On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Jens Thiele <ka...@karme.de> wrote:
> Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 19-02-15 22:09, Jens Thiele wrote:
>>> would dpms-like functionality work using simplefb with gpio_backlight
>>> (CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_GPIO) if one provides correct information in the .dts
>>> file?
>>
>> I believe that that would depend on your desktop environments, the
>> sysfs backlight interface is typically used by the desktop environment
>> and not by X itself, so if the desktop environment not only makes X server
>> calls to do dpms but also sets the backlight off then yes it should work.
>
> ah, yes thanks!
> would have to take a closer look (again) - but yes, afair x fbdev used
> something like:
> int fd=open("/dev/fb0",O_RDWR)
> ioctl(fd, FBIOBLANK, ...)
>
> as i just use x+wm (no desktop environment) i wouldn't gain that much
> (but yes, it would be nicer anyway)
>
>> It would be better to use the pwm backlight devicetree binding though,
>> that way we can actually control brightness, and the upstream kernel
>> recently has gotten support for the pwm pins on the Axx SOCs.
>>
>> I would certainly welcome patches adding pwm backlight devicetree nodes
>> to supported devices, since we will need those in the future anyways.
>
> Brightness control would be nice. But I will have to learn how this is
> supposed to work, first.

I have 2 untested branches with pwm backlight for the 2 tablets I have:

https://github.com/wens/linux/tree/sun5i-hsg-h702-pwm-backlight
https://github.com/wens/linux/tree/sun8i-pwm-backlight

The DT bits are complete, as support for the AXPs is missing.
(regulators for AXP221/223, GPIOs for AXP209)

This should give you a sample to work on.

ChenYu