AFAIK the camera board is connected digitally so the noise is something
that is internal to the camera board.

It is normal that under low light condition the image is noisy. Did you try
taking pictures in full daylight or using some photography lighting?

The noise can be removed in software and the AW chips should have some
image filter which is probably unused as of now.

Thanks

Michal