Linux-Setup Digest #418, Volume #21              Mon, 11 Jun 01 17:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Smoothwall NIC setup (Frank Johnson)
  Startup/Home directory for FTP users ("Greg Hains")
  Re: 2GB File size limitation (Kevin)
  Reference on security ("Greg Hains")
  Re: Startup/Home directory for FTP users ("daltrix")
  Re: Startup/Home directory for FTP users ("daltrix")
  Re: Reference on security ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: How to configure firewall/ routing policy in Red Hat 7.1? ("Andy Yap Wei Heong")
  Re: Sound problem (Ardith Hoyt)
  Re: LILO stops at LI with IDE & SCSI setup (Ardith Hoyt)
  New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg" ("Rod Brick")
  Re: RH 7.1 and system  bios (I.M.Sanders)
  Re: RH 7.1 and system  bios (I.M.Sanders)
  Re: Graphic failure pro server 7.1 (Craig Kelley)
  Re: redhat 7.1 firewall (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Dual Boot ("Toobs")
  Re: floppy controller in SCSI host--what is the device called? ("Brian Schwarz")
  Re: xfree advice needed (Craig Kelley)
  Re: DRI under kernel 2.2.14 ?? (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Machine name and Sendmail: HELP!!!!!!!!! (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Linux window manager adds border to a borderless Java JWindow (Craig Kelley)
  Re: New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg" (Craig Kelley)
  mingetty respawning too rapidly (JurgyMan)
  Re: Problem: mount and umount of MO drive (Michael)
  Re: swap doesn't unmout properly (ken pile)

From: Frank Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Smoothwall NIC setup
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:14:35 GMT

Michael Pye wrote:

> Is it possible to enter manually the correct module and parameters for
> these cards as I cannot seem to find any easily available ISA NICs around.
I don't know is the easy answer but i just thought I'd let you know that
the Smoothwall mailing lists have restarted so it might be worth giving
them a go.

HTH

Frank

------------------------------

From: "Greg Hains" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Startup/Home directory for FTP users
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 04:11:26 +0930

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Linux, and have an easy question for you:

Where and how does one set the [initial] directory that an FTP user starts
with upon logging in?
I have got the user logging in fine, but do not know how to set their
'starting' directory.

Please advise.

Greg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Subject: Re: 2GB File size limitation
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:41:59 GMT

I run into the limit in electronic engineering doing circuit
simulations.  Many of my colleges do too.

Cheers....

------------------------------

From: "Greg Hains" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Reference on security
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 04:22:50 +0930

Hi,

I have dealt extensively with numerous operating systems (mainly NT and
Netware), and for some reason am unable to 'get the hang' of Linux security.
There just seems to me to be something missing (I know there isnt) in
regards to setting up file/directory security.

My problem isn't with the actual commands, it's more with the allocation of
rights to a file/directory for groups and users. I am used to systems
whereby a file/directory can be accessed by one or more users and one or
more groups - easy. I don't see how this can be done in Linux where only one
user/group can own and access the same.

I dont expect anybody to take the time to explain it to a newbie, but if
somebody could point me to a good HOWTO site where security and examples are
laid out I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Greg

------------------------------

From: "daltrix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Startup/Home directory for FTP users
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:56:46 -0500

hello,

> [snip]
>
> Where and how does one set the [initial] directory that an FTP user starts
> with upon logging in?
>
> [snip]

the home directory of the user in /etc/passwd will be the starting directory
for the user when he/she logs in via ftp.  if you want their home directory
to be chroot'd from  /home/dallase  say to just  /  then you have to edit
the ftpaccess file and add restricted-uid * like so

echo "restricted-uid *" >> /etc/ftpaccess

if you do not do this, then if i log into /home/dallase, i can transverse up
to /home and on up to / and throughout the filesystem from there.    after
restricted-uid * is in place when i try to change directory to a higher
directory i get

550 Permission denied on server.  You are restricted to your account.

thats what we want to see.

