Linux-Setup Digest #414, Volume #21              Mon, 11 Jun 01 02:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Hard drive performance w/ hdparm (Michael Perry)
  Re: new install mandrake 8 problems ("tlc")
  samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies (Karl Agee)
  Kickstart ("Patrick Kellogg")
  Graphic failure pro server 7.1 (Robert)
  Re: Red Hat 7.1 VS a nice PS/2 mice (Joal Heagney)
  Re: samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies ("Nils")
  ATi Rage Fury Pro (Matt Poepping)
  Re: Could symlinks prevent /mnt/cdrom access ("sleepy")
  Anybody knows? (Mauricio Vega)
  redhat 7.1 firewall (Fred)
  Need help: virtual hosts RH 7.1 / Apache 1.3 ("Greg Hammond")
  Tiny menus (Martin Stenzel)
  What is Linux 2000? ("Simon Lee")
  ReiserFS on 2.2.17 (Sean Brannon)
  Re: Set the X color depth (Tim Roberts)
  Re: Mountin ZIP drive in RH7.1 after upgrade?? (Michael Perry)
  Re: ReiserFS on 2.2.17 ("Nils")
  a linux newbie looking for some advice (Nelson)
  Re: Problem installing new HD... (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: ReiserFS on 2.2.17 (Joal Heagney)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: Hard drive performance w/ hdparm
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:34:19 -0000

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:50:17 +0100, Robert Davies
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike W. wrote:
>
>> I have Red Hat 7.1 on a ATA/100 IBM drive connected through a
>> CMD Ultra66 interface.  The drive is the slave on the first
>> Ultra66 channel (hdf on ide2).
>>
>> The command:
>> /sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hdf
>>
>> reports the drive is in UDMA mode 2, which is Ultra33.  I
>> believe this is correct, since Linux doesn't exploit Ultra66
>> or Ultra100 yet.
>
> It does, and should do, as the IDE driver in recent version (2.2.18 & 2.4)
> tune the drive parameters automatically.
>
> All the advice about using hdparm(8) _was_ true but it should no longer be
> necessary, according to Andre Hedrik himself, who took part in a thread on
> the linux-abit Mailing list.
>
> Now some chipsets and drives are on black lists, (there are some white
> lists to around in the kernel, where default is to play safe due to common
> faults).
>
> So if you are using a recent 2.4 kernel, and your drive and chipset
> combination do not optimise the drive it is most likely to be as a result
> of reported corruption.
>
> There's been a lot about the Via Southbridge lately used on boards like the
> Asus A7V, so you're best to check on a Linux Kernel Mailing List archive,
> for reports of your drive type, chipset and the word corruption, before you
> go tweaking.
>
> BTW The -c 1 or -c 3 stuff is obsolete, it's an old EIDE option, and ATA-2
> (33 speed), ATA-66 and ATA-100 are the current standards.  Similiarly the
> -u 1 option is pointless as you have UDMA transfers.
>
> Hopefully the man page will get updated sometime, maybe ...
>
> Rob

The actual truth is that for many drives and chipset combinations, all one
has to do is look at what you get by default even with a 2.4 kernel and what
you get by adding a hdparm stanza.  I don't know about the chipset being
automatically determined or not.  But my system went from barely 2mb to
almost 30mb and I can reboot without hdparm stanzas and see that same old
behavior with the issues I had with disk performance bottlenecks.

I personally think that there are gray areas with drives and chipsets and
that one needs to check out what they are getting by default and do the
requisite research to tighten up on the drive.

I would also like the hdparm man page to get updated since as you mention
some things are obsolete.  The truth is that the 2.4 kernel does not set
optimum ide/eide parameters for me.  I bet it does not for others as well.
Until I see that a kernel adopts a change for my drives which gives me a
noticeable performance increase, I will continue to manually monitor the
health of my system, ensure that I use programs like hdparm which tighten up
on the resources a bit, and judge for myself whether performance is better
or worse and whether corruption happens or does not.

Thanks for your pointers though. I appreciate reading through the old kernel
mailing lists every now and again.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "tlc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: new install mandrake 8 problems
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:02:18 -0400

sorry

XFree86-4  problem with both stable and the exp. 3d exelrated

XFree86-3 option cant find pacages.

ati radion 64DDR Vivo

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:15:53 -0700
From: Karl Agee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies

Hi all.  I've got samba up and running on a mandrake 7.2 box.  Details:

networking setup is peer-to-peer

workstation:  Mandrake 7.2, cups 1.1.7, samba 2.0.9

remote:  laptop running windowsMe 8-<

Printer:  HP dj820Cse winprinter
Printer works fine, well, acceptably well in linux via cups, using
foomatic+pnm2ppa drivers, using the lp printer que setup in printdrake

Printing from the remote using the windows printer drivers

Samba runs on boot

When browsing for printers from the remote via network places I can see
only a printer called "printers".  I cannot print to this printer.

However, when I restart samba, what do I see?  I can "see" printer "lp"
in the network places, in addition to "printers".  If I point the laptop
to that printer (\\workstation\lp) instead of "printers"
(\\workstation\printers)  I can now print to my hearts delight.

