On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Code Kipper <codekip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jon,
> from what I've seen from the code it looks like Allwinner cripples the
> functionality of the controllers by hardcoding whether the block is used as
> to connect to a I2S device or a PCM device. I've not seen anything reference
> I2S2. With HDMI audio driver I noticed that it referenced the I2S block but
> after stripping everything I2S related out of it; it still seemed to work.
> If you're looking at mainlining work..I would develop a seperate sunxi_i2s
> and a sunxi_pcm and then assign them using the device tree.

I don't think you should have 2 drivers for the same piece of hardware.
Make it configurable from DT.

> On 17 June 2014 23:50, jonsm...@gmail.com <jonsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What do the three I2S controllers on the A20 do?
>>
>> I2S0 - that's the eight channel one
>> I2S1 - this one is two channels
>> I2S2 - what is this one for? Is it part of HDMI?

The user manual does not indicate any particular limitations
for any of the digital audio blocks.

All of them are capable of I2S or PCM. If using I2S, 8-channel output
and 2-channel input. The A10 manual has a list of the register definitions.

HDMI has a separate audio block, that takes raw audio data in a FIFO,
directly from memory using DMA (or PIO).

Cheers,
ChenYu