------------------------------

From: "daltrix" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:01:26 -0500

hello again,

> [snip]
>
> Where and how does one set the [initial] directory that an FTP user starts
> with upon logging in?
>
> [snip]

maybe i should have kept that short and sweet.  /etc/passwd file contains
the home directory.
here is a line from /etc/passwd

dallase:x:500:500:my description here:/home/dallase:/bin/bash

if i log into ftp then i will log directly into /home/dallase as per my
settings in passwd.
if i change my passwd entry to

dallase:x:500:500:my description here:/home/ftpusers/dallase:/bin/bash

then i will now log directly into /home/ftpusers/dallase
keep in mind that i can transverse upwards to see the whole filesystem still
so you might want to read my last post and enable restricted-uid * in
/etc/ftpaccess to it chroots the enviroment.

have fun

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Reference on security
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:20:48 +0200

In comp.os.linux.setup Greg Hains <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My problem isn't with the actual commands, it's more with the allocation of
> rights to a file/directory for groups and users. I am used to systems
> whereby a file/directory can be accessed by one or more users and one or
> more groups - easy. I don't see how this can be done in Linux where only one

Same thing in unix. Put all the users who should have access to it in one
group, and make the directory owned by that group and accessible to
them.

If you want to use ACLs instead, you'll have to go play with them.

> user/group can own and access the same.

Is your question how you can compose several groups into a supergroup?
"netgroups" is the answer, I believe, but I've never used them.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Andy Yap Wei Heong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to configure firewall/ routing policy in Red Hat 7.1?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:43:39 +0800

If you suspect that the problem laid on ipchains, try to issue the command
"ipchains -F", this command will flush off all the existing blocking and
setting...

Cheers!
Andy

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Ardith Hoyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:58:24 -0500

Benoît Salotti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed Mandrake 8 on my computer and I'm unable to setup
> sound... I have a Creative SB 128 PCI.
> When I try to load the module into memory (with insmod es1371) I have
> the following errors:
>
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz
> /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz: unresolved
> symbol unregister_sound_mixer_R7afc9d8a
> /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz: unresolved
> symbol ac97_probe_codec_R1c61c357
> /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz: unresolved
> symbol gameport_register_port_Rd203300c
> /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz: unresolved
> symbol unregister_sound_dsp_Rcd083b10
> /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz: unresolved
> symbol register_sound_dsp_Rec58ae1a
> /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz: unresolved
> symbol register_sound_mixer_Rfc83776d
> /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz: unresolved
> symbol gameport_unregister_port_Re98002ba
> /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz: unresolved
> symbol register_sound_midi_R72b68a90
> /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o.gz: unresolved
> symbol unregister_sound_midi_Rfdab6de3
>
> Where does it come from ? It worked well with Mandrake 7.2 and my
> soundcard is well detected at boot time...

Use modprobe es1371 instead.  This will load the other sound modules that
the es1371 modules depends on.

Ardith

------------------------------

From: Ardith Hoyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO stops at LI with IDE & SCSI setup
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:21:50 -0500

Robert Davies wrote:

>> lilo.conf:
>> boot=/dev/sda1
>
>             ^^^^^^^
>
> You're installing lilo into the partition, not the MBR.  Are you using
> another boot manager?
>
> Try boot=/dev/sda, and get your BIOS to boot off that disk as C:.

I guess I was under the impression you could boot off the partition if it's
bootable flag is toggled.

Ardith

------------------------------

From: "Rod Brick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:17:32 -0500

I've just recompiled a 2.4 kernel.  It hangs during startup at "Creating
/var/log/boot.msg"

I have no idea where the culprit lies here.  Something missing in my config?
Any help would be appreciated.

