On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 12:05:54PM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 06:01:25PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> >
> > For now.
>
> Forgive me, I don't have the chance to own a crystal ball.

And logically extrapolating is not one of your strengths either
apparently.

> > It was a consistent scheme, which allwinner followed for many many
> > years.
>
> No, it was not. If it was to be a purely time-driven naming scheme,
> A10s should have been sun6i.

See below. It was consistent.

> > A10s is A13.
>
> [citation needed]

Why else does allwinner call them both sun5i? Why else does A13 have a
fully working hdmi block sitting there?

Citation: my uboot cfbconsole code where i successfully use HPD
detection on A13. This fails nicely, as no hpd pin is exported outside
of the chip, and it is never raised to 5V.

But please go ask our Allwinner contacts or Tom Cubie or something.

> > The A20 design was a stopgap, and the design started after A31 was
> > started. So it was chronological, just not chronological with the
> > release dates.
>
> Yeah, right. So it's chronological, but we have no way to tell, except
> by fully trusting you. The argument of (which?) authority is not
> really something that usually convince me.

It is pretty logical. A31 was named sun6i, A20 was named sun7i. A31 was
a major redesign. A20 was throwing 2 A7s and a second fragment shader,
and some minor fixes onto A10. The latter was either a stopgap, or a
deliberate market decision, it at least took a lot less time to
complete. Hence them both arriving at the same time.

Again, the above is the best logical explanation for events.

> > But this is not consistent with Allwinner naming. Being consistent with
> > allwinner naming would mean renaming most of the upstream code. And then
> > doing it again a few months from now.
>
> It is. You can find some reference to A31 being sun6i, and A20 being
> sun7i. Can you find any reference to A33 being sun10i?

You did find A31 and A20 as sun6i and sun7i when Allwinner was still on
a relatively sane naming scheme. You cannot find these references
anymore on anything allwinner produces today.

So either you go allwinner, or you don't.

> > Sun8i for A23 and A33 will only work until we see allwinner give out the
> > codename for A83, and whether the early marketing noise for it matches
> > reality and it really is a octal A7 with powervr. Something tells me
> > that this is going to be an A80, with less dram channels, less rogue
> > shaders, and with A7s instead of A15.
>
> I guess it could fit into both sun8i and sun9i. But A83 isn't really
> the topic here, is it?

But it is. Or it very much will be, in about 6 months time.

> And even if Allwinner introduces a sun10i for A83, it will only proves
> that we were wrong by trying to stick it to A33.

Or it could end up proving that we were right to not use Allwinners
current scheme, and instead diverged and stuck to Allwinners older,
saner scheme.

> > It will be a very short pain.
>
> Look closer into your crystal ball.

We'd just keep on counting up. Since we wouldn't be calling this chip
sun10iw1p1 but instead sun12i or so, there will be no real discrepancy.
We'd be talking about sun10i without a suffix. And there would be only
minimal room for confusion.

> > But ok, so what do you want to call A33, and do we rename A23 away from
> > sun8i, by adding suffixes there as well?
> >
> > The sun8i<suffix> "solution" is only a band-aid though. Perhaps A83 will
> > fit in this scheme, perhaps not. Something tells me that armv8 is going
> > to seriously kill this, and will require a more permanent solution to
> > this problem.
>
> A more permanent solution to a problem that isn't even a
> problem. Yeah, definitely looks way more important than a proper
> display driver.

Why not?

So you do not want to support any users beyond a20 and a31? And we've
already established that you are against collecting device information
and helping users get a proper linux up on their random android devices.

You do find it necessary to complain about a naming scheme, and then you
go and state that it is not important. Which is it? Is it not important
(especially since it is on software you do not want to care about, as it
is there to help bring up new devices), then why did you care to
complain? If it is important, then why are you not contributing more to
things surrounding and supporting mainline kernel code?

Luc Verhaegen.