> Until some new SoC part of the sun9i family comes up, and it will just
> add to the confusion.

Maybe, but then again maybe not.  It depends whether such a new member
ever shows up, and whether it has a hardware that's compatible enough
that the code doesn't need to be changed (seems unlikely).

> Such a person would know that the A80 is part of the sun9i family if
> it has some knowledge of the Allwinner SocS.  And if they don't, A80 or
> sun9i or both won't make any kind of difference.

Actually, I'm fairly familiar with Allwinner's family of SoCs, but
I kind of lost track of which Ann corresponds to which sunXi.  If I got
a board, all the documentation would tell me that it's got an A80 on
board, but not that it has a sun9i thingy on board.  So there's a good
chance that a user knows "A80" but not "sun9i".
And last I heard the sunXi designations are a bit unreliable since
Allwinner renumbered them differently (is the A20 a sun7i or a sun8i).

        Stefan