Rod Brick
HillCast Technologies, Inc.
Austin, TX
(512) 474-4644   ext. 6

------------------------------

From: I.M.Sanders <i'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 7.1 and system  bios
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:19:56 -0500

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:04:11 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I.M.Sanders <i'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The only way to boot the computer is with a floppy, the reason being
>> that the hard disk isn't detected during post.
>
>If it isn't, then you should take your computer back to the shop, it's
>defective. There is no o/s on the machine at the time you run the POST
>test, so it's between you, the hardware and the bios. So you should
>check those three things (clue, eliminate the bios first).
bingo, you are absolutely correct. I have no idea why I associated the
two. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with RH. I installed
more ram and must have moved something while doing so. I blame it on
exhaustion, after two days without sleep.

>>    By the way my email address is clearly a fake, so please respond to
>
>Would you mind identifying yourself properly? I don't like responding
>to fakes, Mr Sanders.  As far as I can tell you are  posting
>from mindspring.net, but I don't know if you have an email address
>there.
>
>Peter
   Actually, Mindspring tells me I have a right not to post my email
address in the newsgroups to avoid spam. Since I already delete
hundreds of unwanted, unread, and unrequested emails a month I am
going to continue to exercise that right.
   Thank, you Peter for pointing out the obvious to me I really do
appreciate it.

------------------------------

From: I.M.Sanders <i'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:29:25 -0500

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:38:24 -0400, Steve Martin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"I.M.Sanders" wrote:
>>
>>    I took an 8 gig hard drive, fdisk with winme startup disk,
>> formatted each partition, then installed RH 7.1
>
>I have to ask... why did you format the drive with the WinME
>fdisk and then install Red Hat? If it were me, I'd partition
>the disk with Red Hat if I were going to install Red Hat.
>Just curious...
   Just using the program I was used to.

>>    Windows is not on this computer.
>
>Good move. 8)
>
>>    Before installing RH the bios auto detected the hard drive, after
>> the install it will not.
>
>Strange. There should be nothing that Red Hat does, parition or
>otherwise, that should interfere with the auto-detect.
   Another user pointed that out to me, and of course you're right . I
was just very tired and not thinking straight at the time. I forgot
that I had installed more ram. It's ovious  now that I've had some
rest that something is not making good contact on all pins.

>>    During the install I selected auto format and install, I believe in
>> linux native. I notice that during boot with the floppy the hard drive
>> is correctly identified, but not during post.
>
>Well, that tells me that the hard disk hardware and the IDE controller
>hardware both are working, so I'm a little at a loss to explain what's
>going on with the BIOS.
>
>> hard drive. I also entered the drive info in the bios and still no go.
>
>I'm a believer in asking stupid questions, so let me ask a couple:
>
>(1) Are the drive jumpers set properly?
yes cheched

>(2) What kind of sector translation do you have set up in the BIOS?
>    A drive this large has to have some sort enabled (LBA, large, et
>    cetera) before it can be detected.
LBA

>>    I've never written in anything but basic, and dos, so I imagine
>> I'll be lost in unix for sometime yet.
>
>Depending on how deeply you want to get involved with Linux, I'd say
>that ya better get up to speed on C.
>
>>    By the way my email address is clearly a fake, so please respond to
>> this news group if anyone has an idea about how to correct this
>> problem.
>
>My favorite anti-spam bogus email address is
>"[EMAIL PROTECTED]".
>YMMV.
That ought to do it ;-)

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Graphic failure pro server 7.1
Date: 11 Jun 2001 14:31:20 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert) writes:

> I have just installed pro server  7.1 on a Micron Electronics NetFrame 2101 server
> with dual 550mhz PIII, 128mb ram, an integrated Cirrus logic CL-GD5480 64bit with
> 2mb Vram.
>   I briefly ran Mandrake 7.x on this system with no video problems.
> I installed the pro svr 7.1 and the install auto sensed my video, but not the
> micron monitor. I tried every setting and had no luck.
> I then reinstalled using a monitor that was on the supported list again it auto
> sensed my video but not the monitor so I selected the monitor from the supported
> list a DELL DL-1460NI and the video was still corrupted when the install was
>complete.
> It appears as if the refresh rate is off.
> Thanks for any possible advice.

