On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 10:02:15PM -0700, AndrewDB wrote:
> For what it's worth, I fully support Luc's actions to document Allwinner's
> GPL violations.
>
> I also believe it is in Allwinner's interest to fully comply with the GPL
> and that it's a pity that they don't understand this. How many (extremely
> expensive) engineer-hours has this community generously contributed to
> firmware/software development on Allwinner SOCs? I am positive that
> Allwinner's present market share is in good part the result of this
> community's work (although this assertion is impossible to prove), so why
> not help this community by not having to reverse-engineer so many things?
>
> And finally, last but not least, I firmly believe that it is in the
> interest of this community to have Allwinner fully comply with the GPL and
> freely provide as much documentation as possible. So we should all stand
> behind Luc and not be indifferent or worse, critical of his actions.
>
> Let me explain briefly where I am coming from:
> - First developer to have Linux booting on a dual-core Cortex-A9 AML8726MX
> tablet.  Tried in vain to get any response from Amlogic about cooperation
> with the Linux development community. Dropped development on this platform
> because of total lack of support from Amlogic. Apparently in the last few
> months they have been trying to reverse this situation, but I would say
> it's too little, too late.

FWIW I'm working on mainlining amlogic SoCs and several patches have
been already submitted to LKML for Meson6 and Meson8 architectures. I'm
in contact with a couple of engineers in Amlogic and they seem willing
to help the community. They also promised to provide me with all the
documentation I need. We will see.

--
Carlo Caione