On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:13:42PM +0800, ke...@allwinnertech.com wrote:
> Hi, Luc,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
> We have update the Cedarx. What we have done is as follows:
> 1. Update the License text, the media-codec is fully following LGPL;

But it is not, it depends on a strange binary still.

> 2. Splite the binary to submodule media-codec-lib;
>     BTW, the binary is just video engine driver implement in user mode,
>     All code is wrote by Allwinner, based on Allwinner's video engine
>     hardware, no third part used;

Wrong. Even the latest binary has code that originated from
FFMpeg/libavcodec.

It seems that Allwinner has absolutely no control or insight in what
code came from where with Cedar.

> 3. Fix some issue of the code;

Oh? Which?

> With these actions, is there any license issue yet?

Yes.

First off, LGPLed symbols and code remains. I have manually decompiled
the disassembly of one of the functions, and for this function there is
absolutely no doubt that the code originated from FFMpeg/libavcodec, and
that code was always LGPLed.

I will not disclose which symbols and code these are at this point, as
that will only trigger Allwinner to rename/restructure this code, and
then Allwinner will subsequently (falsely) claim to adhere to the
licenses. It is however rocksolid proof that will survive even the
harshest legal scrutiny.

Secondly, removing or hiding LGPLed code does not change the fact that
the LGPL license once applied to the full source tree (and still does).
It also does not change the fact that hundreds of thousands of devices
out there are shipping with LGPL licensed cedar binaries. Allwinner is
still legally bound to release their whole source code for each and
every version Allwinner distributed to any party, when requested by that
party.

> Please help to give a check, if any suggestion, please let me know.
> We will try to fix it ASAP.
> Thanks!

None of the current actions; namely splitting out of the binary into
another repository, removing vp6 support and attached code, absolves
Allwinner in any way. At best, it shows that Allwinner does not
understand or does not want to understand the terms of the (L)GPL.

It is now also extensively proven that Allwinner has no control over the
contents of the Cedar binaries. Allwinners Cedar binaries are tainted in
many many different ways and this wholly illegal software cannot be
distributed and should never have been distributed.

Luc Verhaegen.