I assume by 7.1 you mean RedHat 7.1?

You can try out different settings by running Xconfigurator as the
root user; no need to re-install every time.  If you told it to boot
up into X11 (the GUI), then you can boot into the command prompt (to
run Xconfigurator) by typing

 linux 3

at the LILO: prompt (it prompts you to press a key at the RedHat
graphical boot-up screen to enter text mode for the LILO: prompt).
You may have specified a resolution and/or synch rate that your
monitor cannot handle -- which is strange because RedHat 7.1 uses the
plug-and-play monitor query to get sync settings (just like Windows).

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: redhat 7.1 firewall
Date: 11 Jun 2001 14:32:33 -0600

Fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed RedHat 7.1. There is a firewall setting in the
> setup menu. Could anyone tell me how to check the settings did by
> that firewall menu? Is it using ipchains or iptables? Thanks a lot!

ipchains
Run lokkit to get the menu.

No, they didn't document this anywhere, not even in the documentation
that comes with a boxed copy.  [grrr]

From: "Toobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Boot
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:36:25 -0700

Thanks for the info.

I have one hard drive with 2 partitions.  They are both FAT32.  One is a
10gig partition which holds W2k and programs and the other one is 20gigs
with data.

I have PMagic.  Where should I have the partition and how big?  I have never
install Linux before.

"Rod Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [Posted and mailed]
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "Toobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I want to install Mandrake, but I want to dual boot with Win 2000.  How
> > should I do this?  Can I install Linux and dual boot without formatting
W2k?

------------------------------

From: "Brian Schwarz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: floppy controller in SCSI host--what is the device called?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:32:40 -0700

Steve,

> It would seem from this that you could use both floppy controllers if
> you provided the correct base I/O address per the above. I've never done
> this, so I can't say for sure, but it looks like something to try.

You make a good point.  Theoretically, there is nothing to prevent you from
having as many floppy drive controllers as you wish.

>From a practical point of view, however, there is no way to set the floppy
drive controller on the specific piece of hardware in question (an Adaptec
1542 SCSI controller) to a "non-standard" set of IRQs and I/O addresses.  I
don't have one in front of me, but I used to use Adaptec 1542 controllers in
a PC hardware course that I used to teach, and they only had one setting for
the floppy controller - on and off.   Since both the SCSI card's floppy
controller and the integrated floppy drive controller on the motherboard use
I/O base address 3F0 and IRQ 6, you can only use one at a time.  Otherwise,
the two devices lock up with either and I/O address or an IRQ conflict.

Has anybody seen a floppy drive controller that let you use alternate IRQ
and I/O settings?  I haven't seen any myself, but that doesn't mean they
don't exist.

--
Best wishes,

Brian Schwarz

_________________________________
The opinions expressed here are my own, and
do not reflect those of any of my employers,
past, present, or future
_________________________________

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xfree advice needed
Date: 11 Jun 2001 14:36:08 -0600

Riyaz Mansoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> one thing i forgot to mention,
>
> the old config file had the "sis" driver to support my graphics card, but
> my exisiting config file has the "svga" driver, which i believe is a more
> generic one. could this be the problem? as i said before, the xfree test
> went fine with the "sis" driver in the config file.

You should be able to change that to "sis" to get it to work; also,
XFree86 4.1 is out if you want to upgrade.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: DRI under kernel 2.2.14 ??
Date: 11 Jun 2001 14:36:59 -0600

Martin Litzenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> hello
>
> I have an "old" suse 6.4 distr. with kernel V. 2.2.14 installed and
> upgraded to xfree86 4.0.2 (which works fine). now i want to install the
> DRI but the readme's say you need kernel V. => 2.3 .
>
> is there a way to compile the DRI-module under kernel 2.2.14 ?
> or even better - are there pre-compiled DRI modules for 2.2.14 ?
>
> also the docu. says "rage 128 PRO" video cards are not supported by the
> DRI (i have a ATI Xpert 2000pro installed). is there a workaround ? will
> rage128 pro maybe work with the rage128 driver, but slower?