BUT this printer "goes away" when I reboot.  The only way to get it back
is to execute "samba restart".

Here is the printer section from /etc/smb.conf:

# NOTE: If you have a CUPS print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer.
# You must configure the samba printers as "Generic PostScript Printer"
# on your Windows clients.
# If you wish to configure the printers directly on the Windows clients
# (i.e. use the windows drivers on the clients) you must swap the
# 'print command' line below with the commented one.
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
   print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s # using client side printer
drivers.;   print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers
(use generic PostScript on clients).
   lpq command = lpstat -o %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

(yes the cups driver line is commented out)

let me know what you think.

--karl

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Kellogg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Kickstart
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:32:16 -0400

I am having trouble getting kickstart to work.  I have read the HOWTO
dozens of times but can't figure out what I am doing wrong.  I have deleted
and added the appropriate files but when I type ks=floppy at the start of
the installation linux goes to the language question like it is not seeing
the ks.cfg file.  Has anyone had any problems like this?

Patrick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert)
Subject: Graphic failure pro server 7.1
Date: 10 Jun 2001 18:53:48 -0700

I have just installed pro server  7.1 on a Micron Electronics NetFrame 2101 server
with dual 550mhz PIII, 128mb ram, an integrated Cirrus logic CL-GD5480 64bit with
2mb Vram.
  I briefly ran Mandrake 7.x on this system with no video problems.
I installed the pro svr 7.1 and the install auto sensed my video, but not the
micron monitor. I tried every setting and had no luck.
I then reinstalled using a monitor that was on the supported list again it auto
sensed my video but not the monitor so I selected the monitor from the supported
list a DELL DL-1460NI and the video was still corrupted when the install was complete.
It appears as if the refresh rate is off.
Thanks for any possible advice.
Robert

------------------------------

From: Joal Heagney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 7.1 VS a nice PS/2 mice
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:58:29 +1000

=======================snip=================================
> I don't think you need Z axis mapping
> with a 2 button mouse.
>
> Comment it out, see what happens?
> --
> -
> -
> -
> Regards F
Well I have a Logitech PS/2 mouse which works fine under mandrake 7.2,
but does exactly what you say for Mandrake 8.0, with the first boot,
kudzu telling me that my mouse must be eliminated.

--
      Joal Heagney is: _____           _____
   /\ _     __   __ _    |     | _  ___  |

------------------------------

From: "Nils" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: samba, mandrake 7.2 and cups, or, samba follies
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:09:17 +0200

try to change the start order
/etc/rc,d/rc.{3,4,5}/S??samba
/etc/rc,d/rc.{3,4,5}/S97samba
that cups can start before samba

Nils

------------------------------

From: Matt Poepping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATi Rage Fury Pro
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:20:36 -0600

Has anyone gotten this card (ATI Rage Fury Pro) to work with Xfree86?

thanks,
matt

------------------------------

From: "sleepy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Could symlinks prevent /mnt/cdrom access
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 02:25:00 GMT

What I was saying is that most fstabs that I have seen have an entry like
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and so on.....
whereas the mandrake 8.0 dist repeats the /mnt/cdrom entry twice like so
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom and then denotes the /dev/cdrom or scd0 at the end

Oh.  How do you remove supermount from the entire system.  Is there
something besides taking all of the supermount entries out of the fstab.

Thanks
Jason

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Mauricio Vega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Anybody knows?
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:29:20 -0400

Hi there:

Anybody knows which PC-CHIPS motherboards are supported by Linux?

------------------------------

From: Fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: redhat 7.1 firewall
Date: 11 Jun 2001 02:41:35 GMT

Hi all,

I just installed RedHat 7.1. There is a firewall setting in the setup menu. Could
anyone tell me how to check the settings did by that firewall menu? Is it using
ipchains or iptables? Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Fred

------------------------------

From: "Greg Hammond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help: virtual hosts RH 7.1 / Apache 1.3
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:12:53 GMT

I am having a terrible time trying to get virtual hosts working on my new
Redhat 7.1 system.   Here's my scenario:

1.  I've defined a secondary IP address for my server, and it seems to work
just fine by adding:

    ifconfig eth0:0 AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add -host AAAA.BBB.CCC.DDD dev eth0

... to my rc.local file.

2.  I've configure what I believe to be a virtual host entry in my
httpd.conf file for Apache:

<VirtualHost AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD>
  ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  DocumentRoot /usr/apache/htdocs/htmldirectoryname
  ServerName www.company.com
  Errorlog (blah blah)
  TransferLog (blahblah)
</VirtualHost>

3.  When I use a web browser and http:// to the server's main IP address, I
get the default Apache welcome page as I expect I should.    When I http://
to the AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD or www.company.com  addresses that I've set up for my
virtual host, I STILL get the default Apache welcome page.

I've made sure the ownership and file permissions are correct on my
/usr/apache/htdocs/htmldirectoryname location are as they should be, and
I've got a simple index.html file there as a placeholder to determine if
it's working right.

