Hi Stefan,
I also have the A2000 and did have problems with it booting until MrNuke
fixed the MMC(the latest on sunxi-devel is 3.14.0.rc6). My setup is very
similar to yours(running Debian headless although without any external
devices). Looking at the size of the kernel then it seems that you will
have to configure some of the features that you will need. This is what I
add to the sunxi_defconfig to get the device to boot.
+CONFIG_USB=y
+CONFIG_MMC=y
+#CONFIG_MMC_DEBUG=y
+CONFIG_USB_SUPPORT=y
+CONFIG_PPS=y
+CONFIG_USB_ANNOUNCE_NEW_DEVICES=y
+CONFIG_MMC_SUNXI=y
+CONFIG_RTC_CLASS=y
+CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
+CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y
+#CONFIG_EXT4_DEBUG=y
+CONFIG_BTRFS_FS=y
+CONFIG_FUSE_FS=y
+CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
+CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y
+CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y
+CONFIG_MD=y
+CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_STMICRO=y
+CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
+CONFIG_RTC_DRV_SUNXI=y
+CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM=y
+CONFIG_STMMAC_ETH=y
+CONFIG_PTP_1588_CLOCK=y
+CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_PLATFORM=y
+CONFIG_DM_MIRROR=y
+CONFIG_SPI_SUN4I=y

Some of them are probably not required but this seems to work for me. You
will also need to use Hans' u-boot for the sunxi-devel track.

CK