Thanks.  I think I was a little confused at how to use the tarballs.  I
tried using those but now when I boot up I get plastered with:

compat: exports duplicate symbol clk_disable (owned by kernel)

The major driver I was looking at updating was the Atheros ath9k_htc
driver.  Maybe I'll just try to find that independently...