What's my problem?   Why is Apache sending me the stuff from the default IP
address?

   Greg

------------------------------

From: Martin Stenzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tiny menus
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 06:10:41 +0200

Hi,

after installing some package all the menus of the programs show up very
tiny. How do I tell the programs, especially Login.app and Window Maker to
show larger fonts?
I tried to put a "*font: -*-*-helvetica-20...." into Xresources but that
did not help,

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Martin.

P.S. Debian 2.2r3 on an iMac.

Martin Stenzel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP-/GnuPG-encrypted mail appreciated,
public key (ID: >>B57C61DC<<) at:

------------------------------

From: "Simon Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What is Linux 2000?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:16:37 +0800

Dear all,

I learnt from the other friends that there is the OS concerning Linux 2000,
where is such OS found?

Sincerely yours,
Simon

------------------------------

From: Sean Brannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ReiserFS on 2.2.17
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:30:05 -0000

I need to set up a Red Hat 6.2 system with the 2.2.17 kernel (no other
option) and ReiserFS. My problem is that I can't find 2.2.17 patches for
Reiser. Anyone have any (polite ;-) suggestions?

------------------------------

From: Tim Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Set the X color depth
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:41:10 -0700

"Duane Healing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It should have a line that reads:
>DefaultColorDepth              XX
>(where XX is your chosed depth) in the "Screen" section somewhere before
>the "Display" subsection.

In XFree86 4.x, the preferred keyword is "DefaultDepth".
--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: Mountin ZIP drive in RH7.1 after upgrade??
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:58:28 -0000

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:56:09 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just upgraded from RH6.1 to RH7.1 and am having problems mounting my
> ZIP drive. This drive mounted properly under RH7.1
>
> Since I have no idea what I am doing I am including the dmesg output
> and my current fstab file.
>
> 1. Can someone help me fix this?
>
> 2. Can someone give an explanation what might be wrong so I can learn
> from this?
>
> Any help will be appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pedro
>

> /SWAP                   swap                    swap    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/cdrom2             /mnt/cdrom2             iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/hdd4               /mnt/zip100.0           auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

What's the error you get?  This looks like an atapi/ide zip drive.  Does the
mount point exist?  Can you give an example of the mount command you are
giving?

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Nils" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ReiserFS on 2.2.17
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:06:10 +0200

why ther no option for other kernel ??

do you have some other patches only for this version

if yes and the patches don't touch the filesystem stuff
apply your patches first and then patch the kernel up
to 2.2.19 (look for rejects)
then patch with reiserfs patch and look for rehects
(maybe add rejects by hand)

Nils

------------------------------

From: Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a linux newbie looking for some advice
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 05:30:11 -0000

hello, i have tried linux mandrake  (8.0) and loved it, but, i can't go
online with it (i'm using widndows now) because the connection always says
the modem is busy, and i can't get to open any executables. the rpmdrake
is the installer software, but it freezes in my copy of linux (can't
configure my sound card either). i have the installers for both the sound
card and modem, but can't open them, when i click nothing happens...
anyone could help me and tell me any possible solution? oh, and, i
formatted the hard disk to re-install windows and eliminated the non-DOS
partitions, but i still get the screen where you choose wich operative
system you want, how can i eliminate that?
any help will be REALLY appreciated
feel free to send any e-mail if you can
Tahnks in advance!

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem installing new HD...
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 05:44:43 GMT

James Doyle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Debian 2.2 with kernel 2.2.14, and I just purchased a new
> Seagate ST330620A drive (30 GB).  It is seen fine by my BIOS, and Windows
> is able to work with it just fine, but for some reason the Linux kernel
> can't access it.
>
> From dmesg:
>
> hda: ST36450A, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: ST330620A, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: ST39140A, ATA DISK drive
> hdd: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-408B, ATAPI CDROM drive
>
> Clearly, it can see the drive exists (hdb).
> But, later on in dmesg:
>
> hda: ST36450A, 6149MB w/448kB Cache, CHS=784/255/63
> hdc: ST39140A, 8693MB w/448kB Cache, CHS=17662/16/63, UDMA
>
> It now can't see it anymore.  Any attemp to access the disk, such as with
> fdisk, cfdisk, dd, etc. fails.  The message is "hdb: driver not present".
>
> Can anyone help me with this problem?

How are the drives physically set up?

The hda and hdc drives have to be jumpered as 'MASTER' and the hdb and
hdd drives have to be jumpered as "SLAVE". IIRC, most drive mfgrs leave
the drives jumpered as "MASTER", but some jumper them to "CSEL".

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered Linux User #112576

------------------------------

From: Joal Heagney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:55:38 +1000

Sean Brannon wrote:

> I need to set up a Red Hat 6.2 system with the 2.2.17 kernel (no other
> option) and ReiserFS. My problem is that I can't find 2.2.17 patches for
> Reiser. Anyone have any (polite ;-) suggestions?
>
> --

You could grab the src.rpm kernel from Mandrake. Though it's always fun
trying to get the src.rpms for these guys.
--
      Joal Heagney is: _____           _____

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest