On 02/21/14 21:55, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 09:50:59AM -0800, Jeremy Darling wrote:
I've been looking at this board with the 7" touch display as something new
to play with.  But reading the comments on the sellers page it seems many
people haven't had any luck with getting the Linux kernel from them and/or
getting Linux to actually work on it.

After asking on the Arch form I was pointed at the IRC channel.  As I'm not
much of an IRC person and found this list thought I'd try here first.

My questions are:
How far has anyone actually got toward this being a useable general hacking
(hardware) board under Linux?

Is there a basic distro to download to the SD that at least boots and gets
you Keyboard, Display, and Network?

Is it worth the $$ or is it better to get something else (cubieboard2 with
the breakout board seems similar)?

If there isn't a distro, how hard is it to get this up and running for
someone who has a little experience compling drivers and apps for Linux but
not the entire kernal itself?

Any and all info greatly appreciated, I don't have a lot of $$ to waste so
I'd like to make a good purchase the 1st time :)

  - Jeremy

PS: The two projects I was thinking of for this device (or whatever I get)
are a small Node.js Webserver to take to my kids events (they race) to
enter the details of their races on and provide a webpage to other members
of the details of the races.  Nothing fancy; Express.js and LevelUp on the
app side and a small wireless hub hooked to allow general access.  Battery
powered from 12v car plug.  Headless operation.

The other is in the kitchen as a general internet appliance for the wife.
  Calendar, Recipes, Internet Browser.  Using the 7" display.

It's sunxi hw, and it's not documented on our wiki and has no patches
submitted to u-boot-sunxi or sunxi-boards.

To get this hw supported, you need to work through:
http://linux-sunxi.org/New_Device_howto

"This is a concise guide for bringing up your hardware, and for
documenting your hardware in one swoop. It is not rocket-science and
some basic linux skills will suffice. All you need to do is meticulously
follow the text here."
To follow up on Luc's comment here, what he says its to get the basics working. After that, you have your 7" display to get working, which shouldn't be hard and mostly will just work, but if it is a touchscreen, it will need to be a supported one.

That said, on the software side, check out our wiki. You can get up and running with either a single image or debootstrap your own without any programming knowledge.

Olliver

Luc Verhaegen.