Upgrading to 2.2.19 should be painless -- it has better DRI support
than 2.2.14.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Machine name and Sendmail: HELP!!!!!!!!!
Date: 11 Jun 2001 14:37:46 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (DVHandorf) writes:

> Hello.  I am attemptiung to change the name of my machine from
> redhat.localdomain to just redhat.  However, when I do so, the machine freezes
> when sendmail attempts to start.  I am NOT on a network, but the loopback
> device is enabled, I use RH 6.0, which is outdated, and I think I have sendmail
> 8.9.3.  Thank you for any/all help you have to offer

Make sure /etc/hosts has the new name in it.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux window manager adds border to a borderless Java JWindow
Date: 11 Jun 2001 14:42:02 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Krieg) writes:

> I have a Linux based Java app.  I am experimenting with moving from JDK
> 1.2.2-7 to 1.3.1.  The first thing I noticed is that the JWindows all have
> ugly borders (full set of sizing hardware too) on them now.  I am using the
> fvwm2 window manager from the Linux distribution.  Why would a JDK change
> allow the window manager to do this?

Hrm.  It could be 2 things:

 o Sun now develops Linux JDK (instead of blackdown) and changed how
   the windows look (ie, changing to a window with decoration
   defined).   I honestly can't remember how to use fvwm2; it's been
   years -- but you should be able to tell it which kinds of windows
   to decorate.

 o javax.swing.LookAndFeel is set differently

I don't recall any changes to that effect from 1.2 -> 1.3; I program
in Java quite often.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: New kernel hangs at "Creating /var/log/boot.msg"
Date: 11 Jun 2001 14:43:33 -0600

"Rod Brick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've just recompiled a 2.4 kernel.  It hangs during startup at "Creating
> /var/log/boot.msg"
>
> I have no idea where the culprit lies here.  Something missing in my config?
> Any help would be appreciated.

Can it not mount the volume that /var/log is on?  That is often a
'doh' situation that may or may not pertain to your problem.

From: JurgyMan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mingetty respawning too rapidly
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:44:02 -0500

hiya,

trying to setup a minimal linux system on a laptop...

Have installed a root filesystem as described in the boot/rescue disk howto.
libraries and executables based on RH 6.2 tools...

It'll boot and mount root, and gets to runlevel 2, and the mingetty's are suspended
cause they're respawning too rapidly.. why?
my setup:

(Kernel 2.4.5)

cat inittab
id:2:initdefault:
si::sysinit:/etc/rc
l0:0:wait:/etc/rc0
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc2
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc6
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2

cat rc
#!/bin/sh
/bin/mount -av
/bin/loadkeys /lib/us.kmap

ls -l /dev/tty[12]
crw-r--r--    1 root     root       4,   1 Jun  6 08:14 ../dev/tty1
crw-r--r--    1 root     root       4,   2 Jun  6 08:05 ../dev/tty2

ls -l /sbin/mingetty
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         8112 Feb  3  2000 /sbin/mingetty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael)
Subject: Re: Problem: mount and umount of MO drive
Date: 11 Jun 2001 13:52:59 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message news:<9fpvm4$586pq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The problem that I have is that once I have mounted the drive, it
> > cannot be umounte until the next reboot. No change of MO disks is
> > possible.
>
> What's the error returned when you ask to umount the drive?
> Davide
The error message is in German, saying something like: MO drive busy. Does this help?

Michael

------------------------------

From: ken pile <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: swap doesn't unmout properly
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:00:29 GMT

Robert Davies wrote:

> Hope that's clearer now
>
> Rob

Thank you Rob. A little wiser now :-)

Ken

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest