A few months ago I made this simple Android camera app that records a
sample of camera footage in h.264 to a file. The goal is to sort out
things on Android and then port over to Linux.

https://github.com/jonsmirl/cam

The app works in NV12 mode except the color space is messed up during
replay on VLC. So I tried commenting out a few lines and switching to
YUYV mode.

} else if (!tryFmt(V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV)) {
    mCaptureFormat = V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV; // maybe usb camera
    printf("capture format: V4L2_PIX_FMT_YUYV  \n");

Putting the camera into this mode creates the bug I'm seeing on three
other Allwinner Android devices I have here. The color space is ok,
but something goes wrong in the buffering and the video frames are out
of order. This is a good bug to fix since every device I have here has
it.

Also, what is the standard color space for a h.264 stream?

--
Jon Smirl
jonsm...@gmail.com