux
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 20:39:28 +0200

Hallo Leute !

Ich hab da ein komisches Sound-Problem:

Ich hab den Kernel für sound-Unterstützung konfiguriert und die Module
compiliert und installiert.
Die Module lassen sich auch laden uns aktivieren.
Aber wenn ich einen Sound spiele, dann stürzt der Rechner in 95% aller Fälle
nach einigen
Sekunden Soundausgabe komplett ab...
Ich hab auch die /etc/conf.modules angepasst, wie bei Suse beschrieben.

- IBM Thinkpad 755cx (soundkarte wird unterstützt als SB 2.0 oder SB 16)
- SuSE Linux 6.2
- Kernel 2.2.x

Auch hat SuSE nicht die Datei /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/README.linux
dabei.
In dieser Datei ist aber ein Script, dass ich brauche um die Devices neu zu
initialisieren
(ich glaube daran liegt das Problem).
Hat jemand diese Datei für mich ? Oder das Script ?

Für Hilfe wäre ich sehr Dankbar.

Thomas Niercke
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "KW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO failure, what to do? Please help.
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:33:21 -0500

Sounds like you are running into the1024 limit of earlier versions of lilo.
Which RH release are you trying to install?

--
KW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike W.)
Subject: Hard drive performance w/ hdparm
Date: 8 Jun 2001 11:34:44 -0700

I have Red Hat 7.1 on a ATA/100 IBM drive connected through a
CMD Ultra66 interface.  The drive is the slave on the first
Ultra66 channel (hdf on ide2).

The command:
/sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hdf

reports the drive is in UDMA mode 2, which is Ultra33.  I
believe this is correct, since Linux doesn't exploit Ultra66
or Ultra100 yet.

But:
/sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/hdf

reports 16 MB/s, that's 16 megabytes per second, on a drive
that can do 40 MB/s sustained read, and through an interface
that can do 32 MB/s.

What's wrong?  On Windows I have another drive running at its
rated speed of 29 MB/s (Windows can exploit Ultra66).

Thanks,
-Mike

------------------------------

From: "KW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:35:14 -0500

If can get back in with the boot disk and re-compile the kernel, there is an
option to boot off-board chipsets first...

--
KW

------------------------------

From: Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HOWTO - PPP Chapter 17
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:45:08 -0400

Included in part:

*****
Fire up you communications software, (such as minicom), dial into the
PPP server and log in as normal. If you need to issue a command to start
up PPP on the server, do so. You will now see the garbage you saw
before.
*****

This is where I get hung. I enter the login name and password at the
prompt, then my ISP starts sending the PAP info, right? So just exactly
how does one in a terminal window initiate the PAP response? If I run
pppd from another session, it just echoes jibberish to the screen, which
apparently is not seen in the minicom session. I don't see a way in
minicom to execute anything other than a shell script, which pppd is
not. How do I get through this spot in the HOWTO?
--
A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under
control.                Proverbs 29:11 NKJV

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: HOWTO - PPP Chapter 17
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 18:51:10 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:45:08 -0400, Felix Miata
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Included in part:
>
>*****
>Fire up you communications software, (such as minicom), dial into the
>PPP server and log in as normal. If you need to issue a command to start
>up PPP on the server, do so. You will now see the garbage you saw
>before.
>*****
>
>This is where I get hung. I enter the login name and password at the
>prompt, then my ISP starts sending the PAP info, right? So just exactly
>how does one in a terminal window initiate the PAP response? If I run
>pppd from another session, it just echoes jibberish to the screen, which
>apparently is not seen in the minicom session. I don't see a way in
>minicom to execute anything other than a shell script, which pppd is
>not. How do I get through this spot in the HOWTO?

IIRC, the howto goes on to say that you should terminate minicom with
the 'don't hang up' option (thus leaving the modem connected to your
ISP), and then start pppd (which will open the modem, and pick up the
conversation).

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Ardith Hoyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO stops at LI with IDE & SCSI setup
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:59:43 -0500

I've been trying to get Software RAID set up on our server, and have run
into a problem with the bootup.
First the specs:

Promise Ultra SCSI 40 PCI adapter

4 9GB SCSI drives - for RAID

1 13GB IDE drive - old, not going to be in the RAID

SCSI drives are all partitioned the same:

sd*1 - 5MB ext2 for /boot
sd*2 - most of the rest of the drive in partition type 0xFD for RAID
sd*3 - 16MB swap

kernel 2.4.4
lilo 21.7.5-1

lilo.conf:
boot=/dev/sda1
disk=/dev/sda
        bios=0x80
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.4
 label=linux
 root=/dev/md0
 read-only

RAID is RAID-5

I have to boot from the IDE drive in order to run LILO, as it's on the
RAID.  /dev/md0 is mounted in /raid, /dev/sda1 is mounted in /raid/boot,
and I run 'lilo -r /raid' to install it.

When I change the BIOS setting to boot to SCSI, Lilo only gets to LI. I've
checked the geometry settings and tried the linear option. I'm so close to
getting this to work, but this little hang-up is starting to get annoying.
Thanks for your help,

Ardith

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest