Hi John - just saw your post. I think you're looking at a wrong document,
as for A20, the register setting 100 for bits 22:20 is YUV422 16bit - it's
written in the A20 User Manual on page 371. The problem is in fact this
very vague information in the User Manual - it's almost useless. This is
why I'm asking for help from someone who maybe knows the kernel a bit more
- for instance, I'm not even sure which DMA is used for transfers from CSI
to memory, because I have to figure it out from the driver.

I'm also not sure where to search for the driver or more help. This group
seems most professional of all by far - I have tried to contact Allwinner,
but to no avail so far. As for sunxi kernel and drivers, I only know of the
Git branch, but noone there has touched CSI driver for 8 months. Although I
did always look in the 3.4 branch, maybe I should check out mainline...

Anyway, I'll search for the actual solution myself and if I find it post
back - If anyone can speed me up, I'll be most grateful.