  Re: any Iomega ZIP USB users? (Leonard Evens)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yu Di)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Mandrake 8.0 freezing with DMA problems, please help!
Date: 17 Jun 2001 08:17:57 -0700

Hi, I have installed Mandrake 8.0 with Cheapbytes CD-Roms. I have
experienced innumerous system freezes during the installation and
after I got it installed. Usually the pattern is that during some RPM
software installation, the system suddenly freezes and I have to press
"reset".

This morning, I was trying to install a package using "rpm --install
..." in the console mode. I have already successfully installed some
other packages in the same session. When the installation starts,
after a while, I got these messages:
    hda: timeout waiting for DMA
    ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
    hda: irq timeout: Status=0x58 {DriveReady SeekComplete
DataRequest}
    hdb: timeout waiting for DMA
    ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
    hdb: irq timeout: Status=0x50 {DriveReady SeekComplete}

Then the messages repeat themselves until I used "kill -9" in another
console (the system is not yet completely frozen), and I got:
    hda: DMA disabled
    hdb: DMA disabled
    ide0: reset: success

I then ran the rpm command again, and immediately got a system freeze,
the message is:
    hda: lost interrupt

So I think this is a DMA problem, am I right? How shall I make it
work? Thanks!

My hard drive information is:

hda is JV100-31 Samsung SV0432A, Ultra DMA Mode-2, S.M.A.R.T. Capable
and Status Ok
hdb is BAC51KJ0 Maxtor 32049H3, Ultra DMA Mode-4, S.M.A.R.T. Capable
and Status Ok

hda: Size=4312, Cyln=8912, Head=15, Wpcom=0, Sec=63, LBA=On, Blk=On,
PIO=4, 32bit=Off
hdb: Size=20492, Cyln=39704, Head=16, Wpcom=0, Sec=63, LBA=On, Blk=On,
PIO=4, 32bit=Off

My processor is PII350. I have 288M memory (8M of which is used as
video card memory)

Thanks a lot!

------------------------------

From: Huub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Upgradeproblem RH6.2 -> RH7.1 on AHA-1542
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:35:24 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my existing workstation running RH6.2 to RH7.1 but
the program fails to see the AHA-1542 adapter on which my 9GB SCSI disk
runs. I already tried the driver.img but apart from checking the
driver-diskette after asking for it in expert-mode it doesn't do
anything with it. When I try customer-install it fails to see the
AHA-1542 as well. Only the IDE-disk are visible.

Thanks for suggestions

Huub

------------------------------

From: "A De Graaf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Postfix virtual domains aren't relayed
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:19:20 GMT

Hello,

I've got a big problem concerning virtual domain relaying. All email that is
sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] is delivered to [EMAIL PROTECTED] .
This is very wrong..... Can someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance,
Ruben

Detailed config INFO:
===============
I've got postfix installed on a linux box with 1 IP. On that single IP
multiple 2 domains are being hosted: amtex.nl and bunkintermedia.nl

In the DNS SOA for Amtex is the MX record: mail.amtex.nl
And for the SOA of Bunkintermedia.nl the MX is: mail.bunkintermedia.nl

This is my main.cf config:
=================
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
default_privs = nobody
myhostname = mail.amtex.nl
mydomain = amtex.nl
myorigin = $mydomain
inet_interfaces = all
default_transport = smtp
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain,
/etc/postfix/virtualhosts
mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/8, 127.0.0.0/8
virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
relay_domains = $mydestination, /etc/postfix/virtualhosts
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
debugger_command =
         PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
         xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases

This is my /etc/postfix/virtualhosts file:
=========================
amtex.nl, bunkintermedia.nl

This is my /etc/postfix/virtual file:
======================
# AMTEX.NL domain (all mail delivered to linuxuser "ruben")
amtex.nl VIRTUAL001
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ruben
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ruben
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ruben
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ruben
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ruben

# BUNKINTERMEDIA.NL domain (all mail delivered to some other linuxusers)
bunkintermedia.nl VIRTUAL004
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        bitnl-jbunk, bitnl-mbunk, bitnl-cboedhoe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     bitnl-jbunk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         bitnl-jbunk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   bitnl-mbunk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  bitnl-mbunk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  bitnl-nbosch

Snippet of /var/log/maillog:
==================
Jun 17 12:32:03 localhost postfix/smtpd[26361]: connect from
mail-out.chello.nl[213.46.240.7]
Jun 17 12:32:03 localhost postfix/smtpd[26361]: 224869CF1:
client=mail-out.chello.nl[213.46.240.7]
Jun 17 12:32:03 localhost postfix/cleanup[26362]: 224869CF1:
message-id=<010001c0f718$3d86e3e0$0200a8c0@WS01>
Jun 17 12:32:03 localhost postfix/qmgr[26293]: 224869CF1:
from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, size=937, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jun 17 12:32:03 localhost postfix/smtpd[26361]: disconnect from
mail-out.chello.nl[213.46.240.7]
Jun 17 12:32:03 localhost postfix/local[26364]: 224869CF1:
to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,relay=local, delay=0, status=sent ("|/usr/bin/procmail")

------------------------------

From: "K K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.comp.linux.xxx,alt.linux.suse,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.best,alt.os.linux.suse,alt.pl.comp.os.linux.debian,at.linux,aus.computers.linux,be.comp.os.linux,cz.comp.linux.suse,fj.os.linux.setu
Subject: Re: Problem on SuSe 6.3 installation
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 00:32:59 +0800

Thank you for your information.   However, I just got one CD from a SuSe
tutorial.   Then how could I overcome the problem?

"Stephan Weinberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > When I boot the CD of SuSe 6.3, it automatically go to YaTS2.   However,
the
> > screen font/resolution is too big to fit into the 9" VGA monitor.
Please
> > advise how to shrink the screen (adjust the resolution) to fit the
monitor.

> Try booting from the Disk or from CD2. This will start Yast1 which is in
> text-mode.
>
> --
> cu             mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   stephan       www: http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/w/weini
> To err is human; to really screw things up requires the root password

---
Complaints to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tim Kuip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: adsl --- ppp over atm
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 18:43:33 +0200

I have a Speedtouch ADSL Ethernet modem from Alcatel.
I want to run ppp over atm (pppoa) and pptp to my ISP.
Can I use the standard ppp in the linux kernel (I'm running 2.4.5)?
I found a site which has a kernelpatch, but only for kernel version 2.4.0.
Anyone who knows?
Thanks in advance!

Tim Kuip

------------------------------

Subject: Need adivce on partitioning
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Johnson)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:41:11 GMT

I'm installing Mandrake 8.0 on a 20 G drive. I would like to have 10G set
aside for share (Windows/Apple) and the rest dedicated to linux.  The
machine is do be used as a file share and a development web server.

Can you suggest a partioning scheme.

The one it is giving me is

243MB for /
392MB for swap
2,9G for /usr
6.7G for /var
8.3 for /home

I was thinking somethin glike this:

243MB for /
392MB for swap
6.7G for /var & /usr
2,9G for /home
8.3 for /shares

whaddya think?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael McCord)
Subject: Touchpad
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 13:16:26 -0400

I'm very new to Linux, though I have become quite proficient at
reinstalling my Debian/GNU system from both CD-Rom and via Debian.org. . .
. . I really MUST learn enough to stop messing it up, or FIX it when I
do.  :^>

Using Windoze, I have come to love my Cirque SmartCat touchpad and all the
little extras it affords. It works, sort of, in a very basic way, with
Linux.  I would like more.  Has anyone any experience with Cirque
touchpads?  I've been unable to find anything written for it - Linux/Unix
drivers - but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

suggestions please?
michael

------------------------------

From: Keith Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: epson printer miracle
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:39:36 +0200

Hej, Olaf,

I suggest you just get used to it...

I've only found a couple of IDE hard drives, an NE2000 clone and a TekRam DC390
that came with documentation that mentioned Linux...

In general, anything else (printers, sound cards, CD writers, digital cameras)
refers to Windoze and (optionally) MacOS.

The manufacturers of "Joe Sixpack" hardware are only going to spend time
documenting use with "Joe Sixpack" operating systems...

Try looking at a manufacturer's web site *before* buying... and whenever
possible get a demo of the hardware before you pay.

Keith.

------------------------------

From: Keith Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compiling fontutils-0.6-linux
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:53:24 +0200

Well, thanks to P. Breuer, I got further with the compilation... but still not
quite there!

Did ./configure and make, got an error:

Form.c: In function `RefigureLocations':
Form.c:240: too few arguments to function
make[1]: *** [Form.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/fontutils-0.6-linux/widgets'
make: *** [libraries] Error 2

I tried to force it to go a bit further by using make -k, but this gave me:

Form.c: In function `RefigureLocations':
Form.c:240: too few arguments to function
make[1]: *** [Form.o] Error 1
gcc -O -g -I.././include  -c Item.c
gcc -O -g -I.././include  -c Label.c
gcc -O -g -I.././include  -c Viewport.c
Viewport.c: In function `ChangeManaged':
Viewport.c:351: too few arguments to function
make[1]: *** [Viewport.o] Error 1
make[1]: Target `default' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/fontutils-0.6-linux/widgets'
make: *** [libraries] Error 2
make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.

Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: "Curious George" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 7.1 on Laptop
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:36:26 +0100

Hi.
I've had problems trying to install RedHat 7.1 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop
(PIII processor, 64MB RAM, 5 Gigs of disk space).  First I encountered the
following installation error:

    VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 08:41

So I tried the following install option:

    linux mem=64M root=/dev/hda2

(/dev/hda2 being a partition I created and formatted using a floppy-based
Linux)

When I try this, I get the following installation error:

    Warning: unable to open an initial console.
    Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

What options should I pass?  Any help would be much appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Joe Public" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Visual Network Monitoring Tools??
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:08:35 -0000

news:NZIW6.84420$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Search for SNMP in www.freshmeat.net. Scotty does what you want.

------------------------------

From: "Milbertus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 7.1 - Installing FTP and Web servers
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:14:46 -0400

I'm having some problems getting the FTP and Web servers that come with Red
Hat 7.1 working.  During the install process, I selected a custom install,
and among other things I selected the FTP Server and Web Server items.
After everything has been installed, I notice that I can't ftp to the
machine I'm installing on, nor can I access it through a web browser.

My first thought was that for some reason the appropriate packages weren't
installed.  I found the RPM for apache on the Red Hat CD, but when I tried
to install it I was informed that it had already been installed.  I wasn't
sure about the name of the RPM for the ftp server, so I couldn't check to
see if it had already been installed.

So what do I need to do to get these things running?  I think that I need to
start the appropriate daemons at start up, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks,
milbertus

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel Upgrade Questions
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:06:30 -0400

Robert Davies wrote:

> > I was reading an article that said that before upgrading to 2.4 from
> > 2.2, I should upgrade modutils to at least version 2.4.

> I'd say try using source RPM's for RH-7.1, and rebuilding them.  At one
> time it was a requirement to run glibc-2.2, but that may have been dropped.

glibc-2.2 is not a requirement for the 2.4-series kernel. I successfully
compiled and ran 2.4.0, 2.4.1, and 2.4.3 on a Red Hat 6.2 box, and it's
glibc-2.1.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:07:24 -0400

Rand Simberg wrote:

> >It may be simpler to get a cheap copy of RH-7.1 and upgrade whole distro.
>
> I've heard that's not a great idea.  I did try 7.0, and deeply
> regretted it.

So did I, but 7.1 is better. (At least, it's not giving me the same
urges to pull out my non-existent hair like 7.0 did, YMMV.)

------------------------------

Subject: A question about choosing hostname.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Johnson)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:54:49 GMT

I am installing a linux server for my wife's company. When it comes to
setting the hostname of the box I figured I need to set it as:

        something.foobarco.com

How does this affect things when I am installing this at home behind a
linksys router where there is no such thing as foobarco.com on this side of
the firewall?

Do I need to worry about it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:39:39 GMT

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:07:24 -0400, in a place far, far away, Steve
Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

>> >It may be simpler to get a cheap copy of RH-7.1 and upgrade whole distro.
>>
>> I've heard that's not a great idea.  I did try 7.0, and deeply
>> regretted it.
>
>So did I, but 7.1 is better. (At least, it's not giving me the same
>urges to pull out my non-existent hair like 7.0 did, YMMV.)

Better than 7.0, or better than 6.2?  :-)

--
simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Replace first . with @ and throw out the "@trash." to email me.
Here's my email address for autospammers: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: any Iomega ZIP USB users?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:44:07 -0500

Ray wrote:

> hi
>
> i'm considering buying an external Iomega Zip 100 USB drive to use with
> my laptop (toshiba sat pro 4340) which has an Intel 82371AB PIIX4 USB
> controller and running linux 2.4.3.
>
> i've looked at
>     http://www.linux-usb.org  (this list the mass storage drv in the
> kernel as experimental?)
>     http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices
>     http://www.iomega.com/software/linuxtools.html
>
> and they seem to indicate that the Iomega zip 100 USB does work,
> although there is mixed reports about the drivers that are availbel for
> this device - the kernel ubs_storage.o and the iomega provided utils
> (for 2.4.0pre).
>
> also, i have heard/read somewhere that different versions of the zip100
> use different protocols, and wondered if this would be a problem when
> using the kernel driver (which i would prefer to use)
>
> if anyone could give me any hints on their current working
> configurations; part numbers from the devices/kernel output would also
> be useful.
>
> thanks for any info
> ray
>
> ps - could ppl CC me on replies - thanks again...

I have a USB Iomega 100 MB zip drive which I use with my laptop
which is running RedHat 7.1 with the 2.4.2 kernel.  It just works
with no special effort on my part.  If it is plugged in, it
appears by magic in /etc/fstab and is mounted on /mnt/zip100.0
or something similar.   The appropriate modules are loaded without
my doing anything.   The mass storage drivers work fine not only
for the zip drive but also for smartmedia card readers.

I haven't checked speed or really pushed the drive, but for the
normal sorts of things I use it for, it works fine.  For example,
I tarred my home directory to a file on it at one point, I think.

I am sending you a copy to you as well as posting it to the
newsgroup, but I'm afraid I don't believe your respond e-mail
address "whatdoineed2do" is real.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest